Delta Frequent Fliers... Skymiles going to dollars only instead of dollars + segments

I am not sure who or how many big spenders they are expecting.
The pandemic seems to have shifted who is buying the business class. Prior you would largely expect business travelers. These days more and more "regulars" are purchasing it. It's also a reason why airlines are starting to remove their first class and instead focusing on business class because that seems to be the direction of what consumers are more looking for. I think that is part of the reason for complaints. Business travelers who spent that high of dollars to get those seats started finding their once quiet and largely uncrowded lounges now filled with a different situation.

We have Priority Pass via my husband's CC which allows one guest but they can and will shut off access to lounges in favor of Business class ticket holders. It's their way (to our disadvantage) of trying to preserve access for them.

In a way though I put a large part of this switch on the airlines over the years not just during the pandemic. With the introduction of unbundled fare classes, the state of flying, issues with luggage being lost, seats becoming narrower with less pitch, the behaviors of the people and more travelers started looking for ways to push up into different fare classes just to help out on the flying experience and lounge access also comes along with that with trying some respite from the airport chaos.

Our new terminal at KCI just got its first lounge and it's Delta. However, Delta's market share is less than half of the leading one which is SWA. So that in itself will help with any crowding. Supposedly it allows for close to 200 people at once.

Honestly, the system of what you need in what categories was very confusing to me before. Does anyone want to take a stab of explaining in a ‘Delta for Dummies format’ what the new system is?

I do know the 15% discount for Amex holders when redeeming miles has been a plus for us. Is that still the case?

Honestly, the system of what you need in what categories was very confusing to me before. Does anyone want to take a stab of explaining in a ‘Delta for Dummies format’ what the new system is?

I do know the 15% discount for Amex holders when redeeming miles has been a plus for us. Is that still the case?
Status is now, well in 2024 towards 2025 status, earned solely through spend with Delta or spend on a co-branded Delta credit card.

• SkyMiles Silver Medallion status will require 6,000 MQDs (compared to 3,000 MQDs currently)
  • SkyMiles Gold Medallion status will require 12,000 MQDs (compared to 8,000 MQDs currently)
  • SkyMiles Platinum Medallion status will require 18,000 MQDs (compared to 12,000 MQDs currently)
  • SkyMiles Diamond Medallion status will require 35,000 MQDs (compared to 20,000 MQDs currently)
The Delta Reserve Card earns MQD at a 10:1 ratio. The Delta Platinum Card earns MQD at a 20:1 ratio.

So status could be earned solely through credit card spend or a combination of spend with Delta and credit card spend. If you have a Delta Platinum Card like I do, you can earn silver with just $120,000 in annual spend or go for Diamond with just $700,000 in annual spend.

The only complicated parts are the conversion of what would have been rollover MQM from 2024 to 2025. You will have to choose if you want those converted to MQD at 20:1 or Skymiles at 2:1. And if you are flying a partner airline. There is still some complexity in calculating the MQD earned.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/delta-skymiles-sky-club-changes/

Can Delta Vacations book room only at Disney Resorts? They can book Swan/Dolphin, neighboring hotels (around Disney Springs), and the Four Seasons. What about all the Disney Resorts though?

I’m thinking the Delta Vacation bookings are going to increase. The flight MQD are split amongst travelers, but the hotel fees and car go to the booking individual. One trip a year and you likely have gold status before CC spend, etc.

Can Delta Vacations book room only at Disney Resorts? They can book Swan/Dolphin, neighboring hotels (around Disney Springs), and the Four Seasons. What about all the Disney Resorts though?

I’m thinking the Delta Vacation bookings are going to increase. The flight MQD are split amongst travelers, but the hotel fees and car go to the booking individual. One trip a year and you likely have gold status before CC spend, etc.
There have been multiple revisions to the program since this was announced in September. One of those changes is that there is no more MQD for hotels, it needs to be a combination of at least two things. It's been a few years since Delta Vacations booked into Disney Resorts. Enjoy it this year, once this gets out it will be fixed next year.

I made Gold for 2024. I ended up missing Platinum by 10 flight segments. Going by what I did last year, I should end up Platinum for 2025. And that's just spending on Delta.

I still don't understand the furor about this change. First, I do feel that there are too many higher-tier Delta passengers. That means status is too easy to attain. This may be a way to limit that.

Second, I do agree you shouldn't be able to attain status without flying (by just doing CC spend), if people are attaining status by not flying, they're not flying, so it doesn't affect me. :D

I am slightly miffed that the 2023 qualifiers had 30 segments for Silver, 60 segments for Gold, and then you would think 90 segments for Platinum. Nope, you need 100. Of course, I finished with 90. :P But, their program, their rules.

There have been multiple revisions to the program since this was announced in September. One of those changes is that there is no more MQD for hotels, it needs to be a combination of at least two things. It's been a few years since Delta Vacations booked into Disney Resorts. Enjoy it this year, once this gets out it will be fixed next year.
you’re right. no way they keep the hotel/car only (without flights) for MQDs at 1:1.

Here’s a question for you guys. Why try to make Platinum? Gold get’s free bag check and priority boarding. No one ever gets upgraded to first except diamond (sometimes). I mean really, why do we care?

Here’s a question for you guys. Why try to make Platinum? Gold get’s free bag check and priority boarding. No one ever gets upgraded to first except diamond (sometimes). I mean really, why do we care?
I've been upgraded to first as Silver and Gold this year. Since I made Gold, about 50-60% of my flights have gotten upgrades. I would hope Platinum moves me up the upgrade list.

I'm not going out of my way for status (I'm not doing any CC spending), but I'll take advantage of anything a level gets me.

I've been upgraded to first as Silver and Gold this year. Since I made Gold, about 50-60% of my flights have gotten upgrades. I would hope Platinum moves me up the upgrade list.

I'm not going out of my way for status (I'm not doing any CC spending), but I'll take advantage of anything a level gets me.
hum. take direct flights out of atlanta and the hit rate is about 0.0

I’ve been at least Gold for several years. Uogrades are few and far between. Partly that’s due to the routes I fly (like ATL, the DTW hit rate is low.)

Part of the reason I don't think it is worth chasing which airline has the 'best' program. If you fly a LOT with one airline or spend enough annually with their credit card you likely get enough points for a free upgrade or ticket. Once an airline has too many people who qualify, they simply raise the threshold for what you can buy with those points.

I had decided to no longer chase status on Delta with the changes. Partly that’s because I no longer fly as much for work, and with the increased thresholds it would be harder to keep Gold. (Silver doesn’t add much if you already have one of Delta’s cards; even the lowest tier includes a free bag plus Group 1 boarding.) The only way I’d make it is to put all of my annual spending on my Delta Amex card, and my other cards have better rewards structures.

But then they announced that Million Milers would be lifetime Gold instead of Silver, and I am very close to that. So…

hum. take direct flights out of atlanta and the hit rate is about 0.0
With all due respect, 99% of my trips go through either Atlanta or Detroit. And yes, I have gotten upgrades on those. But I've also been on flights where I'm #22 out of 50 on the upgrade list.

But, IMO, you (general) can't complain because too many people have too high of status, and then complain when Delta changes how they determine status.

I downgraded my Delta Reserve Amex to the Delta Gold Amex because the ratio of earning status on them was not as lucrative. I am happy with my Delta Gold with the double miles for groceries!

I have the Platinum Amex so there was too much overlap between the benefits and I'd rather save that annual fee now that it get me anything better than silver. Earning the Amex points on my platinum makes them more flexible for use at hotels or to transfer to Delta for flights.

I don't travel for work the way I used to pre-pandemic and while I'm a Platinum now because of rollover MQMs, I expect to lose status very quickly. I'll just pay for what type of seat I want. I live in Atlanta anyway so getting upgrades is hard for any flight that makes it work having an upgrade. If I want to fly first, I just buy first now anyway.

I won't stop flying Delta but I am done with the status chasing game.

yes, I have gotten upgrades on those.
Bless, but I am definitely not getting upgrades to 1st on my DTW origin/destinations except once in a blue moon and on short hops that don't matter. The upgrade back from Syracuse was nice, but not exactly life changing and definitely not worth chasing status for.

I often don't bother with upgrades to C+. I don't drink, the snacks don't matter, and the extra legroom is not that much better than regular coach. Plus, the overhead bin fight in C+ is more of a pain than just walking halfway back the plane where there is plenty of space for those in Group 1. Score an exit row, and there's no meaningful advantage of C+ aside from deplaning a few minutes earlier.

Once I hit 1MM, I'll be happy to take the Gold status, but I would no longer go out of my way to qualify for it. As always, YMMV.

If I want to fly first, I just buy first now anyway.
I am starting to do that too.

Delta Reserve Amex to the Delta Gold Amex
I still have the Delta Plat--I can usually get value out of the companion ticket, though it's been tough to use this year. But in years when I can use it, the value is usually 1.5-2x the annual fee. I originally had it for the MQM boost, and won't use it that way anymore, but it might still be worth keeping for the companion fare. We will see but I'm definitely thinking of downgrading to Gold.

I still have the Delta Plat--I can usually get value out of the companion ticket, though it's been tough to use this year. But in years when I can use it, the value is usually 1.5-2x the annual fee. I originally had it for the MQM boost, and won't use it that way anymore, but it might still be worth keeping for the companion fare. We will see but I'm definitely thinking of downgrading to Gold.
I thought about that, but I've rarely been able to use that. I usually use them on my married friends. I'm single and a lot of my friends live places other than ATL so I'm often meeting them places. I downgraded before my renewal year was up so I got $100 credit to use this year for hitting the Gold spending threshold.

No you can't. I looked it up before and none of the Disney Resorts were available. The closest are the ones you mentioned and I think Waldorf too. Some of the Universal resorts are available though. However, you still can't book just hotel only, it has to be hotel + car/transfer at the minimum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter