Dena's **All My Reasons Why**Journal (Please Join Me!)

Dena, You are AMAZING!!!

Yes, you are TRAINING for the 1/2 .....WOO HOO!!!!

Have a great week and keep on keepin on!!!

Hey Dena!!

How's the training going? I love that you're wearing your WISH shirt. Maybe I need to get one (or make one)! :thumbsup2

Hope all is well with you. Check in with us sometime in the middle of the night! :teeth:

Reason #23
23. People are finally looking me in the eyes again.

It is awful, but people seem to completely dismiss you as a person when you are as overweight as I was. I read somewhere that "you are the largest thing in the room, but no one notices you." It is an awful feeling. I've noticed recently that since I've dropped pounds people will talk to me more and will look in my eyes. Before they just kind of avoided me with a pity look. I don't know if any of you can relate to this, I sure hope not. But I definitely noticed it.

But...I joined Weight Watchers yesterday. I was slipping big time when it came to eating. I was eating everything in the house! So I had to do something. I needed more variety than South Beach allows so I decided I'd try Weight Watchers AGAIN. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they have the Core Plan. How awesome! No counting points, no journaling, eating foods very similar to South Beach, plus getting 35 Points per week! Those points are what I needed. Just a little to let me splurge on something "off program" without overdoing it. So far I love it. But hey, it's only been 1 day! HaHaHaHa!

DH and I are working on week 2 of training. I keep getting an awful pain in my right side under my ribs when we exercise. Like a really bad stitch that doesn't go away. I don't know what it is. It sidelined us after only 20 mins of just walking on Tuesday. The Dr. doesn't know what it is either. Very similar to gall bladder symptoms, but since I've already had it removed it can't be that! He has me scheduled for a liver and kidney scan in Sept. I'm scared but I'm gonna keep trying to get out there and move anyways.

Hey Dena! Congrats on joining WW! We all need something to hold us accountable!! I have definitely slipped since I went on maintenance on my plan & only weigh in once a month. :rolleyes:

As far as the pain in the side...definitely keep an eye on that. I also had my gall bladder removed, but when I had the same type of pain about a year ago, they did an endoscopy and found that the sphincter was too tight or something like that & they might have to go in & make a small cut to release it. They put me on meds first and that took care of it. Not saying yours is the same thing...but there can still be other issues there even with no gall bladder. Don't be scared...they'll figure you out!

I love this reason. No, I have never been in that position...but I have seen it happen to people I love and it's HORRIBLE! There are just some mean people out there with very small minds.

Take care, and take it easy when you get the pain!

Thanks for checkin in! :wave:

So I officially started the WW program on Sunday. The first day I went over by 10 points and yesterday I went over by 8. That's a lot considering I only get 24 points per day. But I refuse to let myself starve. Hopefully I'll get better at making food choices that make me feel full longer. So I'm not sweating it. I'm just proud that I'm being more concious of what I'm eating and writing it all down. That is a huge first step for me. :yay:

Adam and I w4/r1 for 3 miles on Sunday. I'm looking forward to our 4 miler this coming weekend. (whispers: It's feeling a bit too easy right now.) Who would ever have thought that 3 miles could be too easy? :confused3 Mentally it was hard doing a 4w/1r interval when we had previously worked up to 3r/2w. But I'm trusting the plan. I'm sure it will get super tough soon enough!

Just checking in with you guys. I'm off to go shopping! :moped:

Hey Dena...I'm so glad you stopped by! It's been quiet around the WISH journals without you, Scott and Amy popping in! :guilty:

GREAT job with the WW and with the training. You guys are SO on your way! I remember trying to make my points stretch when I did WW too. I would eat a bunch of 1 point things, but still ended up hungry. Then my other problem was, the only foods that seemed to fill me were all carbs. So I would eat only carbs all day long. Not good either! :rolleyes:

Keep up the GREAT work! And stop by more often!! I miss ya!

HOLA DENA!!

Just following Kim around today ;)

Congrats on WW and training! Sounds like y'all (y'all LOL we ARE in the south you know) have a great plan...now it just comes down to sticking to it and I know that you CAN!!

Have a great day :)

Hang in there , Dena! You'll adjust to WW soon. It's hard when you start & if you slip(much first hand experience, here!)

Have a great week!!

Hi, Dena! Thank you so much for posting in my journal! I am cross-posting here the answer to the question you posted there asking about ideas for low-point foods.

keenercam said:
Okay, Dena! I am not sure how much I can contribute to your effort, but I will share what works for me when I work the plan (and I'll cross post this in your journal, too!)

My body NEEDS protein for fuel and to stay full for a while, but I am a carbohydrate addict (and I don't use that term loosely).

The following items are lifesavers for me:
laughing cow light cheese wedges -- 1pt for 1; 1.5 pts for 2 -- one goes a long way. It spreads over 2 slices of bread or a bagel and gives plenty of cheese taste. They are also good for spreading on a lot of crackers or dipping pretzels in, because they are soft and creamy.

light bread (any thing that is 2 slices for 1 point). I like wheat. 2 slices of bread with a laughing cow cheese wedge spread over it and especially if you top them with lettuce and tomato or with cucumbers, this is a hearty 2 point meal or snack.

frozen meals -- this can get expensive, but I justify it as being much less than eating out for lunch or dinner. SO many advantages -- controlled points and cook fast and tastes like real food. WW has many out in their truth about carbs line that are between 2-4 points. I always bulk these up by heating up some broccoli or green beans and filling a plate with that and then pouring the cooked meal over the veggies. It is a huge amount of food and I am all about volume!

I am really hooked right now on the lean cusine panini -- I especially like the chicken, spinach&mushroom (5 pts) and southwest chicken (6 pts). I eat these as open face sandwiches since they are really thick if you put the slices together.

LC brick oven style pizzas are also really good and satisfy my pizza cravings easily. I really like the veggie one and the barbecue chicken and I think they are 6-7 points.

Okay, back to snacks --
WW yogurt (1) w/a bit of hi-fiber crunchy cereal (0)
sugar free jello (o)
baby carrots (0-1)
canned cut green beans -- my favorite snack. I put the can in the fridge and then just add some lemon juice or some garlic or pepper and eat it with my fingers.
fat free cottage cheese & lite fruit cocktail -- 2 points and it tastes like dessert
cucumbers -- very crunchy and satisfying. Just cut them up and put in a bowl or plate with some salt and pepper and eat with your fingers.

Another thing I have found is I sometimes need "real food" between meals. I buy the low fat turkey slices (I think they are four round slices for 1 point if they are healthy choice or butterball). I can do that with wasa crisps or light bread for 2 points and feel like I have had a meal.

Glenny's soy crisps -- I think the plain ones and the cool ranch are a whole bag (2 svgs) for 2 points. For some reason, soy really keeps me satisfied for a while. I am sure there is some physiological/scientific reason, but I don't know what it is.

Unsalted mini pretzels are 20 for 2 points and these are a very satisfying snack, especially if you eat them one at a time dipped in mustard.

fat free pringles are 1 point for 14 crisps. The sour cream and onion ones are hard to find around here but very flavorful.

sugar free ice pops -- I think you can eat 3 before you have to count a point. I usually eat one or 2 and don't count them. YUM.

I hope that helps!

I'm with Cam....those LC Panini sandwiches are GOOD!!! My favorite is the steak, mushroom and cheese one. Tastes like a cheesesteak. (I'm not a fan of mushrooms, so I pick them out)

I prefer LC meals over WW meals for some reason. Usually either WW or LC meals are on sale at my grocery store every week. The WW frozen desserts used to be a life saver for me when I did WW, especially the chocolate moose!

I know these meals and snacks can be expensive...but like Cam said, it's still less than you would pay to eat out.

Cam gave a LOT of great tips!! Good luck Dena...check in with us soon and let us know how you're doing! :cheer2:

Just wanted to let you all know we have a new little mouseketeer in the oven!!! party: We are so excited!!! At least I feel better about not being marathon ready. :headache:

I'm due 7-07-07. 777...neat!

But it was funny. I've always said I don't want 2 kids in diapers at the same time. Yesterday was my dd's first day switching from diapers to panties AND we found out we were pregnant. God has such a great sense of humor!!! :lmao:

Hey Dena!! That is GREAT news!! Congrats!! And what a COOL due date! (I have a friend that gave birth on 5/5/05 :teeth: ) So cool!

I've missed ya! Please keep us updated!! Your WISH journal isn't all about running marathons...it's about keeping yourself healthy & happy. We all are not 100% fitness or food healthy!!

And what a big girl your DD is!! Congrats to her too for the big-girl undies!! princess:

Hi Dena! Just thinking of you today and hoping that all is well with you and your family.

Have a WONDERFUL holiday season! :wave2:

I know. I know. It's been quite a while. You've missed me haven't ya? LOL!!! :lmao: I am so excited about marathon weekend for all of you guys. I'm counting down the days. Can't believe you'll all be the proud owners of some super sexy medals in just a few days. I'm trying not to be jealous. But gosh, you'll be LIVING my dream. How exciting!!!

My pregnancy is going great. DD is keeping me so busy I don't have time to even think about it. I just finished my first trimester so thankfully I'm starting to get some energy back. Can you believe that I'm already 1/3 of the way there? Wow. My due date was confirmed to be on the 4th of July. So this kid's sure to be a little firecracker. We are having the toughest time picking out names. Nothing is jumping out at us. We're open to suggestions if anyone has any.

That's about it. Can't wait to read all the marathon reports and see the pics. I'm so proud of you guys. And if you get to feeling down out on the course just remember that you are living someone else's dream.

Happy, Healthy New Year, Dena! Glad that first trimester is over. You'll be holding a wonderful new gift soon!

Hey Dena! I'm so glad you stopped by! I have definitely missed ya! :goodvibes I'm so glad your pregnancy is going well and that the time is going quickly for you. Take care and keep us posted!! :thumbsup2

Reason #24
I HAVE to do the Disney Half Marathon.

I never realized just how much I wanted to do the half marathon until this past weekend. I could not sleep knowing that I was missing MY race. That MY team was down at Disney without me. I didn't think I would miss it so much, but at 3AM I had a complete breakdown. I woke DH up and asked if he would go walking with me. It was 3AM mind you, but I knew that night was a critical point for me. I was either going to get back out there or I was going to give up on the dream forever. It was toughest mile I've completed yet. I was sobbing most of the time- half in celebration of my teammates who would be earning their medals the next day and half because I wouldn't be. I felt like a nut, but it really showed me just how much I want this. This dream is a part of me. I HAVE to do the Disney Half Marathon.

So here's an honest evaluation of my current situation. I've gone back over the 200lb mark. Yikes! But I'm trying to be okay with it since I don't want to diet during my pregnancy. I'm a firm believer in following cravings during pregnancy. I'd hate to deny the baby something they need more of to grow. Like donuts! Hahaha!

I started walking again on Friday, January 5 and have done it every night since. We're only going a mile as I'm having to retrain my now flabby calves and aching lungs. I realized that I'm going to have to take training easier this time around since my body is going to go through a lot in the next few months. And I'm going to have more fun during training this time around. No more stressing over the technical stuff. After all, I just want to get out there, have fun, and finish!

Hey Dena! I'm so proud of you for putting yourself out there. That's hard to do! I know what you mean about the WDW 1/2. I want that so bad too, I'm just hoping and praying that financially I can go in 2008. But enough about me...

I'm so glad you're out there & moving. No matter what your weight (I also wouldn't diet while pregnant...it's the only time you get to eat what you want with no guilt!). The walking will be good for you, DH and the baby, and might even help with the delivery! :thumbsup2 That's always a plus, huh? :rotfl:

Take care, and definitely keep in touch. I love that you've started up the reasons again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter