Detours, Laughter, Lights and the clock carried around the world! A Busch Gardens Williamsburg Trip Report! (Concluded 12/23!)

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I’m back with another PTR that will turn into a TR!

Yes we are *finally* heading out on our long weekend trip to Williamsburg VA for the holidays. This trip has been postponed multiple times and it’s finally happening!

Last time my parents and I were there it was 2018 and we went during the summer which they consider normal park hours and operations as Water Country USA is open and the parks are open every day! The last time my aunts came was our first trip in 1999! And in terms of my dog and grandmother: never😱

Yes everyone is coming with us!

We managed to find a hotel that accepts dogs, we have her kennel reservations booked at Busch Gardens, and we are all ready to go!

And the best part is on if my best friends who is in the Navy might come join us if she and her husband don’t have a lot going on!

So how are we doing this exactly?

Pre trip: Pick up rental car, grab snacks for the room and pack

Day 1: pick up Dunkin and family members and start the drive down. Stop a couple times along the way. Arrive in Williamsburg hopefully by 4 pm. Dinner at the Seafarer restaurant

Day 2: Breakfast, then the outlets. At BG by 1:30 as we have a reservation for BergermiEster Hideaway, the new interactive speakeasy. Then enjoy the park.

Day 3: same as the day before, but park opens later

Day 4: grab breakfast and start the trek home!

Can’t wait to bring you all on this journey!

BH5💜

Hi all!

BroadwayHermione5 here! I’m glad to be starting this trip report (and my second of the year wow!)

So my family and I love Busch Gardens and Williamsburg. It actually the place we have been to more than Disney! So much has changed over the years (mostly for better) and thankfully even with the pandemic many of our favorites survived! We always do our best to support local businesses and we were happy to see this historical AND college (yes the College of William and Mary is there) town thrive again.

This would be the first time my grandmother ever visited and the first time my two aunts have been since I was little. It was also my 3 year old Yorkie’s (aka little one) first long car ride and vacation ever. So kind of a big deal.

The last time my parents and I came was in summer 2018. The time before that we had come during Howl O Scream (which is an amazing event) and after 2018 we wanted to come back for the holiday season and experience Christmastown. Sadly between family members getting sick, passing away, and the pandemic we had to keep pushing it back but we finally made it!

There were many things to worry about including renting a car, finding a hotel that would accept pets (and my poor dog-she is a victim of the pandemic because we got her in October 2019 and just as she was getting used to our schedules the world shut down and we were home. When we started back up again she started getting severe separation anxiety. On top of that another dog jumped out of a car at her and she’s been slightly spooked ever since. So we were worried.)

However many things worked in our favor. After finding out my dad gets rental car discounts when we were heading to California this summer, we got an excellent discount on a van. We also were able to find the Residence Inn by Marriott in Richmond Road that allows dogs, and since ours was so small and we were putting her in the kennel at BGW, they waived the fee for us. And let me tell you they are used to bigger dogs. We saw labs, shepherds, collies, spaniels….all bigger than our 6 pound teacup Yorkie.

Now I will preface this by saying we didn’t get to do everything we wanted. As my parents said if it was just the three of us we might have braved it, but torrential downpours and cold don’t mix well for others, and limited hours also cause some mild chaos.

Anyhoo I hope you enjoy coming along for the ride! And I hope I convince some of you to visit BGW!

DAY 1: 12/2-TRAVEL DAY

Really this starts on 12/1 when my dad and aunt went to pick up our rental van. We got a gorgeous Chrysler van with bucket seats in the middle (my mom wanted this so the little one could roam freely if she pleased) and a well trunk! For those that don’t know what that is: it goes down under the seats so we were able to fit everything in there and still see out the back. It was an organized game of Tetris but it worked.

So that night we dropped off stuff at our neighbors as they were watching the house and my mom and aunt (we will call this aunt aunt T to avoid confusion) went to the store to grab basic snacks and drinks as well as drop off stuff to my cousins as we were missing the return of their annual holiday sweater party and we wanted to show our gratitude and sadness we wouldn’t be there.

While that was happening my dad and other aunt (we will call her Aunt L) and I started packing ourselves up (our tiny adorable Yorkie had been packed for a week😂).

So anyway at appx 6:45 AM my aunt T and grandma pulled into the driveway and we started the Tetris game. Then aunt L and I piled into the back seat with the dog, my grandma and other aunt in the bucket seats and my parents in the front and we were off! Well off to Dunkin that is for donuts and something to drink!

After that we were off! Minus one stop to top off the gas tank (thank god we did) and let little one do her business.

And we were making excellent timing. We breezed down 95 and then we hit traffic in Delaware. Nothing unusual at first, but then we realized something was off and we were being detoured off of 95. It was nearing 11 at this point (we had been stuck in this buildup for about an hour).

Thankfully we were rerouted into a 55 and over Community area. Like brand new/built up in recent years. And we see a sign for a bunch of food things, including Panera and McDonalds right next to each other! We were sold!

Now my grandmother and sometimes my aunt T are very picky eaters. And my dad wanted to use the restroom and then come back with the dog. So he and my aunt T traded off the dog and to use the bathroom. I then used the bathroom, told my mom what I wanted from Panera and headed next door to the McDonald’s (btw these were both huge with ample indoor and outdoor seating and a drive through!).

We got the McDonald’s food and headed back in. I got some containers to bring mine and my dads food out to the van so I could sit with him and our dog). I had the you pick two mac and cheese (which someone got to lick the bowl and it wasn’t me lol) and the spicy chicken sandwich no pickles. It was really good but I should’ve asked for the garlic aioli on the side as why it was good, it was covering the sandwich and made stuff soggy. Not even the chicken sauce was spread out that much.

After checking Google maps and Waze, we realized they both updated to involve the detour and we piled in the van and headed out. We ended up going through farm country and eventually over the Chesapeake Bay via bridge. Due to the nice weather we got some lovely views! And we were now in Maryland!

D4389262-FB31-47DB-8367-4D767AF25AAD.jpeg

2E388DAF-91BF-4D2F-9463-754BC4A55BFF.jpeg

Some of said views!

Turns out this detour allowed us to avoid the chaos that usually comes with driving through Baltimore and DC and next thing we know we are back in 95 and then almost immediately we are able to get on the Mechanicsville Highway. Our assumption is it took us through the DeMarVa peninsula and then we wound up on back roads for a little bit before getting on 95.

We made one more bathroom stop and continued on. We were a little sad as the timing we were making would’ve put us in Williamsburg for 3:15 and it was now 4:30 ETA. We admitted defeat and eventually made it to the Residence Inn on Richmond Road.

We immediately checked into our two bedroom suite and checked the suite thoroughly. It was MASSIVE. I’m mad I didn’t get any pictures pre us making it our home for the next few days! There was some wear and tear but we think that is due to the allowance of pets and the fact that students from William and Mary probably stayed here when they initially came back after Covid shutdown. But it was very clean and the staff was friendly. I wish I took more photos. The pool and fire pit were outside so they were shut down but they had outdoor holiday lights on the outside, snacks, water and ice cream in the lobby from the afternoon on and a small but very clean and organized buffet breakfast area.

Our suite had a nice size kitchen, a pull out couch that could easily sleep two and an electric fireplace and desk when you first walked in. To the left was a room with a king size bed and big bathroom (sink outside) and closet. To the right was a slightly smaller room with two queen size beds and a slightly smaller closet and bathroom (once again sink on the outside). We all used each others bathrooms but primarily my parents and I used the king size room bathroom and my aunts and grandma used the other. My grandma ended up on the couch because she liked its size and I slept with my aunt L. The little one slept with all of us lol.

After checking everything and setting up the dog, we drove the minute down the road (we drove around afterwards to show my aunts and grandmother everything) to one of our favorite restaurants: The Seafare. We made this discovery in 2004 and it’s our first night tradition ever since. Sadly the only photos I got was of the rum bread they serve you upon entering but it was, as always, delicious.

4E92B9C8-3174-45F8-822C-1B9CA2163905.jpeg
The infamous rum bread! And the only photo I got of dinner lol!

We all had some drinks and the rum bread and asked for some warm rolls. My mom and aunt L had clam chowder and caeser salad to start (which everyone except my grandma ended up having some salad lol). I had the French onion soup and my dad had the steamed muscles in a sauce I am forgetting, but everything was hot and fresh. We then got our palette cleanser (yes you get a little sorbet like in Princess Diaries and many weddings I’ve attended lol). For dinner, my aunt T and grandma split the filet mignon with baked potato and mixed veggies of broccoli and carrot. I had the same thing just cooked slightly different. My mom had the crab stuffed shrimp and backed potato, my aunt L had the Chesapeake oysters with baked potato and my dad had the Seafood Sauton (I so spelled that wrong) which was a bunch of different stuff and a bald potato. Stuffed and ready to go, our bill-with tip and knowing we had appetizers and drinks-was under $400. We were expecting a lot more with prices being raised and technically being in the off season, but everything was fresh and well prepared. Service was as always excellent, and we were totally fine paying that price. If you always set aside time for one fancy meal, or want to support a local restaurant and not a chain, my family and I highly recommend the Seafare. And do not worry about not being dressed fancy enough. I usually end up in a nice top and shorts (or in this case jeans) and am totally fine. But don’t be alarmed by people coming in fancy dress.

I’m gonna end this part here but I’ll immediately continue it:)

DAY 1: 12/2 TRAVEL DAY PART 2!

We then took a drive around to see what was still there. We went down Monticello towards the better movie theatre complex. Then back up to Richmond road. Quite a few new restaurants popped up and I was happy to see they weren’t chains and were various types of cuisine from Thai to Greek to Mexican! The not as good movie theatre complex even got some nice new places. And everything has gotten a face lift since 2018! New coats of paint, new outsides, it was incredible to see. They even got an Aldi! They also built a middle school! And new apartments. Williamsburg is shaping up to be a beautiful area to live and work. Sadly we also saw some not so good things. The Yankee Candle outlet-which was built specifically for that and a Carrabas-was shuttered due to the pandemic. A few stores in the outlets were gone, and some small businesses sadly shuttered. But for the most part, Williamsburg seems to be bouncing back.

It was also around this time I got very curious as to what caused us to detour in Delaware and I googled and I found out. TRIGGER WARNING: it’s not pretty. I’ll just share this link here. (Mods if not allowed let me know!). https://www.inquirer.com/news/i-95-closed-delaware-car-chase-20221202.html?outputType=amp

So needless to say we were grateful for the detour and not just because it led us to a Panera and away from the chaos of 95.

We eventually got Dunkin and headed back to the room. We took care of little one (one of our many nicknames for our dog) and showers and set up. We were all in bed before nine and snoring by 9:30 because we were so tired.

But tomorrow was going to be a fun day!

Enjoying this report. I think the last time I was at Busch Gardens was 1983. I was in Williamsburg before kids so over 25 years ago. A few times we looked into going back but we never have. We are not too far away (Maryland).

Enjoying this report. I think the last time I was at Busch Gardens was 1983. I was in Williamsburg before kids so over 25 years ago. A few times we looked into going back but we never have. We are not too far away (Maryland).
Thank you!

I’d highly recommend it! So much of the area is built up now and there have been many great changes!

Only thing I would wish they would do is incorporate some sort of films and tv tour. I know Turn: Washington’s Spies filmed in Colonial Williamsburg and Richmond/North VA area as has The Walking Dead World Beyond and countless other shows! Maybe I need to start a business lol!

Last edited:
DAY 2: 12/3-BUSCH GARDENS DAY 1 PART 1

Well it wasn’t fully a Busch Gardens day. Hence why this part might have little to no photos!

As I’ve mentioned previously my grandma can be a picky eater but she also has to eat with her pills. While on the search for milk and juice for all of our pills, my aunt T and I found the hot breakfast. She told me to head back to the room with the stuff and get my grandmother so she could feed her some scrambled eggs before we head out.

When I came back with my grandmother, I also got some scrambled eggs for the little one as she was not adjusting to the new space well and barley touched her food. She thankfully ate the eggs and some of a Nutrigrain bar.

After that we finished getting ready and headed off to Cracker Barrel. Yours truly was also in search of new socks as while I bought enough, sadly my pair I was changing into in the bathroom fell into water and were soaked and we had no time to find the laundry room.

So we headed out to Cracker Barrel. It was decently crowded for a Saturday but nothing too chaotic. Our breakfast was good (I don’t remember what everyone else had but I had the biscuits and sausage gravy). I bought some socks at the general store (go Virginia tech!) and we headed out into the rain.

We drove around some and decided to head back to the room. We had reservations for the new Burgermeister Hideaway experience at 2 so we wanted to be at the park by 12:30 (rope drop was at 12). Well we failed. We all ended up napping. Which caused mass chaos.

And I’ll leave you all in suspense muahahahahaha (but probably not for that long lol)

DAY 2: 12/3 DAY 2 PART 2 BGW

Where I left off mass chaos had ensued as we realized we needed to hightail it in the rain to BGW due to a reservation. And in the rain and with it being slightly cold (it later got humid) this was no fun. We piled in the car by 12:45 and made it to the pet kennel by 1. It was very clean and we got our little one settled and she was not happy. We promised her we would be back (they do not walk or feed them but the kettle is very clean and they have a gorgeous walking path for the animals). I think what scared her more was they put other pets who were more scared then her around her. I’ll come back to this later.

Then we went to pick up my moms ECV she had previously reserved. My grandma refused the wheelchair we had bought for her which we never should have let her refuse it as this caused some slowdown in the rain and understandably so. She is elderly and the wheelchair would’ve kept her feet off the ground and dry.

We get through security and head into the England/UK section of the park (which had a Julie Andrews Holiday album playing I was OBSESSED!) They had some Dickensian characters greeting you, but my goal was to look for staff to get to Germany. For those that don’t know: Germany is in the back of the park and is in my opinion the middle of the park. When asking which way would be quicker to get to the hideaway, the staff member said to go to the left past Sesame Street area, Italy and Festa Italia. Then I’ve the bridge to Germany. Well, I ended up going ahead and stopping every so often to make sure people were there. It was now nearing 1:50 and with the rain and chaos of where to go I was afraid we weren’t going to make it. Thankfully a staff member knew what I was talking about ( a few I talked to along the way didn’t) and led me in the right direction. I finally found a higher up and they led me in the right direction. Due to the rain they actually weren’t having us wait outside like you are supposed to and had us all cram inside and we’re waiting for everyone to arrive as the only times today were 2 and 4. We eventually made it and were given a family name and when you reserve they asked you if you want a beer flight, a cocktail flight or a mocktail flight. Now my mom did not realize this and totally forgot to mention she was allergic to red wine she just did 3 beer and 3 cocktail and we had to switch which caused some chaos.

Now I’m not going to go into full detail as a) they only allowed photos-no video or audio-because they want to preserve but allow for some teasing of the experience and b) I also want to preserve the experience for you. But I also want to give you enough info to deem if you and your family would enjoy this. I would say even though there are mocktail a, kids under 12 will definitely not enjoy this, and I would say 14 is a safe bet. You also only fit including staff and characters maybe 20 humans in the hideaway. So it can get very cramped. The only food is also popcorn which was gorgeously seasoned with herbs and white cheddar. They also have water as they encourage you to stay hydrated.

Basically you are at speakeasy. Ever seen the movie beer fest? That’s how the experience sort of starts. I got really excited but the actors are at Starcruiser level improv aka fantastic and played it off well. You enter and place your cards indicating which flight on the table and are greeted depending on your party’s place in line. The reason we are supposed to start outside is because they call you by the funny name they give your party and it makes people go ***?!?

A4B3DB15-5588-44EE-AA1A-309600ABD447.jpeg
Just a fraction of the cuckoo clock wall!

Anyhoo what ensued was a fun and hilarious hour of drinking and storytelling and hilarity. Whoever created this deserves a raise. I would love to know what it is like during howl o scream and the summer as I know they changed the drinks up.

8E909EE6-CCE5-43BD-89B2-AFDCFC5EB64E.jpeg
804761C4-FE75-464C-B94A-E150ECA6E5B0.jpeg
C6D87DF3-7572-4564-A755-29044009C8DE.jpeg
One of the two actors (these women in this photo were not part of our group but were seated with us, and the photo of the other actor I have has their faces so visible no editing will help them, so I’m respecting their privacy. The next two photos of our my flight (the cocktail flight).

The beer flight had three seasonal beers and I only tried one and it smelled and tasted like a sugar cookie. I didn’t see the mocktail flight except for the frozen hot chocolate being served to the two teens in our experience and it was a nice size. The cocktail flight was a red Sangria (my mom didn’t think about this being she is allergic to red wine and this would probably be our only complaint is they didn’t ask about allergies prior), Mrs claus’ naughty punch which was a tequila drink and an espresso martini. I don’t like red wine myself but the sangria was very good. The naughty punch and martini were EXCELLENT. At the end we exit out into Germany and we’re able to get pictures with the actors! All in all an experience I am grateful someone created and I highly recommend.

After that we walked around a bit. That’s when two things happened. 1) my dad and aunt T did ring toss and won Bartie the elf squishmallow for the little one and b) we needed to get the wheelchair and check on said little one. So my dad and I headed back. It was gorgeous to see some of the decor in the daylight and it had stopped raining.

BEC46ADD-6163-43E6-87C1-3C1FDD3C45F0.jpeg
The train we would go one the next night goes behind this so we sadly didn’t see it lit up! But I loved this! This is taken from the bridge connecting Germany and Festa Italia!

We got our hands stamped to return back into the park and I headed to the kennel. I got little one out into the walking trail and she did her business. But she was not happy with me as when I put her back I fed her and as I was leaving she knocked it over. I had to go back and clean it as they aren’t allowed to touch the food. That’s when I realized the poor corgi underneath her shaking and sad. One of the employees as I was cleaning it up asked if she was a pandemic puppy and I said we got her prior but the pandemic obviously caused us all ti be home and separation anxiety. Turns out a lot of the dogs old and young have that issue now. Annual pass holders who used to bring their dogs are finding it harder to do so. I felt so bad, and upon helping my dad wheel the wheelchair through the park that’s when we decided to leave her at the hotel the next day with the sign on the door stating there was a pet and to not clean.

My dad and I trekked through the other side of the park we didn’t earlier (England, Scotland, Ireland, France and New France aka Canada) and we stopped to see the wolves and some more decor. The rest of the family had gone inside the huge beer hall to eat and my mom waited for my dad and I to come back to eat as we were still feeling raw from fighting the rain. It was here I discovered they had spirit jerseys! Of course not in my size and when we went back the next night we couldn’t get in!

My mom and I got online and got the food. We split roast chicken with potatoes and mixed veggies, some mozzerella sticks and some Mac and cheese. Aka we pigged out. My dad got the German sausage platter and my aunts and grandma were eating their chicken when we sat down.

42D89E93-94E8-4610-8848-FB4977492126.jpeg
The chicken platter (forgive me I started to cut before realizing I hadn’t taken a picture!)

And for those that are used to Biergarten at EPCOT there are two differences: 1) BGW is quick service where you go up and choose your food and then pay and then sit down 2) it. Is. HUGE! I’m talking it can fit 3,000 humans easily. And the stage is in the middle.

Unfortunately, it was here where we decided to do some window shopping and head out as a chunk of people’s shoes and socks were still wet and we just meh. I really wish we hadn’t had fallen asleep. We would’ve missed most of the rain and probably could’ve stayed a bit longer this day and seen some shows. However it turned out to be a good thing we left as when we were heading back my grandmas wheelchair lost a bolt! Thankfully it was towards the front of the park and it wasn’t a long ride. My aunt L and I went to get little one and my mom went to return the scooter.

F8E3056B-8726-4087-801B-CB8329E57E86.jpeg
England on our way out.

However it was early so we headed to the Christmas Mouse-a for hours store that has some fall and non Xmas decor as well. We bought some stuff there and called it a night. We got Dunkin on our way back and got snacks and ice cream from the hotel lobby and called it a night. We all fell asleep watching various things. I recall my aunts were watching the new Amanda Kloots holiday movie and they said it was cute! Turns out they were the ones who stayed up the latest!

Next part coming up soon!

DAY 3: 12/4- Part 1: OUTLETS

Sorry all. I intended to post yesterday, but work had an emergency that threw us all for a loop, and my theatre company is gearing up for an event Saturday, so needless to say I’m all over the ding dang place. Anyhoo let’s continue on shall we.

Today we woke up and meandered over to the breakfast buffet at the hotel. Some of the people from the Hideaway the day before were there and we reminisced. I sadly barely ate as they only served scrambled eggs (I do not like scrambled at all) and two types of sausage today. I didn’t feel like sausage and the oatmeal was instant Quaker Oats so I got some fruit loops and a piece of toast.

After that we headed back to the room, officially made the decision to leave little one here and let the front desk know when we took her out. We then headed out to the outlets!

I’d like to say we shopped til we dropped but between not good of deals and having just gotten things or are getting things for Xmas we didn’t really shop. I will say the outlets have added some nice things including Merrill shoes, Le Crusset, Vera Bradley, build a bear and a nice size auntie Ann’s pretzels.

We packed up the car and headed to the general stores on Richmond road (we started at the one farthest from our hotel and then went to the one next to it).

BC617782-4F5D-40B0-96C7-E48B693C1413.jpeg
This van has been here as long as I can remember!

F7400F9A-CBF0-4E49-99DD-F03A781237A2.jpeg
Even the bear got in the spirit.

We found out that between our trip in 2018 and now, the two general stores entered some form of partnership. They always had a handful of similar items, but now if you can’t find something at one it will probably be at the other, so much so you get 10% on your recipes to use at the other store!

We then headed in to the hotel, took care of little one and left our freshly purchased items and headed out.

I’ll leave it here for today. Sorry again for the delay! Be back soon!

BH5💜

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has been on our bucket list I'm enjoying the trip report. Was wondering if you did any of the rides while you were there? Just want to know how good they run in colder weather.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has been on our bucket list I'm enjoying the trip report. Was wondering if you did any of the rides while you were there? Just want to know how good they run in colder weather.
Hi! We only managed to do the train to see the lights but multiple rides were open for the event. They announce which ones are open on the website about a week before the event starts. Water rides are obviously not running between the temperatures and the lights/houses for howl o scream during fall and water country USA is closed.

I know Griffon, Tempesto, Aloengeist and Loch Ness were not running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter