Digital Membership Cards?

Seems like a lot of effort for what must be a small group.

Except people in the fall were getting APs activated as white card owners because ticketing sold them vouchers they should not have. So I understand the need to verify it.

But, knowing that there is an issue, they should send everyone to GR who doesn’t have the correct affiliation so they can handle it quickly vs making someone do what they did at ticketing only to send them to GR anyway.

Just sharing my experience with a DVC Annual Pass renewal activation…

I’m a grandfathered resale owner. Yesterday we went to animal kingdom and needed to activate my partner’s AP that I previously purchased through member services. The cast member at the gate called her supervisor since she had not done a DVC activation before, which isn’t unheard of.

However, the supervisor was awful. She refused to accept anything other than the MagicMobile wallet, which is still showing DVC-ND for me. I tried to explain this is a known IT issue and showed her the digital (blue) card from the DVC website, but she cut me off and told me I had to contact member services to fix it. She forced me to step to the side of the ticket window and call DVC.

After a 25-minute hold (thankfully not longer with recent hold times!), I reached an excellent cast member. She was aware of the glitch and confirmed I’m eligible (which I knew). Eventually she spoke with the AK ticketing supervisor via my phone, but the supervisor wouldn’t budge saying she wasn’t aware of any IT issue and that she is unable to issue a ticket to a resale owner, specifically anyone without MagicMobile DVC-Y.

Member Services told me to push the issue since I’m eligible. Since my pass was activated last month, I went into the park and to Guest Relations, explained the whole thing and they ultimately resolved it. The entire process took over two hours; every time I’ve activated passes before it has been 5-10 minutes.

Other than DVC rolling out a flawed tool prematurely, my issue was one unfortunate cast member who was overzealous with her interpretation and enforcement. I’ve conveyed the encounter and my disappointment via email to DVC and WDW Guest Relations.

Hopefully mine was an exception and not what others will experience. But for me it was a frustrating exercise for something that was never an issue before this poorly implemented change to MagicMobile.
I just got angry reading this. I hope you included the CM's names involved in your communications to DVC and GR. This is just horrible training and communications from the DVC/CM side. Giving one of the most loyal and financially committed groups to Disney this kind of experience is terrible. MM was not ready, additionally it is pretty clear on this thread, there is a sizable group of members who are not interested in using it and actually do not want it to be the only alternative. I struggle that any company would treat any of its customers this way, let alone the most loyal. The leadership responsible for these decisions should be held accountable.

FIX the IT issues Bill.....

Called member services last night about different topic, at end inquired about the ND issue, she said the same everyone else has heard .. "known issue, they are working on it" - She said that she would 'submit a ticket' about our issue because we will be there on Sunday, but she didn't think it would be fixed by then - sigh.

Such a horrible decision and process to launch this without it working properly for a large contingent of members.

It just goes to show that Disney Corp no longer cares about being family friendly....its all about making $$ for shareholders.

I had major problems with this at Disneyland last week. Everything was perfect when I paid for things through the app, like Mobile Food Orders and shopping/purchasing in store with the app - my discount was automatically applied. At sit down dining locations everyone was just happy to see a flash of the downloaded temporary digital card. BUT in other retail/merchandise locations (which didn't offer app checkout) staff were adamant that they need to sight the Disney MagicMobile Pass, and the moment they saw "DVC ND" they were adamant I wasn't getting a discount. I try to explain about known glitches but they just looked blank, I showed evidence that when I checked out using the app I got the discount, but still not interested. Eventually all ended up applying the discount, but said "once only" and only because there was some leniency until end of January. Everytime they made we feel like I was getting something I wasn't entitled too. They better have this fixed before I head to WDW in November!

Except people in the fall were getting APs activated as white card owners because ticketing sold them vouchers they should not have. So I understand the need to verify it.

But, knowing that there is an issue, they should send everyone to GR who doesn’t have the correct affiliation so they can handle it quickly vs making someone do what they did at ticketing only to send them to GR anyway.
Except the OP showed the CM her digital blue card, which a white card member would not have been able to do - so apparently those fall white card folks were sneaking through w/out needing to show a card? They’ve always asked to see my card when I activated my AP.
The issue w/ sending everyone to GR is that OP was able to go into the park to resolve her partner’s issue because her pass was activated - normally you would not be allowed into the park until after you’d activated the pass - so unless they’re willing to let folks into the park to get to GR they‘ll need to send everyone w/ the incorrect ND to the guest relations in Disney Springs? & of course once you bus over to DS & get it sorted out there won’t be any buses back to your park.

Except the OP showed the CM her digital blue card, which a white card member would not have been able to do - so apparently those fall white card folks were sneaking through w/out needing to show a card? They’ve always asked to see my card when I activated my AP.
The issue w/ sending everyone to GR is that OP was able to go into the park to resolve her partner’s issue because her pass was activated - normally you would not be allowed into the park until after you’d activated the pass - so unless they’re willing to let folks into the park to get to GR they‘ll need to send everyone w/ the incorrect ND to the guest relations in Disney Springs? & of course once you bus over to DS & get it sorted out there won’t be any buses back to your park.
Sorry, I don’t understand why everyone has to go to Guest Relations at Disney Springs. Each WDW theme park has multiple Guest Relations windows outside each theme park.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Other than DVC rolling out a flawed tool prematurely, my issue was one unfortunate cast member who was overzealous with her interpretation and enforcement. I’ve conveyed the encounter and my disappointment via email to DVC and WDW Guest Relations
3 months after they first rolled out the digital card in 2016, we spent 2 days at DL using it for meals and merch throughout. On the way out the last night, my wife tried to use it for one last t-shirt and was declined by a manager who effectively accused her of forging the digital card. (we're talking about a 10% discount on maybe a $25 item here). I offered to show him the web site, and he stated he couldn't look at that and needed the card. I asked why it hadn't been a problem for 2 days until this moment and he said they were "more strict on Main Street". I won't waste time analyzing the unimaginable stupidity of that final remark, but needless to say every so often you come across someone like this, probably gunning to be CFO someday and further publicly shame guests for sport. Guest service is Russian roulette these days. Most of the time the CMs are truly great, but there's always that chance.

Nevertheless, sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you'll never have to encounter that person again. If you're ever in DL, careful with that digital card on Main Street until you get the magic "Y". I hear they're strict there...

They were showing the white card and it was being allowed. So obviously the whole blue and white card thing was not enforced.

This change has tightened everything down and at least they have communicated the new requirements to ensure only those eligible get it.

I can’t fault a CM for enforcing the rules as it is not their fault that this roll out has issues.

When I was there in January they said that come Feb 1st they were told to bring only accepting MM as it was to be fixed. Hopefully, the new info to continue to be flexible makes it to them soon since it is not

But I still think there should be a set place at the parks to handle it to ensure there are not issues like the OP encountered.

But there is a GR at Epcot outside the gate as well near International Gateway so DS isn’t the only place.

No excuse for a CM to be rude and not disagreeing this is a mess for those who do not have the correct affiliation.

I can’t fault a CM for enforcing the rules as it is not their fault that this roll out has issues.

No excuse for a CM to be rude and not disagreeing this is a mess for those who do not have the correct affiliation.
I'll concede that we can't fault a CM for enforcing what was communicated to them. "Accept screen shot or expired Blue Card till the end of Jan, but after that must be DVC Y". This was communicated by "informed" CM's starting in early Jan. But it had to be clear before Jan 31, that they were no going to make. What we can fault is the unacceptable lack of communication regarding the failure to meet the deadline and an adjustment to the original edict. The CM may not be at fault for not knowing the edict needed to me modified, but their leadership should be held responsible for failure to implement the fix and/or for failure to communicate that the end of Jan edict needs to be modified.

Additionally, once on the phone with MS, when MS tells the CM that the OWNER is eligible and for the discount, and the CM still refuses to issue the AP.... I'm sorry they are not just rude they are incompetent.

I'll concede that we can't fault a CM for enforcing what was communicated to them. "Accept screen shot or expired Blue Card till the end of Jan, but after that must be DVC Y". This was communicated by "informed" CM's starting in early Jan. But it had to be clear before Jan 31, that they were no going to make. What we can fault is the unacceptable lack of communication regarding the failure to meet the deadline and an adjustment to the original edict. The CM may not be at fault for not knowing the edict needed to me modified, but their leadership should be held responsible for failure to implement the fix and/or for failure to communicate that the end of Jan edict needs to be modified.

Additionally, once on the phone with MS, when MS tells the CM that the OWNER is eligible and for the discount, and the CM still refuses to issue the AP.... I'm sorry they are not just rude they are incompetent.

All very true but my original comments were simply to give context as to why the ticketing CMs may be taking a hard line on things now based on the communication they were given. This happened a few days after the Feb 1st date so it is possible that it did not make it down to all at that point. While we here know it was still an issue, those frontline CM's were most likely not given updates that it was still not fixed yet.

I agree that if they asked the member to call MS and then MS tells them that this particular owner is eligible, the supervisor should have allowed it. But, I also know when I was there in January to renew mine, the CM at ticketing, as we were talking, told me that the system would no longer allow it without the proper information. So, it is possible that the supervisor could not override the system and why they were sent to GR.

Again, it is a mess and it is on DVC and Disney for not making sure that this was correct before changing the rules and it is on them for not making sure that the alternative rules are communicated to everyone in a timely manner.

Add me to the list of having an incorrect Digital card affiliation "ND" and then could not renew my annual pass at will call. (Note - I did not know this was even a problem until I started researching it after I experienced the problem.)

I won't go into all the details but purchased an annual pass renewal, went to ticket booth to activate, same story as many above. They could not do anything, call anyone to verify, it was my responsibility to contact DVC to get the affiliation corrected.

CMs have been trained to only accept the electronic version (I didn't have my physical card but doubt that would have helped) so I get it. But escalating the issue did nothing - they have no process to address a very known problem, inconveniencing DVC guests.

Talking with DVC, they told me to view my temporary member card from the DVC website on my phone and show that to Guest Services (Go to My Dashboard, Membership Card/Identification link is in top right hand corner), not the digital download (in other words, implying not even tell Guest Services you have it downloaded through Magic Mobile). Not sure that will actually work since I left will call but that's what DVC advised.

That displays my Blue Membership Card with an Expiration of 03-05-2022 (which is one month from today). There is also an option to print it.

DVC could not provide an ETA on when the issue would be fixed besides the generic "it's a known issue that is being worked on".

Last edited:
Sorry, I don’t understand why everyone has to go to Guest Relations at Disney Springs. Each WDW theme park has multiple Guest Relations windows outside each theme park.

Am I misunderstanding something?
More likely my knowledge of GR relations is at fault, there are the windows outside each park entry where you go to activate APs normally, I assume OP was at the one outside AK where the ticketing supervisor refused to activate her companion’s AP. Then there are the GRs inside the parks & at DS where you go inside an office like building w/ counters & they deal w/ more complex issues (IME) where the OP went to resolve the ND issue.
I guess the fact that they aren’t currently selling APs & only some members are incorrectly labeled ND means only a limited number of folks are going to have to deal w/ the issue & apparently DVC doesn’t care if those folks have to waste hours of their vacation.

Appreciate everyone’s comments. It’s most definitely a first-world problem, but still annoying! A few follow-up comments below.

I chose to go to guest relations in the park (vs the few guest relations windows adjacent to the tapstiles outside the entrance) for two reasons: the line inside was much shorter and I feel it is easier to talk to someone in person (even with plexiglass) rather than using the window where they are inside and I’m standing outside. I'm sure this is just a personal preference. If I hadn’t been able to enter the park, I hope it would have been resolved as easily using the guest relations (vs ticket booth) pre park entry. Once guest relations agreed to issue the AP, Brad and I had to use the pre-park entry window, but they knew we were coming and issued the AP without issue. I will add that the cast member trying to help people before they get in this line initially tried to send us back to the ticketing windows but let us in line after I explained it’s something they can’t handle up front.

I place most of the responsibility for this debacle on DVC. From my perspective they created a solution for a problem that didn’t seem to exist before; the membership cards worked. Yes, there were some instances of ‘blue card’ benefits being extended to ‘white-card’ members, but that is not substantively different than training on DVC-Y vs DVC-ND. It's possible Disney Parks wants to transition to MagicMobile and DVC was chosen first, but if that was the case it would seem more logical to implement for Annual Passholders first.

In my situation, I have issues with the supervisor, but thankfully, it is rare to encounter cast members like her. She as much said this isn’t her problem and I need to work with member services, which is a far cry from the customer service on which Disney has historically prided itself. Also, as someone mentioned above, and one of the points I made in the email I sent, the implication was that I was cheating, stealing or seeking something I’m not eligible to receive, which is a bad feeling.

Regarding cast members, I appreciate keeping thousands of employees abreast of policies and procedures, not to mention issues and exceptions, is challenging at best. However, the onus is on Disney to either find ways to appropriately convey these details or make the situation right. I try to remember the front-line cast members often endure the guest frustration – and sometimes abuse – for decisions made by others, who are often sheltered from the repercussions of their decisions. I was always calm and respectful towards this supervisor, but her behavior made me less sympathetic to her. She essentially said, ‘it’s not my problem, contact member services’ and couldn’t be bothered to assist. And yes, I definitely included all cast member names in my email, both those deserving praise and the troublesome supervisor.

I agree with others that hopefully the grandfathered-member glitch is resolved soon, but I doubt the technical resolution will alleviate all confusion and issues with MagicMobile verification.

Add me to the list of having an incorrect Digital card affiliation "ND" and then could not renew my annual pass at will call.

Ugh, sorry you are going through this too. I tried showing the card from the website, as DVC suggested you do, but the supervisor didn't care; only Magic Mobile mattered to her.

Hopefully you find a guest relations representative more understanding and helpful. Ticketing/will call seems to be the barrier, including their supervisors. Good luck!

I am blessed with not having the ND issues of others. Having been here this week with the spectacular digital “card,” I find it laughable that Disney then asks me for a photo ID to prove who I am. So, my wallet comes out anyway. This whole debacle is merely a solution in search of a problem. The cost of the man hours associated with the issues of implementation and dealing with obtaining discounts from members have surely exceeded the cost of the physical cards. BTW, who was the genius who decided to free the digital ID of that pesky membership number that Guest Services needs to renew your annual pass? Fortunately, I had my old handy dandy obsolete and expired blue card right next to my equally quaint physical driver’s license.

Ugh. DVC probably came down on Will-Call and GRs for improper vetting...yet now is like, “nah, ND is ok, the system is flawed...”

Frustrating for everyone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter