disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

markpenske

Mouseketeer
Years ago Disney would really go out of they way to help those with disabilities to have a Disney experience. That’s really not the case anyone. Why? My theory is there are so many people abusing the system.

You need look no further that the “handicap” parking lot. It’s quite common to see families park in a handicap spot, hop out and jog up to the gate. Obviously using someone else’s placard.

Folks slap a “Emotional Support Animal” vest on the family pet and poof: Service animal!

Probably the worst is when people get a scooter or wheelchair just to get some type of advantage. Our last we actually came across a family that was arguing on who turn it was to ride in the wheelchair.

Our son has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair full time and the slight advantages that Disney used to provide helped a bit but there are so many things we can’t do.

We’ve spoken to cast members on this issue and they basically told us they are not allowed to question guests and the fact that so many guests are abusing the system they cut back on the assistance. Somewhere along the lines the term “handicap” got lost.

Of course there are people with disabilities that may not be obvious to the untrained eye. My issue is with People that abuse the system. They should be ashamed, its embarrassing.

Probably the worst is when people get a scooter or wheelchair just to get some type of advantage. Our last we actually came across a family that was arguing on who turn it was to ride in the wheelchair.

I use an ECV at WDW but not at home. My badly arthritic knees cannot take that much walking. However I can park and walk some - even into some attractions back when there was FP. I don't know what advantage I got other than being able to sit - most lines are mainstreamed. I've waited longer when I needed to stay in the ECV up until boarding. It's not obvious how painful my knees are after walking. I try not to judge anyone I see with a DAS or WC/ECV because I know there are many hidden disabilities. I can't tell it affects my vacation.

Maybe more people like me are likely to do a Disney vacation because they can use an ECV? I know it's the only vacation I enjoy anymore because everywhere we try to go the walking keeps me up in pain much of the night - and I don't get to see all the things I want to see in the daytime.

I think the handicap parking and support animals are things that exist everywhere and not just Disney so I don't know that the abuse of them is greater there.

**edited to add that one thing they "used to go out of the way" was to help those with food allergies - the chefs would come out, etc. However now they have done a great job of making it easier to see what allergens are in what food (for major allergens). It's nice not to have to call in advance to arrange meals, etc. like I used to have to do for one of my kids. Rather than curtailing the food service, I think they've made it easier to access the information.

I have a handicap tag but “look” normal. I use an ecv at Disney but not at home. At home I just don’t go out much. When booking a flight I have to get medication from my doctor to control my allergies since I never know if an animal will be in the cabin. And I foresee the current das system changing since all people have to do is look on the internet and see what some people are saying to get a das for-I won’t spell out the reasons again. So yes there are a lot of abuses but not everything is as it seems.

Years ago Disney would really go out of they way to help those with disabilities to have a Disney experience. That’s really not the case anyone. Why? My theory is there are so many people abusing the system.

You need look no further that the “handicap” parking lot. It’s quite common to see families park in a handicap spot, hop out and jog up to the gate. Obviously using someone else’s placard.

Folks slap a “Emotional Support Animal” vest on the family pet and poof: Service animal!

Our son has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair full time and the slight advantages that Disney used to provide helped a bit but there are so many things we can’t do.

We’ve spoken to cast members on this issue and they basically told us they are not allowed to question guests and the fact that so many guests are abusing the system they cut back on the assistance. Somewhere along the lines the term “handicap” got lost.

Of course there are people with disabilities that may not be obvious to the untrained eye. My issue is with People that abuse the system. They should be ashamed, its embarrassing.
The previous system was much more generous, but it wasn’t just abuse by the non-disabled that led to the DAS, it was overuse by the disabled of a too generous policy.

it simply isn’t feasible to allow everyone with any kind of disability immediate access to the FP line.

I think "disability" has taken on broader meaning in the past couple of decades and with that society in general has become more accepting of those with different abilities. The more traditional concept of "disabled" meaning a person in a wheelchair has expanded -- rightly so -- to include others who do not have need for a wheelchair but have legitimate disabilities as well. And because society is more accepting, I think more people are willing to publicly acknowledge they have a disability and use the tools or services available to them. Much of this may also be related to a generally aging population who no longer sit at home flipping through photo albums and reminiscing -- they are out creating more memories, even if it's at a slower pace than when they were younger.

Fortunately, gone are the days when a disabled person was essentially a shut-in at an institution, unable to get around in the outside world and access what the rest of society took for granted.

I have no doubts there are those who abuse the system for any perceived "perk" they think they'll get. However, I really don't think that is a significant problem at WDW. Using a wheelchair or a service dog or an HA parking spot gains a person pretty much nothing with regards to a "greater" experience.

This is a matter of casting judgments when you don't know the whole story. I have a few friends with autistic kids and they have handicap placards. They were granted them because their kids have a tendency to elope and in parking lots that can be deadly, so the DMV will issue a placard for that reason, to minimize walking through large parking lots. You never know why anyone has a placard, but they're not very easy to get. You need to provide documented need (by a doctor).

As for the DAS, again, you don't know what people are dealing with. Ever. Don't assume that you know what people deal with just by looking at them.

As DAS users for over 12 years now for our autistic kids, we feel that Disney is still willing to go above and beyond to accommodate our needs, and have never been made to feel otherwise. When at the parks, we mind our own business and don't worry about who else is using a DAS and why. Disney doesn't seem to be overrun with "fakers."

We have a friend who is a retired Marine, around 41, who appears strong and healthy at first glance. He got a DAS last month at DL because what no one can see when looking at him is that in his backpack was an oxygen tank. He is dealing with long Covid months after being hospitalized in the ICU, suffering from 2 strokes and a pulmonary embolism, and he gets fatigued after standing or walking for more than 15 minutes due to lung damage. Periodically, he needs to sit down and take hits off his oxygen tank. He also was basically blown up in Afghanistan by an IED and has a traumatic brain injury that left him with a lot of anxiety in crowded situations. Disney granted him a DAS no problem, but I'm sure some people might look at him and think he is taking advantage of the program.

Last edited:
I do not think there is as much abuse as you think just more people in need of assistance. on my last trip I hurt my heal I could not walk with my backpack ( that has medical supplies in it) with out a lot of trouble but I used a wheelchair for it and pushed it I was able to walk just fine with it. I am sure I looked like a young person trying to take advantage of something but that was not the case.

I also use the DAS for sensory needs you sure can not see that just looking at me. like I said you really can not tell just by looking at someone wether or not they have a disability is there abuse probably yes just not so much that it made them change the system

I got a DAS for the first time this trip. I haven't been to WDW in 4 years, since my last trip where I ended up in the ER. Two rides I never want to go on ever again are the shuttle to urgent care and an ambulance ride to the ER (even though Disney took very good care of me both times!) My anxiety had gone untreated for many years, I'm in my late 50's and walked 12 miles at WDW the other day. With DAS, the physical symptoms of my anxiety (pelvic floor disfunction) are at a minimum. Yeah, I can feel the PFD starting to rev up, but nowhere as bad as that trip 4 years ago. OP, do you think I'm cheating the system because DAS helps me stay in the park instead of being in my room half the day?

I've seen a girl in a wheelchair with 2 service dogs on this trip, a woman with a golden retriever puppy in AK, and 11 people get on the bus with 1 family member in a scooter. The only advantage I see here is the last one, and the family actually questioned the CM and she said it was okay. I'm guessing they had been stopped for having too many people before.

I've seen very few other guests in the FP queue this trip - we've been able to walk right up to the CM to get a time for the most part, and walk up to the tapstile to get access. I feel like if there are tons of people getting DAS then I'd be seeing a lot more of them in the queues and with the CMs at the entrance.

I've seen a girl in a wheelchair with 2 service dogs on this trip, a woman with a golden retriever puppy in AK, and 11 people get on the bus with 1 family member in a scooter. The only advantage I see here is the last one, and the family actually questioned the CM and she said it was okay. I'm guessing they had been stopped for having too many people before.

Actually, the bus is no advantage. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to wait through 3 or 4 buses to get to the parks because they were full when they came to our bus stop. Also, scooters and wheelchairs are the last off the bus. Everyone else is already back at their room or they’re in the park long before we get off the bus.

When we first started going to Disney, I could walk the parks. We were able to ride far more rides and see more shows than we have been since I’ve had to use a scooter/wheelchair. Not a gripe in the least. I think Disney does more for disabled than other places, but I cannot imagine faking it in order to get some perceived advantage as the OP stated.

I’m glad you are able to get a DAS. I‘m thankful for Disney’s continued striving to help those of us who are disabled.

Yep, even see this kinda thing at home. Worst part is when they block a side or rear entry van from deploying the ramp because the offending car is parked right up against it.

Yeah, especially since it’s easy to buy those vests and fake papers on Amazon/ebay.

I too have the same disability, but have the version where I can walk, BUT NOT FOR LONG DISTANCES, so that’s why I bought my own personal powerchair.

I’m glad sites like Spinlife exist for those of us who need a wheelchair, but can’t wait 6 months for a completely customized chair, or like me, who doesn’t want to seek insurance approval for a wheelchair that in the insurance company’s eyes, you DON’T NEED because you can “walk”, but completely ignore the fact that you still have a disability that results in limited mobility and you can’t go more than x amount of distance before you are completely drained of stamina/endurance.

But then again, those sites enable the fakers to buy themselves (and sometimes their kids) totally custom wheelchairs that cost $5,000+, no questions asked.

Preach, brother, preach!

Even though it has been said already, I just want to say, not everyone may have a physical disability that you can see. So I have both Crohns Disease, and Ankylosing Spondylitis. The Crohns can make it so that I might have to use the BR maybe 3-4 or more times in an hour, no matter what I try and do. If a line is say an hour long, thats me getting on and off the line that many times. People get angry, and think I'm cutting the line. I also risk the chance of not being in line when ready to board, and having to get back in line again, it's a nightmare and embarrassing. Also due to the AS I constantly have swelling in parts of my body and can't control when it happens, as well as 2 labral tears one in each of my hips. Sometimes I can walk ok, other times I can't, and although I don't need a wheel chair or device atm there are times when the constant moving and stopping and moving and stopping puts more strain on it and makes me worse. So there are times when waits are lower and i'm feeling ok and just get on the line, and everything is fine. Other times, I could be feeling fine, get to Disney, do a ride or 2, and then things turn on a dime. I can't control that. I have heard people look at me when I've I asked for a return time, or when I'm walking up to a ride, and say things like you don't look disabled, or I bet she's faking it. I never have more than 1 person with me (my BF for help and supervision, Disney isn't something I could EVER do on my own). So I don't doubt there are some people who do abuse it, but don't forget there are some of us who may not look disabled, but have different medical issues.
One last thing I will say though, I do agree that there should maybe be 2 levels of DAS. Those with issues like mine, who can stay with the current system, and those who maybe need even more help and accessibility, where they can do more. Maybe try allowing them to sign up for 3 rides at a time, and if the wait is under say 30-40 mins, just let them on at that point. I do agree that some people may need more help than others.

Good for you. Every advocate for those who truly needs the services needs to step up and complain to help shame the abuse of the system. I think it’s getting abused because we live in this “no shaming” society. Even on your thread here people are saying you don’t have the right because you don’t understand the situation? That’s Bull roar. You understand it completely. Keep up the good work.

One last thing I will say though, I do agree that there should maybe be 2 levels of DAS. Those with issues like mine, who can stay with the current system, and those who maybe need even more help and accessibility, where they can do more. Maybe try allowing them to sign up for 3 rides at a time, and if the wait is under say 30-40 mins, just let them on at that point. I do agree that some people may need more help than others.

Yeah, there should be a seperate DAS that’s only for mobility issues, because for some rides you DO NEED to use a separate entrance because of stairs, narrow passageways, etc. in the regular line.

I got a DAS for the first time this trip. I haven't been to WDW in 4 years, since my last trip where I ended up in the ER. Two rides I never want to go on ever again are the shuttle to urgent care and an ambulance ride to the ER (even though Disney took very good care of me both times!) My anxiety had gone untreated for many years, I'm in my late 50's and walked 12 miles at WDW the other day. With DAS, the physical symptoms of my anxiety (pelvic floor disfunction) are at a minimum. Yeah, I can feel the PFD starting to rev up, but nowhere as bad as that trip 4 years ago. OP, do you think I'm cheating the system because DAS helps me stay in the park instead of being in my room half the day?

I've seen very few other guests in the FP queue this trip - we've been able to walk right up to the CM to get a time for the most part, and walk up to the tapstile to get access. I feel like if there are tons of people getting DAS then I'd be seeing a lot more of them in the queues and with the CMs at the entrance.

I think OP is talking about the abusers who BLATANTLY LIE about being disabled in order to get the front of the line privileges. (Example: People who use wheelchairs as “Shopping Carts”, fight over who gets to ride in the chair, tell their kids to fake a limp, and so on.)

Yeah, there should be a seperate DAS that’s only for mobility issues, because for some rides you DO NEED to use a separate entrance because of stairs, narrow passageways, etc. in the regular line.
I agree. I had a really bad ankle injury (it left me with torn ligaments so poor stability and absent proprioception) and am fine everywhere except poorly lit damp steps like at splash. I just need to be able to see puddles or step edges and be confident where I’m putting my foot. Several years ago I asked if I could bypass the stairs at splash, the CMs told me I had to use the main line or get a DAS to circumvent the stairs. Guest services told me I didn’t need a DAS since it’s a mobility issue and to use an assist device. I don’t need a walker or a cane or a wheelchair: I just need to know where my foot is going and where the puddles are.

I just don’t ride splash mountain anymore and it is kind of cruddy that is the solution.

edited: for clarity

Last edited:
I agree. I had a really bad ankle injury and am fine everywhere except poorly lit damp steps like at splash. I just need to be able to see puddles or step edges and be confident where I’m putting my foot. Several years ago I asked if I could bypass the stairs at splash, the CMs told me I had to use the main line or get a DAS to circumvent the stairs. Guest services told me I didn’t need a DAS since it’s a mobility issue and to use an assist device. I don’t need a walker or a cane or a wheelchair: I just need to know where my foot is going and where the puddles are.

I just don’t ride splash mountain anymore and it is kind of cruddy that is the solution.

You were given bad information - you don't need a DAS to avoid the stairs, nor do you need to have an assistive device in order to avoid the stairs. The CM at Splash should have just let you avoid the stairs, as the DAS has nothing to do with that kind of need.

The problem with that idea, IMO, is that the idea is to provide equal access, not better access.

I think OP is talking about the abusers who BLATANTLY LIE about being disabled in order to get the front of the line privileges. (Example: People who use wheelchairs as “Shopping Carts”, fight over who gets to ride in the chair, tell their kids to fake a limp, and so on.)

I didn't think it was possible to get FOTL privileges just by renting an WC or ECV - generally you're not put in a separate line except for some rides (and then that line can be slower). You're not usually put into the FP line (or treated like you have a DAS). Other than, as someone mentioned, being allowed to board the bus first and bring along family, there's no gain by renting a wheelchair? Genuine question lol!

My DH uses a wheelchair at disney about 70% of the time. Sometimes he walks pushing the wheelchair. He can walk, just slowly. There are a few rides I really miss FP because the distance to push him through the lines is sooooooo long. I don't care about the waiting, just the distance. And at times when there isn't a line , thinking NEMO ride, I stop and let the 25 people behind me go by. Me pushing him is slower than just people walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter