Credit Where Credit Is Due

C

Captain Crook

With the recent addition of WWTBAM, to be called Millionaire from here on, I was wondering why my friends here on the DIS seem so reluctant to give Eisner & Disney Management credit for creating a new groundbreaking interactive attraction that is a lot of fun, a welcome addition to The Studios and seemingly quite popular with the guests.

Here on the DIS the comment Millionaire most often generates is that it's too cheap, too promotional or just too Eisner.

Can't it be great without costing a fortune or breaking new technological ground? Shouldn't the Studios particularily be a Showcase for Disney sponsored entertainment? Shouldn't Epcot look to breakthrough with other high tech interactive attractions?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

... more in line with Captains and Pirates, "Any old port in a storm"!!

Time for a story:
My son call me on Friday. He told that he got a 95 on his spelling test that morning. We had spent the better part of Thursday night studying for it. Later that afternoon, his teacher called my wife. She said that my son did not know his times tables well enough, his book reports were virtually nonexistent and his social studies skills were abysmal (although he can point out Florida on a map). In short he was in danger of failing the fourth grade!!

Later that evening when we were discussing school matters and the possibility of repeating grade 4, my loving son turned to me and reminded me that he got a 95 on his spelling test.

So, OK!!! We'll give him (Ei$ner) a passing grade on his spelling test. But he's still failing the fourth grade!!!!

What about Indiana Jones and the Temple of the forbidden eye?

A+

How about splash mountain

A

How about Alien Encounter?

B-

how about Star Tours?

A++

etc etc etc.

He's not so much failing the fourth grade, unless by fourth grade you mean he's failing CEO 401 for the year 2000-2001

Dittos to the Captain & YoHo.

DVC - With all humble respect, there is a line from that great movie "Kelly's Heroes" that I think of when I read the majority of your posts..............

I keep getting this picture of Donald Sutherland looking out the top of his tank turret and saying. "Negative waves, always with the negative waves, man......";)

I am planning a trip to the Disney World and I am hoping someone can help me out -- I had heard there is a new kind of fast pass that will help you plan your day at the park -- has anyone heard of this -- it would be like an enhanced version of FastPass.

I tried posting this earlier so this may be a duplicate -- if so I apologize for the duplication.

Any information would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

JimB.

Did you miss my "State of the Parks Address"?

I can re-post it.

Don't confuse my disgust with the current management team with my enjoyment and magical take of the parks.

I only fear for the future!!! (Hmmm. I just realized we don't have a "worried" smilie. We need one!!!! In the mean time I'll just use this one:crazy: ) It fits the mood I'm in!!!

;) :jester: :jester: ;)

How's this one?
heh.gif
or
crazy.gif
...I share your opinion...Right now watching the Disney company is like watching a car crash in slow motion...

I think the second smilie face fits! LOL. I generally love your comments Swingevilmike, I just wish we agreed once in awhile!

While I appreciate your take on DCA and understand your opinions on the direction the Parks are moving, it seems inaccurate to describe it as the 'slow motion accident' (I'll use my own analogy!)... After all where have the wheels actually fallen off? I've seen numerous incidents of flat tires (jiyi?), and maybe even a blowout or two (DCA?), but no evidence of anything that would cripple the car forever!

Further, as I stated when opening the thread, the good things done like Millionaire, AKL or even Soarin' seem to get little credit...

Now, Landbaron's bound to have an analogy to share...Anyone else?

Right there with you, Cap'n!

Personally, I don't think what's going on with WDC fits any analogy. I can't think of a single other instance where people feel that a corporation is part of their family. I think that's why we all get so passionate. Some feel as if they have been let down by a favorite relative, and some feel as if a favorite relative is being wrongly attacked.

Hey, did I just make an analogy?
Silly me...
:D

No doubt there are some GREAT attractions that came during Eisner's term - though didn't they really come from the imagineers? I am new to this, so maybe it's possible Eisner designed or suggested some of them. Anyway isn't it likely that there are several other attractions or ideas that never materialized - maybe for sound budget reasons but also maybe just due to some bad decisions or lack of vision?

I just wish that whatever the next park is, it is a clear cut, unconditional winner without any reservations or debate. That's all it would take to get me to stop suggesting something is wrong - just go out and make the third gate at the DL Resort "pure Disney".

Nice analogy Dave!

ww52, something you've missed (in the past) is our agreement regarding Eisner's accomplishments. Most of us agree that if he is to be villified for every wrong or transgression he should get credit for every right or positive move. We all know that neither is true but arguing these items case by case is minutia even most of us don't want to delve into!;)

And, ww52 you state:
I just hope that whatever the next park is, it is a clear cut, unconditional winner without any reservations or debate.

Now this sounds fine, but let me ask you this. What if Disney suddenly greenlights BK at AK and say, TOT & Armageddon at DCA...Would the completing of these Parks, after the fact, mollify you? Or do you still think a Park must be true to its future at inception?

Captain - BK woudl probably do it for AK (assuming it wasn't done too cheaply). That defines my disappointment in AK, especially since the original logo included the BK element in it. It was part of the vision and then dropped.

Regarding DCA - adding ToT and Armageddon would certainly bring up the quality - but I would wonder if those moves were part of a vision or a "fix" added under the duress of low attendance? To me, there's a difference.

I will give Eisner credit for his accomplishements - and foremost I think the Disney Channel is where I would focus. Anything that can pull my teenage daughter from the junk on MTV is a success to me. The Zoog-Disney programming hits a positive chord with her, and I applaud that strongly.

I've seen numerous incidents of flat tires (jiyi?), and maybe even a blowout or two (DCA?), but no evidence of anything that would cripple the car forever!

The problem is all of those little nicks and bumps add up...

To keep the car analogy running....if the mechanic can't fix the flats (and avoid the blowouts) how long do you keep going to the same mechanic?

Maybe Disney should stop buying Tires from Firestone. :crazy:

I agree with Horizonsfan, there is no good analogy.

I agree with Horizonsfan, there is no good analogy.
And I dissagree!! (surprise, surprise!!) I think that HorizonsFan came up with the perfect analogy.
I can't think of a single other instance where people feel that a corporation is part of their family.
And of course I cannot be certain, but I feel most people on these boards would also agree. So….

… So. It seems to me that since you cannot think of any other company thought of in this regard, Disney is truly unique. Different. Special. And as such, shouldn't their business decisions be based on strengthening this concept rather than diluting it? In other words, those sound business practices that work so well with other companies, may not be quite right for Disney. If we can agree on that principle (the very principle that Walt founded the company on, both Studios and Parks) then we can continue these conversations with some sort of common ground. I cannot, for the life of me, understand true Disney aficionados and dedicated fans that expect nothing more from Disney than ordinary business practices. It is that "something more" that caused us to book mark this site in the first place. If Walt had employed "ordinary business practices" and listened to those "sharp-pencil-guys" we would have no Disneyland by which to set our standard. Why do we expect anything less today? Why is the bar so low?
To keep the car analogy running....if the mechanic can't fix the flats (and avoid the blowouts) how long do you keep going to the same mechanic?
HBK!! Perfect!! Can we have a show of hands for analogy #2?!!:cool:

Landbaron, perhaps we can find more common ground...sorta!;)

I can buy Horizon Dave's premise that Disney IS unlike any other Company in that we all feel like part of it, or family if you must. Further, I can agree with you that being such an unusual type Company it certainly would be prudent to direct the Company with that idium in mind.

You state:
I cannot, for the life of me, understand true Disney afecianados and dedicated fans that expect nothing more from Disney than ordinary business practices.

I assume I am one of the leading candidates in whose direction this statement was hurled and I respond by saying it isn't that I "expect nothing more", I don't. I expect much the same as you and my ridiculous temper tantrum over the Tiger Woods incident should have shown that. But I apparantely can accept ordinary business practices more readily than you (knowing that Disney is not really my family but a conglomerate).

Now I feel Disney has operated in an above average manner to these ends...Certainly no A+ material, but better than average. I am concerned with some of the possible troubled waters, but so far the Magic has not eroded.

Your serve McEnroe!

To keep one’s sanity, it is important to learn from the ironies of life…

Two days ago, after walking past California Adventures’ unused ‘Light, Camera, Action’ stage, walking past the deserted waiting area for ‘Superstar Limo’, walking past the exact copy of ‘Muppets 3D’, and walking past the vast empty asphalt slab that was to have housed either ‘Armageddon’ or ‘Millionaire’ – I stepped into the shop attached to Animation exhibits.

On a table in the back of the shop was a book titled ‘The Quotable Walt Disney’. After reading a few passages about always exceeding the guests expectations, about how money was nothing but a tool to build your dreams with, about how quality is more important than anything else, I left the store to experience the rest of Disney’s theme park of the twenty-first century.

Just outside the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, the ‘Eureka’ parade was stepping down the Performance Corridor. Right before me, I watched an Asian man –- to celebrate California’s tremendous Pacific heritage -- dressed like a giant box of Chinese take-out food, with egg rolls for legs and a giant shrimp for a hat and twirling oversized chop sticks.

I went back and bought the book just to remind myself how precious genius is and how difficult is the fight against the mediocre.

Thanks for the book selection. I'm going to hunt down a copy for myself. The others on this site may hold you responsible though. Your giving me the title of the book is like handing a loaded gun to a madman! (lol) Thanks again.
I went back and bought the book just to remind myself how precious genius is and how difficult is the fight against the mediocre.
Beautiful!!

The hardest part for me is understanding why so many people insist on fighting _for_ the mediocre, explaining away the steady erosion of quality and innovation as a part of doing business, even desirable if it saves a few pennies that will show up as profit.

Perhaps I'm simply in a very bad place right now (some of you may have noticed my other posts complaining about Disney shortening their official park hours, canceling six nights a week worth of the late showing of Fantasmic!, and the abrupt end of the Artist Point character breakfast, all of which occured within the past month and _long_ after I'd made plans and PS. Disney still has not condescended to call me about my PS for the deceased breakfast), but I've just about had it with Disney.

The Magical place where the most important thing is the guest's experience died a long time ago, I realize that now.

I told Suzy about the Artist Point termination yesterday, just the most recent in a series of last-minute disappointments Disney has dealt to our long since planned and paid-for honeymoon. That breakfast was her favorite, and has been a high point of our trips for years. She ended up in tears, her last words on the subject were "I don't even want to go, anymore."

All you shareholders happy yet?

Jeff

I'm sorry to here that Jeff, I won't belittle things by attempting to excuse Disney.

On to happier matters,

Landbaron, the thought of that book in your hands frightens me to my very soul.
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter