Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

Since I've followed this thread from the beginning, I just want to report that I was able to renew my DAS just this morning for an upcoming trip with similar issues as the OP. I explained my concerns with waiting in line just like I always do when asked. I did NOT tell them a diagnosis because they specifically said not to.

As far as advanced reservations, I did not make any this time. We often don't use them because we leave the parks early for a long afternoon break and the times just don't work for us or we're at the opposite side of a park during our window. It is a benefit and a carrot for some schemers, though, that's for sure. I really think most people with issues that DAS covers are not spending all day in the parks and going commando style. DAS allows us to get on rides we couldn't access before because of disabilities. It levels our playing field, as has been repeatedly stated above.

Just an FYI for DL vs WDW….. I’ve only used DAS once, at WDW. I had no trouble getting it at a blue umbrella, and in fact the lady said that my issue is exactly what the DAS is for. That was a year and a half ago. We have a DL trip coming up next week, and I did the online registration for my DAS. (Side note….I got in the queue online at 2:40 central time and only had to wait about 30 minutes). She almost didn’t give it to me, as she said DL doesn’t issue it for the same things WDW does as the park is set up differently (more access to bathrooms, according to her). After more talking, she did give it to me, but I wanted to pass that along. I hadn’t heard that specifically before.

Len Testa’s podcast today discussed how DAS usage is at an all time high (cast member quote that at times 4 out of 5 people in line are DAS). He speculated that there could be changes coming. Disney being tougher during interviews makes sense.

Len Testa’s podcast today discussed how DAS usage is at an all time high (cast member quote that at times 4 out of 5 people in line are DAS). He speculated that there could be changes coming. Disney being tougher during interviews makes sense.
I'm not surprised that DAS usage is higher. I personally know a few people, and have heard of many more online, who used to be able to manage their needs with Fastpass and then Fastpass+, and chose not to go to the trouble of applying for DAS. They started using DAS when the only other alternative became paying for Genie+/Lightning Lane.

I'm not surprised that DAS usage is higher. I personally know a few people, and have heard of many more online, who used to be able to manage their needs with Fastpass and then Fastpass+, and chose not to go to the trouble of applying for DAS. They started using DAS when the only other alternative became paying for Genie+/Lightning Lane.
I would be one of the above, except my symptoms have been getting worse over the years and I'm not sure even DAS is going to make the trip doable next month for me. :( I'm just grateful that with DAS I can do some things, at least.

FP+ was a HUGE help and was our primary tool for DS. Losing that was quite the blow. We now get DAS but it really has reduced our experience. We have gotten G+ a few times and paid for $ILL .... but when you have to sometimes adjust your days, that is money lost not by choice.

We have just reduced our expectations and that is hard because DS does not understand. Still thankful DAS is a thing but I'd like to see it become less attractive.

This would be me, too. We got by just fine when we could get fastpasses and we used the DAS first time in 2015 for my autistic children. Didn't even know such a thing existed for the first 10 years of traveling to Disney! First trip using DAS for myself, though, was Aug 21 when just DH and I went for a few days (teens were with us, but stayed in the hotel for half of that trips, lol). I had to leave the line multiple times during that trip and stopped even getting in any lines that were longer than 20 mins. After about 5 days into our 8 day trip, where I was spending most of my time by a bathroom, I asked for one. We then went back shortly after Genie came into existence. Tried again just using genie+/lightning lane, but the system was so cumbersome and expensive and there no guarantees to be able to ride anything because stuff was selling out so fast.

Most of the time we got by just fine without the DAS until recent years. I tried genie+ and it simply did not work for us. Also my condition has worsened which also hasn’t helped. We buy express at universal and get along just fine with that. I have never even had to consider their version of DAS. We rope dropped the few rides that express didn’t cover and that was manageable. If there was comparable service at Disney I would do the same. I hate having to deal with getting DAS but it honestly is the only realistic way to have a decent trip.

When Disneyland introduced MaxPass, DH would only get a DAS if he wanted to ride rides that didn't have FP, we even paid to add MaxPass to our passes because it was that much more convenient. And on the rare occasions we missed a return time due to his issues, they were always willing to accommodate in some manner.

The problem with Genie+ is it is once per attraction per day.

When Disneyland introduced MaxPass, DH would only get a DAS if he wanted to ride rides that didn't have FP, we even paid to add MaxPass to our passes because it was that much more convenient. And on the rare occasions we missed a return time due to his issues, they were always willing to accommodate in some manner.

The problem with Genie+ is it is once per attraction per day.
Maxpass was great and we used that in combo. Since G+ we haven't used that once. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter