Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

Staggered that so many people care so much about a painting in your room. How does it possibly impact your holiday one way or another?

i have no care for princesses but all the paintings ive seen look aesthetically pleasing. Will it impact my holiday or my kids holiday one bit? Nope.

I’m only on page 3 of reading this thread but I am guessing I’m just really naive! I have watched several of the vloggers from the christening cruises and I am happy to get a glimpse of what we will experience on our cruise in September. I just take their reviews for what it’s worth. I love the fact that Pete and the DIS won’t review something they get for free. We all have eyes. We can see from the vloggers what they are seeing. I trust my eyes more than my ears.
i for one, am so excited for our first Disney cruise! I’ve cruised half a dozen times on different cruise lines but this cruise is going to be something special.

Staggered that so many people care so much about a painting in your room. How does it possibly impact your holiday one way or another?

i have no care for princesses but all the paintings ive seen look aesthetically pleasing. Will it impact my holiday or my kids holiday one bit? Nope.
Yup, all of the stateroom art looks great. But if the staterooms are basically interchangeable, and you may not cruise on the Wish again for some time, why not try to reserve one with the decor of your favored princess? Just a fun thing, like choosing your horse on the carousel.

Yup, all of the stateroom art looks great. But if the staterooms are basically interchangeable, and you may not cruise on the Wish again for some time, why not try to reserve one with the decor of your favored princess? Just a fun thing, like choosing your horse on the carousel.
Ofcourse nothing wrong to try to choose a room with a character you like. its a bit of fun. But some posters are claiming they are reconsidering the wish cos its too princess themed for their boys in large part because the cabins only have princess paintings. This just seems to be a bit odd to me. Surely its the theme of the activities and shows that matter. I doubt any kids would care about the painting above their parents bed for more then a couple of seconds.

we have star wars cargo bay, hero academy, an aladdin show and world of marvel dining restaurant. Seems like there is heaps of ip for boys to enjoy as well.

Ofcourse nothing wrong to try to choose a room with a character you like. its a bit of fun. But some posters are claiming they are reconsidering the wish cos its too princess themed for their boys in large part because the cabins only have princess paintings. This just seems to be a bit odd to me. Surely its the theme of the activities and shows that matter. I doubt any kids would care about the painting above their parents bed for more then a couple of seconds.

we have star wars cargo bay, hero academy, an aladdin show and world of marvel dining restaurant. Seems like there is heaps of ip for boys to enjoy as well.
About the only way I see cruising on Disney again will be if I take my granddaughters. As they are 3 years old, and 4 months old that probably won't happen for about 12 years and even the Wish will probably have been through a couple of dry docks and remodels.

I'm trying hard not to feel irked about it, but I don't recall them doing "christening" cruises before either and I admit it is definitely taking some of the wind out of my sails at being "first". Now we feel like second class citizens to their chosen ones. OK I guess I AM obviously irked... I certainly do not feel like its as big a deal as I thought it might be now. It was exciting thinking I could answer questions and get the info out there for the DIS but that is all done, so now its "just" a regular cruise really. First suckers to pay is all, not first guests anymore.

I think they've always done it, people just don't remember it because it was 10 years ago (and YouTube wasn't as big). So, any news reports that did occur - people probably wouldn't have remembered seeing it before the maiden voyage.

For example, Here's a POV ride for AquaDuck - which was published by the DIS on March 27, 2012. The Christening was March 3, 2012 (in NYC), and the Maiden Voyage wasn't until March 31, 2012.

Then there's video of Castaway Cay with the Dream passing by the Fantasy - which was published by the DIS on March 27, 2012 indicating that it occured on March 25, 2012.

In addition, to normal preview cruises for the media, there's usually also shakedown cruises ahead of time (with select guests to ensure everything is operational and in ship shape). The maiden voyage is the first paying guests, but almost never the first "guests" on a ship.

Oh, agreed that if I can sit through a Marvel dinner, the boys can put up with a couple of princess paintings in the room! That said, the Wish does seem to have a more "feminine" look to it, so I could see some boys past a certain age preferring the more "masculine" design of the prior ships if given a choice. But surely, the parents noted the concept photos of the Cinderella stateroom design that would have come up when they booked their Wish cruise? And as you say, most kids will probably not even notice or care.

So agree with this. Yet it doesn't stop the adults from being all concerned. I have no idea why.
Probably because everything has to be "perfect" nowadays and we have a tendency to want to control every detail in vacations.

How many people on this board get stressed over getting ADRs or FPs and talk like the vacation is ruined if they cannot get a specific thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if some have lost track of what makes a good vacation.

I can understand the stateroom decoration issue for some as a sum of its parts. If you have an issue with the overtheming of the ship, then this can be an extra or final straw.

I am not a big fan of themed hotelrooms, because a. I am usually paying extra for it, and b. I like my rooms to be a peaceful retreat. Disney holidays are quite loud and overstimulating with lights and sounds everywhere all the time, I would prefer a more neutral room. But to me, it's not a big deal. It is a background picture from a movie, not characters everywhere. The royal guest rooms at Port Orleans are worse.

We've only cruised on DCL but we're relaxed cruisers. Our optimal cruise is 3 or 4 days. We did a 5 day once and the better half got so bored he shot basketball. In 5 cruises we've seen 1 stage show and 1 magician show. I avoid the children areas like we'll catch the plague and we only enjoy Cabanas the first day. I've had 3 spa treatments so 'been there/done that', mainly because I wasn't impressed. We don't care enough about food to spend extra $ on Palo and Remy. We've done a few tastings and excursions. I always want to take in a movie and have yet to do so. We do usually skip at least 1 MDR dinner (usually the Castaway day) because, really, how much food do you need? Used the pools twice and have never tried a hot tub (because I'm usually too hot already). Our main focus is to enjoy our veranda and the top deck of the ship at night. We eat breakfast in our room and hit the sports bar each night.

I was really looking forward to the Disney Wish but does anyone else feel like it's underwhelming after following the Christening? I saw some of the ride cams for the Aquamouse and it really didn't look like anything extraordinary. I have a cruise booked next year on the Wish and I'm thinking about canceling, lol. All I heard about was the $5,000 drink and saw pics of the upscale suites and those are definitely things that my family can't afford.
Yeah, I get the same vibe. After seeing the walk throughs of the ship, it does seem underwhelming. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic and that their concentration seems to be making sure you reach a bar every 15 feet. The Marvel restaurant, which I was excited about, also looks disappointing. But I'll better judge it after we've tried it. We are going on the 7/22 Wish sailing and I kind of "wish" we were going on the Dream. Maybe next year.

Yeah, I get the same vibe. After seeing the walk throughs of the ship, it does seem underwhelming. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic and that their concentration seems to be making sure you reach a bar every 15 feet. The Marvel restaurant, which I was excited about, also looks disappointing. But I'll better judge it after we've tried it. We are going on the 7/22 Wish sailing and I kind of "wish" we were going on the Dream. Maybe next year.
I’m on the MV this Thursday. I’ve been avoiding reading any reviews or watching any videos for this reason. I want to experience it first hand and not have any pre-conceived ideas. We LOVE the Dream, she’s our home away from home. I’ll write up an honest trip report when I get back with the DW and I’d thoughts and feelings. Going in with low expectations and we shall see where we end up.

I'm amazed by how many people are writing off the ship before she actually sails with paying passengers.

Kind of reminds me of the Skyliner discussion when it was first announced.
I agree that there is not enough information to write it off. I’m also amazed by the people who just KNOW that everything is going to be done just right and are fighting tooth and nail to tell other people they are wrong (not you.)

From what I’ve seen there are things that look like improvements and things that don’t appeal to me. We are reserved for March 2023, so unless some really drastic information comes out one way or another, I’ll wait and pass final judgement after I’ve had a chance to experience it for myself.

One of the balanced reviews wrote that one of the main downsides of the wish is that its going to make it harder to go back to the old ships. Cos the wish does some things so much better.

I was really looking forward to the Disney Wish but does anyone else feel like it's underwhelming after following the Christening? I saw some of the ride cams for the Aquamouse and it really didn't look like anything extraordinary. I have a cruise booked next year on the Wish and I'm thinking about canceling, lol. All I heard about was the $5,000 drink and saw pics of the upscale suites and those are definitely things that my family can't afford.
Agree the Aquamouse looks super underwhelming. My 10 year old is bored of all the slides and wants to do RC instead. The reviews I’ve seen the Wish is more geared towards little kids or hardcore Disney fans (I am the latter but gotta keep kids happy). Hope they add some big water slides to lighthouse point or we will switch over to RC for the tween/ teen years.

One of the balanced reviews wrote that one of the main downsides of the wish is that its going to make it harder to go back to the old ships. Cos the wish does some things so much better.
Do you remember which things the Wish does better?

We are on the maiden voyage and the following DVC sailing and couldn't be more excited about our upcoming adventures. We have two kids that will be sailing with my wife and I, but they re both adults now. This will be our first Disney sailing where all of us can enter the adult areas and restaurants. Kind of looking forward to that, although it's a little odd to have drinks in a bar with your kids. :) All of the coverage by influencers, mainstream media and video bloggers has only heightened our anticipation to get on board and explore. We have sailed nearly every itinerary category Disney offers, although these next two cruises are about the ship and not the destinations. Lately we have been on Celebrity and RCCL cruises and can't wait to get back to Disney. Super excited about Enchanté and the new Palos concept. Both restaurants look amazing and the Rose bar, especially at night looks to be a fantastic place to hangout. I appreciate that DCL kept the fundamentals of their cruise concept, such as split bathrooms and rotational dining of which we missed with the other cruise lines, but are pushing experiences to be more encompassing and immersive. The Celebrity Apex was nice, but kind of boring and the RCCL ships were just generic. The Disney Wish looks to be anything but that... 12 more days! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter