DDP / DDE How To Decide?

Do you use the DDP as a DVC member

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

PrincessASquared

Brilliance is in simplicity
My family and I (3) will be at Disney in Feb/Mar for eight nights:banana: We have recently become DVC members and this will be one of our first trips to our new home (SSR):rotfl: We have used the DDP before and were satisfied with it. Now that we are DVC members, is it still beneficial for us to get it or should we look to the DDE or other dining options? We enjoy at least one table service meal /day. I am close to pulling the trigger and getting it, but I just want to be sure its the way to go. Thanks for your input.

We have the DDE card and feel it's a better choice. Reason is we don't always eat in the parks for Lunch. Most of the time we'll head out on SR-192 for a quick bite to eat and then go swimming or something. With that in mind, we then can eat on property and save using our DDE. For us, it's a better value. Now with them charging more for less, the DDE seems to be the better way to go.

My family and I (3) will be at Disney in Feb/Mar for eight nights:banana: We have recently become DVC members and this will be one of our first trips to our new home (SSR):rotfl: We have used the DDP before and were satisfied with it. Now that we are DVC members, is it still beneficial for us to get it or should we look to the DDE or other dining options? We enjoy at least one table service meal /day. I am close to pulling the trigger and getting it, but I just want to be sure its the way to go. Thanks for your input.

Don't forget that the 2008 DDP will not include appetizer or tip for the TS meal. It may not be as cost effective for you as in 2007.

Also don't forget that you can't get the DDE card as a DVC member - you can get an Annual Pass at a discount, and as an Annual Passholder you can get the DDE card...

Don't forget that the 2008 DDP will not include appetizer or tip for the TS meal. It may not be as cost effective for you as in 2007.
Yeah...I was gonna say! You might want to edit your poll to ask 1) have you formerly used DDP; formerly used DDE; plan to use DDP after 1/1/08; and plan to use DDE after 1/1/08.

You might also want to make the poll multiple choice if this is not, because that will allow people to answer yes to all questions. The questions are not mutually exclusive -- we've used DDP and DDE together, including using both at the same meal.

We are DDE fans. Part of the reason is because we don't have kids, and we tend to partake in our fair share of adult beverages. Since booze is covered by the DDE, including the hotel lounges, in works nicely for us.

Now, you should also look at doing both...
In some situations the DDE will more than pay for itself even after using the DDP. Booze is one good example. If you are wine or champagne drinkers the DDE discount will apply where the DDP does not.
Side note: The DDE is also good at all VB restaurants, if you should be planning to visit.

Of course, doconeill has a good point. If you don't have any intention of getting an AP, than the decision is made for you. :smokin:

MG

Skinny person who wants to gain weight= DDP
Fat person who wants to gain weight=DDP
All others=DDE :rotfl2:

I have an AP and DW will be buying one soon and getting the DDE! We have never had it before, but we rarely eat lunch at WDW, will eat breakfast in our room, and love Epcot restaurants and all that goes with them. We think it should save us some $$. Can we order the DDE card from MS when DW buys her AP?

DDE is our preference for two reasons:

1. We don't eat enough to get real value out of DDP.

2. We live in Orlando and visit WDW for day visits, concerts and the like.

We choose the DDE card for the convenience of it. It just seems much easier than keeping track of our credits and trying to figure out the best way to maximize them. And after standing in line behind people arguing with CM's about what is/what is not included on the DDP, it just seems like a hassle that we'd rather not deal with.

Add that to the fact that we rarely eat counter service meals, since we prefer to eat a sit-down breakfast and a sit-down dinner and usually skip lunch all together, and the DDE just makes a lot more sense for us.

I have used both DDP and DDE. I plan to purchase another DDE card when I buy APs for our December trip. Last January DD23 and I had the DDP for 5 days. We used 2TS for Hoop De Doo and also ate at Le Cellier, Prime Time 50, and Teppanyaki. We also used the DDE for our lower priced character breakfasts at Donald Breakfastosaurus and 'Ohana.

DH and I use the DDP especially if we are there for shorter stays. We had terrific meals at Le Cellier and Wolfgang Puck's Cafe during our July visit. We only had the dining plan for 2 nights, because we stayed off property to conserve points on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We will also have it for our F & W stay at the end of September.

With all that said, I am not so sure I will be purchasing the new version of the DDP. We might be more interested in the Deluxe version, especially to try out more signature restaurants, but I am undecided. For longer stays I will stick to the DDE.

I haven't used either as i said above. The question is, do you have to purchase DDE when purchasing your AP? I just renewed mine, but DW is purchasing one for our next trip. Can I buy it now, or do we need to wait until she buys hers? Do we buy it through member services?

Thanks!

I haven't used either as i said above. The question is, do you have to purchase DDE when purchasing your AP? I just renewed mine, but DW is purchasing one for our next trip. Can I buy it now, or do we need to wait until she buys hers? Do we buy it through member services?

Thanks!

There is no requirement to purchase it at the same time - it is an independent item, you just need to have an AP (or even a voucher for an AP) or be a FL resident.

You get it either in person at Epcot Guest Relations (which requires park admission), or by calling (407) 566-5858, or by mail (don't have the address). If getting it in advance, get it as close to the first trip you will use it for as possible. The DDE card is good for a year (plus a little extra if you order it at a certain point in the month - forget when) from the time you order it - it is not tied at all to your AP expiration.

I used my AP voucher to get the DDE card by phone a couple weeks before my trip. This means you could conceivably get the DDE card without ever activating your AP - although I'm sure you can only do it once in that case - can't keep a voucher forever just to keep getting DDE cards I'm sure... :)

We have used the DDP in the past, but for 2008, we probably wont use it because of the loss of the prepaid tip.

DDP is just way too much eating...an appetizer and dessert for each person?? How can anyone eat like that, vacation or not??? DDE was for us last trip, and we're happy to do it again!!!:love:

I've read about the DDE in the past. Is it a flat 20% off the total bill (not including the tip)? Can you use it at any WDW restaurant or just certain ones?

We've used the DDP on two previous visits and plan on using it for our Dec 2007 visit but I might change that. It IS ALOT of food.

And is it really true that starting in 2008 they are taking the appetizer and tip off the plan?! :scared1: Will they be charging less for that or keep it at the same price?

I did some calculations based on our next 5 night stay (2 adults and 2 kids under 3) eating at Le Cellier 2 times, Chef Mickeys dinner, Crystal palace dinner, spoodles dinner and assumed we'd use DDE twice over the course of the annual pass ( e.g. about $33 per vacation). The DDP with tips would have been about 440 for 2 adults and it would have been 400 for the sit down meals with DDE(no alcohol). So considering we'd spend more than 40 on lunches and snacks we're going to go with DDP even though I originally thought DDE would be the better deal.

I've read about the DDE in the past. Is it a flat 20% off the total bill (not including the tip)? Can you use it at any WDW restaurant or just certain ones?

We've used the DDP on two previous visits and plan on using it for our Dec 2007 visit but I might change that. It IS ALOT of food.

And is it really true that starting in 2008 they are taking the appetizer and tip off the plan?! :scared1: Will they be charging less for that or keep it at the same price?

DDE is 20% off food and drinks, including alcohol. Only at participating locations, which are almost all TS locations on property, and only a handful of CS locations. Major holidays are excluded, as are some dining packages (Candlelight Processional, etc.).

Don't know much about the changes in DDP, but I believe it is staying the same price for no appy and tip, but I also understand they are adding new levels of DDP as well, like a deluxe plan that gets you more TS credits...

We use DDE as well. We love the flexibility of the card. We don't feel like we have to use all our credits, etc. We can eat at our own pace and still get a discount.

The DDE does come with a few perks as well. Free valet parking at the resort you are dining at (although I got free valet parking during our 4 night stay at the Poly with our DDE card). From time to time Disney will have culinary events seperate from Food and Wine that only DDE cardholders are invited. Less we forget 20% off the alcohol as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter