• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes that's the album I shared, should be a few photo's from the boat terminal and some from Pandora.... I'm going to write a report once I get home and post it up so the album is just to give some instant insight!

Yes that is the menu from Whispering Canyon, we ate there on our first day!

Are the couches in the BRV comfortable to sleep on? I prefer actual beds which is why I was lamenting standard rooms only sleep 4.

As an aside, what is the best 3rd party hosting photo site for blogs since the photobucket debacle?

Personally I like Flickr since that uploads here inline and you can choose the size. When you upload the photos, then click share, you can choose BBCode and then the size from the dropdown. Copy and paste directly into post or comment
For example:

Are the couches in the BRV comfortable to sleep on? I prefer actual beds which is why I was lamenting standard rooms only sleep 4.
My boys slept on it no problem but they are 3 and 5. I think you can actually get an egg crate brought up from Mousekeeping if you ask.

My kids love sleeping on it and rotate around on it as its the 'Bambi Bed' lol.... I laid on it with my son who is 5 and it is comfortable enough to sleep on, just have to mind your head on the TV overhang but other than that it should be good to go!

Just got back from MK again and managed to be near the front to watch Happily Ever After! It was good viewing but despite all the glitz and glamor, all my kids came away saying 'it was good, but i liked Wishes Better'..... I kind of agree!

I filmed the whole thing in 2.7k so hopefully the footage will be good! Going to try the new pool at BRV tomorrow, its keypad only so I think its DVC only.

Last edited:
We are currently booked December 1 to the 7 at wilderness Lodge and I can tell you those dates have been sold out for quite some time and we are not expecting a discount because of that ... while we can afford to pay rack rate, I would much prefer to switch to GF ( because it also kills me not to get a discount ) since we have already stayed there (WL) and we would like to try something new... just watching and waiting right now but I do suspect that WL will not have any availability in the future during certain times of the year due to the fact that half is now DVC.

With that being said, it is a beautiful hotel and definitely something you should try during Christmas.

I'll log your dates, @MaggiesMomNJ.

(Previously) Is there a difference in the "bugginess" of the sandy path vs the paved path ?

I don't mind encountering non-predator furry creatures like dear and rabbits, but Less Bugs, especially the flying and biting kind, is preferred.

SW

There always used to be a big difference. I had to stop jogging on the Bay Lake trail because they never sprayed out there and I was constantly batting away at flying critters in my sweaty face. They do spray along the concrete trail and throughout FW so that was never an issue, @Starwind.

Please add us for 8/3-8/8/17 WL - Girls Trip. Thank you :banana:

Consider it done, @dmetcalfrn.

Just got back from the World yesterday, and here are my thoughts on the status of the WL, including CCVC and VWL.
- The new landscaping and exterior thematic elements are excellent. They did a lot more with the landscaping than I gave them credit several months ago. It looks as though most of the plants, shrubs, and flowers have been there for years. The GP building melds right into the sense of being in a deluxe wilderness-ish area, while the new pool is very nice to look at. The new cabins are lovely, as well, and the pathway to them all is dotted with animal "tracks" like the older sidewalks have always had. It's a beautiful resort around which to walk.
- The nature trail is kinda sorta still there. There are 26 cabins, 8001-8012 on the north side and 8013-8026 on the south. The farthest cabins from the Lodge are 8001 and 8026. The latter sits nearly a quarter mile from the main lobby. I walked it. Once past 8026, the sandy nature trail still exists, though I'm still not certain that it hooks up to the main paved trail. I did see a Y about 100 yards down but didn't take it. I'll assume it does hit the paved path until told differently.
- The cabins are gorgeous. Disney employees have been staying in the new villas and cabins a night or two at a time in order to check out that everything works. As we strolled down the path by one of the cabins, a Disney employee and her family offered to let us take a look (they were just arriving). While they're not as spacious up close as they appear to be in photos, they're very nice. Kitchen is lovely, but a tad smaller than pictures make it seem. The bathrooms are even lovelier than the pictures, however. They sleep 8: two in the master, three in the 2nd BR (there's a trundle bed), and three in the living area (pull out couch and chair). The porch is screened in and has a picnic table. i think it might have been better to make it smaller and use that to increase living area size, but that's just me. Each unit has a hot tub in the screened in area, as well, and for those with little tykes, there is a security fence around said hot tub. Each cabin has a small post at the pathway with the number easily seen and lights shining on the number so easy to find in the dark. The path itself has light posts along the entire length. Parking for cabins on south side is past the old VWL building and there are a couple of bridges or connecting pathways leading to the parking lot. You're likely better off to park in that lot than the main lot even if the cabin is close to the main Lodge. The north side cabin parking lot sits north of the north wing.
- The cabins on the north side may not be as good a choice as the south side ones. Why? They are right along the boat route to MK, so boats will be coming and going at all hours with their attending horns. We saw fishing expeditions sitting right along the bank of those cabins every single day we took the boat to MK or CR. And don't forget that the sea racers go by there a lot, too, especially since they've reopened Teton Bike and Boat rentals. So, if you wind up in one of those cabins, expect to see and hear a lot of people and horns.
- There are grills. One grill sits near Geyser Point and in front of a couple of cabins, somewhere around 8014 and 8015. No picnic tables but a small covered bench to rest while cooking, I guess. The other grilling area is on the north side near cabin 8006, and it has two grills and two covered picnic tables with an overhead fan.
- Geyser Point still delivers excellent food. Have now eaten there three times--twice for lunch and once for breakfast. Food is way better than RF. No discounts if you order through the bar (though they thought there would be at some point in the future), but they do take at least the AP currently at the quick service window. GP also has great views of the lake even if it is hot during the summer.
- Roaring Fork does not still deliver excellent food. I didn't finish my kid's size portion of Mickey waffles they were so tasteless. Lots of prepackaged foods. Ordering system is clunky. Looks prettier, especially outdoor seating area, but we were extremely disappointed by the food.
- Territory Lounge coffee shop is closed. Sigh.
- Cubs' Den is permanently closed. Not a big deal for us now but would have been 10 years ago.
- Artist Point was superb. That makes three times in a row for a great experience for us.
- Valet parking area has changed. It's now straight ahead as you exit from the drive through entrance to the main lobby. That means the second section of the parking lot which used to be valet is now open parking.
- There is now Copper Creek merchandise in the Mercantile. It's not a lot, but it does exist.
- South bank elevators are now open. That will be a moot point come next Monday when the CC opens up, but if you're headed there in the next few days, you can use those elevators now.
- WL feels more like a deluxe now. . .but I still miss the more wilderness aspect of the old resort. This feels like "produced" wilderness vice actual wilderness. And that makes me sad. I miss my beach. I miss the nature trail starting right near the Teton Rental (which is open, as well). I miss seeing so many trees that helped make the Lodge seem quiet and serene. It was far busier and noisier than in the past since now people have a reason to walk in that area thanks to GP and the new, larger pool. Still, it wasn't exactly loud. . .just moreso than before and I hate that. Of course, if you walk down to the farthest cabins, you're going to feel as though you're remote. :rotfl:

Well, that's it for now. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

Thank you, @sleepydog25 for posting such a thorough review.

We stopped by WL on July 2nd and I took a few pictures. The marina was open and it looked beautiful. The new pool was busy and all of the cabanas were full. The building to the right of the pool as you are looking toward Bay Lake is a maintenance building. It also has fresh towels.

View attachment 251888
View attachment 251900

These are the rental bikes. You can see people playing ping pong at Geyser Point. I'm not sure if this is part of the Community Hall or an area for everyone to enjoy. The sign said CM's only.

View attachment 251891

the entry to the cabins on the Boulder creek villas side

View attachment 251892
cute cabins - lots of landscaping
View attachment 251893

View attachment 251894
View attachment 251895
View attachment 251896
View attachment 251897

Thank you, @Wood Nymph for your frequent photo posting!

Hello....I've been following and just wanted to add our dates. We'll be at WL 12/9 - 12/17. Last time we stayed at Wilderness was for our honeymoon in September of 1999. (Right in time for Floyd.) This time we'll have dd and ds with us. Can't wait! Thank you everyone for sharing pictures and updates.

Congratulations on booking, @minniemorgan and I'll add your dates.

Hi folks! We are staying at WL for the first time Nov 25 - Dec 1 & splurged on club level ... it's only our 2nd family trip to WDW and we're super excited to visit over the holiday season! Our first trip to WDW was in May of last year and we stayed at the Art of Animation. Our kids (6 & 4) still go starry eyed talking about their beloved Lion King room! Even after I've shown photos of the giant Christmas tree in the lobby etc, they still ask to sleep in their Simba bed and so I'm feeling a little guilty about choosing WL. Can anyone offer any words of reassurance? What do your kids of a similar age enjoy about WL? Thank you
:tink:

How exciting, @Clara Fett! I'll log your dates.

Taken 5 minutes ago:

View attachment 254220

We had planned on the Crab Cake Benedict for tomorrow morning! Rats....

Thank you for posting a photo of the very current breakfast menu, @DavidHobart.

Thank you @sleepydog25 for posting such a thorough review.
You're most welcome,and thank YOU for keeping this page in such wonderful shape! :thumbsup2

Also, I can't remember if I complained, er, posted about this earlier, but both eggs benedicts (regular and crab cake) have been removed from the breakfast menu at Geyser Point. Also removed is the superb salmon BLT which had quickly become my favorite sandwich on property. Gone. So, I have to revise my comments about the superb food at GP. What's there is okay, except breakfast has been decimated (also no scrambled egg platter) and lunch is far worse off without that excellent salmon BLT. I guess GP won't be our go to spot, either.

Hi WL folks
I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now. We booked a 1 bedroom at CCV for October 25-Nov1. We've been wanting to stay at WL for years and now we are finally doing it. And fall is the perfect time. I have a question about transportation. How frequent are the early morning busses. We are planing to do a lot of rope drops. Last trip we stayed at GFV and thought it would be great staying at a Monorail resort..... Not so much. It wasn't alway operating and the CMs didn't always know when it would be. We missed several rope drop times because of it. Biggest issue will be AK.

So excited about the Lodge!!!!!!

You're most welcome,and thank YOU for keeping this page in such wonderful shape! :thumbsup2

Also, I can't remember if I complained, er, posted about this earlier, but both eggs benedicts (regular and crab cake) have been removed from the breakfast menu at Geyser Point. Also removed is the superb salmon BLT which had quickly become my favorite sandwich on property. Gone. So, I have to revise my comments about the superb food at GP. What's there is okay, except breakfast has been decimated (also no scrambled egg platter) and lunch is far worse off without that excellent salmon BLT. I guess GP won't be our go to spot, either.

Your bolded comment is so kind, but I have to correct the record...The first two pages of the thread are in desperate need of updating. So many changes have taken place recently, and I'm afraid the first two pages haven't kept up with those changes. Many photos and information need deletion and replacement.

I'm thankful to those who have been posting photos recently as I plan on moving some of them over to the first two pages and updating hyperlinks to menus, etc...Thank you to all who provide timely updates and photos!

Hi WL folks
I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now. We booked a 1 bedroom at CCV for October 25-Nov1. We've been wanting to stay at WL for years and now we are finally doing it. And fall is the perfect time. I have a question about transportation. How frequent are the early morning busses. We are planing to do a lot of rope drops. Last trip we stayed at GFV and thought it would be great staying at a Monorail resort..... Not so much. It wasn't alway operating and the CMs didn't always know when it would be. We missed several rope drop times because of it. Biggest issue will be AK.

So excited about the Lodge!!!!!!

Busses run pretty regularly in the morning. The only one we had problems with was Epcot. We had an 8 am ADR, and thought we'd catch a bus around 7:15. Nothing showed up from 7:00-7:20, so we grabbed a cab. That was not the case the rest of the week. And the MK morning busses start at 6:30. All other busses we're fine in the mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter