Contemporary Resort Rumor Confirmed

gazeborob

I’m accused of being a Disney addict!
Just thought that I would take a minute and fill you all in on what I was told tonight. My wife and I were having Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream with my wife’s Godmother who has been a Castmember for over 35 years. First, I made the comment about the $10 a day for internet access. She said that there are a lot of people on the inside that are trying to make that cost go away. She said it basically cost Disney nothing to have it available. While talking about the BCV’s, I told her that I have heard rumor about the Contemporary being remodeled into a DVC resort. Since she works in an area that would have something to do with the work going on, I think she would know the truth. I was told that YES, THE WINGS ARE BEING CONVERTED TO DVC. Sorry, but that is all I know at this time.

gazeborob said:
Just thought that I would take a minute and fill you all in on what I was told tonight. My wife and I were having Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream with my wife’s Godmother who has been a Castmember for over 35 years. First, I made the comment about the $10 a day for internet access. She said that there are a lot of people on the inside that are trying to make that cost go away. She said it basically cost Disney nothing to have it available. While talking about the BCV’s, I told her that I have heard rumor about the Contemporary being remodeled into a DVC resort. Since she works in an area that would have something to do with the work going on, I think she would know the truth. I was told that YES, THE WINGS ARE BEING CONVERTED TO DVC. Sorry, but that is all I know at this time.
I hope its true. There have been so many threads on this board about that very topic debating whether this would happen. It would be awesome if this happens but I'm going to try not to get my hopes up until DVC makes the official announcement.

I personally believe the rumor is true. But, the question is no matter if it is Contemporary or EP when would they announce? Does it make sense to announce when SSR is at 50%? Would put a big-time crimp in sales!

This has been a rumor for awhile, but we too asked the DVC guide in February and also got the YES it's going to happen answer too. Of course, not until SSR is sold out. THis is WHY the NORTH wing is not being refurbished. The tower and south wing are being fixed up, then the NW is suppose to come down or be remodeled. I can't wait! I would be buying points here!

and I would like to confirm also, that YES.......it is a rumor.

Oh Brother, hasn't there been enough threads on this subject? :sad2:

gazeborob said:

:rotfl2:

Sorry, but she lost me on "it basically cost Disney nothing to have it avaialble" That part is CORRECT, but that's because the provider is paying all the bills.... So Disney didn't finance the infrastructure, doesn't provide support or anything so YES it costs Disney nothing. The users pay the firm that does it all.... So Disney would have to start paying those bills if it was free....

And your title is misleading... unless you would like to post NAME and TITLE of the "source" it's still a RUMOR!

Boy, I sure hope that "rumor" is true. I haven't been a member for all that long but I'd be first in line for the CRV. Lets keep our fingers crossed but until it is sure we have to just think this is speculation. Why would DVC let this slip? It could hurt sales at SSR.

gammieatwdw said:
Boy, I sure hope that "rumor" is true. I haven't been a member for all that long but I'd be first in line for the CRV. Lets keep our fingers crossed but until it is sure we have to just think this is speculation. Why would DVC let this slip? It could hurt sales at SSR.

I'm sure B3 would agree totally with this. But for now, let's just say it's a "confirmed" rumor.

A rumor by any other name is still just a rumor. I would be surprised if DVC would announce anything prior to SSR being sold out. They sure wouldn't do it with SSR only half gone. BTW, we all heard from "reliable sources" that AKL was going to be DVC even when it was already being built. It was just a rumor too, but many said it was a "sure thing"! I for one, would have ZERO interest in a CRV.

Another thought on CRV...Would they announce CRV at a much higher price in hopes of folks buying at SSR for a much lower price knowing they could use points at CR???

gammieatwdw said:

Nice to see another new member weighing in on the subject. pirate:

If I had a dime for rumor we've heard from a CM, that later turned out to have no merit whatsoever, we'd be up to about three bucks now. :cool1: :wave2:

Wings?? As in plural? That doesn't sound too likely.

YACR. (Yet another Contemporary rumor.)

Making the internet fee go away would be nice. But I won't hold my breath for that one, either. ;)

DisFlan

The rumor mill just cracks me up and I LOVE it :love: I almost bought during the F&F incentive but copped out at the last minute. I know I would love DVC ownership but don't like SSR, and OKW, which I LOVE didn't have the longer contract I was looking for.

If CRV became available, I would buy instantly, however much and whatever it took, make my indecision go away. Come on Disney, free my husband from this torturous indecision and give us CRV :teeth:

Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.
As far as the possibility of a CRV... I will pass on it for now until I see what DVC and WDW are going to do with the current property...it needs more than a "rehab" in my mind...the entire property is tired and totally lacks any "pizzaze" or even any Disney magic. The monorail can only overcome so much, but I know that being the only DVC monorail resort, there will not be a shortage of people at the head of the list. It would not surprise me to see people buying just in the hope of turning a profit on a quick resale, which will be too bad, but not unheard of.

Regarding the internet - sorry but Disney most likely does pay some sort of fee for each temporary IP address issued to guests. (or whatever the proper term is) However it mostly likely is less than $9.95 - given the prices I've seen I'd say it's probably $4.99 or so.

If that is the case then I'd like to see DVC owner get charged the base rate and not the rate to turn a profit. :thumbsup2 That seems more reasonable to me.

{I have no actual knowledge of the charges Disney may pay, I've worked in the hotel industry in NC and for cable companies and am basing the previous suggestions on that experience ... disclaimer ended :teeth: }

I have 0 interest inthe Contemporary DVC except that mean I can't use my points (whenever I get them) to stay at a tower room :rolleyes2

magicmommy said:
Another thought on CRV...Would they announce CRV at a much higher price in hopes of folks buying at SSR for a much lower price knowing they could use points at CR???

If SSR is not really selling that well, as some people have speculated, this would definitely be a way to sway people that are on the edge.

Just to pile on the rumor frenzy. The redevelopment timeline for a project like CR is going to be huge. I would not get too excited about an 06-08 timeline. It is probably 09-11. That leaves a lot of time to sell SSR.

flechette said:
Regarding the internet - sorry but Disney most likely does pay some sort of fee for each temporary IP address issued to guests. (or whatever the proper term is) However it mostly likely is less than $9.95 - given the prices I've seen I'd say it's probably $4.99 or so.

If that is the case then I'd like to see DVC owner get charged the base rate and not the rate to turn a profit. :thumbsup2 That seems more reasonable to me.

I'm sure WDW and Disney Corp has a ton of Bandwidth. I'm pretty sure each hotel is connected the corporate network in some way. The only cost to them would be for some wiring into the Villas/Hotels to put in Wireless Access Points. They are not charged for internal IP addresses on their private network (ie: 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*. (Same concept as you putting in a Wireless/wired Router at home and and using multiple computers with your ISP). So, my opinion is that is should be a perk for guests staying on site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter