Delta Frequent Fliers... Skymiles going to dollars only instead of dollars + segments

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymile..._CPIN_CL_230911_AA901495_A01D_P0_BTN_18535274

Not sure how I feel. I currently have 55 segments for this year, with ~15 planned, so I should hit Gold for 2024.

BUT, comparing it to 2025 qualification, I'm sitting on about $10k in spending, with (guessing) another $2500-$3k before the end of the year, so hopefully retain Gold in 2025. I might start booking hotel/rental car through Delta to help increase that spend (depends on how much more it costs to do the booking through them vs directly)

What do you think? How should an airline measure loyalty (obviously they can do what they want)? Miles? Segments? Dollars? Other?

I just wrote them a disappointing text because I would if I take one or two trips per year spend 50 to 55 K to just retain silver Medillion never mind Gold which is what I have now. I will be moving off of delta reserve if this happens and look for another favorable card. One MOD for 10 dollars spending when it’s 1 for 1 now.

I'm pretty disappointed, since it makes the weakest airline alliance even weaker and discourages people from taking cheaper, less crowded flights. But if it means that the airline can continue focusing on offering a better product and standing out as the premium US carrier, I like having that extra option.

I will 100% be cancelling my Amex Platinum next year. The benefits were borderline anyway, and for 6 lounge visits a year, I'm better off using that fee to just eat at airport restaurants.

I just wrote them a disappointing text because I would if I take one or two trips per year spend 50 to 55 K to just retain silver Medillion never mind Gold which is what I have now. I will be moving off of delta reserve if this happens and look for another favorable card. One MOD for 10 dollars spending when it’s 1 for 1 now.
I'm confused. You take 1-2 trips a year and spend $50-55k?

I'm only Silver, but have benefitted by getting ~60% of my flights upgraded from main cabin to C+, and a couple even went to FC (short flights unfortunately).

I just have the basic AmEx, so $95/year, and that gets us free checked luggage. One trip with two bags makes that worth it. I haven't even been in a Delta lounge yet. I see lines for them ALL the time. I don't understand why people would wait in line for a lounge though. And I'm talking lines 12-20 deep.

If you get status through flying, it's not that bad. If you get status through credit cards, it's pretty bad. I've already determined I'll be downgrading my Delta Platinum, not sure if I'm going down to Gold or all the way to Blue. One of two reasons I upgraded the card was the lounge access that they took away. Both organizations that pay for my flying are carrier agnostic so I won't fly enough on any one airline to get anything. Should really thin out the herd of elites in 2025. Silver and Gold may get some upgrades again.

Delta Reserve doesn't earn any MQDs now. You get a waiver if you spend $25k that waives spend requirement for up to Platinum and at $250k you get a waiver for Diamond.

BUT, comparing it to 2025 qualification, I'm sitting on about $10k in spending, with (guessing) another $2500-$3k before the end of the year, so hopefully retain Gold in 2025. I might start booking hotel/rental car through Delta to help increase that spend (depends on how much more it costs to do the booking through them vs directly)

What do you think? How should an airline measure loyalty (obviously they can do what they want)? Miles? Segments? Dollars? Other?
Remember that any hotel rental car spend you do through Delta means you don't get loyalty benefits from that provider. No skipping the counter or choosing your car on a rental, no upgrades at hotels or free breakfasts. I won't do it.

I like AAs scheme, you get one loyalty point for every mile earned in the program. The shopping portal and credit card can really add up. Flying only takes $8,000 to earn AA status.

Remember that any hotel rental car spend you do through Delta means you don't get loyalty benefits from that provider. No skipping the counter or choosing your car on a rental, no upgrades at hotels or free breakfasts. I won't do it.
Thanks, yea, that won't work for me then.
I like AAs scheme, you get one loyalty point for every mile earned in the program. The shopping portal and credit card can really add up. Flying only takes $8,000 to earn AA status.
But don't the miles expire in a year?

I'm confused. You take 1-2 trips a year and spend $50-55k?

I'm only Silver, but have benefitted by getting ~60% of my flights upgraded from main cabin to C+, and a couple even went to FC (short flights unfortunately).

I just have the basic AmEx, so $95/year, and that gets us free checked luggage. One trip with two bags makes that worth it. I haven't even been in a Delta lounge yet. I see lines for them ALL the time. I don't understand why people would wait in line for a lounge though. And I'm talking lines 12-20
It’s pretty easy, I charge everything on CC and pay it off in full monthly. That includes other vacations that I dont need to use a plane. I don’t use the card for elite status but I do get first class seating every year, access to sky club, free baggage 2 per person, priority seating assignments, plus other benefits. The most important benefit to me is first class seating so I don't need elite status which I’m gold. I liked getting the extra MOD for the spending so I can now use other cards to get other benefits. I do have lots of miles that don’t expire so that good. Yes I pay a hefty fee for the card but it’s not as much it would have cost me to fly first class. That what I am looking at. Once the fee becomes higher than flying first class I can downgrade the card. I hope I have explained your confusion

I'm pretty disappointed, since it makes the weakest airline alliance even weaker and discourages people from taking cheaper, less crowded flights. But if it means that the airline can continue focusing on offering a better product and standing out as the premium US carrier, I like having that extra option.

I will 100% be cancelling my Amex Platinum next year. The benefits were borderline anyway, and for 6 lounge visits a year, I'm better off using that fee to just eat at airport restaurants.
You still get unlimited lounge visits if you spend over $75k on the Amex Platinum, plus two guests for the Centurion Lounges. Hopefully this will help make both less overcrowded, which is definitely one of their goals.

It’s pretty easy, I charge everything on CC and pay it off in full monthly. That includes other vacations that I dont need to use a plane. I don’t use the card for elite status but I do get first class seating every year, access to sky club, free baggage 2 per person, priority seating assignments, plus other benefits. The most important benefit to me is first class seating so I don't need elite status which I’m gold. I liked getting the extra MOD for the spending so I can now use other cards to get other benefits. I do have lots of miles that don’t expire so that good. Yes I pay a hefty fee for the card but it’s not as much it would have cost me to fly first class. That what I am looking at. Once the fee becomes higher than flying first class I can downgrade the card. I hope I have explained your confusion
Thanks, I appreciate it. I try NOT to use CC (mine) unless I absolutely have to. I'm terrible about "double spending" money.

That hefty yearly fee is what keeps me away.

Generally, when any airlines tries to brag about their new/improved/simpler frequent flyer program...............it is corporate-speak meaning they have cut back on the perks and/or it will take more miles to buy the same ticket then in the past..................LOL.

1694739813567.png

I got rid of my Platinum a couple years back and switched to United Club.

I use my United card for everything and pay it off every month. I get two bags free per person, and lounge access. I also have the Marriott card and due to my current Marriott status I have Silver Premier for United for the next year as well.

Most of the time, DH and I fly free with miles which more than pay for the yearly fee since they don't expire. Miles redemption amounts are fluid, but when I recently looked up a last minute flight, one months spend could be about a $300 plane ticket. We fly a lot, so we don't save our miles for optimum ticket price or first class and just use them as we need them.

I got rid of my Platinum a couple years back and switched to United Club.

I use my United card for everything and pay it off every month. I get two bags free per person, and lounge access. I also have the Marriott card and due to my current Marriott status I have Silver Premier for United for the next year as well.

Most of the time, DH and I fly free with miles which more than pay for the yearly fee since they don't expire. Miles redemption amounts are fluid, but when I recently looked up a last minute flight, one months spend could be about a $300 plane ticket. We fly a lot, so we don't save our miles for optimum ticket price or first class and just use them as we need them.
It's been worth it since I frequently fly from Detroit or Atlanta, but only for unlimited visits.

United changed to something similar a while ago - it's nearly impossible now to figure out what miles you're going to earn on a flight, since there's added formulas that factor in not only the cost of the flight, but the fare class you booked.

There were a lot of people on the internet complaining about how many Medallion members there were at Platinum or above because of the covid roll over years. There were so many that the benefits were diluted.

There were also a lot of people on the internet complaining about how crowded the SkyClubs were. It is assumed because you can just buy your way in with an unbranded Platinum American Express card. The annual fee can be easily offset for many with the benefits provided by the card.

Now a lot of those people who were complaining are now complaining that they did not mean for the changes they had been advocating for to affect them.

In my case my wife has been Silver Medallion for four years. Many laugh at silver as being pointless and they are probably correct as far as upgrades are concerned for flyers out of Atlanta. There is almost zero chance a Silver Medallion gets upgraded flying out of Atlanta. But the other benefits have turned out to be useful. Namely sky priority check-in and being able to pick exit row seats for free. There have been times where we arrived at the Atlanta airport to find a 30 minute skycap line or a 45 minute line inside to check bags. But the skypriority skycap line was 0 minutes. If you pick the right exit row seat you get much more legroom than first class. Domestic first class airline food is not great and we don't drink when flying so firstclass would not offer us anything over exit row seats.

We were only able to maintain silver by credit card spend with a co branded American Express card.

The new credit card spend requirements will prevent us from maintaining silver for my wife in 2025. We just don't have a way to spend $120,000 in 2024 to meet the spend requirements. Under the old system we could maintain status with our level of flying and $25,000 in yearly spend.

As a result we will more than likely downgrade or change the Delta Skymiles Platinum card we currently have to something else in 2024. I'm not in a huge rush to make the change as I think Delta may see a large enough drop in co-branded credit card holders to tweak the just announced policies. The co-branded Amex card relationship makes Delta all their profit. Without that relationship instead of reporting a profit, the airline would be operating at a loss.

The lounge changes probably won't affect us. We fly on average 2-3 round trips a year so the 6 visits should be just enough. For that very reason I don't think the lounge changes will make much of a positive impact on crowding. But I don't have access to the data. Maybe the lounges are full of people who fly 30-40 segments a year and will now not be in the lounge.

It is clear based on what dollar levels Delta set for MQD that Delta wants to focus on the true high spenders. Since Delta recently admitted that business travelers have still not returned from covid I am not sure who or how many big spenders they are expecting.

United changed to something similar a while ago - it's nearly impossible now to figure out what miles you're going to earn on a flight, since there's added formulas that factor in not only the cost of the flight, but the fare class you booked.
That sounds like the system Delta just got rid off.

Starting in 2025 Delta status is solely based on dollars spent with Delta or dollars spent on a co-branded credit card.

My corporate office and home town were in smallish towns that required 2 and 3 legs each way so I made Medallion for years. A few years I realized I'd never re-qualify for Medallion again with some of the previous rule changes so I gave up even trying.

Now we drive everywhere we can when time permits and fly only when we have to with air travel like it is. I'm trading in my Delta Skymiles for something else next year because the price has risen so much the Companion certificate isn't much of a perk any more.

I haven't even been in a Delta lounge yet. I see lines for them ALL the time. I don't understand why people would wait in line for a lounge though. And I'm talking lines 12-20 deep.
Even at 12-20 it is probably less than a 5 minute wait, at least in Atlanta that is true.

The lounges, when not crowded, have good to great food. They have comfortable seating and can have great views of the airport.

We tend to arrive at the airport earlier than needed because we get too nervous if cutting it too close for our comfort. The lounge gives us a comfortable and quiet place to hangout for that extra hour we are at the airport.

I think drinking is very much a part of flying culture and lounge access lets people drink for free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter