Disney reimburses unsuspecting customer

OK, I have been reading this thread, basicly because it was entertaining....but I am surprised that so many people are finding this as a 100% wrong one way or another idea. The truth is that Disney does bear some responsibility for the confusion in changes to the DDP. They could have (or some will say should have) sent out notices to people already paid for the plan, made sure CM's were well versed in the changes and informed each and every guest, changed the name, etc etc.

But also as consumers we ultimately bear an equal responsibility to know what we are buying. Just because I go and buy one computer from Best Buy, doesn't mean the next one is going to be identical. Maybe a question of if there are changes should have been asked. Maybe making sure that you got the info from the front desk would have been prudent, what if a restaurant was added or dropped. Or better yet, when the price goes down, maybe ask "why". These are things that the consumer does need to find out when making a purchase and the responsibility does lie on them!

Long story short, they both could have acted better and done a little more, but in the end it isn't one persons fault or the other, its both to an extent. The fact that Disney is trying to make it right for those who were truly hurt by the changes is honorable, but not required or necessary. :hippie:

...If you have questions about the dining plan, you call 407-WDW-DINE....When you are dealing with a large company like WDW, you can't expect 100% of all of the employees to know everything.

I knew before I made my deposit that gratuities were not included. I was told and I read it on the WDW website a month before I made my reservations on Jan 14. If others did not know, it is soley the fault of theirs for not researching properly, as I have stated before.

I just disagree with you on these few points. Part of the reason is because I know that you can call the proper department and get the wrong information, I know this because it happened to me (as I posted before in this thread).

When you are given the wrong information, from the right department within Disney, I do not think that you can accuse a customer of not researching properly. They went right to the source and were misinformed. It is not the customer's fault for believing what they were told by a Disney CM.

I do NOT think that this is what happened to the majority of people who are now enraged because they 'didn't know', but I can see it happening on occasion, and I don't see fault on the customer's behalf for believing what Disney told them on the phone.

Do I believe what I was told by that Disney CM (re tip being included with the meal at CP)? No of course not, I have lived and breathed researching Disney since early 2006. I am well aware that they (even in the right department) can be and are misinformed.

Would a first time visitor who is planning directly with Disney or their TA via telephone know this? Probably not. They may just believe that they can plan an entire trip by only working with their TA or Disney, who should be fully trained in planning their trip with them and informing them of anything that they need to know because it's their job to do so.

angelmav said:
to answer your question, when giving a response 'we could say the same of you' I find, in my perview and by my very own litmus test to be a backhanded statement, however you ommitted that part of the quote.
Because bicker's statement indicated both he and you are reasonable people - I don't see anything backhanded about that.

TisBit said:
But also as consumers we ultimately bear an equal responsibility to know what we are buying. Just because I go and buy one computer from Best Buy, doesn't mean the next one is going to be identical. Maybe a question of if there are changes should have been asked.
That's a good comparison. Another comparison might be new cars. A reasonable person would not expect the 2009 Prius (for example) to be identical to the 2008 Prius - whether the prices are the same or not. A reasonable person would know/research what they were purchasing before laying out a large amount of money for any item - and 'large amount' is relative. For one person it could be a car, for another a television, and for yet another it could be the ginormous size of laundry detergent.

Good heavens people! Some of these analogies are ridiculous. I wouldn't expect a car to be the same year to year.....they aren't even the same in the same year...they come with options. One wouldn't expect a computer to be the same...they change the model numbers. Guests were buying a plan that had the same name as the one they had previously purchased. It was a reasonable assumption that it would be the same. I can't believe the people that don't see there is a gray area on this subject. Just because some of you found the correct info from the beginning....doesn't mean others weren't taken unaware....I'm glad some of you are perfect.....most of us aren't. I suspect this thread won't last much longer.....it is becoming quite nasty!

Good heavens people! Some of these analogies are ridiculous. I wouldn't expect a car to be the same year to year.....they aren't even the same in the same year...they come with options. One wouldn't expect a computer to be the same...they change the model numbers. Guests were buying a plan that had the same name as the one they had previously purchased. It was a reasonable assumption that it would be the same. I can't believe the people that don't see there is a gray area on this subject.

If you recall my post, I never said there wasn't, it appears to be you that doesn't want to concede that the customer bears SOME responsibility as well. I never once said it was all the customers fault, nor did I say it was all Disney's fault. Both could have done a better job, but the truth is that neither did.

OK, I have been reading this thread, basicly because it was entertaining....but I am surprised that so many people are finding this as a 100% wrong one way or another idea. The truth is that Disney does bear some responsibility for the confusion in changes to the DDP. They could have (or some will say should have) sent out notices to people already paid for the plan, made sure CM's were well versed in the changes and informed each and every guest, changed the name, etc etc.

But also as consumers we ultimately bear an equal responsibility to know what we are buying. Just because I go and buy one computer from Best Buy, doesn't mean the next one is going to be identical. Maybe a question of if there are changes should have been asked. Maybe making sure that you got the info from the front desk would have been prudent, what if a restaurant was added or dropped. Or better yet, when the price goes down, maybe ask "why". These are things that the consumer does need to find out when making a purchase and the responsibility does lie on them!

Long story short, they both could have acted better and done a little more, but in the end it isn't one persons fault or the other, its both to an extent. The fact that Disney is trying to make it right for those who were truly hurt by the changes is honorable, but not required or necessary. :hippie:

Yes, things change from year to year....and as evidenced this year, that include the DDP! I do not know for a fact....but I strongly suspect that every year the DDP has changed some, obviously this was a bigger change that had more ramifications and it could have been handled better, but truth is, buyer beware.

I guarantee that next year everyone will be checking to see what, if any changes were made to the DDP

I suspect this thread won't last much longer.....it is becoming quite nasty!

You are probably right about this....it is a shame that people can't have reasonable discussions and must barricade themselves in their beliefs and fight it all.

Truth be told, if I was wronged by Disney as badly as so many people have made it to be here, I would never return. There are stores that have done less to me then what people are implying here that I won't return to.

I wasn't taking direct aim at you. I believe people make mistakes....but there was conflicting information on Disney's site. Some on this board act as though guests should be as thorough on buying the DDP as they are in buying a house. I thought the DDP was devised to make things easier for the guests? You pull something up on the web....you watch Disney's dvd...you believe it to be true. Most don't investigate to the last degree....especially if the name is the same. In the past, when the program changed significantly .....the name also changed. I just believe that some are being overly harsh on the guests that were taken by surprise. I would have been if it wasn't for this board.....and I've been going to WDW for 28 years.

I wasn't taking direct aim at you. I believe people make mistakes....but there was conflicting information on Disney's site. Some on this board act as though guests should be as thorough on buying the DDP as they are in buying a house. I thought the DDP was devised to make things easier for the guests? You pull something up on the web....you watch Disney's dvd...you believe it to be true. Most don't investigate to the last degree....especially if the name is the same. In the past, when the program changed significantly .....the name also changed. I just believe that some are being overly harsh on the guests that were taken by surprise. I would have been if it wasn't for this board.....and I've been going to WDW for 28 years.

I completely agree with you. No one should expect every person to research every purchase. I believe Disney could have done a better job advertising the changes so there would be limited confusion.

But also, I think the flip side is that even if Disney sent out a mailer, told everyone on the phone, gave them a brochure, called them in their room after check in and then reminded them at the meal someone would still say "I didn't know". :rotfl2:

In the end I think a lot of the rants and ravings on this thread are not about how the changes were made, but about the changes made. I am sure if Disney Knocked $8 a day off instead of just $1 there would be less complaints.

Talk about advertising, this is still on allears.net........although I learned about the 2008 DDP for all of you (thanks :thumbsup2 ), I assumed it was the same as 2007. Allears.net is what I was getting my info. from. (& yes, I know what assuming does...;) )

WHAT IS THE DISNEY DINING PLAN?

Many restaurants now participate in the Disney Dining Plan, which is part of a vacation package offered by Walt Disney World. Periodically this is offered as a "Free" add-on during off peak times (January, September) For a detailed explanation of the program, and a list of the restaurants that participate, visit our 2007 Magic Your Way Dining Plan page. Read what others say about the Disney Dining Plan!

Talk about advertising, this is still on allears.net........although I learned about the 2008 DDP for all of you (thanks ), I assumed it was the same as 2007. Allears.net is what I was getting my info. from. (& yes, I know what assuming does...
Understandable - but allearsnet is not an OFFICIAL Disney website (neither the DIS's own wdwinfo.com).

While it's great and helpful that both sites provide so much information, Disney is not and cannot reasonably (there's that word again) be expected to have any control over what is posted on that site, or to make any decisions or offer any reimbursement or other consideration based on that information.

Understandable - but allearsnet is not an OFFICIAL Disney website (neither the DIS's own wdwinfo.com).

While it's great and helpful that both sites provide so much information, Disney is not and cannot reasonably (there's that word again) be expected to have any control over what is posted on that site, or to make any decisions or offer any reimbursement or other consideration based on that information.

I agree 100%!!

(I also believe that following outside links, which others (not you) have suggested to fully research your Disney vacation is not the best method for discovering the plan. I believe a person should get full correct information directly from Disney) Not even me! :rotfl:

For the record, and perhaps the message is just getting lost because of the messenger, several legitimate examples have been brought to bear on how this mix up happened or could have legitimately.
I for one, have never stated that Disney owes any consumer anything, I have stated that I thought they did enough to cover themselves legally.
That doesnt change my opinion that they mishandled this and I have provided examples to support my opinion.
I think that a logical, reasonable person can decide for themselves based on what has been brought to bear in the discussion.

:rotfl2: :banana: :rotfl2: Okay now...this has just gotten silly....:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

How about we all take a dip in another resort's pool while we sip a cool beverage from our Dixie Landing refillable mug, eh?:hippie: :hippie: :dance3:

:rotfl2: :banana: :rotfl2: Okay now...this has just gotten silly....:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

How about we all take a dip in another resort's pool while we sip a cool beverage from our Dixie Landing refillable mug, eh?:hippie: :hippie: :dance3:

...besides we have another more pressing problem arising. They are apparently no longer handing out chocolate at the P&PP:scared1: ...and they did this without any warning!pirate:

Chocolate at the PP&P? Bah! That's nothing. Apparently there's no more Twinkie Tiramisu at Pop Century????

Chocolate at the PP&P? Bah! That's nothing. Apparently there's no more Twinkie Tiramisu at Pop Century????

What! kaytieeldr I fervanly disagree with that! OK, maybe that 'last' statement of outrage was a teensy bit manufactured! :lmao:

Talk about advertising, this is still on allears.net........although I learned about the 2008 DDP for all of you (thanks :thumbsup2 ), I assumed it was the same as 2007. Allears.net is what I was getting my info. from. (& yes, I know what assuming does...;) )

WHAT IS THE DISNEY DINING PLAN?

Many restaurants now participate in the Disney Dining Plan, which is part of a vacation package offered by Walt Disney World. Periodically this is offered as a "Free" add-on during off peak times (January, September) For a detailed explanation of the program, and a list of the restaurants that participate, visit our 2007 Magic Your Way Dining Plan page. Read what others say about the Disney Dining Plan!

btw, if you link from there for info (the bold typeface), it brings you to a page that states:
2007 Magic your way dining plan
List of participating restaurants/food outlets for 2007 HERE!
Lots of changes to the 2008 Dining Plan HERE!

not sure exactly when the page was edited to reflect the changes, but i know i've seen it for a while now:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter