Comparing Attractions at WDW and DL

cdnjason

DIS Veteran
I just got back from 4 days at Disneyland (DL). It was my second trip there in the past year. I much prefer going to Disney World (WDW), and visit every year for at least 10 days. Anyway, this trip to DL got me thinking. Which park has the better version of similar/identical attractions. I'll post my opinion below. If you've visited both parks, please share your opinion. Thanks.

So, in no particular order, just as I recall Jason's award goes to....

Pirates of the Caribbean: DL
Haunted Mansion: DL
Radiator Springs Racers vs Test Track: DL, without a doubt
Peter Pan's Flight: WDW, better theming
Toy Story Midway Mania: pretty much the same, WDW has better theming
Star Tours: identical, but WDW has better theming
Jungle Cruise: identical, longer ride at WDW
Soarin': identical, DL has better theming
Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid vs Ariel's Undersea Adventure: WDW
Splash Mountain: DL, better drop
Big Thunder Mountain RR: DL seems smoother
It's a Small World: DL, love who they incorporate Disney characters into it
Autopia vs Tomorrowland Speedway: DL
Space Mountain: seems identical, but when SM was Hyperspace Mountain with Star Wars theming at DL, it was much better
Rockin' Roller Coaster vs California Screaming: WDW
Star Wars Launch Bay: DL, because of Darth Vader meet and greet
Indiana Jones Adventure vs Dinosaur: DL
Expedition Everest vs Matterhorn: WDW
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: WDW
Dumbo the Flying Elephant: identical
Astro Orbiter: identical, but prefer being up high at WDW for the view
Goofy's Sky School vs Primeval Whirl: DL
Kali River Rapids vs Grizzly River Run: DL, much better theming and longer ride with more drops
It's Tough to be a Bug vs A Bug's Life: WDW
Enchanted Tiki Room: same to me
Mark Twain Riverboat vs Liberty Square Riverboat: pretty much the same
Mad Tea Party: WDW, prefer being under a cover
Winnie the Pooh: same to me
Prince Charming Carousel vs King Arthur Carousel: identical
Fantasmic!: DL has the better show, but I prefer the outdoor auditorium at WDW to sitting on the pavement at DL

Leaving the following for last, because I know you were waiting for it...

Tower of Terror vs Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout!: DL, I didn't want to love it, but without a doubt, GotG is superior to ToT

and, of course...Cinderella's Castle vs Aurora's Castle: must I even?

Overall, nothing compares to WDW. But, DL is perfect for a quick trip to get your Disney fix.

Like, I said, I'd love to hear your opinion. If you have questions, please ask.

What were your thoughts on all the dark rides/rides unique to DL?

I definitely enjoyed Pirates, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World & Tiki Room more at DL- but the coolest part to me was the history and old dark rides. Alice was awesome, they all were really. So much detail & pioneering.

The line for Peter was worse, but I still liked the loading area/ride better. Also, I loved spotting this after a CM told me about it in line for the storytime canal boats:

hidden-mickey-on-peter-pans-flight.jpg

What were your thoughts on all the dark rides/rides unique to DL?

I definitely enjoyed Pirates, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World & Tiki Room more at DL- but the coolest part to me was the history and old dark rides. Alice was awesome, they all were really. So much detail & pioneering.

The line for Peter was worse, but I still liked the loading area/ride better. Also, I loved spotting this after a CM told me about it in line for the storytime canal boats:

View attachment 255975
I enjoy them all. There is definitely something nostalgic about those rides. I agree on the detail and pioneering. I notice something new every time I ride them. Frankly, I'm surprised that I ranked as many DL attractions higher than their WDW counterpart as I did.

We were lucky when we got on PPF. It was temporarily down and got running as we entered the line. So, it was shorter than normal. However, I prefer the line for PPF at WDW because of the interactive theming. At DL, it's just a long, weaving line. And, now that you've pointed out the hidden Mickey, I need to get back and catch it for myself. haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter