Confirmed "new kids menu" sightings

ReggieB said:
Okay, it has just taken me until now to realize that two of the three options (aside from the specials that some of the restaurants have) are cold. Is the pita pizza cold too? Or is it just the veg/fruit plate and the chicken strips? (which I had assumed was grilled chicken, but warm grilled chicken) Are these meals being prepared by the staff at each restaurant or are they being plated up elsewhere and bought in, which would explain why they are cold, and also the no substitution thing.

I don't know about the pizza, but my kids were allowed to get the sweet potato sticks as an appetizer with an a la carte entree at Kona Cafe. DD said the potatoes were cold. She liked them, but DS didn't. He would've eaten them if they were warm.

ReggieB: the pita pizza is warm. It's a regular pizza just on a thin crust with chicken.

Also the chicken strips are warm grilled chicken.

oogieboogie said:
ReggieB: the pita pizza is warm. It's a regular pizza just on a thin crust with chicken.

Also the chicken strips are warm grilled chicken.

Thanks for that. For some reason I was begining to think the chicken was like those cold cooked chicken strips you can buy to put in salads.

bamagirl@hrt said:
As of Sunday, 10/8, Coral Reef did not have the new menu. There were only 2 appetizer options, I think. One was a veggie plate and I think the other was the mushroom or lobster bisque. My kids had the veggie plate. They still had the same entrees they've had for awhile. DD had grilled mahi, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. DS had buttered noodles -- they offered a cheese or marinara sauce, but he doesn't do sauces. They both had the build your own sundae for dessert.

Thank you! Hopefully it doesn't change.

Like twinkletoesmom, we'd like to know about WCC's skillet.

Better subscribe to this thread, this really causes me concern as we are a large family with kids close in age but on both sides of the DDP (adult/child) no way this will fly if those are my kids only choices while their, ahem, adult but close in age siblings are living it up. Considering what this will cost not only my family but the rest of the group that are planning this trip, I cant see paying for the DDP and then paying again OOP just because the menu doesnt work for us. Wow, I have to say this may derail our trip or send us offsite so we can go to Universal/Seaworld, Wet N Wild etc instead, and maybe only a small portion of our time at WDW. The chance not only to enjoy the parks but all the restaurants, even though we will be paying for the DDP was a real enticement for the adults in our group, I really hope this changes back, and soon! :sad2:

Hi Becca - I'm with you regarding the healthy eating; our kids are good about eating veggies (and actually LIKE them) and will eat chix/turkey/steak, etc. so I'm not too disappointed that some of the menus have changed, BUT, because this is only our 2nd trip to Disney and have (for the 1st time ever) purchased the dining plan for our family of 5 (3 kids/2 adults) - I'm TOTALLY unclear as to what restaurants we'll be allowed to eat at...do we HAVE to eat at the restaurants that only serve "kid menus"? I have been on the allears.net website and found a listing of available DDP restaurants, but are there more that are available to us? Sorry for the confusion...and I hope you don't mind I came specifically to your thread!!!

thelittlehousekids said:
I'm TOTALLY unclear as to what restaurants we'll be allowed to eat at...do we HAVE to eat at the restaurants that only serve "kid menus"? I have been on the allears.net website and found a listing of available DDP restaurants, but are there more that are available to us? Sorry for the confusion...and I hope you don't mind I came specifically to your thread!!!

You can eat anywhere you want to, however if the restaurant doesn't accept DDP, then you'll be paying out of pocket for your meal. As long as you stay within the restaurants listed on the DDP brochure, you can use your DDP credits.

I called to confirm my ADR's yesterday and then got into a conversation with the CM about the new child's menu. The CM called it the "new yucky menu". I guess they are getting a lot of calls. I specifically asked about the 4 table service restaurants we are going to other than buffets/family style. Those are Coral Reef, Whispering Canyone Cafe, Sci Fi Dine In and LeCellier. She said Coral Reef and Sci Fi had the new menu and as of yesterday LeCellier did not - she did not mention Whispering Canyon. I asked if we would be able to purchase the old child desserts at these restaurants and she said that we could.

If they start putting the menu into places like LeCellier, that will make my decision to cancel the dining plan alot easier.

akalittleeva said:
If they start putting the menu into places like LeCellier, that will make my decision to cancel the dining plan alot easier.

Not sure I understand this. It isn't like this menu is for Dining Plan people only. I sat last night and went through the menus again and have made MORE changes, based on this new menu. Which, I might add I am fine with, BUT I don't want the kids having to choose that menu for every single meal..since we are going to every restaurant that is now using it.

Anyway, even with the changes, we are still coming out WAY ahead by having the dining plan and I mean WAY ahead!!!!! The Table Service alone, with me ordering NO appys or desserts, just a meal and water, AND using the DDE card discount, the table service meals alone will cost us what the Dining Plan will. That wasn't even adding in CS and snacks.

I did the calculations for us as well and I didn't come out way ahead, a bit ahead, but not much. What I really liked about the dining plan was having the meals paid for in advance, but with the new menu, I'd end up paying OOP for dd, and have leftover credits, a waste IMO, therefore lessening the value of the DDP for us. The more restaurants that adopt this menu, the fewer choices dd has, the more I pay OOP, the more credits I have leftover. Dd was actively involved in choosing our TS, based on the menus, and she wants steak at LeCellier - can't blame her - and I'd be very surprised if they offered it as their ala carte item.

WantToGoNow said:
She said Coral Reef and Sci Fi had the new menu and as of yesterday LeCellier did not - ...

I just called Coral Reef directly to see if kids could still get the 'Make your own Sundae' on the kids' new menu. The hostess at Coral Reef said, "What new kids menu?" She said their menu hasn't changed and she hasn't heard anything about it changing soon. Hopefully, she's right. We'll be there in just over two weeks. :goodvibes

kidsgobears said:
I just called Coral Reef directly to see if kids could still get the 'Make your own Sundae' on the kids' new menu. The hostess at Coral Reef said, "What new kids menu?" She said their menu hasn't changed and she hasn't heard anything about it changing soon. Hopefully, she's right. We'll be there in just over two weeks. :goodvibes

I just reported what she told me but I sure hope the CM you talked to is right since we will be there in a couple of weeks as well. I am most concerned about Coral Reef and LeCellier. My ds eating the chicken pizza (without the chicken) or chicken strips a couple of times (no sides though) will be better than every night.

Just to keep this going:

So far it seems the new menu has been confirmed at the following table service restaurants (with a la carte items in parentheses)

Magic Kingdom:
Liberty Tree Tavern lunch
Tony's Town Square (Mac & Cheese; spaghetti and meatball)

MGM:
Sci Fi (Mac & Cheese; Hamburger)
50's Prime Time Cafe
Mama Melrose's
Brown Derby

Resorts:
Boatwright's - Port Orleans
Spoodles - Boardwalk

Also, not confirmed but the Turf Club (Saratoga Springs) menu listed at all ears shows the new menu for kids, and the menu date is 7/06!

I just don't think this is that big of a deal. :confused3

I mean, I have an older kiddo who really likes adult food - so we upgraded her to an adult and she'll order from "our" menu. The six year old, who also likes "adult" food will have more than enough to pick from, and if she doesn't like something I'm sure that between two adults with appetizers, entrees, and desserts we can figure out *something* for her to eat. Although, looking at the pictures, the dippers look GREAT! I think she'd love that. Beyond that, most of the kids on the kids plans are little kids - who pick and nibble and don't eat much. At least if they take two or three bites of this it isn't fried junk that's going to upset their tummies when they're eating it for every meal.

And, for the record, the chilled chicken strips are ALL we've ever had at Pecos Bills. That's nothing different.

I say bravo to Disney for trying to make conscious decisions that help our children to have actual fruits and vegetables at their meals instead of white flour and fried foods! There will still be counter service available in abundance, and there will still be plenty of Mickey Bars at the carts. They can always drive through McDonalds at home, if that's what you're used to.

AND - if you're on the meal plan and you think there's nothing that your kid will like at the confirmed kid meal restaurants, you can always go somewhere else. It's freaking Disneyworld! There's like fifty restaurants to pick from. Go to a buffet! Get prime rib every night at Chef Mickey's, yk?

Momof4girls said:
I just don't think this is that big of a deal. :confused3

I say bravo to Disney for trying to make conscious decisions that help our children to have actual fruits and vegetables at their meals instead of white flour and fried foods! There will still be counter service available in abundance, and there will still be plenty of Mickey Bars at the carts. They can always drive through McDonalds at home, if that's what you're used to.

I agree with you! :thumbsup2

I just want to point out one more thing..

The cost of the dining plan for a child is:
--$10.99 per child 3-9 per night of stay

Subtract from that $11 a $3+ snack and that's $8. That gives you a sit down meal and a counter service meal for roughly $4 each - it's STILL a huge savings from the regular counter service meals, not to mention the cost of the kids' meals. And, even if you just broke even, you're still talking about a potential for saving $50-$100 per day for the adults in the party. I don't see how the dining plan is a "waste of money" because your kids don't like one of three kids' meals in ONE restaurant choice. :confused3 My daughter is a vegetarian, when there is only a hot dog, hamburger, and chicken strips on the menu, we go somewhere else!

And for those whose kids want to eat steak and lobster, fabulous - just upgrade them. Or pay out of pocket for that one meal. Are you eating at Coral Reef every day for dinner? Can your kid get by with a dining plan kids' meal and paying a la cart for the lobster bisque on top of it. Is it REALLY going to ruin their vacation - or "take away from the magic" just because they had to eat <gasp> healthy food at ONE restaurant?

Again, then maybe you should eat somewhere else.

I just don't get why people are so freaked out about this.

Momof4girls said:
AND - if you're on the meal plan and you think there's nothing that your kid will like at the confirmed kid meal restaurants, you can always go somewhere else. It's freaking Disneyworld! There's like fifty restaurants to pick from. Go to a buffet! Get prime rib every night at Chef Mickey's, yk?
Who wants to do a buffet for every dinner. I don't we would like to try some of the other restuarants and from what people say this new menu might be at al ts rest. soon. That is why i am ver upse about it. If it just says at some of the ts restuarants then i can handle that.

I have a question about Brown Derby. Are they still charging TWO Dining Credits for there, for the kids?? That would be ridiculous IMO. The same exact meal there for a kid is two credits, when it is only one credit at all the other restaurants. I would understand if that placed offered something other than the food, but it doesn't (for the kids).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter