China Trip Report 2014

Great pics, Cousin Orville! I'm surprised to see that Beijing actually has days with clear and sunny skies.

I love reading your descriptive and detailed posts. Do you take notes during the day?

Also, can you post a pic of your Adventure Guides? Thanks!

Following along on your trip report--
What an amazing trip! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it!

Great pics, Cousin Orville! I'm surprised to see that Beijing actually has days with clear and sunny skies.

I love reading your descriptive and detailed posts. Do you take notes during the day?

Also, can you post a pic of your Adventure Guides? Thanks!

On page 2, post 25 third picture down is Christian in the pedicab taking a picture of me. The girl with him I believe was a brief step on guide to help translate just for the Hutong when we split up into smaller groups.

Steven is pictured on this page (3rd pg) post 39, second picture leading us through Tienamen Sq.

I know it's cliche to say this on this ABD forum, but the Christian and Steven have been awesome. I'm sure any tour group cam take you to china, but only Adventures by Disney has ABD guides. Considering the difficulty and odds of becoming an ABD guide in Disney, these guys are like the Top Guns of Disney cast members.

Disfan, yeah day was surprising blue and you could see clouds! And I do take brief notes, but just about the order and times we did things. The rest I rely from my pictures and what I remember. I'm only a few days ahead now in Guilin.. So it's not too difficult.

Wow! The view from your hotel room is just amazing!!! Did you get any video of the light shows?

You're definitely bumping this trip back up to the top of my "must do" list!

Sayhello

I always forget video. I even got a bigger SS card for my camera to encourage me to take more video.. But it doesn't work.

Great trip report!

I was really hoping to do the China trip last year, but as a solo traveler the cost was simply too much. Maybe one day...

Thanks for all the photos!:thumbsup2

Wonderful trip report!

We are torn between this one and South Africa for our next "big ABD" trip in 2016/17? Loving the pictures and your descriptions! Thank you for posting. I'll be following along. :thumbsup2

Great trip report!

I was really hoping to do the China trip last year, but as a solo traveler the cost was simply too much. Maybe one day...

Thanks for all the photos!:thumbsup2

Thanks! What's the solo additional price now a days? 40-50%? I'm doing the Backstage magic this December solo but I can't remember what the price difference was. Certainly not as significant doing a solo trip 12 day trip.

Wonderful trip report!

We are torn between this one and South Africa for our next "big ABD" trip in 2016/17? Loving the pictures and your descriptions! Thank you for posting. I'll be following along. :thumbsup2

Thanks. Yes I'd love to do South Africa, but I don't think Gavin is ready for the back to back early mornings. We're going to do Australia next.

How old is Gavin? We have 8&5 now, ready for first ABD next month in Arizona. Just wondering about kid touring stamina.

How old is Gavin? We have 8&5 now, ready for first ABD next month in Arizona. Just wondering about kid touring stamina.

9. We stared when he was 7 in France although he traveled with us (non ABD before that). I think it just depends on personality. Out of France, SE Asia, and China, I haven't seen children younger than 7 or 8, but I would imagine domestic ABDs would have more young children.

Thanks! What's the solo additional price now a days? 40-50%? I'm doing the Backstage magic this December solo but I can't remember what the price difference was. Certainly not as significant doing a solo trip 12 day trip.
The single supplement for ABD still seems to be 40% of the per person double occupancy price. That's been the percentage since I started doing ABDs in 2008. Proportionately much cheaper than solo cruising in that respect, which is an extra 100% of the per person double occupancy price (less port fees). That has changed considerably since 2010, when it was about 55%.

Sayhello

The single supplement for ABD still seems to be 40% of the per person double occupancy price. That's been the percentage since I started doing ABDs in 2008. Proportionately much cheaper than solo cruising in that respect, which is an extra 100% of the per person double occupancy price (less port fees). That has changed considerably since 2010, when it was about 55%.

Sayhello

That's completely understandable as you're occupying a full room but in all other aspects you're just one person. For cruising I guess it all comes down to the market. There are only so many rooms, and if a solo traveler doesn't want to pay full price, they can find a family that does.

I guess I'll go out on a limb and say I think ABD China is still worth it traveling solo (regarding the $ supplement) particularly for a woman (regarding safety). I don't think China is as easily navigatable especially if you want to go to Chengdu, Xi'an and Guilin, which are absolutely worth visiting. The language barrier is steep. Very few few people outside of the hotel speak English. Less than any other country I've visited come to think of it. I'm sure solo traveling can be done, but it may come with some unwanted stress. I'm sitting here in the Guilin Shangri La about to go to the airport about to catch a flight to Shanghai. My stress = 0. If our flight is late or (knock in wood) cancelled which seems to happen more often in china, my stress will still be 0. Well maybe it would be a 1, but I'm a worrier. :)

Day 5 Chengdu

Today was panda day. Breakfast was a large buffet similar to the Peninsula's except even better. Plus, being up on the 25th floor there was a great view over Chengdu.

We headed to the Panda Research Station. There's a big LCD screen outside the gates showing Kung Fu Panda. We teased Christian about wanting to stay and watch the (dreamworks) movie. The Research park was prettier than I excepted. We walked through the park to view 5 pandas grouped together munching on bamboo and playing around. It was very cool to see so many together. I've seen a couple over in San Diego, but this was a lot more impressive. We were close to them as well. The ABD group then split up. We we're given the option earlier on in the trip to hold the pandas. The guides discuss it privately with the heads of each house to minimize disappointment or pressure from children because it's quite expensive. 2000rmd per person. About $322. About half the group opted to do it and half didn't. Gavin and I did it. They gave us a lanyard and a time to return at which point we walked around and saw 2 more pandas. Apparently there were 10 in total that some people saw. Our time had come for holding the pandas. An assistant took us around as a small group and discussed how they prepare the panda's food. They took us in another room and discussed taking care of baby pandas with videos and pictures. Then we went into the room where we could see others holding the pandas. You have to first put on blue gowns, shoe coverings, and plastic gloves to protect the pandas. I held the pandas first to convince Gavin they were perfectly safe. Then the attendants had Gavin join me so we could sit together. Then got the chance to sit with the panda himself. The panda just sits there eating bamboo occasionally moving around slight to see what's going on. The attendants are taking pictures like paparazzi. It was really an amazing experience and I recommend it. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. If you want to do it be sure to bring cash. No credit cards allowed. And of course bring your camera. They give you a nicely framed photo and some other swag. We walked around a bit more and hit the gift shop.

After we got back to the hotel we had an optional Kung fu show. It was lots of fun. Everyone had a chance to practice some moves with and without the stick. They had some challenges and announced a few winners. Gavin won one of the stick fighting challenges where he swirled the stick around his sides like a baton. He was very excited. Then they posed us with the masters for some fun photos. Each family was posed differently. A lot of them were very cool.

Afterwards, Gavin and I walked down a couple blocks to the Starbucks where Gavin and I got a snack and I picked up a Chengdu mug.

That night dinner was paid for by ABD but was on your own. It was at the buffet restaurant Spices at the Ritz. I'm normally not a buffet fan, but it was very good. They had lots of different cuisines. We finished up dinner and met in the lobby to go to an evening Tea House and see a face changing opera... Both popular in Chengdu. When looking at the activities before the trip this was not necessarily something I was particularly excited about, but it was really great. Pictures will better show how everything is set up, but essentially it's a very traditional looking outdoor theater. There you sit next to a side table with tea. Then while sipping tea we watched a variety show. Masters of puppetry, traditional Chinese musical instruments, shadow puppets, and the face changing opera performed in different acts. It was a pleasant surprise how amazing all the acts were and generally how relaxing and pleasant the night was. There was a nice breeze blowing through as well. You also had the option to get a body massage either before the show or during the show. You sit there off to the side where you can still see the show well and get your massage. I did this and it was nice - a tiny bit rough. It was a bit different from what I'm typically used to (a Swedish massage) but still good. Some felt it was a little rough, but I think most enjoyed it. You can also get an ear massage famous in Chengdu. They massage your ears and clean them out essentially. I did the body massage, but not the ear massage. Several on the group did the ear massage and liked it. It was a late night and the next day would prove to be a very early morning... Overall I really enjoyed our time in Chengdu.

14282791420_e387760b20_z.jpg

14282714538_5e9340bbe9_z.jpg

14465934211_fb2dbbfedd_z.jpg

14282713728_59808bd93e_z.jpg

14489437493_3983d49b66_z.jpg

14467964122_b246d26507_z.jpg

14446185026_4b24e36306_z.jpg

14282711068_bf8d9c0da6_z.jpg

14469284175_5b232ddf8e_z.jpg

14489434353_d1c9d5ec0f_z.jpg

14489526383_b47b302d69_z.jpg

14489526073_eb47ed7aee_z.jpg

14446276496_e1ffc50dd0_z.jpg

14282800368_2638293285_z.jpg

I would never do China on my own! When I go (maybe 2016?) I will definitely go with ABD!

Chengdu sounds like one of the highlights to me! :thumbsup2 I'd just have to hold the pandas! And I've heard amazing things about the face changing operas.

Wonderful pics! Makes me want to get on a plane and go now! :)

Sayhello

Great pics as usual, Cousin Orville! Aren't those pandas just TOO cute??

Besides the Great Wall, I think the highlight of the trip for us was holding the panda cub. I'm glad you decided to splurge and do it too. I mean, where else in the world can you hold a real live panda, right?? I recall paying about $150 USD, so they've doubled the fee since we went. But then, we didn't get a framed photo or other swag.

A little off-topic, but I noticed that the China AbD now has a "multi-generational" departure in addition to the "Adults Only" trips. I guess this means that only families with kids and grandparents can book that departure. I'm not sure how they would handle all of the connecting room requests on THAT departure...

Great pics as usual, Cousin Orville! Aren't those pandas just TOO cute??

Besides the Great Wall, I think the highlight of the trip for us was holding the panda cub. I'm glad you decided to splurge and do it too. I mean, where else in the world can you hold a real live panda, right?? I recall paying about $150 USD, so they've doubled the fee since we went. But then, we didn't get a framed photo or other swag.

A little off-topic, but I noticed that the China AbD now has a "multi-generational" departure in addition to the "Adults Only" trips. I guess this means that only families with kids and grandparents can book that departure. I'm not sure how they would handle all of the connecting room requests on THAT departure...

Yes the fees have gone up considerably! I think it was around 1200 last year. Still no shortage of guests signing up to hold the cuddly pandas. They say the money goes to research and the pandas. The facilities are quite nice, so I'm willing to believe it.

I'm not quite sure what the difference between "normal" ABD's abd multi generational ABD's. The existing trips are already well set up for multigenerational guests...

9. We stared when he was 7 in France although he traveled with us (non ABD before that). I think it just depends on personality. Out of France, SE Asia, and China, I haven't seen children younger than 7 or 8, but I would imagine domestic ABDs would have more young children.

Love seeing your trip report. Am trying to convince dh that he REALLY does want to go to Australia but all he keeps saying is "it's 20 hours on a plane..." :( How do you and your son handle the flight times. I think I'd physically have to tranquilize one or more of the boys. If I could just GET them there, it would be a blast.

Love seeing your trip report. Am trying to convince dh that he REALLY does want to go to Australia but all he keeps saying is "it's 20 hours on a plane..." :( How do you and your son handle the flight times. I think I'd physically have to tranquilize one or more of the boys. If I could just GET them there, it would be a blast.

Try not to think about the plane ride. It's not as bad as it seems. Get to your destination a couple days early to relax. My son brings his iPad and he's fine. It's a long trip, but it's worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter