Disabilities on the Disney bus

I'm not expecting preference either, just my rightful place in line.

Which means once they determine that i can board the bus, everyone would then have to exit so that I could board the bus safely with my scooter. . Then everyone could get back on the bus.

Seems that it makes more sense to put me on first.
Yes but not the whole party. As with many Disney things the rules are not enforced and for a huge party to get right on and seated is not appropriate.

Yes but not the whole party. As with many Disney things the rules are not enforced and for a huge party to get right on and seated is not appropriate.
So I get on the bus, but my husband stays by himself.

Then when I get to our resort, I have to wait for him to help me in. Sorry, haven't figured out how to get the scooter in the room without help.

Sorry, that doesn't make any more sense than saying people with a DAS can only use it for themselves. The rest of their party has to wait in line. Or even do away with the DAS altogether. Their party can get in line to wait, and the person that can't wait can join them when they reach the front of the line.

I get that you are upset about having to wait if you want a seat. But I really believe that Disney is doing the best they can. Same as they are doing the best that they can with the DAS.

How old do you have to be to be considered older or elderly to qualify for one of those priority bus seats? Is it 60 or 65 or 70?

So I get on the bus, but my husband stays by himself.

Then when I get to our resort, I have to wait for him to help me in. Sorry, haven't figured out how to get the scooter in the room without help.

Sorry, that doesn't make any more sense than saying people with a DAS can only use it for themselves. The rest of their party has to wait in line. Or even do away with the DAS altogether. Their party can get in line to wait, and the person that can't wait can join them when they reach the front of the line.

I get that you are upset about having to wait if you want a seat. But I really believe that Disney is doing the best they can. Same as they are doing the best that they can with the DAS.
No I did say earlier scooter plus one carer. I don't require a seat for myself but my disabled grandson does.

Most people don't travel to WDW with "a huge party". Most fall within Disney's parameters of who is allowed to board with their ECV using family member.

Most people don't travel to WDW with "a huge party". Most fall within Disney's parameters of who is allowed to board with their ECV using family member.
We must have been unlucky this last trip then. I still stand by scooter plus one and rest of party join the queue! They would have got on 99% of the time but standing - therefore allowing those at the front of the queue to be seated. Less animosity all round.

We must have been unlucky this last trip then. I still stand by scooter plus one and rest of party join the queue!

Well you don't set the rules on it, Disney does. So if you are going by scooter +1 you are setting yourself up to be irritated.

Just found it, it is 6 people including the one on the ECV/wheelchair. So themselves and 5 family members.

Well you don't set the rules on it, Disney does. So if you are going by scooter +1 you are setting yourself up to be irritated.
As I said earlier I personally (though over 60) am fit and well and don't need to sit but I feel for those elderly and disabled but no ECV made to stand because of poor behaviour. This trip highlighted that need because our grandson needed to be seated.

As I said earlier I personally (though over 60) am fit and well and don't need to sit but I feel for those elderly and disabled but no ECV made to stand because of poor behaviour. This trip highlighted that need because our grandson needed to be seated.

I don't see it as poor behavior. If Disney allows it, it is behavior I would expect. I know if I had to use a scooter to get around I wouldn't want to be split up from my family because of it. Things are hard enough using a scooter, why should someone be expected to have to be split up from their family because of it?

I don't see it as poor behavior. If Disney allows it, it is behavior I would expect. I know if I had to use a scooter to get around I wouldn't want to be split up from my family because of it. Things are hard enough using a scooter, why should someone be expected to have to be split up from their family because of it?
I don't want to get into an argument about this - it is an observation made by many. It is poor behaviour when the fit and well members of that party take up seats and make elderly and disabled people who have been stood in line stand for the journey - end of.

I don't want to get into an argument about this - it is an observation made by many. It is poor behaviour when the fit and well members of that party take up seats and make elderly and disabled people who have been stood in line stand for the journey - end of.

I think it just as poor behavior to take your disabled or elderly family members onto buses with the expectation that someone else should give up their seat for them. If you can't take care of your own family members and see to their needs it is pretty rude expecting strangers to do so.

Even so, I get up when I can, because I think it is nice to do so. But it shouldn't be expected . What happened to being thankful when others help you out, instead of demanding of it?

I think it just as poor behavior to take your disabled or elderly family members onto buses with the expectation that someone else should give up their seat for them. If you can't take care of your own family members and see to their needs it is pretty rude expecting strangers to do so.
End of

I think the thing with this topic and honestly, many other things, is life just isn’t fair. Sometimes people cheat and get away with it. Sometimes you have to wait longer than someone who came after you. Sometimes you have to stand on the bus with your disability. It is what it is. I try very very hard to let stuff roll off me (not easy when my daughter absolutely cannot do that). There is no way to make it all fair for everyone. Disney does what they can to try to level the playing field but in all honestly the field cannot really be leveled. I try to use good manners and make sure my daughter does too. I go by my code of ethics and let others go by their own which may be better or worse than mine. At the end of the day you Only have control of yourself. I try to maintain my positive attitude and think - “this is my happy place” - Disney.

Unlock the door/scan your band.
Lean forward and, with you're non-steering hand, turn the knob/handle.
VERY slowly, use the front bumper of the ECV to nudge open the door.
When you get to the point you can easily touch the door, push it open with your non-steering hand and proceed slowly into the room.

Crazy, isn't it? Some people who try to “game” the system are not very smart. I, too, find it hard to believe that able bodied people would be so foolish and inconsiderate. And it's people like you who get unfairly characterized because of those foolish and inconsiderate people taking advantage of the system.

I understand Realfoodfans as we have all been there:
We walk up to the bus line, there are people who have been there for about 5 minutes. In a couple of minutes a bus pulls up as does someone in a scooter. They go right to the front of the line and are boarded. The bus takes off and another one arrives in about 5 minutes. We've now been waiting about 10 minutes and it doesn't look like we'll get on this one. That's okay, we chose to leave after the fireworks. We don't make it. Another bus arrives; we have now been waiting close to 20 minutes and a scooter arrives. They get boarded after a wait of 1 minute. It doesn't seem to us that the person with the scooter got their rightful place in line.

We all want you be able to board the bus safely and I wish there was a better method that seemed more fair.
so you would prefer to have ECVs wait in line the cut in front of them when they can not be safely loaded. only fair way to do that would be have bus pull out partly full so ECV can be loaded next or are you wanting them pulled out of line and let others cut in front of them. can have it both ways

Unlock the door/scan your band.
Lean forward and, with you're non-steering hand, turn the knob/handle.
VERY slowly, use the front bumper of the ECV to nudge open the door.
When you get to the point you can easily touch the door, push it open with your non-steering hand and proceed slowly into the room.
But, see, I don't have to do it because my husband is allowed to board the bus with me. And there is no real reason to change that policy.

We must have been unlucky this last trip then. I still stand by scooter plus one and rest of party join the queue! They would have got on 99% of the time but standing - therefore allowing those at the front of the queue to be seated. Less animosity all round.
this is from one of our trips party was me, my husband and 4 year old at the time special needs grandson. so only my husband can board with me what do you want to happen to grandson. and no I could not take grandson with me and have husband come separately. remember on one extra person with ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter