Disney Traffic

Seth Griffith

Earning My Ears
I am staying at a home in Davenport, Florida for my Disney vacation. We are going August 13th. The House is supposed to be about 20 minutes away from the park, but that's with no traffic. I am wanting to get to the parks early so I can get in line for the big name attractions so I don't wait in the longest line possible, I was wondering what the average traffic is like around this time and how early I should leave in order to get to the parks early?

Well, that would really depend where in Davenport you are. Traffic is all relative to what you're used to. If you are in a major urban area (Atlanta, Boston, D.C., etc...) traffic isn't bad around Disney, no matter when you go. It's just not. You'll get some traffic lights that have some congestion, but no true city gridlock stuff. It very well may only be a 20 minute drive from where you are, but if you give a bit more details we can give you more info. Don't forget to factor in time to take the tram (or walk) from the parking lot, get through security, etc... Plus if you're going to MK, add another 10-15 minutes for the monorail/ferry. Another variable will be what park you're going to. Not sure if you've been to WDW before, but the entrance to WDW is more like a highway. From the first "Welcome" sign, the park you want to go to may be right there or 4 miles away.

The places we stay at are all around 15-20 minutes drive to the parks at most, and we figure 40-50 minutes from our front door until we tap into the parks.

What big name attractions are you trying to get in line for? You may not need to get there as early as you think, and/or you can use FP+ to help avoid that need.

We're trying to get there early so we can do stuff like Flight of Passage because we couldn't grab a fastpass for it as well as Frozen Ever After in Epcot. We are staying right next to Lake Davenport. Also from there, what is the best way to enter each parks Parking lot?

Assume you are going to be coming up SR27 to I-4? Don't know that stretch of 27, but it isn't very built up in that area, so I expect morning rush would be reasonable. I would generally get off I-4 at World Dr. for the parks, but I-4 is unpredictable for traffic. You can also go up 429 (toll) to Western Way to cut out some of I-4 if it is jammed in the morning (although that I-4 stretch seems worse in the afternoon IMO). Get a SunPass if you plan to use 429 a bit, not all of the booths have attendants. And as @Klayfish says, don't forget to factor in all the additional time after you get on property for parking, trams, monorails, bag check etc.

One easy suggestion to get the times you need is to check google maps a few mornings now at the time you would expect to be travelling to the parks in August. Use the exact address of your place in Davenport. It will show you a fairly accurate time to the parking lot of each park including current traffic, and let you compare different routing options.

And BTW Seth, :welcome:to DIS!

OK, that's a bit further out then we usually stay, but I'd think your best bet would be to take 27 to I-4. From there, check traffic maps. I don't think I-4 is packed like major cities in morning rush hour, but it has traffic. If so, you can jump off I-4 at several different spots to hit WDW...429 north to Western Way would be the best alternative. As for the best way to enter the parking lots, it'll depend on where you get off I-4. There are a few exits. The signs will be clearly labeled...both on I-4 and when you get off. Like I said, WDW entrance is more like a highway. In many spots it's 4-5 lanes wide and traffic flows 55-60 mph. Follow the signs to the park of your choosing. One tip...when you get to the parking lot toll plaza, if it's during morning rush, everyone seems to go for the middle booths. Look far left or far right for a much shorter line.

Yes, for Flight of Passage, you'll need to show up incredibly early if you don't want to wait in line. But trust me, for Frozen, not necessary. Until about 10:30am, the line is very short. We were there just a few weeks ago. More than once, we got to the ride between 9:30am and 10:30am and never waited more than 10 minutes...one time we literally walked right on. They don't give out FP+ for that ride until 11am at the earliest, so from 9-11am it's all standby. Keeps the line really short.

One easy suggestion to get the times you need is to check google maps a few mornings now at the time you would expect to be travelling to the parks in August. Use the exact address of your place in Davenport. It will show you a fairly accurate time to the parking lot of each park including current traffic, and let you compare different routing options.

Good advice. But, you don't need to be online and awake at the exact time you're planning on driving any longer. All the major mapping websites now let you enter a date and time to get a route. You can choose "leave at" or "arrive by" in the options. The software will provide a time and distance that is based on historical traffic data.

From the Lake Davenport area you might find heading up 27 to 192 and then east to WDW. 192 will be busy and there are a number of lights but it will probably still be faster than heading all the way south on 27 to I-4. I-4 in that area can get very busy.

If you are headed to Animal Kingdom you will probably want to turn off of 192 onto Sherberth Rd rather than go all the way to World Dr and then back on Osceola Parkway. Spend some time with your favorite mapping program and you will figure it out.

Also, as writerguyfl said, you can enter your travel time into the mapping programs.

Follow post 7 above . NH-to-FL is correct AND IF you stay on Osceola Parkway

You should follow the Disney Signs with a LEFT turn .

From the Lake Davenport area you might find heading up 27 to 192 and then east to WDW. 192 will be busy and there are a number of lights but it will probably still be faster than heading all the way south on 27 to I-4. I-4 in that area can get very busy.

If you are headed to Animal Kingdom you will probably want to turn off of 192 onto Sherberth Rd rather than go all the way to World Dr and then back on Osceola Parkway. Spend some time with your favorite mapping program and you will figure it out.

Also, as writerguyfl said, you can enter your travel time into the mapping programs.

South on 27? From Davenport? They are going to Disney not Miami?

192 is quite a bit North of the I-4. Even with a bit of traffic, I would expect that stretch of I-4 to be better than 192, and gives the option of 429 if the traffic is heavy on I-4.

South on 27? From Davenport? They are going to Disney not Miami?

192 is quite a bit North of the I-4. Even with a bit of traffic, I would expect that stretch of I-4 to be better than 192, and gives the option of 429 if the traffic is heavy on I-4.

Lake Davenport is about 2 miles from Hwy 192 ( going North on Hwy 27 )

And is about 6 miles going SOUTH on Hwy 27 to I-4

The city of Davenport is way SOUTH on Hwy 27 and about 10 miles beyond I-4 And on Hwy 17 92

Postal Code for Hampton Lakes & Lake Davenport is FL 33897

Davenport area is from outside of Haines City to nearly Walmart at Cagans Crossing about 20 miles

Lake Davenport is about 2 miles from Hwy 192 ( going North on Hwy 27 )

And is about 6 miles going SOUTH on Hwy 27 to I-4

The city of Davenport is way SOUTH on Hwy 27 and about 10 miles beyond I-4 And on Hwy 17 92

Postal Code for Hampton Lakes & Lake Davenport is FL 33897

Davenport area is from outside of Haines City to nearly Walmart at Cagans Crossing about 20 miles
OP said they were staying in Davenport, not at Old Lake Davenport. I guess I assumed it would be nearer to the town of Davenport (33836/7).

Last edited:

We just stayed in a community right off 192, only a mile east of where it hits 27. I agree that 192 really isn't all that bad to travel down, even with the lights. However, we never turned onto Sherberth Road because the line backing up to make that left was insane. It would take several light cycles to get through. We could just go straight and get to WDW faster, even if it did require a bit of backtracking.

However, we never turned onto Sherberth Road because the line backing up to make that left was insane. It would take several light cycles to get through. We could just go straight and get to WDW faster, even if it did require a bit of backtracking.

Klayfish, I bow to your experience. I only went that way once off peak time. I am down in the champions Gate area so I-4 and World Drive make more sense for me. Even though it is getting very busy and slow at the I-4 entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter