Confirmed "new kids menu" sightings

From what has been reported elsewhere, this menu is all encompasing for the sit-down restaurants and there is no differentiation between 1TS or 2TS, besides what 'may' be on the alacarte. The biggest issue for us, is that the dining was one of the reasons I pushed for us to have a grand gathering in the first place. If they stick to this thats no longer a good reason to do this and will be the reason we cancel our trip.

I'm bringing a jar of p-nut butter and a loaf of bread for my Miss Picky and ordering what we want. :wave: It is paid for, a good deal and I don't want to stress if she'll eat what is on the menu or not. She'll eat some part of someone's meal and I'll use her leftover credits for a buffet for her later in the trip. I don't want my child to dictate where 11 of us eat every meal. We are doing enough character buffets to cover her wishes and I just want to have fun on our trip!

Momof4girls said:
And for those whose kids want to eat steak and lobster, fabulous - just upgrade them. Or pay out of pocket for that one meal. Are you eating at Coral Reef every day for dinner? Can your kid get by with a dining plan kids' meal and paying a la cart for the lobster bisque on top of it. Is it REALLY going to ruin their vacation - or "take away from the magic" just because they had to eat <gasp> healthy food at ONE restaurant?

Again, then maybe you should eat somewhere else.

Since I mentioned, steak, fish (adults don't even get lobster as a choice), and lobster soup, I take it this is directed at me(if not entirely, at least in part), so here's my response.

My parents are paying for this trip, and did offer to upgrade DD8 even BEFORE the new menus came out. With a 7 day ticket already on our reservations, the upgrade was something like $220. Most of our meals are buffets, so it is not worth upgrading. Plus, portions on the adult plan are way too much for me, let alone DD. Yes, if DD can't have lobster soup, they will pay OOP for her to have it, but they shouldn't have to. And she really doesn't need an adult portion, but the way the new kid's menu is set up, I doubt they'll offer a kid's portion.

I never said I had a problem with the healthy choices, in fact I said DD wouldn't have any problem with them. She'll eat things like mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, etc, but much prefers a meal that has meat, side, and veggie - thus the reason she was looking forward to the fish at Coral Reef. She's a very good eater, in variety and in quantity - And no, she's not overweight. Sweets are a rare treat at home, so a special dessert at wdw is something she looks forward to. It's still unclear as to whether those desserts will still be available to purchase OOP. I definitely never said anything about it ruining our vacation (so maybe those comments are directed elsewhere).

As far as eating somewhere else, Coral Reef is our CP restaurant, and I'm pretty sure it would not be easy to change if we wanted to (which we don't - it's one of our favorites.)

I knew all along that menus were subject to change, but IMO kid's should still be allowed the option of items that the restaurant is known for. We chose WCC because we want to try the skillet. If DD isn't allowed to have the skillet, there's no way that we're going to order it and eat it in front of her. If I get enough notice that the kid's are not allowed to have the skillet, I will try to change the ADR, but I don't think that it will be very easy.

If anyone can confirm what the a la carte choices are at the Brown Derby, I would really appreciate it. I am traveling with my nephew, who has food allergies that preclude his eating some of the items on this new fixed menu. I am curious if I will be able to put something together for him off the a la carte, or if I am going to have to call in advance for a special meal. (I do have the phone number to do this if necessary).Thankfully, HBD is the only place so far that we have adrs at that have switched to this new menu, so hopefully it won't impact our trip too much. The other places we are eating we chose for the availability of multiple items he could eat.

Here's some news about WCC -

On another thread about smoothies/shakes, suzannews (a CM at WCC, who IMO has always posted helpful acurate info) posted that the shakes at WCC are now only allowed as desserts for kids (adults can still have them as either drink or dessert). I then asked her for more info about the kid's menu (particularly the skillet), and here's what she posted:

We have not switched over to the new menu yet but there have been a few changes already. No more PBJ or grilled cheese. The kids meals now come with grapes instead of fries and they are pushing 1% milk, juice or a small bottled water as the drink which are not refillable. Fries and soda are available on request but not automatic anymore. Yes the skillet is still available. A cup of watermelon and small kids salad were added as apps.

We were told the new menu is coming though, they are planning before Thanksgiving. Once that starts, we will still have the skillet and maybe one or two other meals like a burger. At that point, I think the skillet would be the best bet, most kids love corn and mashed potatoes and most will eat the chicken or sausage and a rib or two.

angelmav said:
From what has been reported elsewhere, this menu is all encompasing for the sit-down restaurants and there is no differentiation between 1TS or 2TS, besides what 'may' be on the alacarte. The biggest issue for us, is that the dining was one of the reasons I pushed for us to have a grand gathering in the first place. If they stick to this thats no longer a good reason to do this and will be the reason we cancel our trip.

And that would be patently wrong. There is a difference in the menus for 2TS credit restaurants. I work at one. We have lost an entree (I think, but the 4 most popular are still there). Our most popular kid's desserts are still there. (think chocolate puzzle and ice cream sundae) We have GAINED two kid's appetizers.... a small salad and a fruit bowl. Our entire kid's menu is still ala carte. No plastic Mickey head. That would be absurd at a signature restaurant. Most of our entrees do come with healthier sides, but you can still request the fatty fries for your kids if you want them. In fact, upon request, we'll even be happy to fetch you a set of chicken fingers or a hot dog.

I just called Disney Dining and had a wonderful CM who confirmed that the new menu was rolled out yesterday to all restaurants.

That said, I just got off the phone w/ the Hostess at Coral Reef. While they have a "new" menu, it is really just at this time a tweaked version of their old menu. They never really had fried foods on the menu, so they didn't require such a drastic change. At this time, they still have the lobster soup as a kid appie selection, they offer mahi mahi, cheese pizza, and I know they have pasta w/ either marinara or cheese sauce. They never had a burger and still don't and don't have fries (never did). They now offer juice, water or low fat milk as the drink option, which is fine for us since neither of my DSs drink soda.

Since this is one of our favorite restaurants, I am particularly happy with this news. Now, the hostess said that there is a chance that they will make further changes at the end of the month, so I'm going to call back the Monday before our trip to check again (we arrive on Nov. 4th but don't start the DP until the 5th when we begin our DVC stay).

So I'm pleased with this, since that would mean 3 of our 6 dinners would be fine (CM, 'Ohana and CR). We also are heading to LeCellier, Spoodles and WCC. If the same holds true, I would think that Spoodles might not change too much, since they had a varied selection for kids.

Wanted to give you guys as much info as possible. Might try back again and see if I can connect w/ one of the other restaurants to confirm this too.

Dsis went ahead and called the Brown Derby and talked with the chef. So, I can confirm that the two a la carte items at the HBD are a hot dog and macaroni and cheese. The a la carte desserts have not changed from the old menu. Apps are the soup or vegetable salad.

liamsaunt said:
Dsis went ahead and called the Brown Derby and talked with the chef. So, I can confirm that the two a la carte items at the HBD are a hot dog and macaroni and cheese. The a la carte desserts have not changed from the old menu. Apps are the soup or vegetable salad.

I'm sorry but I can't see how anyone w/ a child on the DDP would want to waste 2 credits for a hot dog or m&c. It sounds like their menu is more limited than Coral Reef, which offers fish, pizza or macaroni w/ choice of sauces. I would suspect that many people will drop BD if they have kids or pay OOP. What a waste of credits.

The only one on my list that I'm currently worried about is Concourse Steakhouse. Anyone have any info on this place???
Kimba

janets said:
I'm sorry but I can't see how anyone w/ a child on the DDP would want to waste 2 credits for a hot dog or m&c. It sounds like their menu is more limited than Coral Reef, which offers fish, pizza or macaroni w/ choice of sauces. I would suspect that many people will drop BD if they have kids or pay OOP. What a waste of credits.

We are not on the dining plan. :)

Kona switched this past weekend. They willing to accomadate and gave him apples as an appetizer before a hamburger and fries for dinner. WE were at Rose and Crown this past weekend as well and they have the new menu but they have a cheese plate in addtion as an appetizer. Prime time has it as well but the are willing to substitute a fried chicken leg and mashed potatoes.

We are headed to Le Cellier in a few minutes. I will give an update when I get back later tonight.

I will say that most servers DO NOT like this menu nor do the restaurant managers and are willing to do what ever the kids want. They understand that kids don't want the same thing day in and day out. So my advice is to just ask and they will more than likely accomadate the kids in your group.

pigletforever said:
WE were at Rose and Crown this past weekend as well and they have the new menu but they have a cheese plate in addtion as an appetizer.

Does this mean no cottage pie or bangers & mash on the children's menu now?!?!?

pigletforever said:
I will say that most servers DO NOT like this menu nor do the restaurant managers and are willing to do what ever the kids want. They understand that kids don't want the same thing day in and day out. So my advice is to just ask and they will more than likely accomadate the kids in your group.

I am sure it's a real headache for the staff at the restaurants. I'm sure they are having to deal with a few more complaints than normal, which must be tough when it's not of their doing.

Momof4girls said:
Beyond that, most of the kids on the kids plans are little kids - who pick and nibble and don't eat much.

I'm curious. How do you know that most of the kids on the kids plans are "little kids - who pick and nibble and don't eat much"?

We have five children going with us this December. The youngest is four years old. The other four are ages 6 through 8. All are good eaters.

Pat

52 days and counting . . . again!

inky dinky doo said:
I'm curious. How do you know that most of the kids on the kids plans are "little kids - who pick and nibble and don't eat much"?

We have five children going with us this December. The youngest is four years old. The other four are ages 6 through 8. All are good eaters.

Pat

52 days and counting . . . again!

I agree. My kids are 8.5 and a bit over 4. My older ds can eat with the best of us. He's not a picker by any means and while I can certainly understand the desire to offer some healthier, lower fat alternatives, to eliminate the items that many found "kid friendly" is ridiculous. How do I explain to my 4 yo that no sit down restaurant will serve chicken fingers anymore?

I'm all for allowing companies to make a profit, but not at the expense of little kids. Isn't WDW supposed to be the "happiest place on earth"? How do you create happy kids when many of them won't find anything to eat? And while I appreciate the suggestion of eating at family style or buffet restaurants, they are just not a hit w/ my family. We do not like having to get up from our seats and stand in a line, waiting to take food out of a communal serving dish. We prefer a sit down experience and we like menu driven establishments.

We will be visiting 'Ohana and Chef Mickey this time, but otherwise, we will be at menu restaurants. I plan on making a few more calls in the next week or so to obtain more information.

If it's true that the restaurants are not happy with the restricted menus, then hopefully I'll be able to satisfy both of my kids. But if they keep these menus on a going forward basis, then I will either drop the plan altogether or upgrade my older son to the adult plan. We'll still do well cost wise and we won't have the added stress of finding food for him.

A gentlemen called me from Disney Dining regarding the email I sent about the new kids menus being rolled out throughout the World. At first he really didn't want to admit this was new - said they had been test marketing this for awhile - but I begged to differ based upon what I read here on the boards. I have 3 girls - 4, 7 and 9yo's who really only eat a handful of food to begin with and while the chicken & cheese pizza (without the chicken) and the mac & chz will probably be fine, seeing this menu over and over would be a bummer after a few days. I told him THAT was the issue - and that while I'm sure most parents appreciated the healthier options, that we were still on vacation and it should be my choice as to whether my kids eat chicken nuggets or cold chicken strips. I asked why they couldn't offer each course as a la cart, so that the child could pick between all of the appetizers/entrees/desserts rather than 'plating' 3 of the meals and only offering 2 a la carte options. He noted that requesting the substitutions should be no problem although I have read that some servers have said 'no' to this. He said they should allow it and if they don't just ask for a manager. I told him that each restaurant really should be able to offer at least a few of the adult entrees at a smaller kids version - like many of our restaurants do around here. He said most would if we asked. He did seem to indicate that this was just a 'test' but I got the impression it was going to be long test. This is going to be the new 'base menu' as he called it at many of the restaurants but the chefs of each individual restaurant will have the discretion to add to the menu from their specialties. He said that he has heard no complaints about the menu - I told him that he just needed to go on this board to see how upset parents are at the elimination of some basic 'kid' food. He said that people should complain when they get to the restaurant or email disney (like I did, via their website). So I encourage all of you to email your concerns, as this is going to be the only way Disney will listen. I was on the phone with the guy for almost 45 minutes! and I appreciated the call. Oh, and by the way, I complained that at our visit 2 years ago, we encounter the 'cold' chicken strips - which he said weren't supposed to be cold, but our server told us then that they were and others have indicated the same here. AND I complained about the incessant use of applesauce as a side dish - I remember leaving about 10 little containers of the stuff in the hotel room when we left because there is only so much applesauce even a kid will eat! He was very nice and although he didn't verbally agree with me, I know I got my point across.

mommy3 said:
A gentlemen called me from Disney Dining regarding the email I sent about the new kids menus being rolled out throughout the World. At first he really didn't want to admit this was new - said they had been test marketing this for awhile - but I begged to differ based upon what I read here on the boards. I have 3 girls - 4, 7 and 9yo's who really only eat a handful of food to begin with and while the chicken & cheese pizza (without the chicken) and the mac & chz will probably be fine, seeing this menu over and over would be a bummer after a few days. I told him THAT was the issue - and that while I'm sure most parents appreciated the healthier options, that we were still on vacation and it should be my choice as to whether my kids eat chicken nuggets or cold chicken strips. I asked why they couldn't offer each course as a la cart, so that the child could pick between all of the appetizers/entrees/desserts rather than 'plating' 3 of the meals and only offering 2 a la carte options. He noted that requesting the substitutions should be no problem although I have read that some servers have said 'no' to this. He said they should allow it and if they don't just ask for a manager. I told him that each restaurant really should be able to offer at least a few of the adult entrees at a smaller kids version - like many of our restaurants do around here. He said most would if we asked. He did seem to indicate that this was just a 'test' but I got the impression it was going to be long test. This is going to be the new 'base menu' as he called it at many of the restaurants but the chefs of each individual restaurant will have the discretion to add to the menu from their specialties. He said that he has heard no complaints about the menu - I told him that he just needed to go on this board to see how upset parents are at the elimination of some basic 'kid' food. He said that people should complain when they get to the restaurant or email disney (like I did, via their website). So I encourage all of you to email your concerns, as this is going to be the only way Disney will listen. I was on the phone with the guy for almost 45 minutes! and I appreciated the call. Oh, and by the way, I complained that at our visit 2 years ago, we encounter the 'cold' chicken strips - which he said weren't supposed to be cold, but our server told us then that they were and others have indicated the same here. AND I complained about the incessant use of applesauce as a side dish - I remember leaving about 10 little containers of the stuff in the hotel room when we left because there is only so much applesauce even a kid will eat! He was very nice and although he didn't verbally agree with me, I know I got my point across.

First off :welcome: and thanks for posting about your conversation. I will be issuing my complaint later this evening.
Kimba

chigirl said:
Sorry, but sweet potato fries suck, no matter if you're a foodie or not...this new menu is boring and limited and I never cheated on the DDP. We eat out all the time and chains like Joes Crab Shack, etc have wayyyyyy more selections for children. What kid eats a salad, for cripes sake? I mean, I am sure alot of kids, but it is vacation! Now I know there are a lot of hero parents who will post about what a bad mom I am because my kid thinks yougurt dip sucks for dinner or that I don't make him eat unseasoned, grilled chicken breast for dinner...but we eat dinner as a family every single night at home and we eat many different foods. Always fresh. Not once have I ever made anything frozen or pre-prepared like Hamburger helper, etc...so actually Disney food is a little downer for me, but this menu! 7 days of it! I feel bad for my son! Thank goodness we have 3 buffets planned, or I'd bring him home looking like Nicole Ritchie's younger brother.

Plus this whole "healthy eating" craze at places like MCDonalds cracks me up...the commercial with the cute little Africian American girl in a tutu eating her apple dippers and chicken nuggets. Please! If you really want your kids to eat healthy, you don't go to MCDonalds! Apples preserved in a baggie and dipped in caramel is NOT healthy...plus that poor little girl will grow horns out of her head from the hormones MCD's pumps into their freakchickens. It is a joke. Oh well, we go for the fun, I guess...not the meals. We'll just have to bring a big tub of lard to fry in the hotel room and wash down with gallons of Moutain dew.

Thanks for the laugh. Seriously though, an electric fryer, and a tub of lard to fry up some foods. What, a great idea!! lol Flamers.Just kidding.But seriously, they need to give these menu changes a rest. Alot of people will be turned off from it. I know I am. What will disney be without fried chicken strips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter