• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT Information & Questions

the food court is in centertown. From a previous post, rumor is they would set up a tent beside it. Maybe that's why the pool bar would be down also.
Seems like a pretty detailed email for it to be a glitch. But would be great if it was!

I spoke to WDTC a few minutes ago and the cast member acted like it was no big deal. She said the refurbs would go from "beginning of May to the end of the year", but shouldn't impact an April trip. She said that Disney has never done tents and she doesn't see that happening because there is no precedent for it. She really had no more information than what we already have and read me the email.

Our agent called twice, we called once, Disney isn't going to move us unless we pay the difference at the new resort. So, we are staying at CBR or just canceling the trip. IF we go ahead with the vacation, we have the QS dining plan in our package. Do you think there will be places to fill the mugs? From the email it says Centertown will be only open for breakfast and dinner. I guess that means lunch will be at those designated places with Grab and Go food but what about filling up your mug? So many unknowns still.

For what it's worth, I sent an email asking why it's reasonable to be subjected to renovations and still having to pay as if there are no renovations at all? Email sent only because I can remain more calm and professional than in a phone call.
I requested to be moved to POFQ or POR given that I feel the reno will have some negative effect on my stay....and I asked that I not be charged any extra.

I'll keep you all informed of what (if anything) they will do for me...............BUT I'M NOT AT ALL CONFIDENT THEY WILL DO ANYTING FOR ME !!

Disney isn't in the habit of lowering prices or compensating when construction is going on. Anything granted would be pixie dust.

For what it's worth, I sent an email asking why it's reasonable to be subjected to renovations and still having to pay as if there are no renovations at all? Email sent only because I can remain more calm and professional than in a phone call.
I requested to be moved to POFQ or POR given that I feel the reno will have some negative effect on my stay....and I asked that I not be charged any extra.

I'll keep you all informed of what (if anything) they will do for me...............BUT I'M NOT AT ALL CONFIDENT THEY WILL DO ANYTING FOR ME !!

Ditto action here... staying April 20-27th for Run Disney and I specifically picked this resort (which is not my favorite), but the food court is perfect for race days and the location is close to Epcot. So, in short, for some other vacations, this would not be a huge deal, but for this trip it is... I was on hold for 40 minutes and thought the email route may be better... and I did finish my letter stating I hoped someone could find some "pixie dust" and resolve this situation. I'll post if I get any response... I'm terribly disappointed in the short notice of this major change.

I was so looking forward to trying CBR but am now very frustrated. I know the food court is not a huge deal but it is a convenience we enjoy. I am early May, not sure why I have not received the email yet :\

I spoke to WDTC a few minutes ago and the cast member acted like it was no big deal. She said the refurbs would go from "beginning of May to the end of the year", but shouldn't impact an April trip. She said that Disney has never done tents and she doesn't see that happening because there is no precedent for it. She really had no more information than what we already have and read me the email.

BAHAHAHAHA, did you ask her WHICH YEAR? This is a multi-year project for the whole resort.

Did she not see the tents in the Magic Kingdom, at private parties, at RunDisney events? They own lots of tents. BUT the point here is it looks like they may demo the whole "Centertown" or at least gut it, rebuild it inside and out. Unless they are going to do bits at a time ... but it makes more time/money sense to go full force and move food to a temporary location. I can't think of any other resort renovation of this magnitude to the "main hub and dining space" in recent years so precedent doesn't come into play.

Our agent called twice, we called once, Disney isn't going to move us unless we pay the difference at the new resort. So, we are staying at CBR or just canceling the trip. IF we go ahead with the vacation, we have the QS dining plan in our package. Do you think there will be places to fill the mugs? From the email it says Centertown will be only open for breakfast and dinner. I guess that means lunch will be at those designated places with Grab and Go food but what about filling up your mug? So many unknowns still.

When the value food courts were down (and that is only option for refills) they put portable soda etc fountains in the arcade with the grab and go. Since Coke has created those kiosks I expect you will see those located by the food options where ever they are plus coffee etc.

Disney isn't in the habit of lowering prices or compensating when construction is going on. Anything granted would be pixie dust.
Completely understand, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Why are consumers always expected to pay more to get a satisfactory outcome ? I'll be surprised at any positive response from Disney.

So in the history of Disney, no one ever was placed in a similar situation and Disney did nothing for them?

We are booked at CBR 4/23 to 4/28. I just talked with a guest relations cast member and she insisted that renovations to Centertown will start May 1. She said anyone staying at CBR prior to May 1 will experience zero construction.

Ditto action here... staying April 20-27th for Run Disney and I specifically picked this resort (which is not my favorite), but the food court is perfect for race days and the location is close to Epcot. So, in short, for some other vacations, this would not be a huge deal, but for this trip it is... I was on hold for 40 minutes and thought the email route may be better... and I did finish my letter stating I hoped someone could find some "pixie dust" and resolve this situation. I'll post if I get any response... I'm terribly disappointed in the short notice of this major change.

I'm also going for Dark Side and I make tea in the food court every morning, but especially on race mornings and will often grab something quick to eat at the food court after the race. So not having a food court would negatively impact my stay. But the cost of moving would be significant, especially at this time of year when I can't get a military discount. I'm curious to hear what both you and @DisneyRookie2007 get as a response, if any.

BAHAHAHAHA, did you ask her WHICH YEAR? This is a multi-year project for the whole resort.

Did she not see the tents in the Magic Kingdom, at private parties, at RunDisney events? They own lots of tents. BUT the point here is it looks like they may demo the whole "Centertown" or at least gut it, rebuild it inside and out. Unless they are going to do bits at a time ... but it makes more time/money sense to go full force and move food to a temporary location. I can't think of any other resort renovation of this magnitude to the "main hub and dining space" in recent years so precedent doesn't come into play.

I totally agree. She kept referencing the French Quarter food court redo, but I mentioned to her that this sounds like they are renovating ALL OF Centertown and she said, well maybe food will be in the shopping areas or the arcade, but they will still have hot items not just grab and go like the All Stars. I was just annoyed that she had no more information then I did, but then wanted to act like it was no big deal and wouldn't negatively impact any guests during their vacation. She was very dismissive.

We are booked at CBR 4/23 to 4/28. I just talked with a guest relations cast member and she insisted that renovations to Centertown will start May 1. She said anyone staying at CBR prior to May 1 will experience zero construction.

This is what I was told as well.

I totally agree. She kept referencing the French Quarter food court redo, but I mentioned to her that this sounds like they are renovating ALL OF Centertown and she said, well maybe food will be in the shopping areas or the arcade, but they will still have hot items not just grab and go like the All Stars. I was just annoyed that she had no more information then I did, but then wanted to act like it was no big deal and wouldn't negatively impact any guests during their vacation. She was very dismissive.[/QUOTE]

I think we must have gotten the same cast member!! The lady I spoke to was really dismissive and rude! It almost felt like she was reading me a line of BS just to get me off the line. Is there an absolute guarantee that renovations won't start prior to May 1?

When WL underwent renovations last year, guests received $100 per night credit to their account if they stayed, others who refused, were put in other hotels at no extra cost. Apparently they really had to fight for this as Disney refused any compensation at first. There's lots about this on the UK Dibb forum.
We received the email today, we've phoned and been advised to email our concerns to Disney UK. Not happy at all.

Begins at beginning of may with work in centertown.
Dining and merchandising will be closed
parts of Martinique / Barbados. closed during may.

Food available in 3 towns
coke towers throughout resort for refillable mugs

completed next 2 years.

Some of the things he told me. Offered to move me to a different resort (at my expense.) Next available resort to accomodate my party costs 1500USD more for my stay.

Currently waiting to speak to someone else, above him.

I'm catching up on info about the renovations and this is totally stressing me out now. I don't have our next trip planned yet, but am debating on whether or not to renew my AP this week or let it lapse and purchase a new one before my July solo trip. I just have to figure out when we'd be doing our next family trip but this puts a bit of a wrench into it. As a family of five with a budget CBR and POR are really our only options. I'm assuming this is going to make it really hard to get POR rooms and maybe even more so with the AP discounts we normally use.

Noise I can handle. No food court, arcade, etc. not so much. If I renew my pass this week our family trip would likely be somewhere in Nov/Dec or latest would be February(least favorite option). If I hold off and purchase it in July we'd go our usual favorite time of year end of April/May 2018. But I guess there isn't any way to know when they'll have the food court and such completed. Ugh. I only have a few days to decide on my AP plans and wasn't expecting this.

Why do they have to mess with my favorite resort?!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter