Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

yes i dont get the princess vibe either. Its in the atrium and one of the shows and arrendale.
It’s also every single stateroom. For people who don’t like princesses or think boys can’t like princesses, I think you’ll be hard pressed to convince them that 100% princess themed rooms and stateroom hallways is well balanced theming.

I can respect that point of view. I just don't put enough faith in the impressions from someone's YT video to know how much I would enjoy something, I like to experience it myself and make up my own mind. I know I enjoy DCL's product overall, so I'm confident I'll get my money's worth, even if I decide I like the Fantasy better. I like to try the new thing so I can compare, even if there's a chance it may not be my favorite. But that's me, everyone has a hundred factors they use to decide how they spend their money. I can see why some would prefer less of the in your face entertainment at dinner, I might too, I'll find out.

I don't really get a "Princess overload" vibe from what I've seen, but again I'll see for myself. You have the Frozen dinner show, and one of the theater shows is Little Mermaid, etc but to me it seems like there's plenty of Marvel, Star Wars, pirates, and other Disney stuff to balance it out. They Bayou Lounge seems like it's more based on New Orleans than Tiana. I definitely get not every ship is for every family. If you decide to stick with it, I hope you love it!
My first impression from YT videos was very “young” and princess everywhere.
Don’t get me wrong, I love princesses. Lol. Little Mermaid & Beauty & the Beast, are my fav movies of all times. Followed by Frozen.
I just didn’t want that everywhere. Especially for my husband and son, as we have sailed on Royal lately and there is also something to be said for just “cruising”.
Having said all that, I am already starting to feel different about the Wish, that maybe it’s not over the top princess. Maybe it doesn’t skew that young. Those were my first impressions and for my family it wasn’t that I would never try the Wish, but after not having been on DCL for 4 years now, I started to wonder if let’s say the Fantasy is a better fit for THIS august vacation.
We do enjoy the entertainment with dinner go a degree, but not most of the time (we will stick with rotational dining for this cruise) but… someone in our cruise group said you can request 1923 twice. That’s probably what we’ll do.
I’m going to think until the end of this week, but now leaning towards just keeping our original plans with the Wish. If we change to Fantasy we would have to change most of our Disney World plans.
Like you, I am also now just wanting to experience the Wish for myself and if it’s one and done for us, I’m sure it will still be very enjoyable. As you said, we enjoy the Disney product overall.

This is one of the first articles that I've read that actually seems honest.

Definitely what my expectations were going in to the Wish honestly. I am interested to see how the adult spaces play out. No matter how much they seem to "focus on the adult only spaces" it seems like those spaces always get the shaft and don't pan out.

We are looking at Feb 23 for our sailing on the Wish. It may be a one and done but should be exciting to try new things.

My DD and I are sailing on the Wish next august. We have watched a few of the bloggers to get different takes. Overall we love what we see. The art work in the cabins are very tasteful and especially love the murals behind the beds. We are excited and look forward to experiencing everything for ourselves!

I think any kind of review, be it cruise, park, food, movie, book, product, etc. should be taken with a grain of salt. They are all, after all, one person's opinion. Look at the video to get a sense of the space, the layout, etc. Like another poster, I used to review books for a web site, I even wrote a few blurbs for back book covers. My problem always arose when I'd turn the review in and the head of the committee would ask me to change it or tell me I need to do a quick turn around because the author wanted it before the book came out. Nope, not happening. The last review I wrote for the website I actually did change my rating by 1/2 star but did not change what I had written. The editor did take a line or two out and that was it for me. It was a web site for authors to submit their work, get beta readers, editors, etc. After a review was posted on the site, we had to post it on Amazon and Goodreads as well using the tag line that it was originally for this web site. I do occasionally post a review on Amazon for a product or book and I'm honest. Readers of my reviews and authors knew that in the beginning and actually appreciated it. But, it was just my opinion. Maybe I wasn't a fan of that genre or that particular writing style. Or maybe I love a view of the ocean and am willing to put up with a musty smelling room or some wear and tear or pay a little more because that is what I like. Others will feel different.

I would have preferred if they had kept the rooms neutral and nautical instead of covered in princess-theme wallpaper and decorations. Sometimes you want a break from all the characters and IP, it's one of the reasons why I've never stayed at Art of Animation. One thing I loved about the Wonder was that it isn't tacky over the top, it feels like sailing on a White Star ship only with Disney shows, restaurants, and kids clubs.

I would have preferred if they had kept the rooms neutral and nautical instead of covered in princess-theme wallpaper and decorations. Sometimes you want a break from all the characters and IP, it's one of the reasons why I've never stayed at Art of Animation. One thing I loved about the Wonder was that it isn't tacky over the top, it feels like sailing on a White Star ship only with Disney shows, restaurants, and kids clubs.

Honestly, that's what I think I will miss with this ship.

One of the things that I liked the most about the original 4 was the emphasis on connection to the ocean. To my mind, this just feels like a floating hotel looking at the pictures. Without the Promenade on 4 and missing a lot of things that I loved about the classic ships, I'm intrigued to see if it bothers me/causes as many issues for us as I think it might.

The real determining factor will be if they create the next ship for longer voyages and make adjustments to accommodate 7 nights/etc. I can say looking at the pictures that 3-4 nights will probably have us ready to get off the Wish.

The staterooms don't bother me much since its just different artwork in the rooms and not like, Caribbean Beach Pirate rooms with ridiculous furniture etc. I will say though that it could be problematic if you got something that you really hate for the artwork. I liked that the old artwork was mostly consistent with a few variations here and there.

I love seeing the reviews from the Disney Wish, but have to admit I am a little annoyed (or is it jealous) at all the bloggers that got to go on the cruise for free. I know they work hard for their money, but how much can we really trust any of the reviews? They all had variations of the same headline after the first day ("What I learned after 24 hours on the Disney Wish", "Surprises on the First Day of the Disney Wish", "7 Ways the Disney Wish Surprised me in the First 24 hours"). The titles of their articles all make it seem like they were fed what to write about on their blogs.
If I was on a trip for free, there is no way I am going to write anything negative. I want to be invited back for another trip in the future :) The reviews all seem to contain glowing reviews with one area for improvement (put in for effect in my conspiratorial mind to make there reader believe they are being truly objective).
I remember one time one of the people on the cruise stayed at Disney Springs area hotel and said it was the best hotel ever - I stayed there afterwards and the place was hands down the worst hotel I ever stayed at. When I actually commented on his blog - he did disclose he got his room for free and was upgraded to a newly remodeled suite - neither of which of course I received. He did not disclose that in his initial review.
I like that they disclose the cruise is free for them, but I don't think disclosing it makes it clear they are going to be objective - they want to please Disney as well as entertain their readers.
Not to say anything is necessarily wrong with what they are doing, and obviously the reviews and blogs work or there is no way Disney would fund such a trip, but I think it is best to wait until the paying customers start reviewing to get a true sense of what the ship will be like. I am on a b2b in September so will have a few months of reviews to enjoy before I board.
You are completely right. This media cruise is more for promotion and for Disney to have the opportunity to promote the new ship. All of the channels I follow had their own footage of the same things. I devoured it bc I just wanted real footage instead of artist's renderings. I don't expect anything to be actual review from that sailing. Pete has promised a real Review and full show on DCL fan after the inaugural sailing that starts on the 14th. I expect that to be very candid and fair with pros and cons bc Pete never disappoints. DCL fan and Dis unplugged only "review" what they pay for and are very transparent about if they are being comped or doing an actual review.

I agree. I'm not sure how I would pack for 7 nights on the Wish with tiny closets and no drawers!

SO GLAD I WASNT THE ONLY ONE. We aren't heavy packers but I regularly would find myself on the Dream/Fantasy looking for the steamer trunk set of drawers on the Magic 😂

I have no idea how I would make a longer cruise on the Wish work...

I agree. I'm not sure how I would pack for 7 nights on the Wish with tiny closets and no drawers!
That's one of the first things I noticed! We have a back to back scheduled next month and the first thing I thought of when I saw the TV on the wall was that the chest of drawers that is usually there is gone. Most of the videos from this media cruise had the Murphy bed which has a little bit of extra storage but we are in a category 5B so I won't have that either. I plan to pack lighter and enjoy the fairytale laundry room :)

It’s also every single stateroom. For people who don’t like princesses or think boys can’t like princesses, I think you’ll be hard pressed to convince them that 100% princess themed rooms and stateroom hallways is well balanced theming.
Fair point about the stateroom decor. I was thinking more about the activities. I'm not the biggest fan of it either I must say. The nautical feel with Disney "touches" is preferable.

This review was recently posted in a DCL FB group.
I'm not going to lie, This is EXACTLY the reaction I was expecting from seasoned cruisers with DCL. It seems like Magic/Wonder to Dream/Fantasy was a much easier transition. I'd be surprised if this ship didn't alienate a lot of people from what they expected.

The Palo note is concerning but then again, with this being previews etc. they gotta have some time to get up to speed. I would like to know what the issue there is.

I wouldn’t judge the nightlife until the ship has its first paying customers.

However so many people have commented on the elevators being an issue and also the poor design of the ship and the adult parts being really small. Disappointing that they have given lots of space to luxury shopping and seemingly not enough space to adults.

Perfect description of how I feel. - especially the part about Disney inviting vloggers before paying customers.. it's a slap in the face.I get doing a pre-MV cruise with celebrities, Disney executives, but freacking 'influencers' before your loyal clientele? such a bad call.

Are you referring to the guy with like 4 kids? He's so annoying and his excessive overjoy looks so contrived... when he goes on the verandah in his room and says: "OMG you guys look, the ocean!!.... *facepalm*
buddy, you're like 50, not 15, you sound so cringe... I seriously loathe these fake people who constantly hustle for freebies and call themselves 'influencers' ...
Very true, and I have seen some of these blogs. I have loved Disney since 1980.. DVC member since 1999, and we go to Disney 2 times/year and been on DCL only once. I feel as if I could be a good "blogger" if I wasn't so old.:rotfl2: I am a retired teacher, and can talk and love all things DVC,Disney,hotels, how to save $ at the parks/etc. But yeah... SOME of these bloggers... UGH! Over the top!!

Very true, and I have seen some of these blogs. I have loved Disney since 1980.. DVC member since 1999, and we go to Disney 2 times/year and been on DCL only once. I feel as if I could be a good "blogger" if I wasn't so old.:rotfl2: I am a retired teacher, and can talk and love all things DVC,Disney,hotels, how to save $ at the parks/etc. But yeah... SOME of these bloggers... UGH! Over the top!!
All the more reason to become a b/vlogger, your age is an advantage as most of them are 20s-40s. Most of them are single, young couples or young families. You can bring a new perspective.

If you haven’t watched the one posted above then I felt that was a fair assessment and they were a lot more honest than I expected anyone on the media cruise to be.
Can you give a link? I went to that website but only found a lot of clips, not one coherent review.

All the more reason to become a b/vlogger, your age is an advantage as most of them are 20s-40s. Most of them are single, young couples or young families. You can bring a new perspective.
Well, thanks for that "vote of confidence"! But, living 7 hours away from WDW, probably a little hard for me to do many videos! Believe me, if I lived closer, I would consider it! I love to talk (ask my DW) and have been to WDW so many times, I could make a good video... Oh well, I can dream....

The DIS has a blanket policy where they make clear if an experience was paid for by Disney. Pete will not do a "review" of anything that the DIS didn't pay for themselves. The DIS will however report accurately about what they see/do even on a "free" trip.

Keep in mind that we are talking about people who are real Disney fans. Their perspective may be different from yours.
Correct and Pete is sailing on the Maiden Voyage so I’m sure we’ll get another round of his thoughts on the show after that.

I’m on the MV also. I’ve been avoiding any pictures and videos as I want to experience it all first hand with my own eyes and thoughts. It’s already paid and committed but if it were further out, I’d definitely be watching. I’ll be sure to do a full trip report on the boards when we get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter