Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

I always thought that DAS was suppose to allow disabled families an experience comparable to standby. But, we know DAS is far superior to standby.
Comparable to standby for whom? What exactly is a standby experience that you would compare it to?

With my limited experience with DAS (only used it the last two trips out of years of vacations at WDW) I've found that I have not experienced much that I would label "superior", but I'm in first aid doing PT while I wait for my return time, or finding some shade, water, and quiet. I might go on one other attraction a day while I'm waiting for my DAS return time, so I am not getting more access for the most part. I think you are believing that people using DAS are getting on tons of rides each day that others are not. For me, DAS means I can get on 5-6 rides a day at most.

Anything new regarding DAS and Crohn? Any new experience in the last weeks?
DAS hasn’t changed.
It’s not based on diagnosis; despite what people often post in different places, there is not a list of diagnoses that are always approved or never approved.
It’s totally based on disability connected needs/issues related to waiting (not standing) in the regular lines.
Some guests with the same diagnosis have no needs related to waiting in regular lines, some only in certain circumstances/during a flare and others have needs that are always present that cause issues.

Guests need to be able to answer a question similar to “What are your concerns with waiting in line?”

Back in the past, waiting in Guest Relations when the only way to obtain DAS was in person, I saw a lot of people having difficulty requesting DAS.
Many were just stating their diagnosis over and over and not answering any questions (or their diagnosis was the answer to every question). Many others answered the question about concerns with waiting in line with the same sentence and when the CM attempted to get more information or reworded the question, the guest gave the same sentence.

So, think about what YOUR concerns are with waiting in the regular lines. What issues do YOU experience waiting in lines or what ABOUT the line environment causes issues for YOU. If you have examples, that is helpful.

DAS hasn’t changed.
It’s not based on diagnosis; despite what people often post in different places, there is not a list of diagnoses that are always approved or never approved.
It’s totally based on disability connected needs/issues related to waiting (not standing) in the regular lines.
Some guests with the same diagnosis have no needs related to waiting in regular lines, some only in certain circumstances/during a flare and others have needs that are always present that cause issues.

Guests need to be able to answer a question similar to “What are your concerns with waiting in line?”

Back in the past, waiting in Guest Relations when the only way to obtain DAS was in person, I saw a lot of people having difficulty requesting DAS.
Many were just stating their diagnosis over and over and not answering any questions (or their diagnosis was the answer to every question). Many others answered the question about concerns with waiting in line with the same sentence and when the CM attempted to get more information or reworded the question, the guest gave the same sentence.

So, think about what YOUR concerns are with waiting in the regular lines. What issues do YOU experience waiting in lines or what ABOUT the line environment causes issues for YOU. If you have examples, that is helpful.

I agree with SueM in MN's comments here.

My child's DAS experience has been good thus far. WDW and DLR granted them DAS.

My child has aged into an adult now too. So, they are self-advocating without any assistance of Mom and Dad. I encouraged my kid to write a list of examples when speaking with the CM so they had a check-list of sorts and that way they could cover all the bases and have something to refresh their memory of different ways the condition affects them in a standby queue and why accomodation is needed. My DW and I strongly encourage our kid to self-advocate to the extent they can and understanding each child with a disability (and each child without a disability) is different, I always encourage parents to try to let their disabled child to advocate as much as he/she/they can possibly advocate when speaking with a CM about DAS.

I agree with SueM in MN's comments here.

My child's DAS experience has been good thus far. WDW and DLR granted them DAS.

My child has aged into an adult now too. So, they are self-advocating without any assistance of Mom and Dad. I encouraged my kid to write a list of examples when speaking with the CM so they had a check-list of sorts and that way they could cover all the bases and have something to refresh their memory of different ways the condition affects them in a standby queue and why accomodation is needed. My DW and I strongly encourage our kid to self-advocate to the extent they can and understanding each child with a disability (and each child without a disability) is different, I always encourage parents to try to let their disabled child to advocate as much as he/she/they can possibly advocate when speaking with a CM about DAS.
We still visit the CMs to do exactly this to work on DS's interactions. DAS on the app is great and convenient and appreciated. Having those CM interactions to help him are too!

So, not Disney, but we went to Universal Hollywood with our kids for the first time yesterday and got an Attraction Assistance Pass with no problem. They were SO friendly and helpful and didn't make me go into too many details about my son's difficulties. I said one sentence and was about to continue and he put his hand up and said "I completely understand, I got you. What is the young man's name?" And he issued the pass, explained in detail about how it works, and gave my son's First Visit pins. Easy peasy, and it REALLY helped make our day successful (because Universal Hollywood during spring break is NO JOKE and lines were long for everything all day).

I also have to say, I did do a couple standby lines when my son was too timid to try something until his brother tried it first, and I didn't witness ANY line jumping. Guests were also very polite and friendly all day. It was a different crowd than we typically see at Disneyland, a much less entitled crowd, I'll say that much. Disney has created monsters, it seems, and the suggestions to hold places in line rather than accommodate people's disabilities is a sad direction for Disney.

Universal's assistance pass was not nearly as convenient as the DAS, but it worked just as well. Maybe Disney needs to dial back on some of the convenience to preserve the integrity of the program. It seems other parks are getting more generous with their accommodations (Universal, Legoland, Sea World) while Disney is getting more stingy.
What makes Universal’s assistance pass less convenient than the DAS?

They use a paper pass - you go to the ride, request a return time, the team member writes the time, you return, the team member checks the time. Much less convenient than tapping with your magic band. Though Universal Orlando does allow you to call ahead to get approved (still need to visit guest services for the physical pass), and has since well before Disney allowed online DAS pre-approval.

DAS holders most definitely have an advantage in experiencing the parks. Whether they choose or are able to do so obviously differs from guest to guest. Bt there is no question that there is an advantage.
That’s only true if you assume that a DAS holder is actually able to experience all aspects of the park equally in all ways that a non DAS holder can. THEN the DAS would give them an advantage. You obviously do not understand what the experience of someone who needs the DAS is. It’s like saying that a blind person that gets to take their service dog to the park has an advantage in experiencing the park because they don’t have to board their pet. 🤦🏻‍♀️

It boils down to money on Disney's side. DAS users are taking up space in the LL/Genie + lines. They want you to pay for it so they make it as uncomfortable as possible yo get the DAS.

It boils down to money on Disney's side. DAS users are taking up space in the LL/Genie + lines. They want you to pay for it so they make it as uncomfortable as possible yo get the DAS.
If that is the case all they need to do is drop the 2 in advance. They don't need to offer that, it is above and beyond and certainly a carrot to folks who get a DAS without need.

It involves LOTS of walking to get to the ride for the time assignment, then back to the ride. Waiting sometimes several minutes to get a time because everyone with a pass is doing the same thing. Sometimes the TM can't calculate well (they do it in their head) and you end up waiting longer than the standby line.

Years ago we had an Annual Pass where they actually printed on the pass that DS had their AAP so we only had to renew it yearly. Now we wait in a line that often is 20-30 minutes just to get the pass for a single trip. Getting it in advance online doesn't exempt one from being in the line to get your card. Over the years we have had more questions, seen people really questioned about it and they are very strict on numbers.

They use a paper pass - you go to the ride, request a return time, the team member writes the time, you return, the team member checks the time. Much less convenient than tapping with your magic band. Though Universal Orlando does allow you to call ahead to get approved (still need to visit guest services for the physical pass), and has since well before Disney allowed online DAS pre-approval.
Ah. Okay. Thank you for that information.

My trip last October was the first time I needed a DAS, and it was granted with little effort in advance - in case that is not the case for my trip this year, if you go to Guest Services and request it - do they grant it just for that day/park or is it for the same 60 day window?

That’s only true if you assume that a DAS holder is actually able to experience all aspects of the park equally in all ways that a non DAS holder can. THEN the DAS would give them an advantage. You obviously do not understand what the experience of someone who needs the DAS is. It’s like saying that a blind person that gets to take their service dog to the park has an advantage in experiencing the park because they don’t have to board their pet. 🤦🏻‍♀️
The DAS isn't meant to allow disabled people to experience ALL aspects of the park equally, just the attractions. It does nothing for getting into the park, nothing for transportation, nothing for dining, and nothing for some of the character meet & greets.

But for the area that DAS does impact, accessing attractions that allow it, it definitely offers advantages. Whether every single disabled person is able to experience those advantages or not is a different story.

If that is the case all they need to do is drop the 2 in advance. They don't need to offer that, it is above and beyond and certainly a carrot to folks who get a DAS without need.

It involves LOTS of walking to get to the ride for the time assignment, then back to the ride. Waiting sometimes several minutes to get a time because everyone with a pass is doing the same thing. Sometimes the TM can't calculate well (they do it in their head) and you end up waiting longer than the standby line.

Years ago we had an Annual Pass where they actually printed on the pass that DS had their AAP so we only had to renew it yearly. Now we wait in a line that often is 20-30 minutes just to get the pass for a single trip. Getting it in advance online doesn't exempt one from being in the line to get your card. Over the years we have had more questions, seen people really questioned about it and they are very strict on numbers.
I do agree that they should remove the 2 bonus. The vast majority of DAS users share they don't end up using them, and it's created of a lot resentment/blame game among non DAS users towards DAS users about "having an advantage".

I think this would be the case regardless now that Genie+ is paid, but it def feels like the 2 bonus are a particularly sore spot for some people. They're also just not really that useful or necessary for the vast majority of guests.

As someone who has used DAS both in a group and when traveling solo, I agree that the advance reservations are unnecessary. I have booked them in the past, and I'd say I used maybe half of them. Folks with disabilities need flexibility, which is why it's nice that day-of reservations don't expire. You make the reservation, and you can take your time getting there. It's wonderful. Most of the value of DAS comes with the day-of reservations.

I don't plan on registering for DAS for my next trip to Disneyland until I arrive. I have my plan of attack for the mornings, but I like to see where the day takes me. Planning too much in advance doesn't work for me anymore. The most I can do is one ADR a day. Otherwise, I'll get there when I get there. :)

We use DAS every time we are in Disney (not Crohns). I would say that it had something to do with the person that you met, and you didn't make the case for why you cannot wait in line. If you have a doctor you regularly see, I'd ask if they could write a note explaining the unpredictability of the condition, and being stuck in line for 2 hours would not be an option.

We use DAS every time we are in Disney (not Crohns). I would say that it had something to do with the person that you met, and you didn't make the case for why you cannot wait in line. If you have a doctor you regularly see, I'd ask if they could write a note explaining the unpredictability of the condition, and being stuck in line for 2 hours would not be an option.
They will not look at a doctor's note.

I do agree that they should remove the 2 bonus. The vast majority of DAS users share they don't end up using them, and it's created of a lot resentment/blame game among non DAS users towards DAS users about "having an advantage".

I think this would be the case regardless now that Genie+ is paid, but it def feels like the 2 bonus are a particularly sore spot for some people. They're also just not really that useful or necessary for the vast majority of guests.
The complaints make me laugh. Seriously I am happy when we do three hours in the parks with our son. I know so many families like ours. I am grateful we have the opportunity to ride a few rides with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter