December Holidays -Book Flight ASAP?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
This December will be the first time travelling over the December holiday season. For us, it's a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, but thought I'd post here as it's a Canadian board and flying Toronto to popular Florida. Air Canada has released (and third party sights seems to have departure flight...need to wait about a week for return). Of course, other airlines such as West Jet won't release flights for a bit. Our cruise is actually Dec 31 so ideally we would fly in the 30th, but can fly in a day or so earlier if needed too. We only have one option on return, which is the Sunday before school starts.
  1. I assume that this time of year, it's best to book right away as soon as flights are released?
  2. Would Dec 30th be a bit lower since most wouldn't want to be away for New Years Eve?
Thanks.

I am watching those dates as well! Air Canada seems quite high for this far out! I am waiting for Westjet as I have a companion flight I can use. I usually book early.. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I agree.. Air Canada is very pricey, but not surprised. That's good that you have savings if you use WestJet. They'll release in another month or so? Unfortunately, I expect all the main airlines to be pricey (and we aren't comfortable booking the cheaper ones like Sprint or Air Transat when our trip is so date sensitive). Thanks. Good luck to you too.

I usually book as soon as I have my dates. With that being said, last year the school calendar threw me for a loop. I was expecting kids to be off the last two weeks of Dec, not the last week of Dec plus first week of Jan. So this year I’m waiting on school calendars to come out. Then I’m hitting go on flights. Anything around $300-$400 pp direct, I’d be willing to take on AC or WJ.

Thanks for the reply. I agree.. Air Canada is very pricey, but not surprised. That's good that you have savings if you use WestJet. They'll release in another month or so? Unfortunately, I expect all the main airlines to be pricey (and we aren't comfortable booking the cheaper ones like Sprint or Air Transat when our trip is so date sensitive). Thanks. Good luck to you too.
I am hoping WJ releases in the next week! Based on past years.

I usually book as soon as I have my dates. With that being said, last year the school calendar threw me for a loop. I was expecting kids to be off the last two weeks of Dec, not the last week of Dec plus first week of Jan. So this year I’m waiting on school calendars to come out. Then I’m hitting go on flights. Anything around $300-$400 pp direct, I’d be willing to take on AC or WJ.
I know...they changed the dates. We originally had a travel booked with our kids the first week that they were supposed to be off. Then they shifted the dates a week. It was a backup trip anyways and hadn't booked flights yet. But definitely an issue for some. Do you know when the school boards lock in their dates?

I'd be very happy with 300-400. Air Canada is showing $634.

Over the years I have always purchased our Christmas Vacation plane tickets as soon as they were available. Under $500 would be a good deal

Over the years I have always purchased our Christmas Vacation plane tickets as soon as they were available. Under $500 would be a good deal
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The problem is, airlines release at different times (e.g. Air Canada is out, WestJet is not out yet and will stall for a bit. Do you wait for a specific airline? Or you book the first one that releases? Would love to see $500 but AC is at $634 now. We need to wait for a couple days too for our return date to show (on third party sites...it's there if booking directly)

I know...they changed the dates. We originally had a travel booked with our kids the first week that they were supposed to be off. Then they shifted the dates a week. It was a backup trip anyways and hadn't booked flights yet. But definitely an issue for some. Do you know when the school boards lock in their dates?

I'd be very happy with 300-400. Air Canada is showing $634.
Not sure when the calendar will be out yet. My school sends me an email with the calendar when it’s available so I’m waiting for that. But I may email them and ask… I usually book my hotel at 11 months out and then hold off on the flight, just in case.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The problem is, airlines release at different times (e.g. Air Canada is out, WestJet is not out yet and will stall for a bit. Do you wait for a specific airline? Or you book the first one that releases? Would love to see $500 but AC is at $634 now. We need to wait for a couple days too for our return date to show (on third party sites...it's there if booking directly)
I went for lowest price but cringed when I flew with AC Rouge. So little legroom. Now we mostly fly WestJet because of the companion flight and free luggage with their CC

Air Canada is showing round trip Toronto to MCO for around 1200.00 return , I do not think WJ will be much cheaper.

I am watching those dates as well! Air Canada seems quite high for this far out! I am waiting for Westjet as I have a companion flight I can use. I usually book early.. Good luck!
@grantclaire I assume you noticed that WestJet is now released over holiday time?
We ended up booking them. Hope you get a good deal.

Thanks, not many good deals. Still looking at dates.
Yeah. We found a decent fight that was cheaper than AC, but still much more than we'd normally pay. That's good if you have flexibility with your dates. Hope you find something that works.

What cruise line are you sailing with? Sometimes you can get a cheaper price by booking your flights through the cruise line.

What cruise line are you sailing with? Sometimes you can get a cheaper price by booking your flights through the cruise line.
Thanks. Yes we actually booked Air2Sea through Royal Caribbean. Not sure it was much cheaper, but it's refundable until final payment which is the main reason for going with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter