Disney in 3 weeks with three kids under six... And pregnant wife (~ 13 weeks)

Todd Baker

Earning My Ears
We made the trip plans a year ago so, no we didn't PLAN on a pregnancy during the trip but stuff happens.

We have already rented two strollers expecting that one or more kids would tire out and weren't planning a "commando" type experience overall. But now seeking some more tips/suggestions considering the pregnancy. (BTW, wife is 38 yo in good health overall and I am 49 yo. Other kids are 5, almost 4, and 2 1/2).

1. Have started thinking about using only one stroller (a double) and having a piggy back toddler carrier available for use when needed. I plan to manage the double stroller. Concerned that my wife will tire too quickly pushing even the single stroller if we take both to the parks. If we have the piggy back carrier that leaves her free from any stroller pushing. Anyone with comments or experience with these contraptions?

2. Rides to avoid (aside from the coasters)? She read somewhere to avoid the Safari at AK presumably because it's too bumpy.

3. Other than a slower pace, plenty of breaks as needed and maybe even shorter days in general, and plenty of H2O are there any other suggestions from Moms who took on WDW while pregnant? (Or from the Dads?)

Thanks!

Could you hire or buy one of those boards that attach to the back of the stroller so that one of the kids can stand on it while the others sit in the stroller?

Could you hire or buy one of those boards that attach to the back of the stroller so that one of the kids can stand on it while the others sit in the stroller?

That's actually as very good idea. I can call the stroller rental company (kingdom strollers) to ask. Thanks!

We made the trip plans a year ago so, no we didn't PLAN on a pregnancy during the trip but stuff happens.

We have already rented two strollers expecting that one or more kids would tire out and weren't planning a "commando" type experience overall. But now seeking some more tips/suggestions considering the pregnancy. (BTW, wife is 38 yo in good health overall and I am 49 yo. Other kids are 5, almost 4, and 2 1/2).

1. Have started thinking about using only one stroller (a double) and having a piggy back toddler carrier available for use when needed. I plan to manage the double stroller. Concerned that my wife will tire too quickly pushing even the single stroller if we take both to the parks. If we have the piggy back carrier that leaves her free from any stroller pushing. Anyone with comments or experience with these contraptions?

2. Rides to avoid (aside from the coasters)? She read somewhere to avoid the Safari at AK presumably because it's too bumpy.

3. Other than a slower pace, plenty of breaks as needed and maybe even shorter days in general, and plenty of H2O are there any other suggestions from Moms who took on WDW while pregnant? (Or from the Dads?)
child
Thanks!
when planning rides remember none of your kids will be able to ride together without an adult. even for rides that wife cant go on that all make height and want to ride to make a FP for wife even if she isn't riding that ride. you can take one of older two plus youngest first round of FPs then use wife's band and her pass to ride with other child second round. this will also work on rides that both older two want to ride but littlest is too short. and yes the safari has a warning

At 13 weeks your DW should be getting some of her energy back. The second trimester is a little easier, more energy, less morning sickness. I remember those days. I had my last at 37 and felt fabulous my entire pregnancy but now that I’m your age(49) there isn’t no way I am going to WDW and pushing a double stroller and wearing a 2 1/2 year old!! I would die, literally. Is DD5 able to walk? Some (not all) are able to walk the parks all day. I have been to WDW with about every aged child but never went pregnant. I think it would be difficult especially with your children’s ages. Do you have an older niece or friend that would be available to help out?? I would spend lots of time with character meet and greets, shows, and small family friendly rides. I feel there are a lot of rides with warnings for pregnant women(could be wrong and I’m sure someone on here has experience with that) but make sure DW discusses rides with her OB prior to going and obviously take plenty of rest breaks/ hydration/food!!! Congratulations and have a great trip!!!!

First of all, Congratulations!
I have been to Disney twice while pregnant and am going again at 7 months pregnant in July.

AK sucks for being pregnant. It is so large for walking and hardly any shade. You are correct, the safari is off limits, along with Dinosaur. The seats in finding Nemo the musical or lion king are not great. We are actually skipping that park on our next trip because of those things.

I would buy a rechargeable fan. There are some that clip to the stroller so both mom and kids can use it. And I would also buy one of those cool towels- that will be a lifesaver.

I am 33 and in really good health and I would not remotely consider babywearing. I have worn my 6 month old in the parks, not while pregnant, just in lines and that was awful. It is just too hot for both people.
I would much rather push a single stroller than baby wear. At least that gives me something to lean on

Bring snacks. 13 weeks is when you start getting your appetite back and that could be expensive. Although my cravings center around what I can smell, I have to buy like every snack available to me at the parks.

That’s everything I can think of now (pregnancy brain ). If I come up with anything else, I’ll let you know.

I'm a tad younger than your wife, the thought of carrying a kid in a backpack (pregnant or not) sounds awful. I'd rather roll the dice with a single stroller.

Make sure she stays hydrated/well fed to stave off the nausea. i've never been carsick in my life except for when I was pregnant. I was also my own personal vomit comet....so her mileage may vary.

Thanks for the responses. And just to clarify I was NOT suggesting my DW user a piggy bank carrier at any time! I mentioned I would handle the double stroller and I meant to indicate that I would ALSO handle the piggy back carrier for brief spells leaving my wife free to just walk. I think she'd kill me if I suggested that she carry a kid on her back. Lol. No way!

Thanks for the responses. And just to clarify I was NOT suggesting my DW user a piggy bank carrier at any time! I mentioned I would handle the double stroller and I meant to indicate that I would ALSO handle the piggy back carrier for brief spells leaving my wife free to just walk. I think she'd kill me if I suggested that she carry a kid on her back. Lol. No way!

Here's a thought, rent the double and bring an umbrella stroller that you can stow under the double when you don't need it. Keep the younger 2 in the stroller and have the older one walk as necessary.

I’m just a few years younger than your wife, and I visited during each trimester, including during my second trimester spring break of last year. Second trimester was definitely the easier trip.

I actually liked pushing a stroller (though mine was a single) because it gave me something to lean on. I also followed all of the ride restrictions, including passing on the safari. Even though people will argue about the roughness, I was more concerned about the possibility of being blocked by an animal for an extended time with no restroom access. While my husband and son rode it, I enjoyed a nice air-conditioned break watching the Lion King show. Timing worked out pretty close.

Also, bathroom breaks before any ride are a good idea (for young kids too). That trip we got stuck and walked off of Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.

We are normally mostly quick service people, but I scheduled more table service restaurants that trip and definitely enjoyed sitting down for a while. And eating. Lots of eating. Mickey pretzels and Dole Whips were good for satisfying pregnancy cravings.

That’s what I thought!! No way!! That would miserable on anyone!!!!

What kind of double will you have? We just did Disneyland with 3 kids of similar ages (4, nearly 3, 1.5) and were originally going to bring our glider board for the City GT Double but ended up nixing it last minute. Our 4 year old was actually okay walking probably 2/3rds of the time, and the other third of the time (mostly the walk in to parks and walk home, and we made her jump in when crowds were bad) she squished into the City with the little ones and it "worked" (probably less strain than pushing a double AND piggybacking one). We'd also considered the Ergo for the 1.5 year old but he had a big growth spurt and was approaching 30 lbs at the time of our trip. We figured 25 lbs was prob the max we'd want on our back, so we didn't end up taking it.

Good luck to your wife! I was pregnant on a previous trip with 2 kids (our youngest was just under 1) and I think I wouldn't have minded pushing a single stroller around at about 5 months pregnant, for what it's worth... so I think the double & single option isn't a bad one either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter