DAS is getting an Upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was replying to someone about the 2 extra passes who was implying that it was unfair to other guests who don’t get the das and not about cheating the system. You didn’t add my whole reply. My son actually walks- he has CP, brain injury caused by shaking baby syndrome ( my children are adopted) autism, behavior challenges so the wheelchair stroller helps him and walking all day in the park would be too much for him. I was trying to explain that 2 extra passes isn’t much when you consider what they have to deal with all day in their lives . Lots of medical issues!! My daughter at age 23 has had 40 surgeries. A little pixie dust wouldn’t hurt! Besides, a lot of the time we end up waiting longer because we have to wait for the wheelchair accessible vehicle for my daughter we usually have to wait for the bathroom too! Lol . We get many stares all day because she uses a wheelchair and because she makes loud noises 😟 She is nonverbal and DeafBlind

Except that i didn’t say/imply/suggest that. I said that the new system may be enough for some people to want to/try to fraud the system to get them. I said nothing about it being unfair. Please stop misstating what I said (this is the second post where you have done so).

As I said before, my family also uses the DAS system. I feel this needs to be said (again), since you suggested that I shouldn’t comment if I didn’t understand families who need to use the system.

Hi Folks! Let's keep this thread on topic -- discussion about the changes coming to DAS. Since DAS is need-based, and 2 individuals with the same diagnosis may have different needs, Guest Relations staff will determine eligibility - nobody here has that ability.

Please remember that sometimes it's hard to discern tone in the written word. An exclamation point may mean happy-excited! or frustrated-annoyed-angry! It can sometimes be hard to tell. Personally, I try to give the benefit of the doubt when reading and find that if I expect the poster is coming in with good intentions, that is often the way it will sound. The vast majority of posters here on the disABILITIES Forum have disabilities themselves or their family members and want to help others.
Just reposting this.
please stay on subject so we can keep this thread open and helpful

I really don't think this is what the poster was saying, AT ALL. They were replying to what they felt was someone complaining that DAS users will now get to book 2 rides in advance (and many have complained about it). They shared their story as a way to illustrate that granting 2 advance bookings really isn't a huge advantage, that basically, it still just keeps them on a level playing field. They never once in any of their replies implied anything along the lines of what you're saying (that only certain people deserve it).
And obviously not everyone agrees that getting two advance ride entries constitutes a level playing field.

I have another question. Say we qualify for the DAS and we schedule our 2 rides per day. We have a 5-day park hopper for Disneyland and have made reservations. We will also be using Genie+. Life happens and we miss one or both of our DAS reservations. Can we schedule a return time for that same ride on the same day. For example, say we scheduled Peter Pan for 10:30am but didn’t get to the park until after 1:00pm. Can we go ahead and use the app to schedule a return time for Peter Pan?

We will know that morning if we are able to make our pre-scheduled rides or not. If not, is there a way to just go ahead and cancel them, thus allowing for someone else to take advantage of that time slot?

I have another question. Say we qualify for the DAS and we schedule our 2 rides per day. We have a 5-day park hopper for Disneyland and have made reservations. We will also be using Genie+. Life happens and we miss one or both of our DAS reservations. Can we schedule a return time for that same ride on the same day. For example, say we scheduled Peter Pan for 10:30am but didn’t get to the park until after 1:00pm. Can we go ahead and use the app to schedule a return time for Peter Pan?

We will know that morning if we are able to make our pre-scheduled rides or not. If not, is there a way to just go ahead and cancel them, thus allowing for someone else to take advantage of that time slot?
From what is written on the Disney website, if the one hour window for your DAS Advance selection(s) expire without you using them, they would just go away.
Your example looks like it would be how it will work. In your case, if you purchase Genie+, you could choose to get a DAS Return Time based on the current Standby wait time OR use the Genie+ next available time.

There also doesn’t seem to be any restriction on making a DAS Return Time for the same attraction, so if your child wants to go on Peter Pan twice, they could also make a DAS Return Time for the same attraction they rode using DAS Advance selection.
This is just a guess, but I’m guessing that the DAS Advance selections a guest makes will be locked after making it. We also don’t know if there is a specific ‘inventory’ of attraction times used for DAS Advance selections. Since the Advance Selections need to be made at the time of the video call, the guest cancelling it on the day of visit wouldn’t make it available for anyone else using DAS.

NOTE: we don’t know which attractions or times will be available for DAS Advance selections when guests pre-register for DAS on video chat. The website includes a lot of ‘if available’ language.

Except that i didn’t say/imply/suggest that. I said that the new system may be enough for some people to want to/try to fraud the system to get them. I said nothing about it being unfair. Please stop misstating what I said (this is the second post where you have done so).

As I said before, my family also uses the DAS system. I feel this needs to be said (again), since you suggested that I shouldn’t comment if I didn’t understand families who need to use the system.
I am so sorry. I misunderstood what you a
Said so I apologize . Again I am so sorry! I won’t post here anymore. Sometimes I guess it is best to say nothing. I never post.

From what is written on the Disney website, if the one hour window for your DAS Advance selection(s) expire without you using them, they would just go away.
Your example looks like it would be how it will work. In your case, if you purchase Genie+, you could choose to get a DAS Return Time based on the current Standby wait time OR use the Genie+ next available time.

There also doesn’t seem to be any restriction on making a DAS Return Time for the same attraction, so if your child wants to go on Peter Pan twice, they could also make a DAS Return Time for the same attraction they rode using DAS Advance selection.
This is just a guess, but I’m guessing that the DAS Advance selections a guest makes will be locked after making it. We also don’t know if there is a specific ‘inventory’ of attraction times used for DAS Advance selections. Since the Advance Selections need to be made at the time of the video call, the guest cancelling it on the day of visit wouldn’t make it available for anyone else using DAS.

NOTE: we don’t know which attractions or times will be available for DAS Advance selections when guests pre-register for DAS on video chat. The website includes a lot of ‘if available’ language.

Thanks! This is all so confusing to me. Maybe I should just put my DD to figuring this all out.

I have to agree with you here and I hope we are wrong, but I can see the incentive for abuse here as well and am concerned about it.

I will add is that I think if they decide not to allow advance selection of the IAS rides it will cut down on people trying to abuse the system.

Scheduling 2 GP+ attractions really gives an advantage of one extra at park opening over other guests, so IMO, not a huge reason for people to jump though hoops to get DAS when they don’t need it.

I will add is that I think if they decide not to allow advance selection of the IAS rides it will cut down on people trying to abuse the system.

Scheduling 2 GP+ attractions really gives an advantage of one extra at park opening over other guests, so IMO, not a huge reason for people to jump though hoops to get DAS when they don’t need it.
Well, if people are using DAS and genie+ and lightning lane, they can enter the park starting off with 5 rides am I right? 2 for DAS, 1 for Genie plus, and 2 for lighting lane???

Last edited:
Disney has put a pretty severe penalty out there for untrue statements made during registration for DAS or fraudulent use:

”What happens if any of the statements made by a Guest in the process of registering for DAS are found to be not true?
If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.”

With it that specific and prominent on the Disney website, I think it will also be emphasized during the registration process, whether on the video registration or in person.
I think that Disney is also encouraging guests to use the video registration to make the process more consistent. It would also keep guests from bullying CMs and/or making a scene to get DAS when registering in person at the parks. I have witnessed people doing both (while refusing to give the CM any information).

I would be curious to see how Disney can prove they were lied to. It's a pretty sticky situation to accuse someone of lying. Disney better come with hard cold facts, which most visitors know Disney won't do in my opinion. I am no thief or am I a liar, but if I was, that wording by Disney would not scare me at all, because really how can they prove a person lied without accusing people? Which, in the end can be bad for Disney.

Last edited:
Thanks! This is all so confusing to me. Maybe I should just put my DD to figuring this all out.

Yeah, that’s the worst part of this whole Genie thing for me; it’s just so complicated. For those of us with executive dysfunction as part of our disability, it’s certainly a double-edged sword.

Yeah, that’s the worst part of this whole Genie thing for me; it’s just so complicated. For those of us with executive dysfunction as part of our disability, it’s certainly a double-edged sword.

Remember that this is actually not going to be that different from what we are used to at WDW; it's really kind of like MaxPass at DL and FP+ at WDW had a baby, and now we call the old FP+ entrance the "Lightning Lane" (which you might see abbreviated around here as "LL") and we pay for access to the system (like they have been doing at DL for some time now.) Yes, there will be "add-ons" that you may have the option to purchase for extra money, but in the long run, I have a feeling that this is not going to function all that differently from what we already know; it's all just renamed and spiffed up and costs money to use.

The primary change to the DAS appears to be those advance DAS request video calls, which are something that I am glad to see, if only because I know it will help a lot of people feel better about knowing if they have DAS or not for their next trip, and it will help cut down on the congestion and time spent at GR in the Parks.

It just feels like a lot of new info to process, but I imagine once we see the system start to roll out, we will all realize it really isn't too different in day-to-day use from what we already know, maybe with just some flashy "Genie" bits around the edges 🙂

I would be curious to see how Disney can prove they were lied to. It's a pretty sticky situation to accuse someone of lying. Disney better come with hard cold facts, which most visitors know Disney won't do in my opinion. I am no thief or am I a liar, but if I was, that wording by Disney would not scare me at all, because really how can they prove a person lied without accusing people? Which, in the end can be bad for Disney.

Since ADA requires no proof of disability be given, I also can't see how Disney can enforce their statement. About the only thing it might curb are those videos out there about how to get a DAS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter