disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the folks complaining about people who "don't need" a wheelchair because they can walk. i echo the "keep it to yourself because you don't really know" crowd. about 2 years ago, i ended up severely breaking my ankle, requiring emergency surgery and a plate and screws in the ankle. i was not allowed to put any weight on it for 8 weeks. well, we had a disney trip booked and paid for about 10 weeks after my injury. so, after only 2 weeks of physical therapy walking and speaking with my physician before deciding to go, i rented a scooter, with plans on transferring to a wheelchair for rides when needed because i was in condition to be walking more than a few steps or standing. my doctor said, if it wasn't walking more than a few steps, i didn't need the "moon boot" and could wear regular shoes. I also had a temporary handicap parking placard. I'm in my 30s. the first day in the parks, i wore a normal shoe. for anyone seeing me driving past on the scooter, I got all kinds of dirty looks and more than one comment, never directed to me but always near me, about people "abusing the system" or "abusing the handicap parking." I had to explain to more than one CM at rides requiring a transfer that, yes, I really did need that wheelchair. We'd also try to request tables near the restaurant door, where the scooter couldn't go in, and that usually took some explaining. Anyone who saw me transfer or taking those few steps then completely understood, but anyone who saw a visibly healthy 30-something, wearing normal shoes, driving around a scooter, did not. after that first day, I ended up wearing the boot to "justify" the scooter and the need for a wheelchair and, surprise surprise, the looks and the comments and the questions stopped. at the end of the day, enjoy YOUR vacation and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. if someone is really abusing the system, hope that karma will get them and move on. life is way too short and, these days, if you can afford the price of admission, you're fortunate. so enjoy it.

I never needed a pass, so maybe I don't understand. I would think Disney would have a record of you using the pass in the past. I don't understand the grief they gave you. I suppose there are some medical cases that are temporary, like some going through some type of treatment can't spend lots of time in the sun. But if your child has XYZ and it's not a temporary type illness, again why the grief? Wouldn't that fall under renewing a pass that some speak of?
We registered our daughter for DAS in person at EPCOT in late October.
She has a lifelong condition and has used DAS since it began in 2013 and used the previous Guest Assistance program before that.

When we went in October, the CM assisting us said everyone was being re-registered and were supposed to be asked the same questions regarding why they needed to wait outside the regular line whether that guest had previously been registered for DAS or not.

She didn’t say why, but I know many people in the past were issued DAS when their only need was to use a wheelchair/ECV/mobility device in line.

I’ll say this:

When we registered and answered the questions, the CM commented on which difficulty (there’s more than one) qualified and which didn’t. I found that both surprising and helpful. Haven’t had that much feedback from CMs in parks.

I won’t share- both for personal reasons and so I don’t accidentally enable abuse -but I did get the impression that the CM had spent a lot of time patiently informing people about what is *not* applicable.

Edited to more accurately say that the CM commented on which of multiple effects/challenges in the same person qualified and which did not.

Last edited:
I think they offered the passes as an incentive for people to pre-register to help alleviate lines at Guest Services in the parks. But I think Disney grossly underestimated how many people would jump on this. I’m surprised they’re still offering the 2 extra passes per day at this point.

I agree. When we’ve been in the parks, the lines for DAS were insane. I think this was just a way to help decrease those lines, but they underestimated the staffing need for this. Perhaps it will improve as Disney works out the bugs.

I agree. When we’ve been in the parks, the lines for DAS were insane. I think this was just a way to help decrease those lines, but they underestimated the staffing need for this. Perhaps it will improve as Disney works out the bugs.

Not everyone in line at guest services is there for DAS, are they? I mean, we've been there for a ticket problem, and to get buttons, etc. So, I'm guessing you mean the lines at guest services to get a DAS, not that they had specific DAS lines? Or are there specific ones that I didn't know about? When I got DAS for the first time this past August, there was only one person ahead of me. When I needed to add a guest to my pass, there was no one else there at GS, so perhaps there was no DAS queue then?

Not everyone in line at guest services is there for DAS, are they? I mean, we've been there for a ticket problem, and to get buttons, etc. So, I'm guessing you mean the lines at guest services to get a DAS, not that they had specific DAS lines? Or are there specific ones that I didn't know about? When I got DAS for the first time this past August, there was only one person ahead of me. When I needed to add a guest to my pass, there was no one else there at GS, so perhaps there was no DAS queue then?

Exactly, people use guest services for all kinds of reasons. We should not assume they are for DAS. In fact, those getting a DAS return time are really fast, it is all of the other situations that make the lines long.

At MK, my experience has been that guest services in the park moves much faster for DAS than if you go to the window outside the park. I think that's because once inside you've eliminated everyone with ticketing/entry issues they're trying to resolve.

I guess I didn’t make myself clear. I do understand not everyone is there for a DAS, but if 3/4 of DAS requests could be handled ahead of time, it would still decrease the lines so the wait isn’t so long for everyone else.

I’ve never done a DAS, so I can’t speak to how it works, but I’ve seen insane lines soon after park opening. I don’t know that they have separate queues for the DAS.

Exactly, people use guest services for all kinds of reasons. We should not assume they are for DAS. In fact, those getting a DAS return time are really fast, it is all of the other situations that make the lines long.

I wasn’t saying the line was all DAS. My comment was they are trying to decrease DAS requests to help with the long lines. I’ve had to wait in those long lines for other things, so I do understand this Is not all for those who are asking for DAS passes.

I wasn’t saying the line was all DAS. My comment was they are trying to decrease DAS requests to help with the long lines. I’ve had to wait in those long lines for other things, so I do understand this Is not all for those who are asking for DAS passes.

I understand, but many that were in the lines for the blue umbrellas where getting return times. Even setting up DAS does not take that long, unless you are denied then people usually stand there and argue. Setting up DAS takes only a few minutes and reapplying even shorter.

I use an ECV at WDW but not at home. My badly arthritic knees cannot take that much walking. However I can park and walk some - even into some attractions back when there was FP. I don't know what advantage I got other than being able to sit - most lines are mainstreamed. I've waited longer when I needed to stay in the ECV up until boarding. It's not obvious how painful my knees are after walking. I try not to judge anyone I see with a DAS or WC/ECV because I know there are many hidden disabilities. I can't tell it affects my vacation.

Maybe more people like me are likely to do a Disney vacation because they can use an ECV? I know it's the only vacation I enjoy anymore because everywhere we try to go the walking keeps me up in pain much of the night - and I don't get to see all the things I want to see in the daytime.

I think the handicap parking and support animals are things that exist everywhere and not just Disney so I don't know that the abuse of them is greater there.

**edited to add that one thing they "used to go out of the way" was to help those with food allergies - the chefs would come out, etc. However now they have done a great job of making it easier to see what allergens are in what food (for major allergens). It's nice not to have to call in advance to arrange meals, etc. like I used to have to do for one of my kids. Rather than curtailing the food service, I think they've made it easier to access the information.

The lighting lanes realky screwed this up in a lot of cases.

this was a problem for our party as well: My sister prefers not to use the chair but standing in crowded lines for 30 mins in the conjoined lighting lane disabled path is not possible for us: we are totally happy to wait the extra time for our turn based on the queue time we don’t want to jump anyone’s turn, but just can’t physically stand in the line because most of the lighting lanes were backed way up and no disability alternate for many rides.

we saw way too many people having to navigate their wheel chairs all through the crowded queue mazes in lighting lanes. At RotR at studios l. none of the staff really were sure on how to help us so we had to skip even though we used a return time wait for about 2 hours.

They can design a trackless ride where lightsaber holograms and virtual elevators and lasers are coming at you in every which way but they can’t incorporate a separate ramp into the loading area.

they could easily have a quick access ramp hidden from the main entrance quests right to the load on all new rides.

Hopefully it’s something that disney can work on, or have the cast prepared and trained how to usher those through. don’t want to be too hard on them in this instance as it’s a fixable problem and hopefully they can respond to this feedback

this was a problem for our party as well: My sister prefers not to use the chair but standing in crowded lines for 30 mins in the conjoined lighting lane disabled path is not possible for us: we are totally happy to wait the extra time for our turn based on the queue time we don’t want to jump anyone’s turn, but just can’t physically stand in the line because most of the lighting lanes were backed way up and no disability alternate for many rides.

we saw way too many people having to navigate their wheel chairs all through the crowded queue mazes in lighting lanes. At RotR at studios l. none of the staff really were sure on how to help us so we had to skip even though we used a return time wait for about 2 hours.

They can design a trackless ride where lightsaber holograms and virtual elevators and lasers are coming at you in every which way but they can’t incorporate a separate ramp into the loading area.

they could easily have a quick access ramp hidden from the main entrance quests right to the load on all new rides.

Hopefully it’s something that disney can work on, or have the cast prepared and trained how to usher those through. don’t want to be too hard on them in this instance as it’s a fixable problem and hopefully they can respond to this feedback

It's too bad that your sister chooses not to use a device that would have given her access, but that is her choice. Disney does not have to give anyone with a mobility issue (cannot stand in the line) a DAS at all, so I'm surprised she got that?

And yours is the perfect example why DAS does not work for those with mobility issues. They can not guarantee that you won't have a wait. So anyone that has mobility issues needs to help themselves and use a mobility device. There are thousands of people in the parks every day so there is no way that they can accommodate what you are asking for. That is instant, front of the line access. No way is that ever going to happen again. That is what caused all of the abuse issues in the first place. And it is really not the responsibility of ANY business to provide what you are asking for. That would mean that anyone who says that they have mobility issues, got to go directly to the front of the line everyplace. So grandma with bad knees would not have to wait her turn at a restaurant during their busy lunch time, etc. And that would also be like a business being required to provide other aids to those with issues, like glasses. I have a hard time reading small print, should every business that I go to have to provide me with reading glasses or should I bring my own? You see what I am saying here, right?

Hmm...I don't mind taking the ECV into lines that allow it. I think my bigger problem were the lines that did not allow for an ECV but had a WC to transfer to and I didn't have anyone to push me. Although I often did use the old FP for those attractions (like Buzz). I haven't had a problem navigating the ECV in any lines where it is allowed. I also know if I choose to walk into a line (no ECV or WC) that the attraction may go down so I'll have to choose to wait it out or leave the line if I don't want to stand for as long as it may require.

I'm sorry she had a bummer of an experience for some rides. I think it sounds like she would benefit from using an ECV or a WC.

I still prefer the old FP system - it was free - but will probably end up paying for LL for at least one day to see if it works for me. I have additional medical issues (not mobility related) so I'll see how it goes. Low crowds would be nice - haha!

It’s the end result of Disney’s only 2 categories of disabilities Mobility or Sensory. It’s lacks a lot of nuance and the end up asking people to use a wheel chair or scooter who never have before and who only need them situationally (like long lines) and then have to find something to do with them the rest of the day. Also having staff decide on DAS who are not well versed on the ADA.
Our issues are temporary and medical so it’s hit or miss if we get DAS renewed (we are AP so we have to do it every 60 days). The ADA classifies me as non disabled but conditions relating to my medical issue could cause disabilities that need to be accommodated. But we get told it’s mobility sometimes (it’s not) then the creative work around is to have our stroller tagged as a wheel chair which I hate. There’s not a safe way to put my toddler on a scooter or wheelchair with me and I can’t chase her in line or lift her for very long so the safest place for her is the stroller but then CMs go out of the way because they think I have a disabled child. A child who runs around yet has a wheelchair sticker. You know what would be nice? Some nuance to the policy. Or a CM to ask “do you need your stroller with you?” At least when we get DAS it doesn’t look so ridiculous. I can carry my child for a short period of time.
It’s more ridiculous that the trams still aren’t running. I ended up being unable to get back to my car one day and a CM had to drive me back. They told me I could request accessible parking until the trams are back…I don’t have a placard. So…that’s been weird. We aren’t fakers just people who fall into a “at the discretion of the cast member” gray area. However since they have a lot of “medical access overflow” lots now I don’t think that we are the only ones who wouldn’t need accommodation if the trams were running.

I will say I feel for people with permanent disabilities because navigating a temporary one has been rough and embarrassing.

It’s completely incorrect to say that Disney only has accommodations for mobility or sensory issues - they accommodate all sorts of things that don’t fall into either of those categories.

And quite frankly, they aren’t obligated to accommodate any condition that doesn’t meet the definition of disability under the ADA. They wouldn’t really have to provide accommodations for people with issues that only manifest when they’re at a Disney park.

**edited for typos

Last edited:
And quite frankly, they aren’t obligated to accommodate any condition that doesn’t meet the definition of disability under the ADA.
i think you misunderstand mine falls under the ADA but with that weird language about it not being a disability directly but causing disabilities that fall under the ADA. That makes it confusingly vague. It’s in there but not directly.

It’s the end result of Disney’s only 2 categories of disabilities Mobility or Sensory. It’s lacks a lot of nuance and the end up asking people to use a wheel chair or scooter who never have before and who only need them situationally (like long lines) and then have to find something to do with them the rest of the day. Also having staff decide on DAS who are not well versed on the ADA.
Our issues are temporary and medical so it’s hit or miss if we get DAS renewed (we are AP so we have to do it every 60 days). The ADA classifies me as non disabled but conditions relating to my medical issue could cause disabilities that need to be accommodated. But we get told it’s mobility sometimes (it’s not) then the creative work around is to have our stroller tagged as a wheel chair which I hate. There’s not a safe way to put my toddler on a scooter or wheelchair with me and I can’t chase her in line or lift her for very long so the safest place for her is the stroller but then CMs go out of the way because they think I have a disabled child. A child who runs around yet has a wheelchair sticker. You know what would be nice? Some nuance to the policy. Or a CM to ask “do you need your stroller with you?” At least when we get DAS it doesn’t look so ridiculous. I can carry my child for a short period of time.
It’s more ridiculous that the trams still aren’t running. I ended up being unable to get back to my car one day and a CM had to drive me back. They told me I could request accessible parking until the trams are back…I don’t have a placard. So…that’s been weird. We aren’t fakers just people who fall into a “at the discretion of the cast member” gray area. However since they have a lot of “medical access overflow” lots now I don’t think that we are the only ones who wouldn’t need accommodation if the trams were running.

I will say I feel for people with permanent disabilities because navigating a temporary one has been rough and embarrassing.
I think the CM was talking about medical overflow parking which is usually behind the handicapped and it does not require placard. but that parking area will not help at MK as that parking and the handicapped have an uphill walk to TTC. that area has never had tram service even before covid. hope this helps understand what you were told

Your statement about DAS just being for Sensory issues is not true. There are plenty of other issues that people get DAS for that are not for that. For example, frequent needs to leave the line. The problem with having any mobility issues being given a DAS is that it will open back up the abuse issues that they had in the past. You will see a huge uptick in people renting wheelchairs and ECVs like we had before they changed it. I don't know your issues, but it sounds like you might need another capable adult with you to help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the CM was talking about medical overflow parking which is usually behind the handicapped and it does not require placard. but that parking area will not help at MK as that parking and the handicapped have an uphill walk to TTC. that area has never had tram service even before covid. hope this helps understand what you were told
I think that is what the CM meant also.
The actual designated handicapped parking are marked with blue painted lines. Parking in one of the marked ones without a permit can result in a heavy fine.
But, just beyond the marked handicapped parking, there are ‘medical overflow’ spots. Those have white painted lines and can be parked in without a handicapped parking permit.
If you don’t have a handicapped parking permit to show, you will need to explain your need to each CM you come to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter