Data Usage during trip

jkwolfe

Earning My Ears
My husband and I will be visiting DL for the first time in early October for 4 days and am trying to figure out how much data we might need. We currently share a 3gb data package (he will probably be the only one to carry his phone into the parks) and am wondering if we should opt for a larger package during our trip. We haven't decided yet about Maxpass so I realize that would influence our usage. Thanks!

My husband and I will be visiting DL for the first time in early October for 4 days and am trying to figure out how much data we might need. We currently share a 3gb data package (he will probably be the only one to carry his phone into the parks) and am wondering if we should opt for a larger package during our trip. We haven't decided yet about Maxpass so I realize that would influence our usage. Thanks!

Hi ... we went for longer than 4 days and we used LESS than 1 GB of data to check Disneyland Wait Times while we were in the parks.

NOTE: NO Maxpass usage
NOTE: NO other usage other than checking Disneyland Wait Times (eg. NO surfing internet or playing games that used data)

Hope this helps. Have fun in the parks! :-)

I would check to see how much you use in a month and where you are before your trip. If your close to capping out for the month then I would buy extra if your just starting your month then you should be fine as long as you aren't doing Facebook streaming live or anything like that.

I stream music on my phone as I travel to and from work and I usually use about 2G in a month.

We also share 3GB of data and we came no where close to that using MaxPass, checking wait times, dining menus, etc. while there. For reference, I just checked our billing statement for while we were in DL. The Disneyland app used 103MB for 3 days in the park.

I turned off WiFi while in the park as I didn't want to waste battery searching for a signal. We connected to WiFi once back in the hotel room.

You can set up an alert on your phone to warn you if you reach an amount you set (we each have our phone alerts set to 1GB).

I was there 2 weeks ago for 5 days. I was constantly checking wait times, using MaxPass and booking dining and I used under 1GB. You should be just fine with 3GB. Have a great trip!

I was pretty free with my data usage during our 2 days at Disneyland last month. I hooked into DL Wi-fi but it was rarely available (I enabled the Wi-fi assist on my iPhone those days). I checked the app often and power-used MaxPass. After all of that I have still only used .5 GB total in the past 3-plus weeks, and DL was part of a longer trip that I had limited Wi-fi some days.

I think your 3-GB plan will be fine. (I also rationalized that the price of bumping up my package to the next, much higher level, was about the same as just paying for 1 GB if we went over, so I'd chance it).

PHXcuba

Do you have an iphone? When I travel internationally i go into settings > cellular > then scroll down to the apps and shut off each app unless i specifically need it. Alot of apps use a ton of data even when in the background. Under the app name it shows how much data that app has used since resetting the counters. For example, my Disneyland app from last weekend used 52.1 mb.

We were just there last week and used the app for all 4 days (4 full days), including MaxPass for 3 of those days. I have 2GB and did not go over my limit. I made sure to connect to wifi when we got back to the hotel though.

I have been wondering about this very question and appreciate all the helpful answers. So now I know I don't need to worry about data--just about draining my phone using maxpass (though I know there are some good suggestions about this on another thread). So appreciate Disboards and all the great information for my planning:flower3:!

I have been wondering about this very question and appreciate all the helpful answers. So now I know I don't need to worry about data--just about draining my phone using maxpass (though I know there are some good suggestions about this on another thread). So appreciate Disboards and all the great information for my planning:flower3:!

I am buying one of these for our upcoming trip to WDW. I have a couple small ones, but they are small and older and only charge an iphone part way. This one can charge 2 phones at once multiple times:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z...1_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1AVY93T0JFX1R17GDAJH

Do you have an iphone? When I travel internationally i go into settings > cellular > then scroll down to the apps and shut off each app unless i specifically need it. Alot of apps use a ton of data even when in the background. Under the app name it shows how much data that app has used since resetting the counters. For example, my Disneyland app from last weekend used 52.1 mb.
Definitely do this. There are some things running in the background that eat a lot of data just keeping fresh in the background.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter