Disabilities on the Disney bus

So you believe that people purchase or rent scooters so they can board the bus first, and get off of the bus last?
We (and others) have heard conversations where that has definitely been the case and more than one member of a group is seen on the ECV.
We also overheard conversation at POFQ bus stop between a lady and her young relative who were discussing the fact she'd never used one before and how it would help them get on rides quicker.

We (and others) have heard conversations where that has definitely been the case and more than one member of a group is seen on the ECV.
We also overheard conversation at POFQ bus stop between a lady and her young relative who were discussing the fact she'd never used one before and how it would help them get on rides quicker.
Was this recently?

A scooter certainly doesn't help people get on rides faster. In fact, there are a number of rides where it is a much longer wait. Big Thunder, I'm looking at you.

If someone was crazy enough to buy one rent one to "get on rides quicker" they will be sorely disappointed when they get to a park. To say nothing of how expensive it is.

It still doesn't mean that they rented or purchased so they could have no wait or board the bus earlier. Yes, I can board the bus first. And it is an added benefit for me since being in the sun is a problem. But I didn't buy a scooter so I could board first. (And get off last.)

Last edited:
We just got back from a trip. One day we got on a bus and had to stand, and I was surprised no one offered my special needs adult son a seat. Me and his Dad can stand, no problem. He has Downs, Autism, poor balance and depth perception, and has had ankle fusion surgeries. He actually did ok, to my surprise, but it was unusual no one offered, they usually do.(My husband was even carrying his huge folded up WC, it's a Convaid chair, like an enormous stroller that weighs 50 pounds. So no question he had mobility issues beyond a "typical" adult with DS)

We actually did not even realize the bus was so full until we boarded, we got there after it had been loaded up. We laughed it off, because he held on well and the driver was excellent, very smooth around the turns, thank goodness. Another driver and he may have gone flying despite our focus on his safety.

Was this recently?

A scooter certainly doesn't help people get on rides faster. In fact, there are a number of rides where it is a much longer wait. Big Thunder, I'm looking at you.

If someone was crazy enough to buy one rent one to "get on rides quicker" they will be sorely disappointed when they get to a park. To say nothing of how expensive it is.

It still doesn't mean that they rented or purchased so they could have no wait or board the bus earlier. Yes, I can board the bus first. And it is an added benefit for me since being in the sun is a problem. But I didn't buy a scooter so I could board first. (And get off last.)
Yes last week - that would have been Tuesday morning as it was the morning 3 scooters turned up and my husband almost lost his temper as one party was huge and the driver allowed them all to board.

We just got back from a trip. One day we got on a bus and had to stand, and I was surprised no one offered my special needs adult son a seat. Me and his Dad can stand, no problem. He has Downs, Autism, poor balance and depth perception, and has had ankle fusion surgeries. He actually did ok, to my surprise, but it was unusual no one offered, they usually do.(My husband was even carrying his huge folded up WC, it's a Convaid chair, like an enormous stroller that weighs 50 pounds. So no question he had mobility issues beyond a "typical" adult with DS)

We actually did not even realize the bus was so full until we boarded, we got there after it had been loaded up. We laughed it off, because he held on well and the driver was excellent, very smooth around the turns, thank goodness. Another driver and he may have gone flying despite our focus on his safety.
I'm so sorry you had that happen - being in similar circumstances - I wonder what could be done to make the buses better?

Was this recently?

A scooter certainly doesn't help people get on rides faster.
My family was highly encouraged by other guests at WDW to "take advantage" of the DAS system and to rent some ECV's so we could "receive preferential treatment". Yeah, some older lady followed us around after we left an attraction, huffing and puffing and wheezing that we should do this and if we didn't, our trip would be ruined! Yes, our family was a little slow, and yes, 3/5 adults needed assistance with balance and walking, but that doesn't mean that we need to be given an advantage over any of the other WDW guests!

IMHO It is this insistence that Disney go "above and beyond" for the disabled that has cut down on so much of the Pixie Dust and customer service through the Parks. I mean, we need all look no further than the old Guest Assistance program to see how nicely people can play with others ;) One wheelchair-bound guest in three hours, okay, that's do-able to allow them to go to the front of the line ; if we now have 30 wheelchair-bound guests in an hour, how is it fair to let them all cut the line and have the people who waited patiently have to wait yet even longer?

Accommodation is not the problem - keeping an equal level of service across the board, for all Guests is the problem. Especially when so many people feel they are entitled to better service or premium access. The only way you get those things at Disney is to throw massive amounts of cash at them. Like that recent millionaire guy who paid Disney so much money to shut down the AK resort lobby, host a choral welcome, and have one of his daughters' proposals re-enacted as a scene from Newsies, with the original cast! ;) Doubt that they got anything less than front of the line, VIP treatment! But vacationing on a budget like so much of the masses? Well your child, disabled or not, has the same opportunities that about 15,000 other kids at any other moment in WDW also have... make it special with family memories, not better service or premium access. Because unless you can afford to literally give Disney millions, it likely isn't happening.

My family was highly encouraged by other guests at WDW to "take advantage" of the DAS system and to rent some ECV's so we could "receive preferential treatment". Yeah, some older lady followed us around after we left an attraction, huffing and puffing and wheezing that we should do this and if we didn't, our trip would be ruined! Yes, our family was a little slow, and yes, 3/5 adults needed assistance with balance and walking, but that doesn't mean that we need to be given an advantage over any of the other WDW guests!
But as I have said, a wheelchair or scooter does not get you front of the line access. You get in lines just like everyone else. Yes, there are exceptions, but often those exceptions mean a longer wait time. I've watched people ride well before I do, after getting in line the same time that I do. Big Thunder, Small World, Safari, just to name a few. So people may think that they would get front of the line access with a scooter, but they don't.

Yes, the GAC was abused. People actually rented themselves out to large parties. But that abuse was cut significantly with the DAS. Although some people see the DAS as being greatly abused by those allowed use it. But those aren't people that use a scooter.

The only preferential treatment for those with a scooter is first access to the bus. But as it has been explained, you can't load a scooter onto a bus that is already partially loaded. Having my party wait in the line, then loading me when they got to the front of the line, would mean that I would have to wait for another bus. That means, I wait longer than a non-disabled person. That is a problem.

So you believe that people purchase or rent scooters so they can board the bus first, and get off of the bus last?
I know that to be true. It's sad but people do take advantage. Yes, they are the last to get off the bus but it can be a big advantage when boarding during rush hours. They pass the entire line and everyone with the scooter gets on too.

I know that to be true. It's sad but people do take advantage. Yes, they are the last to get off the bus but it can be a big advantage when boarding during rush hours. They pass the entire line and everyone with the scooter gets on too.
I find it very hard to believe that people would go to the trouble of renting from an offsite company, paying for each day, simply to board the bus first. Knowing that if there are 3 scooters, they have to wait for the next bus. That happens many times, especially during rush hours.
Edit to add: These people must not be very smart. Or at least they don't realize the disadvantages.

But as I have said, a wheelchair or scooter does not get you front of the line access. You get in lines just like everyone else. Yes, there are exceptions, but often those exceptions mean a longer wait time. I've watched people ride well before I do, after getting in line the same time that I do. Big Thunder, Small World, Safari, just to name a few. So people may think that they would get front of the line access with a scooter, but they don't.

Yes, the GAC was abused. People actually rented themselves out to large parties. But that abuse was cut significantly with the DAS. Although some people see the DAS as being greatly abused by those allowed use it. But those aren't people that use a scooter.

The only preferential treatment for those with a scooter is first access to the bus. But as it has been explained, you can't load a scooter onto a bus that is already partially loaded. Having my party wait in the line, then loading me when they got to the front of the line, would mean that I would have to wait for another bus. That means, I wait longer than a non-disabled person. That is a problem.
At the risk of sounding difficult (which I'm really not) I don't understand the problem with that? If you were not on a scooter and disabled you will be in that queue with your family and get no priority and may get no seat (as happened a few times during our recent trip) - I would like to see a system that is fair for all - I don't see why parties with scooters all got to board having just rocked up as the bus arrived and my grandson had to queue and then wait to board - not expecting preference just his rightful place in the line.

At the risk of sounding difficult (which I'm really not) I don't understand the problem with that? If you were not on a scooter and disabled you will be in that queue with your family and get no priority and may get no seat (as happened a few times during our recent trip) - I would like to see a system that is fair for all - I don't see why parties with scooters all got to board having just rocked up as the bus arrived and my grandson had to queue and then wait to board - not expecting preference just his rightful place in the line.
I'm not expecting preference either, just my rightful place in line.

Which means once they determine that i can board the bus, everyone would then have to exit so that I could board the bus safely with my scooter. . Then everyone could get back on the bus.

Seems that it makes more sense to put me on first.

There’s a limit on how many people get to board with the scooter.

There’s a limit on how many people get to board with the scooter.

Just curious as to what that limit is. Last week when we were there, I was in an ECV, accompanied by 5 others. DH would hope to get on with me, but the rest of the party would hang back, expecting to get on with the "regular" group. Yet, every time without fail, the bus driver would wave out to everyone I was traveling with to get on. And one time, the other scooter was traveling as part of a party of 10, and sure enough, the bus driver waved for all 10 people to get on with her. So there were 2 scooters, and 15 other people already on the bus before the front door opened. I know that if I'd been waiting in the "regular" line, I wouldn't be pleased to see so many people on the bus already. We didn't want to exceed the limits, but the bus drivers always seemed to have a different idea of "limits"

Just curious as to what that limit is. Last week when we were there, I was in an ECV, accompanied by 5 others. DH would hope to get on with me, but the rest of the party would hang back, expecting to get on with the "regular" group. Yet, every time without fail, the bus driver would wave out to everyone I was traveling with to get on. And one time, the other scooter was traveling as part of a party of 10, and sure enough, the bus driver waved for all 10 people to get on with her. So there were 2 scooters, and 15 other people already on the bus before the front door opened. I know that if I'd been waiting in the "regular" line, I wouldn't be pleased to see so many people on the bus already. We didn't want to exceed the limits, but the bus drivers always seemed to have a different idea of "limits"

I *think* it is the person in the ecv/scooter and 6 other people. But I couldn't care less if the whole family gets on with them.

I find it very hard to believe that people would go to the trouble of renting from an offsite company, paying for each day, simply to board the bus first. Knowing that if there are 3 scooters, they have to wait for the next bus. That happens many times, especially during rush hours.
Edit to add: These people must not be very smart. Or at least they don't realize the disadvantages.
Crazy, isn't it? Some people who try to “game” the system are not very smart. I, too, find it hard to believe that able bodied people would be so foolish and inconsiderate. And it's people like you who get unfairly characterized because of those foolish and inconsiderate people taking advantage of the system.

I understand Realfoodfans as we have all been there:
We walk up to the bus line, there are people who have been there for about 5 minutes. In a couple of minutes a bus pulls up as does someone in a scooter. They go right to the front of the line and are boarded. The bus takes off and another one arrives in about 5 minutes. We've now been waiting about 10 minutes and it doesn't look like we'll get on this one. That's okay, we chose to leave after the fireworks. We don't make it. Another bus arrives; we have now been waiting close to 20 minutes and a scooter arrives. They get boarded after a wait of 1 minute. It doesn't seem to us that the person with the scooter got their rightful place in line.

We all want you be able to board the bus safely and I wish there was a better method that seemed more fair.

I am agreeing with you about the non-guarantee of getting to the front of the line when using an ECV or DAS. But...still... people... you know...

From her overall behavior at the attractions we were at in Fantasyland, this particular guest seemed to be thriving on announcing that she needed accommodation and then delighting in whomever would graciously accommodate her. There's nothing inappropriate about hoping someone will open a door for you, and there's another thing entirely to stand at the door and only attempt to walk through IF someone else opens the door FOR you... This particular guest was happily doing the equivalent for the entire hour our parties were stuck near each other, so it really wasn't an isolated incident for one attraction. We watched her "work the CM's" to try and get in the front of the line, try to put in a food order first, tried to get CM's to "let her wait in a better spot on her ECV", tried to get choice-of-the-room seats at Mickey's Philharmonic (because sitting next to each other with our party, that's so blase), and continued on and on and on with this loud verbal advertisement for the DAS program.

All of us wanted nothing more than to get away from her... and I am wondering if perhaps the members of her own party were trying to do a little hiding of their own since I didn't see any of this "family she came with"... LOL

I’m 67 snd hope I look younger on every Disney bus I’ve been in, I have always been asked by men if I wanted to sit. I always decline because I’m fine with standing and prefer it. Once a young man would not take no and I finally gave up and sat down. Sorry you didn’t have the same experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter