Dawning realisation we just can't afford it! - Oh wait we can just!!!!!!!!!

london75

DIS Veteran
We've been once or more a year to WDW for the last 8 years, the kids have been an obscene number of times considering they are only 7 and 4 and we've been very very lucky. I've just realised while walking on my own for a sandwich at lunch that I just can't afford it this time.

Our tastes have changed and we've found a love of cruises but even without those things I think it's just too much for me this year.

To complete the trip as is bearing in mind we already cancelled the SSR booking we had in favour of a villa would be around £9000 and I just had a :eek: moment. I'm already working a lot of weekends to cover the general price rises (pay not risen for 4 years) and even then, there is no way I can find £9000 in 7 months.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone is like me and has been living in denial about how much it really adds up to (especially if you're bound by school holidays). Add up honestly what it costs, add in those extras you maybe gloss over like I do like spending money, car parking fees, shopping, airport meals and drinks and duty free. Really add it up and ask yourself can you pay or might a week in DLRP (offsite of course, no way I'd pay onsite prices there) and a cheeky fortnight somewhere hot in Europe that has money troubles (ie desperate for UK tourists) be a better option.

It's the only place in the world that feels like home and I'd truly like to live there but looks like next year is the soonest we'll be going. :sad1:

It is getting very expensive in summer.
I have been pricing up for relatives in August 2 weeks with free DDP, just now they are looking at £5k indirect(flight £640pp) or £6k direct(£914pp) 2 adults & 1 child. staying at POFQ with upgraded DDP. Should have booked when the indirect flights were £400pp but they were not sure about going again.
Problem is people pay the silly prices for flights, I know 3 people who booked this Xmas all paying around the £1k pp mark for flight only with VA. All of them well paid and just think its the norm for August.

We have Easter flights booked but not sure what to do in Summer, just now I think we are only at about 50/50 chance of ending up in Florida.

It's gotten crazy around flights, even United who have been more like 550 are currently 840 for the dates we'd be interested in.

I kept holding my breath for 3k all in for flights with legroom (ie PE or Economy + legroom) but then when adding it up realised even saving 1k on flights at 500 pp, I'd still have 8000 to pay!

I suppose I could bin the cruise, keep the villa and get 3k flights but that still comes to 6,500-7,000 minimum with spends.

Just priced up a week in a villa in Majorca we've stayed in before (admittedly Easter which is off season) and for the week villa+flights is 1500 and that's without shopping around.

Our summer dates were any time in August encompassing the cruise 24th-31st.

Ideally 3 weeks as once you're there you might as well make the most of it but even two weeks with one being cruise was pricey. Ideal dates are 10th - 31st but can't find much either side.

Can't go far into September as school starts for mine on the 4th ruling out the 3rd sep flights which are cheaper.

If we could take advantage of the last minute May Thomson deals we'd be quids in but generally trying to be good for schools.

same here....we really don't know whether to book or not...but on the same note I REALLY REALLY do not do beach holidays so there is no way I will spend money going anywhere to do that! We looked into touring Italy (cities) because this is my most fav place in Europe but even that is coming out mega bucks and we have done it before...I hate having to compromise and don't do the 'It'll do' thing...I would rather stay at home then spend money on something/somewhere that isn't quite what I want..so 'Stay At Home' it may be this year:sad2:

I hate being a grown up and having to spend money on the house/car etc:rotfl:

I hate being grown up too, I refuse to spend money on the bathrooms over holidays for example.

The villa we got in Majorca was lovely and about 10 miles from the coast so not exactly beach. It has it's own orange grove all within walled (but large) grounds so smelt lovely, very tranquil as in the middle of nowhere and had an outdoor barbeque, pool and loads of space. The kids loved it and we did go to the beach a fair bit but went to Palma one day and a couple of other places. Shopped in the local's supermarket each day and ate really well. Thoroughly enjoyed it so think that'll be on the cards for this year for a week.

Every year I say that we can't afford it, then every year we go anyway :rotfl:

Seriously though, I'd rather go more often and "do less" than wait a few years and blow a ton of money on one trip. £9000 seems bonkers to me - ours come in at less than £100 per person per day all inclusive (yep, in the school holidays). 2-3 parks each time, 3 star hotel, use public transport, fly indirect, be flexible on duration to get the cheaper flights - all worth it so we can go most years (and still pay the mortgage!).

Have done Spain, Greece etc. and they are okay but the price difference isn't significant enough for it to be worth the compromise.

Our summer dates were any time in August encompassing the cruise 24th-31st.

Ideally 3 weeks as once you're there you might as well make the most of it but even two weeks with one being cruise was pricey. Ideal dates are 10th - 31st but can't find much either side.

Can't go far into September as school starts for mine on the 4th ruling out the 3rd sep flights which are cheaper.

If we could take advantage of the last minute May Thomson deals we'd be quids in but generally trying to be good for schools.
Coming back the end of Aug & a weekend makes it expensive, £750ish cheapest I can see US airways. Fly midweek and return a week earlier and there are flights with Delta for £650

same here....we really don't know whether to book or not...but on the same note I REALLY REALLY do not do beach holidays so there is no way I will spend money going anywhere to do that! We looked into touring Italy (cities) because this is my most fav place in Europe but even that is coming out mega bucks and we have done it before...I hate having to compromise and don't do the 'It'll do' thing...I would rather stay at home then spend money on something/somewhere that isn't quite what I want..so 'Stay At Home' it may be this year:sad2:

I hate being a grown up and having to spend money on the house/car etc:rotfl:
We have done Spain & Greece to death, I used to love Majorca but I have no interest in going back just now, can't imagine me sitting by the pool day after day like we used to. I would be bored stiff on day 1. My Brother has properties in Turkey I can use but not sure I will enjoy it there.

I hate being grown up too, I refuse to spend money on the bathrooms over holidays for example.

Our bathroom has been in desperate need of a refurb for about 10 years, still won't do it.:rotfl2:

Im looking at nov flights and the flight for all four of us is around 500 then its 1200 on taxes and surcharges. Thats the killer i think

Every year I say that we can't afford it, then every year we go anyway :rotfl:

Seriously though, I'd rather go more often and "do less" than wait a few years and blow a ton of money on one trip. £9000 seems bonkers to me - ours come in at less than £100 per person per day all inclusive (yep, in the school holidays). 2-3 parks each time, 3 star hotel, use public transport, fly indirect, be flexible on duration to get the cheaper flights - all worth it so we can go most years (and still pay the mortgage!).

Have done Spain, Greece etc. and they are okay but the price difference isn't significant enough for it to be worth the compromise.

I know what you mean but 100 pp for a family of 4 for three weeks is 8,400 so not insignificant and certainly not a value proposition when times are lean. I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of it but the girls go to independent school and fees are going up next year too. It's all just too much for now although I'd class us as being far from poor!

I'm self employed like Wayne so there's a double whammy in that you earn nothing while away making the holiday cost twice as much. I don't expect anyone's heart to bleed, we don't go without. I was just posting this for others that were also in denial over whether they could afford it this year to maybe share some of my sudden feeling of pressure release at not having to find the money somewhere. It is actually a bit of a relief not having to check flight prices 10 times a day!

Edit: I should also explain that due to my eldest never having slept more than 5 hours in a row....ever. We don't consider sharing a room a holiday. (Possible exception being a cruise)

I know what you mean but 100 pp for a family of 4 for three weeks is 8,400 so not insignificant and certainly not a value proposition when times are lean. I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of it but the girls go to independent school and fees are going up next year too. It's all just too much for now although I'd class us as being far from poor!

I'm self employed like Wayne so there's a double whammy in that you earn nothing while away making the holiday cost twice as much. I don't expect anyone's heart to bleed, we don't go without. I was just posting this for others that were also in denial over whether they could afford it this year to maybe share some of my sudden feeling of pressure release at not having to find the money somewhere. It is actually a bit of a relief not having to check flight prices 10 times a day!

Well firstly I'd expect to pay max £50 per day per child, but why not just cut down the length of time you go for? You could go for 10 days instead of 3 weeks and still get the vacation? It would also benefit you by not having to take so much time away from your job. You could always do a European break in one of the half terms too.

I was very lucky and got united flights on the 30th july to the 13th august gor a£420 each flying heathrow/ newark/ orlando route with out geting these we would have found it hard .We save hard to go to our happiest place on earth my husband making the biggest scarfice working 72 hours a week , but the experiences and family time we have in those two weeks a year is worth all the penny pinching . I also do a lot of shopping around for tickets , car hire , excursions even sign up to all the resurants so I get sent money of coupons and living social .com site and groupon.comas they have good deals . If you can resist the urge to book the first price you see there are deals to be had and a few less treats a year can add up to time with Mickey Mouse

I think once you make the decision not to go it can feel like a huge weight, financially, has been lifted from your shoulders. As you say you have other priorities such as school fees and it really isn't worth putting yourself into a financial situation for.

We wouldn't have been going this year until Wayne posted about the indirect flights. We didn't want to spend £5k on a beach holiday but we are more than happy to pay it for 2 weeks in Disney at SSR. Going direct just wasn't an option as the cost is ridiculous.

The way the months fly by you'll soon be able to plan and book your trip for 2014 so this should keep you going :thumbsup2

i feel like that and i have already booked !!

however we havent been on holiday for 5 years due to a ongoing debt problem we had although thats now dealt with the trip costs with spends soons has added up

i think we are going to have to do some spends on our credit card this really bothers me as we have just spent 5 year paying them off

im painfully accepting this is going to cost us 10k ( it will genuinely be a trip of a lifetime) ( and im still optimistically hoping we do it in 7k)but £2000 is going to have to go on a credit card we have made the decision we will be back on our super tight budget after the holiday to clear the card balance

i was just looking at a 14 night holiday in tenerife last min with thomas cook e for £800 for all 5 of us so this will be our holidays of the future

my dh and i are also both self employed, i have apart time job that i will get a small amount of holiday pay while away luckily

We are going on 22nd July for 22 nights, this is our 10th trip since 2005 and the 4th time we have gone in the school holidays and luckily I think it will be the cheapest mainly due to the flights. We were able to get the Delta flights for £415 each so a huge saving. We have stayed at SSR twice in the summer (once at Xmas) but even with the free dining I think the price is crazy so we are going back to our favourite resort Wyndham Bonnet Creek (next door to Caribeban Beach). Plus we get a 2 bed villa which is twice the size of a 1 bed at SSR for $130 a night so £1700 instead of over £4000 at SSR. I love SSR but I definitely think Bonnet Creek is far nicer so mroe than happy to stay there. We also got a 4x4 car for £380, again the best deal we have had for July/August.
We know we are very lucky to be able to go so often but I could do it even cheaper if I had to. We take a lot of spending money, about $4000 but never come close to spending it all but nice to know you have it. We don't skimp but we also don't spend money on lots of "stuff". I could easily live without the nice restaurants and just make food in the room if I had to.

I think a lot of us have had a sudden jolt into reality! For the first time in 5 years we are not doing a family holiday this year and instead pushing it to the beginning of next year, just to give a bit of a boost to savings time frames. We seem to have gone a month or so earlier every year and what was routine saving over 12 months has ended up being 10 or 11 months (and then me wondering why it seemed harder each year to save what I had done the previous year).

There is still a chance I am going to do a 5 day solo trip later in the year on the condition that it doesn't negatively impact our family trip next year. It seems to be the flights that are hitting everyone so hard, although when I look at what we paid last year for flights I think it was the lowest price I've had on airfares since 2009! Cost of living is also much higher now and if anyone else is like me, salaries are certainly not rising in tandem with daily expenses :headache:

I started the year with a plan... a meal plan!

I planned two weeks of meals for our family

Week 1
Roast Gammon with trimmings!
Home made Burgers & Chips
Pasta Bake
Cottage Pie & Veg
Chicken Curry
Sausage & Mash
Chicken Kievs, Veg & Chips

Roast Chicken
Chilli Con Carnie
Jacket potatoes
Pasta Bake
Chicken Stir-Fry
Toad in the hole
Pork Chops, Mash & Veg

In addition I have lunch box items incl fruit/veg, bacon, eggs, salad items. As well as bread, rolls, wraps, squash, milk etc..

I ordered online from ASDA - Total cost £75 for two weeks worth of food for a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers (just need to make a few top ups of bread and milk - I have literally halved my shopping bill! That is £2600 a year!

May not work for everyone but an excellent way to save and all the family can help in planning the meals!

I know how this feels! I posted recently actually that we already have accommodation booked but we are due to purchase our first house at the end of this month and the chances of us being able to afford to go are slim :worried: I'm in denial but boyfriend is way more sensible than me and keeps telling me we can't go.

To be honest though, it is flights that are the killer. If it was a choice between not going and staying in a crappy hotel then I'd take the crappy hotel. I'm always amazed at how much people spend on flights, we're looking at £550 indirect or £630ish direct (2 days later than planned) which I still think is extortionate, especially when it's outwith school holidays.

I know how this feels! I posted recently actually that we already have accommodation booked but we are due to purchase our first house at the end of this month and the chances of us being able to afford to go are slim :worried: I'm in denial but boyfriend is way more sensible than me and keeps telling me we can't go.

To be honest though, it is flights that are the killer. If it was a choice between not going and staying in a crappy hotel then I'd take the crappy hotel. I'm always amazed at how much people spend on flights, we're looking at £550 indirect or £630ish direct (2 days later than planned) which I still think is extortionate, especially when it's outwith school holidays.

That's what this thread is for, to say you're not alone and there are loads of other great things to do. As Clare said it's a great weight off my shoulders, I'm not working 72 hours a week thankfully but it feels like it, I did 28 out of 31 days in December and the kids have started saying "why do you have to work today?". So busy trying to get us to Florida for 2-3 weeks of fun that I miss out on 48 Sundays in the year that cost nothing but mean everything to the kids. I'm too tired to take them biking, swimming, ice skating etc etc etc.

I think our plan is now a week at Easter in Majorca for 1,300, 2 weeks in France in the summer for probably 2,500 including some days in dlrp.

3 weeks away including Disney fix (nowhere near as good but kids like it) = 3,800.

You never know, Monarch might have mega August deals like a couple of years ago, wishful thinking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter