Contemporary Resort Rumor Confirmed

ddave said:
They are not charged for internal IP addresses on their private network (ie: 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*. (Same concept as you putting in a Wireless/wired Router at home and and using multiple computers with your ISP). So, my opinion is that is should be a perk for guests staying on site.

Time Warner Residential RR did charge $10 a month for each addt'l computer registered tho I had heard they gave up on that. Having worked hotel AP (accounts payable) I've paid bills for internet use tho they've only show X number of IPs assigned which I then matched to the charges posted to the rooms to make sure we charged the same number we're paying for- and no the numbers never matched -

Bandwidth for corporate use vs bandwidth for all of Disney property free of charge? Free internet use for an area the size of Manhatten? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I really do believe that costs them something - tho less than what they are charging.

We were told Disney decided to outsource the highspeed at the resorts to keep it seperate from their corporate accounts.

I am surprised at the amount of skepticism surrounding this information. It came from a CM - it must be 100% factual.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

These rumor mills are great! Keep 'em coming!

abner1776 said:
Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.

I understand where are you are coming from and that is your perspective. I personally don't associate stress with my laptop-- it is a very convenient tool I use daily, for leisure as well as work, although I don't work on vacations. I enjoy having a hook-up in my room, do read my preferred daily paper, to look up menus on All Ears, to upload vacation photos, to deal with any airline confirmations and changes that might come up; to let kids play games during downtime, whatever. That's not to say I necessarily believe the service should be free-- I have long said a nice compromise might be a weekly fee for those who want to connect every day, like $25 or $40 or something-- at least until the initial costs of wiring can be recouped. But I just wanted to point out that more and more, laptops and internet connections are not necessarily something that means bringing your work on vacation, it's just a lifestyle tool that many of us enjoy.

gammieatwdw said:
Boy, I sure hope that "rumor" is true. I haven't been a member for all that long but I'd be first in line for the CRV. Lets keep our fingers crossed but until it is sure we have to just think this is speculation. Why would DVC let this slip? It could hurt sales at SSR.

Maybe, just maybe, some of the rumors from doom and gloom posters are not true and SSR is right on track for sales or not as bad as some would like everyone to believe. :rolleyes:

I have already called and notified our guide that if or when CR DVC happens to please call ASAP so we could purchase 500 points immediately. :cool1:

Eagle Pines was more than a rumor. I'm sure DVC is working on plans for the Contemporary, as well as other possible projects.

Until we see some confirmation from Disney the report may be a little more than a rumor but not much more.

abner1776 said:
Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.

While I see your point of view in regards to vacations not being jumbled with cellphones and laptops I have a different point of view. When I am lucky enough to have my dh willing to spend 2 weeks at WDW I also know that he has to work part of the time to guarantee that we will always have the luxury, and disposable income of spending lots of time on vacations every year. Having internet service whether free or charged is a must for him. I'm sure not everyone feels this way but it works for us.

I hope they do give us free internet access. Then I can do live trip reports and keep up to date with my emails! :cool1: Also hope DVC comes to Contemporary. :goodvibes

I am a new member (just a couple of weeks) but would buy at CR if this became an option. I have not heard anything except for over the internet, and I live/work here. It becomes fact when the company announces it. I am not in the "cone."

I will be waiting for an announcement like everyone else. :sunny:

What is the huge attraction to CR? I assume it is the monorail? The resort it's self, when I stayed there ages ago wasn't anything to write home about.

Certainly until Disney makes an official announcement any talk of the addition to the Contemporary is rumor, but I would say it is a very reliable one.

In fact I really do not consider it to be a doubt as to whether they will build it, but more about when.

Didney Daddy said:
Just to pile on the rumor frenzy. The redevelopment timeline for a project like CR is going to be huge. I would not get too excited about an 06-08 timeline. It is probably 09-11. That leaves a lot of time to sell SSR.

If CRV is going to happen, I believe it will be in the 06-08 timeline. I do not think the 09-11 timeline works. I think that if CRV is going to happen, its going to happen soon or not at all. The reasons are:

1) The CR is currently undergoing a major renovation to modernize it at significant expense.
2) The North Wing can not remain in its current state. The North Wing would need to be re-modelled to remain up to the standards of the rest of the resort.
3) If the North Wing is re-modelled, I do not believe they would offer it to DVC for another 15-20 years. Why go through all the expense so that you can demolish it in 3-5 years.
4) I guess they could always agree to give DVC the North Wing for 09-11 and just board up the wing in the meantime (use as offices or storage). But I think this is unlikely.

This is what I think will happen:

Sometime soon (possibly in the fall), they will announce one of two things:

1) DVC is taking over the North Wing and work will begin right away. Result - rumor confirmed.
2) The North Wing is being re-modelled. Result - The DVC rumor is dead and we will not see a CRV in a long time, if ever.

The one thing to realize is that the decision will not be based solely on DVC's needs, but the resort as a whole. And in that regard, I do not see DVC being in the driver's seat as far as timing is concerned.

twister said:
What is the huge attraction to CR? I assume it is the monorail? The resort it's self, when I stayed there ages ago wasn't anything to write home about.
Disclaimer: I stayed at the CR twice in the early 70's (Easter '73, Summer '74 - one Tower one Wing) with my late parents and twice with DW & DS in the 90's (twice Tower) and have the fondest memories of the old CR. That being said, however, the only real selling point is going to be "Location Location Location". Close to the MK, close to (well, on) the monorail, on the water, etc. Sadly, the resort itself suffers from the same case of "Themus Outdaticus" that felled the original Tomorrowland. The place has all the visual excitement of a 70's-era office complex, and the interior is like an old mall - plus the Convention Center for added suits. When we finally have grandchildren, I'd probably take there to CRV once, but SSR is just fine with us.

IMHO - YMMV

magicmouse2 said:
I hope they do give us free internet access. Then I can do live trip reports and keep up to date with my emails! :cool1: Also hope DVC comes to Contemporary. :goodvibes

Free access is not likely:

Reason 1) Disney wants you OUT of your room spending $$$, not hiding behind a computer screen.

Reason 2) People are going to stay in the Disney resorts regardless of whether they have to pay $10/day for internet or not. Why would Disney give up all that money?

I also don't see the attraction to CR, but each to their own... I happen to like cabins, most don't - LOL.

NJBlackBerry said:
I am surprised at the amount of skepticism surrounding this information. It came from a CM - it must be 100% factual.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

These rumor mills are great! Keep 'em coming!

I can understand you being skeptical, but since this one was confirmed from a relative, I personally believe it to be true. The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

As for the internet access, that is her department as well.

gazeborob said:
I can understand you being skeptical, but since this one was confirmed from a relative, I personally believe it to be true. The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

So what do you make of the announcement Disney made last year saying the South wing was being refurbed along with the tower rooms?

I would love to see a CR DVC. One thing I think would have to work out is the convention space. If they are spending big bucks to remodel the tower, to make the convention space more attractive, then why would they get rid of half the rooms that they can sell for convention space?

On the plus side, I could see the resort using DVC to pay for many of the operations that struggle to be paid now through half empty rooms and dining/bar. CR owners would most likely have to pay in dues upkeep in monorail. Parkinglot upkeep, pool, (a new themed one would have to be built) boats, etc....

gazeborob said:
The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

Probably better not to give any more identifying info, or your source may have some egg on her face.

Rumor-mongering is fun, but until the points go on sale, I don't think folks should get too emotionally invested.

If DVC built a resort at the Contemporary, I would like to stay there... once. I'd like to see what it's like, but I'm more interested in staying at SSR, or one of the other current resorts.

The character of the resort is more important to me than the type of transportation I must take to get to the parks.

I'll play the wait and see game. If it happens I'm sure it will be the quickes sellout of a DVC resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter