Cookies from cake mixes! Also: BISCOTTI, BARS, CUPS & POPS

Here's an interesting idea!

Waffle cookies

65e80964.jpg

Take any of your favorite cake mix cookie doughs. Chill for 20 minutes to make them easier to shape. Shape them into flat patties of squares, diamonds, or triangles shapes. Or use a spoon to scoop the dough for round shapes. Drop onto the hot waffle iron onto the sections. Close cover. Cook 90 seconds per waffle. Carefully remove the hot waffle from the iron with a spatula to a cooling rack.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.
Or decorate with frosting and sprinkles when cool. :goodvibes

I think Bisquick is our version of sifted, self-rising flour.

Bisquick has more added than just baking powder - it must have some fat in as well as the recipe on the Bisquick box just has 250g (half a pack) Bisquick, 50g caster sugar and 150ml milk. If you use Bisquick instead of flour, (but keep the other ingerdients the same) because of this added fat it could make your scones heavy (they would be more like pastry - shortcrust pastry would be 8oz flour 4 oz butter)

If you can't get self-raising flour, add 4t of baking powder (NOT baking soda - bicarbonate of soda) to 225g/8oz plain (all-purpose) flour and you should get the same result.:thumbsup2

Just made my cookies from cake mix for the first time.....awesome. I just found this thread yesterday and I am so glad I did. Thanks!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

a544fa6b.jpg

Make white or yellow cake mix cookies as in the first post,
plus for the add-ins:
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
6 drops green food color
1 cup creme de menthe (mint) baking chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

FYI: I've also added a couple variations to the Gooey Butter cookies,
back one page, in post #172.

I made the brownie macaroon cookies and they were AWESOME:worship: I used a Betty Crocker mix with a part-pack of choc chips and some coconut which had been in the cupboard for.... lets say "a while":rolleyes1 I added an extra T of oil and one or two of water as it was really dry (possibly works better with fresher coconut;) ). They looked a bit like a bushtucker trial, with the bits of coconut sticking out, but they smelt amazing and were demolished PDQ! I made 3 dozen (using a Pampered Chef small scoop as I don't do icky hands:rolleyes: ) and I think there are 5 left. DH said "don't bother making Christmas cake this year just loads of these":rotfl:

Quick questions....

1) Anyone ever made cut out cookies with the cake recipe? I was going to make orange cookies for Thanksgiving in "leaf" shapes and decorate them with melted chocolate chips?

2) When you use the chocolate cake mix for say, the crinkle cookies with powdered sugar, do you use oil, butter or butter crisco? wondering what preferences are? When I make toll house chocolate chip cookies from scratch, I prefer to use butter crisco, but wondering how butter w/the chocolate will be?

I made cake mix cookies for the first time yesterday using the Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix. I used butter instead of oil and they were so good. I added brown sugar icing and they tasted like cookies my grandmother made when I was little. They took quite a bit longer than the 7-10 minutes the recipe on page 1 says. It was more like 14 minutes. I talked to my daughter about it and she says when she maked the cookies with the FunFetti cake mix and oil, they cook up quickly and she has to watch them closely. I wonder if the butter makes them cook slower? :confused3

Mine take at least 15 mins as well. But I'm used to cookies which are stiffer when hot, so I sometimes leave them a bit long;)

Here's an interesting idea!

Waffle cookies

65e80964.jpg

Take any of your favorite cake mix cookie doughs. Chill for 20 minutes to make them easier to shape. Shape them into flat squares, diamonds, triangles. Or use a spoon to scoop the dough. Drop onto the hot waffle iron onto the sections. Close cover. Cook 90 seconds per waffle. Carefully remove the hot waffle from the iron with a spatula to a cooling rack.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.
Or decorate with frosting and sprinkles when cool. :goodvibes

these look yummy. i might have to give them a try!

Looking for mix in ideas for a pouch of Sugar Cookie mix (betty crocker). I really don't want to do just drop or cut outs, but I can't think of anything to mix into the dough? Any tried & true ideas? These are for a plate of cookies I take to the office staff at DD's school and dance school?

can't beat choc chips;) Or soak some fruit in alcohol (OK fruit juice if you don't drink) before mixing in:thumbsup2

Looking for mix in ideas for a pouch of Sugar Cookie mix (betty crocker). I really don't want to do just drop or cut outs, but I can't think of anything to mix into the dough? Any tried & true ideas? These are for a plate of cookies I take to the office staff at DD's school and dance school?

Any of the add-ins on this thread where it says yellow cake mix or white cake mix would work wonderfully. :thumbsup2

CRANBERRY CRISPS
These are really really easy and everyone loves them.

1 (15oz) pkg. Pillsbury® Cranberry Quick Bread & Muffin Mix
1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
2/3 cup butter or margarine melted
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar

Heat oven to 350F. In large bowl, combine quick bread mix, walnuts, butter and egg, mix well. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With glass dipped in sugar, press each to 1/8 inch thickness.

Bake at 350F for 7 - 10 minutes or until light golden brown around edges. Remove from cookie sheets.
2 1/2 dozen cookies

High altitude (above 3500 ft) No change

I made these last year but I was afraid to put in that can of cranberries. I thought it would be too tart and too much liquid. I ended up saving that for another use and put in a handful of craisins instead. I also put in a bit of orange zest. They were delish!

Oh great and powerful cake mix cookie makers, I need help! Please!

I found this thread a month or so ago and quickly became addicted to the idea of cake mix cookies. I have now made 3 or 4 different batches of cake mix cookies and they have all been really thin and as hard as rocks!

I've toyed with the temperature, bake time, I even checked the calibration on my oven and every single pan of cookies, once cooled, becomes something that could easily be substituted as a skeet.

I have been using Duncan Hines butter recipe cake mix, 1/2 a cup of softened or melted margerine (I have tried both) and 2 large eggs. I portion them with a 1 Tbsp mini scoop and do not flatten the balls at all.

Any advice?

Jenny, three things I suggest: switch to vegetable oil or use butter. I've read seasoned cooks swear never use margarine in baking. Some margarine brands are awful for baking.

Second, if you over mix a batter, it will deflate. Just mix enough until it is just blended together. Over-mixing flour products also creates gluten, which makes them though and chewy.

Third, you are using a mini scoop, so your cookies are much smaller. You really need to adjust the baking time by a few to several minutes as the mini cookies bake up more quickly. Try purposely under baking a batch. They really sound like they are baking way too long. Plus, they keep baking for a few minutes on the baking sheet even after you take them out of the oven as the sheet retains heat.

Also, when you store the cookies, add a slice of bread to the container. The bread keeps the cookies moist. :thumbsup2

Good luck! :santa:

Cookie balls, Cake balls and Cookie pops:

Here is a pictorial of making cookie balls:

CakeBalls_Article2_v2_02_zps15284d4e.jpg

(Picture from: http://www.acornadvisors.com/CooksWares/Finished_E-News/CW_Cupcakes.html)

Here is the basic recipe:

•For cake pops: Any cake mix, any flavor, baked according to regular cake directions.
For cookie pops: you can make any of the cake mix cookies, as usual, (or use up leftovers.) Crush up the cookies in a food processor. (You want a crumb, not a powder.) Or place the cookies in a resealable plastic storage bag and crush with a rolling pin or have your kid stomp on the bag. :teeth:

•Half of a (16 oz) can of frosting, any flavor. Or 1/2-3/4 cup homemade frosting (Cream Cheese or chocolate frosting are great)

•1 package of chocolate chips or some chocolate bars or a candy coating that hardens when cooled (white or chocolate)

• Optional: Sprinkles, chopped nuts, or coconut, melted caramel, other decorative candies.
Lollipop sticks to make pops if desired.

Follow the directions in the Claudia1's quote below. Thanks Claudia1! :goodvibes

red_velvet_cake_balls.jpg

Bake cake mix according to the directions on the package. [Or make cake mix cookies.] I made 2 round pans and froze the extra cake for another time. Let the cake cool completely.

Once cooled, crumble one cake into small crumbs. (Note: you may be forced to eat the edges if they don't crumble well..... yes.... just another sacrifice we make for the holidays.....;) )

Mix in 1/2 can of cream cheese frosting until it is like a soft dough.

This is the only hard part. Roll into meat-ball sized balls and let sit on a wax paper. They will be sticky and you will have to wash your hands frequently. Refrigerate. Let sit for 2-3 hours or so until they start to get a little crusty to hold their shape.

Melt about 1 pound of white dipping chocolate. Dip the cake balls in the chocolate and let set. For decoration, I grated a few white chocolate wafers to resemble snow and then sprinkled then on the wet chocolate to look like snow balls.

One cake made about 25 balls for me.

Just another way to have your cake and eat it, too, at Christmas!

(From this thread discussing them on the Community Board: :goodvibes
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611775

They aren't "cookies" anymore, but they are a great way to use up those cake mixes in a new, fun and easy way! :yay:

a70ee26f.jpg

b788e0b7.jpg

Attaching the chocolate disc ears before dipping chocolate.
Directions to make these: http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-recipes/

15126fa1.jpg

Here are yummy variations of cookie/cake pops:
Try a lemon cookie with white chocolate chips, crushed, mixed with lemon frosting or cream cheese frosting and covered with white chocolate and crushed lemon drop candies for decoration.

Make a peanut butter, chocolate chip cookie HERE, (add in chocolate chips,) crushed into a pop, covered with dark chocolate and sprinkled with more chopped nuts. Or, try a chocolate cookie with peanut butter chips, covered with chocolate & sprinkled with more chopped nuts or white chocolate.

ce498312.jpg
eccf11b6.jpg

A chocolate fudge cookie ball covered white chocolate. Chocolate cake pop with sprinkles.

097c8e86.jpg
aaaa27fa.jpg

Fudge Cookie Cups:

7583f77e-2.jpg
c502e1b7-1.jpg

Cookie cup:
Make a basic chocolate or yellow cake mix cookie dough according to the directions in the first post of this thread. This dough will be for the cookie cups instead of flat cookies.

Pre-heat oven to 350°F.

Spray 24 mini muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, or grease with shortening or butter. Divide cookie dough into 24 balls. Press down 1 ball in bottom and up side of each mini muffin cup, forming 1/4-inch rim above top of cup (sprinkle fingers with flour if necessary, or leave a little cake mix aside for this). Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. With tip of handle of wooden spoon, press dough down in center of each cup to make room for about 2 tablespoons filling. Or, you can also try dropping the muffin pans down hard on the counter, a couple of times, right out of the oven. The middles will sink. Cool in pans on cooling racks 5 minutes.

Fudge Filling:
1 (12-ounce) package of baking chips (any flavor: see below)
1 (16-ounce) can Pillsbury* frosting, any flavor (NOT WHIPPED.) *Pillsbury stays softer than B. Crocker, for a soft center
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Toppings, (optional,) your choice: chopped nuts, or crushed granola bars, crumbled graham crackers, sprinkles.

Try extra chips sprinkled on. Place back in oven for a minute or two so the chips will soften, yet retain their shape.) See right picture above.

Or, you can also add on a dollop of fruit preserves, like strawberry, raspberry, orange marmalade, lemon curd, to get a nice, layered fudge & fruit cookie cup.

Directions:
Put one 12 ounce bag of any flavor baking chips in a glass bowl, spread them out so that they are not all in the middle of the bowl and they will melt easier. Cook in microwave for 1½ minutes. Take out and stir, then stir in one can frosting, stir really well and put back in microwave and cook for 1½ minutes. Take out, add 1 teaspoon vanilla and pinch of salt, and stir. Optional: add in nuts.

Drop by spoonfuls into the cookie cups. If fudge cools too much, heat for a few seconds in microwave oven again.

Chips and canned frosting combinations: :idea:
(Any of these will also make a great, easy fudge. Just pour into a greased pan and let set.)
:love:

• Chocolate chips + chocolate frosting (this is for the die-hard chocolate-lovers)
• Chocolate chips + vanilla frosting (not as chocolately)
• Chocolate chips + chocolate fudge icing + pecans
• Chocolate chips + Cream Cheese frosting + chopped Macadamia nuts
• Dark chocolate chips + coconut pecan frosting (tastes like a Mounds bar.)
• Dark chocolate chips + coconut pecan frosting + chopped almond (tastes like an Almond Joy.)
• Milk chocolate chips + coconut pecan frosting (call it German Chocolate Fudge.)
• Caramel chips + chocolate frosting
• Mint chocolate chips + chocolate frosting (tastes like Andes mint.)
• Cherry chips + chocolate frosting (tastes like a chocolate covered cherry.)
• Cherry chips + White Chocolate Almond frosting. Top with toasted pecans.
• Butterscotch chips + coconut pecan frosting + any dry chopped fruit

• Vanilla chips + any flavor frosting
• Vanilla frosting + any flavor chips
• Vanilla frosting + peanut butter chips. Sprinkle crushed granola bars over top of each.
• Vanilla or white chocolate chips + white frosting + handful coconut and slivered almonds.

• White chocolate chip + cream cheese frosting and chop up red cherries and green ones for Christmas. You will need to drain the cherries very well and put them on a couple of paper towels to get the last drop of liquid out of them. Call this fudge Christmas Fudge Cup. :santa:

• Peanut Butter chips + chocolate frosting (tastes like Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.)
Make this in a peanut butter cookie cup. Recipe HERE.

• Lemon Fudge:
lemon frosting + vanilla chips +
Crushed lemon drops or grated lemon peel sprinkled on top
Lemon lovers: Try making this with a lemon (cake mix) cookie cup instead of yellow cake mix.

• Toffee Butterscotch Fudge:
butterscotch chips + Caramel Pecan Frosting
+ 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
+ 1/2 cup toffee bits or chopped Heath bar
Leave some nuts & toffee to sprinkle on top

• Rocky Road Cookie Cups:
Spoon in fudge. Top with a mixture of mini marshmallows, chocolate morsels and chopped nuts or crumbled graham crackers. Place in oven for a couple minutes. The heat will soften them slightly, yet they retain their shape. Pictured below.

794dcd8d.jpg

More Cookie Cup ideas:

38956fd6.jpg

Cheesecake Cookie Cups

Cookie cup:
Make a chocolate chip cookie dough, according to the directions in the first post of this thread.

PREHEAT oven to 325° F. Paper-line 24 (regular size) muffin cups. Place one scoop of cookie dough in each muffin cup.

BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookie has spread to edge of cup.

CHEESECAKE FILLING:

2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated milk)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling or strawberry topping or preserves

BEAT cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla extract in medium bowl until smooth. Pour about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture over each cookie in cup.

BAKE for additional 15 to 18 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Top each with level tablespoon of pie filling. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cookie Cups
These have a creamy center instead of fudge.

04cb9092.jpg

Cookie cup:
Make a yellow cake mix or chocolate chip cookie dough, according to the directions in the first post of this thread.

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Heavily grease 36 mini-muffin cups.

Roll rounded teaspoon dough into ball; press onto bottom and halfway up side of muffin cup. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 5 chips of peanut butter chips and chocolate chips of in each cup.

FILLING:

2 large eggs
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups total of Peanut Butter chips & Milk Chocolate chips

BEAT eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Spoon into muffin cups, filling almost to the top of each cup.

BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until centers are puffed and edges are just beginning to brown. Remove from oven to wire rack(s). Gently run knife around edges of cookies. Let centers flatten. While still warm, top cookies with half of remaining morsels (they will soften and retain their shape). Repeat with remaining morsels. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. With tip of knife, release cookies from cups.

The two above (modified) recipes courtesy of NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Butter Pecan Cherry Cups

c99f70d4.jpg

Cookie cup:
Make a Butter Pecan cookie dough, according to the directions in the first post of this thread. Mix in 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped.

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Heavily grease 36 mini-muffin cups.

Roll rounded teaspoon dough into ball; press onto bottom and halfway up side of muffin cup. Repeat with remaining dough.

Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Drop the muffin pans down hard on the counter, a couple of times, right out of the oven. The middles will sink. Cool in pan on cooling rack 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of cookie to loosen; cool 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from muffin cups; place on cooling rack to cool.

Spoon cherry preserves into each cooled cup.

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
4 to 5 teaspoons milk
Powdered sugar, if desired

In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency; blend until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; let stand until set, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Alternate cookie combo: chocolate cookie cup with raspberry preserves. Use vanilla extract instead for the icing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mini Ice Cream Cookie Cups

4df2d606.jpg
2dcc28a7.jpg
0dbd4fd0.jpg

Just make any flavor cookie cups and fill with ice cream & toppings. Better than plain cones!

Cookie Mix in a Jar

c8784748.jpg

Put your favorite cake mix cookie mixes in a jar. These are such an easy gift. :thumbsup2 Since you can use any flavor cake mix and different add-ins, you can make up completely different cookie mixes in each jar. If you don't tell anyone that the base is a cake mix, they'll think you did a lot of work. ;)

Make sure you only put 1 whole box of cake mix and add-ins in each jar. Otherwise, the measurements won't be correct when they add in the eggs & oil.

You can get decorative glass jars and mason jars at dollar stores, hardware stores, or buy a few jars Classico pasta sauces. Toss the sauce in freezer bags and freeze, so you can use later.

Remember to include directions to add the egg and oil or butter to the mix, plus baking directions, on a cute card, tag or jar label.

CookieMixJars.jpg
ee613ab1.jpg

Egg-less Cake Mix Cookies

Cake mix cookies you can make WITHOUT EGGS!!

1 Box Cake Mix (any flavor - check label to make sure there isn't already an egg warning.)

1/2 C Oil

1.5 Tbsp Baking Soda

1.5 Tbsp Vinegar

Milk as needed

Any add-ins you want (as in the first post)

Throw it all in a bowl and mix it up to the consistency where you can roll the dough into 1-inch balls and bake on a cookie sheet until lightly browned at 350 degrees.

If you want thinner, chewier cookies- you can thin out the dough and drop by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. I used milk to do this and mine turned out super chewy.

The regular recipe uses 2 eggs and 1/3 C oil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter