Detours, Laughter, Lights and the clock carried around the world! A Busch Gardens Williamsburg Trip Report! (Concluded 12/23!)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has been on our bucket list I'm enjoying the trip report. Was wondering if you did any of the rides while you were there? Just want to know how good they run in colder weather.

We were there earlier this month as well - we rode the train, Verbolten, the Peppermint Twist (teacups), Grover's Alpine Express, Der Autobahn (bumper cars) and the Sky Ride. Everything worked fine but when riding the two coasters it was COLD.

I'm so sorry for your loss - please take your time....
Thank you tetera.

It was a very shocking loss. Due to the holiday they will not be buried/have an service until after the new year so we are taking it one day at a time.

Edited because my autocorrect hates me

Last edited:
We were there earlier this month as well - we rode the train, Verbolten, the Peppermint Twist (teacups), Grover's Alpine Express, Der Autobahn (bumper cars) and the Sky Ride. Everything worked fine but when riding the two coasters it was COLD.
SO COLD! Getting there in the trip report lol!

DAY 3 PART 2: 12/4- BUSCH GARDENS

First of all thank you for all your kind words and understanding. My aunt will be sorely missed, but I am at peace knowing she is reunited with my late uncle, and that she also passed peacefully with no suffering.

Between that and work and my theatre company I have been going non stop! But I am determined to finished this report by Friday, Saturday at the latest!

Let’s continue on shall we?

Since the wheelchair broke, upon getting to the park my aunt T went with my mom to rent a wheelchair while mom picked up her scooter. We headed out into the park towards the right this time and saw some of the animals. One of the gorgeous Clydesdales were out today.
76D3599F-DD8F-472B-87D9-D87D29DD0833.jpeg

We then made our way into New France (Canada) to do pottery! My mom and aunts used to do ceramics and paint otters for years until the woman retired and moved. She ran it out of her furnished basement as a side business! So we wanted to paint.

5E6AF787-A2E5-4640-9BC9-8824FCAFB6B0.jpegThis ice skater decor was outside France but I loved this picture in the light so I’m putting it here!

My mom (and aunt T after my mom got tired) and I made matching nutcrackers and my aunt L painted a gnome. My dad went to the woodcraft shop and got a cool holiday themed wood piece! He also got some Wassail (a spiked cider) while we were painting.

We were there for a couple of hours and then decided we were hungry. At this point I also realized I hadn’t ridden any rides! So my dad, aunt L and mom went to get foot from New France and my aunt L and I went with my grandmother to a heated seating area. They eventually made it back with the food and usually New France is a hit! It’s barbecue but smoked bbq like you’d find in Memphis. So think brisket and chicken and ribs. I can tell you the sides were delicious as was the apple crisp. But the meal as a whole left much to be desired. We wondered if it was just a holiday menu as it’s very rare New France misses with food.

We admitted defeat and my grandma mentioned seeing a clock the day before in Germany she wanted to purchase. Which is where the last part of the title comes in. For some reason shipping it home was not an option and thus started my dad, aunt T and I hauling it around BGW that we started making jokes about it😂

After this we decided to take pictures in front of the Christmas tree in Germany and we didn’t realize that it was part of a light show!
BDD0FD79-B4CB-4DFA-ACC4-11B94E27AE25.jpeg

We waited and then got some pictures thanks to some awesome humans. Then I went to try and get the spirit jersey I saw the day before. Let’s just say the entrance into Das Festhaus (the beer hall) was a mile long and snaking around a queue to the side a la Howl O Scream. So my mom said to send her a link and I can open it on Xmas 😂

After that we trekked back to New France to ride the train to see the lights around the park!

It was cold,

So very

Very

COLD

but WORTH IT!

Absolutely stunning displays. It’s a shame no camera (unless expertly used like Craig and Ryno) would do these lights justice. It was also so much fun to see everyone wave at everyone as we passed the railroad crossings, and their skyliner buckets trimmed in lights ascending to the sky was brilliant.

7E23F093-C632-49B5-9AB0-7FB130BA9509.jpeg
1988B281-A1CD-4706-BFF5-24E08191F940.jpeg
1B8D6B42-DEEB-4939-9E28-4E41F8FDD773.jpeg
POMPEII in all her (waterless for the winter) glory!

A6DD36B7-998E-459A-8C82-CCF0560620BF.jpeg

After the train ride we decided to try and get some treats and head out but we discovered the lines were super long! I don’t think I’ve ever seen the lines at BG this long! We admitted defeat and walked around some more. We bahhhed with some sheep and rams and then took it all in.

E92B97C3-4518-4C17-8E20-CCDA302BE551.jpeg

We left and headed to Dunkin before heading back to the hotel to pack.

HOWEVER much as we love our little one, she was not happy with us. While we remembered to put all the garbages high up so she wouldn’t get to them, we left some of our freshly purchased outlet bags organized neatly against the wall. Well let’s just say the plastic bag a purchase of mine was in was on top of a michael Kors bag on the floor and I came in to see it (not the merch though that she oddly avoided) ripped to shreds and michael kors related stuff everywhere. I was more worried that she may have swallowed a piece of the plastic bag that I immediately checked her teeth and took the merch out of the bag and put the bag back together so to speak and we were sure she didn’t eat it. We couldn’t blame her, and that was on us for leaving it on the floor. We looked around for more damage and realized she just tore that up, ate and slept and played with her toys. Now we know what to do in the future, and that she clearly was less anxious in the hotel, it cemented our decision to let her stay in the hotel and not the kennel as the day before proved messy. She is totally fine now. No issues physical or emotional. But it was still scary and I kept blaming myself.

After that we took her out and packed and showered and went to bed.

The clocks are amazing but I’m so sorry you had to haul that clock around! They do have package pickup where they will send it to the front of the park and they give you a receipt so you can collect it on your way out near the wheelchair return (probably not very helpful to you now- it would have been nice if they had given you that option)!

The clocks are amazing but I’m so sorry you had to haul that clock around! They do have package pickup where they will send it to the front of the park and they give you a receipt so you can collect it on your way out near the wheelchair return (probably not very helpful to you now- it would have been nice if they had given you that option)!
I am totally unsure of how we got the clock, but yeah it’s now a fun story with a crazy continuation which we will get to lol!

DAY 4: 12/5 TRAVEL DAY HOME

On this day we were up bright and early to head to one of our fave spots: Mama Steves House of Pancakes. Its sister restaurant is the Jefferson and it has all cool Dutch and Scandinavian decor all around it.

7C7BC1AB-8CF7-40E0-BB90-E9C3911ACC03.jpeg
Just some of the holiday decor Mama Steve’s had out.

However, between us being there at open, it being cold in general and our own stupid expectations, it wasn’t as good as we remember. Service was great, drinks were nice and hot or nice and cold depending on what you drank. but the food was either really hot or really cold. My oatmeal was good but my bacon was cold. We think it has new owners. It was kind of a shame because it still has great service. We do think we will try it again, but much like New France it was disappointing.

We then headed back to the hotel, packed up the van including the clock (which became a game of Tetris lol) and checked out. We ended up stopping at a Dunkin somewhere mid morning about an hour from DC.

BBA20B9D-CB9F-4DE8-9A51-FD0729F1EDA6.jpeg
Said clock during the packing process.

Again why they didn’t ship it home or at least to the front of the park we have no idea but this is now a hilarious story.

After that we braved are way through 95 and DC and Baltimore.

7B9BA465-1A91-4B1C-8DA7-0C7351EC27F7.jpeg
Washington Monument

We eventually stopped at this gorgeous new rest stop at around noon for bathroom and lunch at Nathan’s before continuing on. We hit one more stop around 2:30 for gas and we’re home by 4. My aunt T and grandma went with my dad so he could drop the van off and my aunt L and mom and I got the little one settled and we ordered food and did a ton of laundry!

And so ends our weekend in Williamsburg. While we didn’t do even 1/3 of the holiday events, or go to merchants square, we still had a great time and would go again in a heartbeat.

I’ll do a wrap up, but thanks for joking me on this trip report! Have a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!

BH5💜

Bonus dog tax on top of her BGW Squishmallow on the ride home:
DB644F98-20ED-45A3-9C41-5480E7550F32.jpeg
Clearly she is very camera shy lol

WRAP UP:

Once again-while I don’t like doing it this way especially given experiences lead to opinions of things and everyone has different experiences and opinions-I will be doing a pros and cons and neutral about the trip! Also CLOCK UPDATE

CONS:

• our own minds. Yes again we kept comparing things to previous experiences but we also were worried about our little one. This caused some extra anxiety we didn’t really need.
  • The weather. If it hadn’t rained one day we would’ve done a lot more
  • Some of the food. Idk if it’s a victim of the pandemic or they change things up but it is disappointing
  • NOT DOING EVERYTHING! So many shows I wanted to see, barely any rides ridden, and treats not tried! However we realized that not riding rides was just as fun, but we did want to see some shows.
  • Some staff not knowing things. I understand there is a lot of new staff, but it was very odd that some didn’t know about where certain things were.
  • The clock lol

NEUTRAL:

• not riding rides. Yes I’m putting this here as well because while we didn’t get to ride we did still have fun and honestly didn’t miss a lot. Would’ve been fun to do invadr in near darkness and apollos chariot surround by lights though
  • not doing merchant square. Would’ve been nice and we would’ve gotten to walk little one through it and some of Colonial Williamsburg which would’ve been great for her to get out and explore more but it wasn’t meant to be.
  • Kennel. While it is clean and well kept and a gorgeous area for walking, it’s not for us and our dog. Maybe this will change one day, but that’s just us. It is a steal at $10 a day though.

PROS:

• rental van. Chrysler made a great model and Enterprise gave it to us clean. Also came with EZPass.
  • Residence Inn by Marriott on Richmond Road. Really great service and clean minus some wear and tear.
  • The Seafare-still an incredible meal
  • The outlets-while there were some losses there were also some vast improvements
  • Busch Gardens Williamsburg-still proves why it wins landscaping and cleanliness awards year after year. And gorgeously decorated. Entertainment top notch and most of the staff knowledgeable and all the staff was incredibly friendly.
  • Burgermeister Hideaway: DO IT! One of the best experiences I’ve ever had in a theme park hands down.
  • New rest stops and over 55 years old communities for having a plethora of places to rest that are clean and have options.

CLOCK UPDATE: It was too heavy for the wall my grandmother wanted it on. Somehow the clock landed falling off the wall with barely a scratch and just some change of batteries.

The wall on the other hand….yikes. My aunt T thinks she is gonna make a heavier wall fastener and use it as a decoration instead of an actual clock 😂🙃

May you have a wonderful holiday season and a happy and healthy new year!

BH5💜

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter