Dawning realisation we just can't afford it! - Oh wait we can just!!!!!!!!!

I think today I have definitely come to the conclusion we won't be going this year and to be honest it's mainly down to flights! Having paid £350 each in 2010 we're now looking at nearly double that this year as all flights from Glasgow seem to be around the £600 :sad2:

I really shouldn't complain as in the last few years we've done LA/Mexico/Vegas (2008), Orlando (2010), New York and a Caribbean cruise (2011) and we didn't go on holiday in 2012 in the hope of going to Florida this year. Suppose the saying is true that you can't miss what you haven't got - if we hadn't done all these places in the first place then none of us would be that bothered!

PS. If anyone (Wayne) would like to find some glitch flight prices then it would be greatly appreciated! :lmao:

scottishgirl87 said:
PS. If anyone (Wayne) would like to find some glitch flight prices then it would be greatly appreciated! :lmao:

Haha I live in hope also! Wish I had had the money before Xmas for the delta flights!

Haha I live in hope also! Wish I had had the money before Xmas for the delta flights!

They didn't cover our dates otherwise I would have been tempted! Although from Glasgow I'm sure it's a 2 stops flight with them which I'm not overly keen on due to the fact it's 24+ hours travelling in total.

scottishgirl87 said:
They didn't cover our dates otherwise I would have been tempted! Although from Glasgow I'm sure it's a 2 stops flight with them which I'm not overly keen on due to the fact it's 24+ hours travelling in total.

Oh no I am really having to think about indirect as I think it will be a nightmare with 4 children but if its going to be the only way then we will do it. Max hours for us is 12 I suppose we are lucky we live in Liverpool so man is our airport! Fingers crossed something pops up! The va sale was a joke as it was not a sale at all! The prices were more expensive than when I looked in early dec! No way in paying £1000 p/p to fly economy! X

I had an email from American Airlines today about their latest sale starting today! I didn't have a look as our flights are booked but might be worth checking out??

I had an email from American Airlines today about their latest sale starting today! I didn't have a look as our flights are booked but might be worth checking out??

Dates I checked in August they were showing from £730 (£751 with only 1 stop each way) over £100 more expensive than Delta, Delta also with far better times.

I totally agree that the flights are the killer for most of us! It would be a much more affordable holiday if the flights were cheaper! Although what I can't understand is why was I able to get flight for 500 euro with Virgin for May flying Dublin to Gatwick and then on to Orlando but when I priced direct flights from Dublin with Aer Lingus the flights were well over 700 euro yet I've seen a few people post here that have flown from the UK to Dublin and then onto Orlando with Aer Lingus as it worked out cheaper for them than flying direct with VA?!?! It makes zero sense! Why give Irish travellers better offers with a UK stopover and UK travellers better offers with an Irish stopover - maybe I'm missing something lol!
As for realising we can't afford our holiday, well my dad is paying for the family as a gift so otherwise we wouldnt be going! The last time we went was May 2011 and I got our whole honeymoon (the details of which are in my siggie) for both of us with transfers when we needed them, car hire for the duration we were in Florida and lots of other small extras all in for 3700 euro! I priced it up for friends of ours travelling this May and they would pay almoat twice what we paid at 5900!! Most of which was on flights! Madness!!

The last time we went was May 2011 and I got our whole honeymoon (the details of which are in my siggie) for both of us with transfers when we needed them, car hire for the duration we were in Florida and lots of other small extras all in for 3700 euro! I priced it up for friends of ours travelling this May and they would pay almoat twice what we paid at 5900!! Most of which was on flights! Madness!!

We're going in May and 2 weeks at POFQ with free dining, economy VA flights from Gatwick to MCO and park tickets is only costing £3,300:confused: I say only like that isn't a lot of money for us :rotfl:

I totally agree that the flights are the killer for most of us! It would be a much more affordable holiday if the flights were cheaper! Although what I can't understand is why was I able to get flight for 500 euro with Virgin for May flying Dublin to Gatwick and then on to Orlando but when I priced direct flights from Dublin with Aer Lingus the flights were well over 700 euro yet I've seen a few people post here that have flown from the UK to Dublin and then onto Orlando with Aer Lingus as it worked out cheaper for them than flying direct with VA?!?! It makes zero sense! Why give Irish travellers better offers with a UK stopover and UK travellers better offers with an Irish stopover - maybe I'm missing something lol!
As for realising we can't afford our holiday, well my dad is paying for the family as a gift so otherwise we wouldnt be going! The last time we went was May 2011 and I got our whole honeymoon (the details of which are in my siggie) for both of us with transfers when we needed them, car hire for the duration we were in Florida and lots of other small extras all in for 3700 euro! I priced it up for friends of ours travelling this May and they would pay almoat twice what we paid at 5900!! Most of which was on flights! Madness!!

Funny you should say that - I was playing about earlier and looking at going from any airport and any date and (sorry I can't remember what dates/airlines) prices between £350-£400 from Dublin were appearing!

We're as flexible as can be about going anytime of year and I would be willing to travel elsewhere but everytime I've costed it up it would cost just as much as flying from Glasgow when I add everything else (travel to airport, accommodation etc.).

OhanaSam said:
We're going in May and 2 weeks at POFQ with free dining, economy VA flights from Gatwick to MCO and park tickets is only costing £3,300:confused: I say only like that isn't a lot of money for us :rotfl:

I just converted the euro to pound so my honeymoon cost around £3000 for 3 weeks is a few different places! In fairness though we went all out while there and spent an absolute fortune lol! Our upcoming trip has cost £750 for flights, villa offsite and car hire for 17 nights. Park tickets will cost us another £300 for WDW, Seaworld and both Universal parks and then spending money. We're bringing around $2500 (around £1500) and we'll have our Visa debit card in case we run short but that shouldn't happen! We can eat at the villa a lot and probably will do that cause I'll want to be sure DS is getting the right foods!

scottishgirl87 said:
Funny you should say that - I was playing about earlier and looking at going from any airport and any date and (sorry I can't remember what dates/airlines) prices between £350-£400 from Dublin were appearing!

We're as flexible as can be about going anytime of year and I would be willing to travel elsewhere but everytime I've costed it up it would cost just as much as flying from Glasgow when I add everything else (travel to airport, accommodation etc.).

OMG I would LOVE that price!! In fairness we paid the equivalent of £425 for our flights via Gatwick but direct is so much more appealing with a small child! I just priced with Aer Lingus and the flights are £600 for our dates!
Well this will be our last one for a long while I reckon! Next year it'll be a family friendly holiday somewhere in Europe! :(

We are also coming to the realisation that we we won't be able to go. We paid our deposit for Yacht Club to celebrate my 30th and my boyfriend has never been to Florida before. We budgeted £850 each for flights based on last years prices but this year direct from Manchester to MCO in August for our dates is £1100 each! I don't feel confident going indirect as my boyfriend has never flown long haul and I haven't been to Florida since 2005. Really want to go but the flight prices are ridiculous :(

This was the exact same for me! I got my flights for €1010 (£823) for both of us with VA thats going from dublin-gatwick(with aer lingus) and gatwick Orlando with VA. For us to fly direct with aer lingus was €1800ish (£1470).
Also I then thought well maybe if we fly to gatwick but stay over night and fly the next day to orlando it might be an option, just to get an extra day in the holiday really BUT when I priced the same flight on the same day with VA going from Gatwick to Orlando it was £1200. I really dont understand how Im getting two flights for less than one? :confused::confused:
Obviously I cant complain of course am delighted with the flight prices I got its a little more travelling but when saving that kind of money its the better option.

I totally agree with OP. We had this reality check a few years ago, in the past our onsite stays have been funded in part by Mr Tesco, so we have been very lucky and also really spoilt.

We now tend to have one cheaper hol one year and then the world the following year. However, due to flight increases, I don't think we will be back for another three years.

If it helps and you still need your Disney Fix, I can thoroughly recommend trying a DCL Med cruise on the Magic. The prices aren't too bad including airfare.

For the three of us in school hols it was costing with air and a hotel around 3200.00 and that included a few days list cruse in an inside cabin.

However, I have postponed this cruise now as it is far cheaper to cruise the Med with Carnival for 12 nights, so we re giving them a whirl. With flights and transfers for three it's costing £4300 with a balcony. It includes stops in Venice, Izmir, Dubrovnik and Sicily as well as the more popular stops in Italy, France and Spain.

I do long for Disney though.

I think today I have definitely come to the conclusion we won't be going this year and to be honest it's mainly down to flights! Having paid £350 each in 2010 we're now looking at nearly double that this year as all flights from Glasgow seem to be around the £600 :sad2:

I really shouldn't complain as in the last few years we've done LA/Mexico/Vegas (2008), Orlando (2010), New York and a Caribbean cruise (2011) and we didn't go on holiday in 2012 in the hope of going to Florida this year. Suppose the saying is true that you can't miss what you haven't got - if we hadn't done all these places in the first place then none of us would be that bothered!

Don't know when you plan to go but TC have flights for £450 going in June from Glasgow, maybe if you fly from Manchester it will be cheaper

bee86 said:
This was the exact same for me! I got my flights for €1010 (£823) for both of us with VA thats going from dublin-gatwick(with aer lingus) and gatwick Orlando with VA. For us to fly direct with aer lingus was €1800ish (£1470).
Also I then thought well maybe if we fly to gatwick but stay over night and fly the next day to orlando it might be an option, just to get an extra day in the holiday really BUT when I priced the same flight on the same day with VA going from Gatwick to Orlando it was £1200. I really dont understand how Im getting two flights for less than one? :confused::confused:
Obviously I cant complain of course am delighted with the flight prices I got its a little more travelling but when saving that kind of money its the better option.

Its craziness isn't it!! When do you travel? We go in May so I'm.delighted with the price we got it at!! Still that being said I won't be back for another couple of years with the way the cost of living is soaring when.compared to our current income!

Its craziness isn't it!! When do you travel? We go in May so I'm.delighted with the price we got it at!! Still that being said I won't be back for another couple of years with the way the cost of living is soaring when.compared to our current income!

Its just mad!!!! We travel June 21st and like that its for my mums 50th bday so cant see myself going back very soon after that. I cant remember exactly but with flights we got everything for about £2900ish so its not too bad and were staying on site. That being said it really is the trip of a lifetime for me and mum and I have only been to WDW once before in 2008 just couldnt afford to go every year.

the last time we all went together was the summer before last...
the cost for 6 of us, as you can imagine, was astronomical...
and the cost has only gone up since then...
no group trip in the foreseeable future..

We made a decision the first time we went we would try and go every 5 years, we have saved our CB and decided not to do DC and can afford to go next year, thanks to Wayne we will be looking at indirect flights so hopefully will have a little more spending money.

We are staying off site and with another family so that cuts costs down slightly, anything that can save £££££ helps

oh good lord....after saying we weren't going back for a while I now need a new ticker!!!
Just used airmiles and booked from November 18th for 15 nights!
Going out direct with VA Premium Econ but coming back VA Econ and cost us a total in taxes of £715-ish so £357 return each..result. :goodvibes

We really really didn't think we could do it this year for various reasons but after playing about with the airmiles and miles plus money etc on VA we just could resist..this is it for a long time though;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter