Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
Often questions are asked about mb and how they work. This is a link to Disney’s FAQ.
Magic Band FAQ Link

Some common questions asked here on the DIS:

Abbreviation: mb

1. Do I need a MagicBand?
No, you do not need a MagicBand. You may use your hard ticket/card or Disney MagicMobile instead.
Disney MagicMobile Link

2. May we use old MagicBands?
Yes, however battery life on the mb typically lasts up to 2 years, although posters have reported lasting longer. The battery is needed for attraction photos where the attraction senses your mb. Even with the battery expired, the mb will work on tapstiles. OR as long as you have the MDE app on your phone and the Bluetooth is ON, they will send the photo to your phone (it will be on your MDE account), bypassing the need of a new battery.

3. Can other people use my mb or card?
According to Disney, no.
Disney's Policy on transferring MagicBands.

4. How do I order a mb?
Staying on site: Go into MDE and click on Tickets and MagicBands.
Staying off site: Go to ShopDisney or purchase at a theme park, resort, or Disney Springs.

5. Options for resort guest MBs changes frequently - just keep looking. BUT, all MBs must be ordered at the same time. If you place an order for only part of your group, the rest might not be able to purchase. (This may vary with DVC and AP) (If anyone can confirm recent experience that would be much appreciated!)

The next gen magic bands, Magic Band+, are expected to be released in 2022.
Disney’s Magic Band+ Info

Last edited:
hi, can you update your thread?

I spoke with Disney CS, and confirmed that myself. You don't need a magic band with new battery even for photos taken at rirdes (long distance transfer). Nowadays, as long as you have the MDE app on your phone and the Bluetooth is ON, they will send the photo to your phone (it will be on your MDE account), bypassing the need of a new battery.

I just checked that myself last month, no magicband and I got the pictures from most rides using only my phone (it was on my pocket), MDE running on background, BT on. hope that helps

hi, can you update your thread?

I spoke with Disney CS, and confirmed that myself. You don't need a magic band with new battery even for photos taken at rirdes (long distance transfer). Nowadays, as long as you have the MDE app on your phone and the Bluetooth is ON, they will send the photo to your phone (it will be on your MDE account), bypassing the need of a new battery.

I just checked that myself last month, no magicband and I got the pictures from most rides using only my phone (it was on my pocket), MDE running on background, BT on. hope that helps

Great! Thank you!

Is there any way to test to see if the battery is still good (before we get to Disney)? I have some old bands that I would like to use, but not sure if they still have an active battery.

Is there any way to test to see if the battery is still good (before we get to Disney)? I have some old bands that I would like to use, but not sure if they still have an active battery.

You only need battery for long range transmission (like getting a photo during a ride), but you can get that if your phone is logged in to your MDE and Bluetooth is on.

No way to check battery, but like I said, that does not matter for most people nowadays (everyone has the Disney app installed now)

Last edited:

The only thing you need battery for is linking ride photos, and linking your MDE account to Bluetooth on your smartphone will do the same. The tap functions for entering the parks, LL, and resort room door don’t use the MB battery and will work indefinitely. As above, there’s no way to test the battery, but happily, no need to.

So our first day we plan to go to Disney Springs. Look around and pick out magic bands. Once we pick them out do we have to go back to the resort front desk to get them linked? Or can we do it ourselves in MDE? Or somewhere in Disney Springs to do this? TIA

So our first day we plan to go to Disney Springs. Look around and pick out magic bands. Once we pick them out do we have to go back to the resort front desk to get them linked? Or can we do it ourselves in MDE? Or somewhere in Disney Springs to do this? TIA

Can be done in MDE. I just did mine a few days ago.

You can do it yourself in MDE. There are a series of very small letters and numbers on the back of each band. If you go to the MagicBand section of your MDE account, you should see the option to link them there.

You can do it yourself in MDE. There are a series of very small letters and numbers on the back of each band. If you go to the MagicBand section of your MDE account, you should see the option to link them there.

Thank you, I see it :)

If you turn on bluetooth for MDE, will all of the ride photos be picked up for all members of family if only using 1 MDE account? For example, on SDMT, will I see only one car photo or will I see multiple car photos (for all family members) when using bluetooth?

We received our magic bands the other day in Mail, are they already set up with our account? I ordered the through our disney me account .

We received our magic bands the other day in Mail, are they already set up with our account? I ordered the through our disney me account .

You can double check online by clicking on My Disney Experience, then tickets and MagicBands. There is a code inside the mb and that code should be listed.

Often questions are asked about mb and how they work. This is a link to Disney’s FAQ.

2. May we use old MagicBands?
Yes, however battery life on the mb typically lasts up to 2 years, although posters have reported lasting longer. The battery is needed for attraction photos where the attraction senses your mb. Even with the battery expired, the mb will work on tapstiles. OR as long as you have the MDE app on your phone and the Bluetooth is ON, they will send the photo to your phone (it will be on your MDE account), bypassing the need of a new battery.

This is exactly the info i was looking for, thank you!

Just as a note on #5, my party of 7 who were staying in 2 different rooms at Pop Century were able to order separately from the other other group, but not separately from the rest of the members on their respective room reservation.

Magic Band
Hard Ticket / Card
Magic Mobile

Are these mutually exclusive? Or can I use 2 or all 3? Can I link everything to my card AND use Magic Mobile?

Also, can 1 person have Magic Band, another use the card and another use Magic Mobile? Or do all members of your party have to use the same medium?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter