Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

Lakemera

Earning My Ears
I have Crohn's and it's bad right now. I'm supposed to go to Disneyland soon, first time in years.

I read the disability access page on Disneyland's website and thought that was me as I'm going to have a very hard time standing in any line, because it's so bad now I have to go when I have to go, and that could be several times an hour. I dont want to deal with getting in and out of line around people and worrying about how quickly I could get to a bathroom or making people mad when I got back in line and try to find my family.

I did the video chat and was denied DAS. The rep was completely condescending. Told me I shouldn't believe what I watch on tiktok because this is a Tiktok trend, among other very condescending things.

I'm really upset and don't want to go any more because I will be too stressed out worrying about having an accident.

I've read here that others with Crohn's have gotten approved. How can I get DAS so I can do this trip to Disneyland?

Last edited:
DAS isn't diagnosis based. Telling the CM that you have Crohn's isn't supposed to be a factor in the decision to grant/not grant DAS. The issue is your difficulty waiting in lines. Try again with a different CM. Explain your problem with waiting in lines, not your diagnosis. If that doesn't work, try in person at DL or DCA. Go to City Hall in DL, Chamber of Commerce in DCA, or to any of the Information Kiosks (look for CMs wearing plaid).

Last edited:
I have Crohn's and it's bad right now. I'm supposed to go to Disneyland soon, first time in years.

I read the disability access page on Disneyland's website and thought that was me as I'm going to have a very hard time standing in any line, because it's so bad now I have to go when I have to go, and that could be several times an hour. I dont want to deal with getting in and out of line around people and worrying about how quickly I could get to a bathroom or making people mad when I got back in line and try to find my family.

I did the video chat and was denied DAS. The rep was completely condescending. Told me I shouldn't believe what I watch on tiktok because this is a Tiktok trend, among other very condescending things.

I'm really upset and don't want to go any more because I will be too stressed out worrying about having an accident.

I've read here that others with Crohn's have gotten approved. How can I get DAS so I can do this trip to Disneyland?
remember to explain why you can not wait in line not Crohn"s. it is based on why you need not what you have. your next to last line will help more than Crohn's if that helps

Go to Guest Services in the parks and tell them what you said about urgency and you should have no problems being approved. I have done the chat for WDW, but since I am local to Disneyland, I just get it in person there. You can definitely try the chat again. There is one rep on the Disneyland one that several people have had bad experiences with. Sorry - I can't remember her name though!

Agree with other posters. DAS is based on needs/issues related to a disability, not on condition or diagnosis. Many people with the same diagnosis will have very different needs and some may not have issues waiting in line while others will.
As some of the other posters mentioned, keep in mind that waits of 10-30 minutes in line can happen, even with using DAS. Some lines might be easier to leave and return to than others and you may also find a long wait line in the restrooms

I will add though that there are TikTok videos where people have bragged about how they got DAS authorized despite not being disabled.

Agree with other posters. DAS is based on needs/issues related to a disability, not on condition or diagnosis. Many people with the same diagnosis will have very different needs and some may not have issues waiting in line while others will.
As some of the other posters mentioned, keep in mind that waits of 10-30 minutes in line can happen, even with using DAS. Some lines might be easier to leave and return to than others and you may also find a long wait line in the restrooms

I will add though that there are TikTok videos where people have bragged about how they got DAS authorized despite not being disabled.
While I agree with you and have heard the same, I'm fairly appalled a cast member would accuse a person to their face of lying, and doing this for a TikTok trend. Imagine if it was going viral on TikTok to have allergies, and you went to the doctor after getting hives from peanut butter and your doctor accused you of "making it up because of TikTok". It would be wildly unprofessional to do, regardless of if true or not. It's not appropriate for a non-medical professional at Disney to go around accusing people of lying about their medical conditions. Deny them, fine! But to go on a rant about it like this? Not okay.

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it.

I did start with telling her that I had Crohn's, but then proceeded to tell her that I had urgency and that standing in long lines wasn't doable for me. She then proceeded to ask further questions about how bad my condition is and also asked point blank if medications for my auto—immune disease aren't helping me and proceeded to lecture me that people with my condition have varying symptoms. I told her more than I should have but I thought that's just how this was supposed to go as I've never used this. I even told her that I have to use the bathroom 3 to 4 times an hour, several hours a day. Didn't sway her.

After reading some of the comments here and other's experiences, I'm thinking now part of the problem was she was focusing on my group and not me. She literally told me that because there weren't more kids she was not gong to approve this. If I had more kids in the group then she might.

Not having more kids in the group does not help my disability at all! Doesn't matter how many people, I'll still have the same issues.

The group is me, my sister and her husband and 3 kids 10 and under. They don't like big rides. I do. I was not planning on staying with them all the time so I won't be having anyone to hold my place in line.

I do understand that I will still have to wait in line, but 10 to 30 minutes is loads better than an hour plus. If my illness is really bad, which is highly likely, 10 to 30 minute time frame is a lot easier to have fun around my disability then not be able to do much because the longer wait times mean I'm more likely to have issues.

I'm glad my one experience with DAS reps does not seem to be the norm.

I'm working but as soon as I can I'm going to try this again.

While I agree with you and have heard the same, I'm fairly appalled a cast member would accuse a person to their face of lying, and doing this for a TikTok trend. Imagine if it was going viral on TikTok to have allergies, and you went to the doctor after getting hives from peanut butter and your doctor accused you of "making it up because of TikTok". It would be wildly unprofessional to do, regardless of if true or not. It's not appropriate for a non-medical professional at Disney to go around accusing people of lying about their medical conditions. Deny them, fine! But to go on a rant about it like this? Not okay.
That is not what I was saying!
I don’t think it would be appropriate for a CM to accuse a guest of making up things based on TikTok videos. That type of thing should be reported.
ALL I was saying is that it IS a fact that people are going on TikTok and bragging about and giving instructions on how to do various things.

You can try again at GS when you get there. A good approach is trying a couple attractions, then going to GS to explain what is going wrong. That gives them specifics to work with. Good luck and have a great trip!

That is not what I was saying!
I don’t think it would be appropriate for a CM to accuse a guest of making up things based on TikTok videos. That type of thing should be reported.
ALL I was saying is that it IS a fact that people are going on TikTok and bragging about and giving instructions on how to do various things.
Gotcha- totally understand!! ❤️

Hi, since you said this is the first time you tried for DAS, just wanted you to be aware that you have to go on the rides as the first person in your group. If you aren't feeling up to a certain ride, that you already picked, you can't just say to the rest of the party, go ahead and they get the shorten wait time.

The first time we used it, I didn't realize DH had to tag in first. Once or twice I tagged in first and didn't understand why it didn't work.

Try in person. They are more sympathetic in the parks.However, dont lead with your diagnosis. Simply start with why you need an alternate place to wait your turn. If you lead with a diagnosis, they tend to go on the offensive and immediately reply "we don't issue DAS based on a diagnosis."

I know some people don't believe this, but different CMs will absolutely give you different results with the same information. Other people with the exact same needs as mine have been approved when I've been denied. If you're sure that this is the appropriate accommodation for you, please do try again when you get to the park.

I'll have to try in the park like many of you are suggesting. I just tried again and got shut down again.

This guy was nicer at first and up front mentioned I don't need to give a medical diagnosis or medical info.

I explained I couldn't wait in the longer lines and again he just said you are with other adults so they will hold your place in line.

I asked what about going off on my own or with a child and he said that they have no control over what I do and that's at my discretion, so they still will not accommodate me with anything.

I stared to ask another question and he said thanks and hung up me.

I can't believe the customer service I'm getting from supposedly the happiest place on earth.

I'm not being mean or angry to them, this is completely unacceptable.

Edit:

Oh, forgot to mention that he did "give me an accommodation" such that if I felt uncomfortable when I got there, I could go to the few rides that doesn't have wheel chair access and let them know I can't do the stairs and they'll let me bypass those lines, but I have to go find a cast member to ask and that "they are extremely helpful."

What the heck? He's telling me to lie?! Because doing stairs is not my issue

Last edited:
I'll have to try in the park like many of you are suggesting. I just tried again and got shut down again.

This guy was nicer at first and up front mentioned I don't need to give a medical diagnosis or medical info.

I explained I couldn't wait in the longer lines and again he just said you are with other adults so they will hold your place in line.

I asked what about going off on my own or with a child and he said that they have no control over what I do and that's at my discretion, so they still will not accommodate me with anything.

I stared to ask another question and he said thanks and hung up me.

I can't believe the customer service I'm getting from supposedly the happiest place on earth.

I'm not being mean or angry to them, this is completely unacceptable.

Edit:

Oh, forgot to mention that he did "give me an accommodation" such that if I felt uncomfortable when I got there, I could go to the few rides that doesn't have wheel chair access and let them know I can't do the stairs and they'll let me bypass those lines, but I have to go find a cast member to ask and that "they are extremely helpful."

What the heck? He's telling me to lie?! Because doing stairs is not my issue

Stop trying the online option. I am of the belief that they are purposely giving people a hard time with this in order to weed people out who are trying to scam.

It really only take a few minutes to do this in person in the park. You can do it at any guest relations kiosk in the parks.

Stop trying the online option. I am of the belief that they are purposely giving people a hard time with this in order to weed people out who are trying to scam.

It really only take a few minutes to do this in person in the park. You can do it at any guest relations kiosk in the parks.
Thank you, I will do that. That makes sense.

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it.

I did start with telling her that I had Crohn's, but then proceeded to tell her that I had urgency and that standing in long lines wasn't doable for me. She then proceeded to ask further questions about how bad my condition is and also asked point blank if medications for my auto—immune disease aren't helping me and proceeded to lecture me that people with my condition have varying symptoms. I told her more than I should have but I thought that's just how this was supposed to go as I've never used this. I even told her that I have to use the bathroom 3 to 4 times an hour, several hours a day. Didn't sway her.

After reading some of the comments here and other's experiences, I'm thinking now part of the problem was she was focusing on my group and not me. She literally told me that because there weren't more kids she was not gong to approve this. If I had more kids in the group then she might.

Not having more kids in the group does not help my disability at all! Doesn't matter how many people, I'll still have the same issues.

The group is me, my sister and her husband and 3 kids 10 and under. They don't like big rides. I do. I was not planning on staying with them all the time so I won't be having anyone to hold my place in line.

I do understand that I will still have to wait in line, but 10 to 30 minutes is loads better than an hour plus. If my illness is really bad, which is highly likely, 10 to 30 minute time frame is a lot easier to have fun around my disability then not be able to do much because the longer wait times mean I'm more likely to have issues.

I'm glad my one experience with DAS reps does not seem to be the norm.

I'm working but as soon as I can I'm going to try this again.
If you’re using the bathroom every 15 minutes I don’t see how a DAS will help. You still have to wait in the lightening lane and then actually ride the attraction.

If you’re using the bathroom every 15 minutes I don’t see how a DAS will help. You still have to wait in the lightening lane and then actually ride the attraction.

They didn't say every 15 minutes. They said 3-4 times an hour. As an IBS sufferer, I get what they mean. Sometimes I use the bathroom, leave and have to turn around and go right back in. I can use the bathroom 3 times in a 15 minute block and then be good for a hour or more. But it's unpredictable.

DAS times have no end time. IBS can come and go, meaning you need to go every 15 minutes for 3 hours, then for 2 hours straight you might be fine.

DAS sounds like the perfect accommodation for her as she cannot wait in long lines consistently but will have periods she is able to and they can return when her condition is most manageable.

She cannot control her IBS anymore than an autistic person can control their meltdowns, but just like an autistic person, they are not always in a meltdown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter