Check out the rate difference

tjmouse said:
OK, I went into the passholder site and played around. Here is what I found (you still can't book an arrival date past 11/26):

11/26 through 12/3 (7 nights)

Passholder rate - $624.89 AllStar Movies standard
Regular online rate - $783.09 AllStar Movies standard

Passholder rate - $850.78 PORiverside standard
Regular online rate - $1162.98 PORiverside standard

Passholder rate - $2138.37 Poly gardenview
Regular online rate - $2762.97 Poly gardenview

So, you are already saving $158 on values, $312 on mods and $624 on deluxe by booking online with the new program.

Plus, if steeper discounts are released, that could still drop further!

I think that is pretty darn good considering 11/26 is still regular season.

tjmouse - did you have to plus in a # from an active AP to see/book these rates or were you able to just do it or could you use a voucher #.

I am still disappointed about needing the active AP & the nonrefundable issue.

Sammie said:
We are allowed to book all our vacations a year in advance.
-----------------

That's great - but many visitors to WDW are not able to do that, nor are they able to work within the 120-day time frame and that's the big "rub" for some folks.. :flower:

Heres some more number I came up with..

Nov 9-14, 5 nights REGULAR SEASON,

POP Century on Passholder best rate site $88.09 per night ($79 plus tax)
rack rate same nights is $110.30 per night ($99 plus tax)
SAVING $20 per night already, with chance of more

Caribbean Beach Passholder best rate site $121.54 ($109 plus tax)
rack rate $166.14 ($149 plus tax )
SAVING $40 per night already

Not a bad start, I know alot of us would like the $59-65 value resorts or $79-85 rate at moderates but....well just but. As I see it this method of booking will give us a small price break right now with the possiblity of more.

I was at WDW in May and the AP discount on value resorts was $25 off the $99 rack rate. I was thinking gee thanks, I'm paying $74 per night this year when last year I paid $59. But when I saw how many new things opened and the Flower and Garden stuff I didn't think twice about the $74 rate.

I am searching for airfare right now so I can book my room online and get in on the best rate program.
Thanks,
Lori

C.Ann,

I think most of us here agree that the 120 day requirement is pushing it, regardless if it works for a particular person's situation or not.

Sammie said:
I understand completely the program will not work for everyone. I don't understand why some, possibly not you, feel because it won't work for everyone Disney should not even offer it or upset with Disney that they did. That is the part I do not understand. :confused3
-------------------

I don't know how others feel, but I have no problem with them offering this to people if it happens to work for them (although I still feel their restrictions and conditions are ridiculous), but I would be very disappointed if this is the only AP program they offer because I simply do not feel that any room in any Disney Resort is worth the rack rate - and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that..

So - I'll wait to see what happens.. If they keep the old AP system as well and offer a decent discount (one that I feel the room is worth) I'll go ahead and book a room on-site.. If not, I'll go off-site for something that I feel is a better value..

Either way I'll still buy an AP because I'm going to be in Florida for 3 months next winter and plan on going to the parks fairly often.. :flower:

Actually most companies in Canada let you book a year in advance so I don't think there are many problems unless it comes down to seniority at some work places.

Well I did a little math and they are 5-6 off what a AAA rate is. So at least they are better than an AAA rate right off the bat.

AAA rate for value is 84.15/night + tax
AAA rate for moderate is 126.65/night + tax

MELSMICE said:
tjmouse - did you have to plus in a # from an active AP to see/book these rates or were you able to just do it or could you use a voucher #.

I am still disappointed about needing the active AP & the nonrefundable issue.

What I was told from my travel agent, is you need the voucher, and it will NOT be activated. It will only verify you have the pass bought, and it will be in your name from that point on, so you cannot transfer or sell it.

CharlesTD said:
Actually most companies in Canada let you book a year in advance so I don't think there are many problems unless it comes down to seniority at some work places.
-------------------

Then I guess a large part of the U.S. population needs to move to Canada!! :rotfl:

what amazes me is that the 120 day thing is really makes a difference - are that many people "quick travelers"?....with how many people on these boards seem to be planning WAY ahead of time.....I have NO issue with that part of it - I know we have overnight stays in Feb, May, Oct and December each year(this year we had to do March since we had our newest Disney Souvenier in Feb)

...but I do want to at least know I am getting better than AAA when I book...

Ya then they can plan early vacations and have universal healthcare and a year off for maternity leave LOL.

CharlesTD said:
Ya then they can plan early vacations and have universal healthcare and a year off for maternity leave LOL.
----------------

Are you serious? A year off for maternity leave? Watch out - if that word gets around you're going to be overpopulated in no time flat!!! :rotfl:

That's amazing!!!

Yep a year paid mat leave and it can be split between the parents if they want to. They are actually talking about making it 2 years.

Sammie said:
I understand completely the program will not work for everyone. I don't understand why some, possibly not you, feel because it won't work for everyone Disney should not even offer it or upset with Disney that they did. That is the part I do not understand. :confused3
I think it's because we all understand that when it comes to special promotions and discounts, there is only so much they can offer. If they are offering more to one group of customers (i.e., big discounts to those who can take advantage of the Best Rates program), then there will be less or maybe nothing left for those who cannot participate in this new program. There is a lot of uncertainty about whether those who cannot participate in this new program will see any discounts at all.

It's great that some people find the Best Rates program to be perfect for their needs. (It's good to hear that somebody is happy about this new program!) And I'm curious to see what kind of discounts are eventually offered to those who sign up. But many of us are feeling a real sense of loss over what this will mean if we cannot take advantage of it. I'm concerned that my days of booking rooms at Disney at a discount are coming to an end and I'm feeling pretty disappointed about that.

C.Ann said:
-------------------

because I simply do not feel that any room in any Disney Resort is worth the rack rate - and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that..

So - I'll wait to see what happens.. If they keep the old AP system as well and offer a decent discount (one that I feel the room is worth) I'll go ahead and book a room on-site.. If not, I'll go off-site for something that I feel is a better value..

Either way I'll still buy an AP because I'm going to be in Florida for 3 months next winter and plan on going to the parks fairly often.. :flower:

just curious...why don't you just go ahead and make your plans offsite now? You've mentioned in numerous threads that you don't feel that the wdw resorts are worth the going rate, so instead of monitoring discounts, etc. wouldn't it be better to just go ahead and book your offsite accomodations now and be done with it? This is not meant to be a slam against you, but just thought i would suggest it since you seem to be turned off by wdw in general at this point. enjoy your time in fl...it sure beats the snow!!

LisaS said:
I think it's because we all understand that when it comes to special promotions and discounts, there is only so much they can offer. If they are offering more to one group of customers (i.e., big discounts to those who can take advantage of the Best Rates program), then there will be less or maybe nothing left for those who cannot participate in this new program. There is a lot of uncertainty about whether those who cannot participate in this new program will see any discounts at all.

It's great that some people find the Best Rates program to be perfect for their needs. (It's good to hear that somebody is happy about this new program!) And I'm curious to see what kind of discounts are eventually offered to those who sign up. But many of us are feeling a real sense of loss over what this will mean if we cannot take advantage of it. I'm concerned that my days of booking rooms at Disney at a discount are coming to an end and I'm feeling pretty disappointed about that.

A very realistic view of the situation. We all understand how some are disappointed that possibly they will no longer be able to stay at a particular resort they have come to enjoy due to discounts. However there were many years prior to 9-11 that was the case. And whether any of us want to accept it, myself included, we should have never thought the steep discounts would last. It's economics.

It's one thing to be disappointed, it's something entirely different to think Disney is wrong to offer this program at all. I think that is what some of us can not understand. The anger toward Disney because they have decided to make, what is possibly a very good business move for them.

I can't afford the Grand Floridian without a discount. I might not be able to stay there in the future unless discounts are offered. I won't be upset though I will greatful for the times I did stay and try to remind myself; many never even get to Disney at all. I might have to remind myself often, but I will keep at it. :)

Sammie said:
A very realistic view of the situation. We all understand how some are disappointed that possibly they will no longer be able to stay at a particular resort they have come to enjoy due to discounts. However there were many years prior to 9-11 that was the case. And whether any of us want to accept it, myself included, we should have never thought the steep discounts would last. It's economics.

It's one thing to be disappointed, it's something entirely different to think Disney is wrong to offer this program at all. I think that is what some of us can not understand. The anger toward Disney because they have decided to make, what is possibly a very good business move for them.

I can't afford the Grand Floridian without a discount. I might not be able to stay there in the future unless discounts are offered. I won't be upset though I will greatful for the times I did stay and try to remind myself; many never even get to Disney at all. I might have to remind myself often, but I will keep at it. :)
I made my first visit to WDW in 2003, so in my somewhat limited experience, there have always been pretty good AP discounts available. I never really thought about whether they would continue or not -- I just thought they were a perk of being an AP holder and that provided you went to WDW at a slower time of year, you had a good chance of snagging one. So with all the recent discussion on these boards about how discounts have varied over the years, I realize how lucky I was to make 4 trips to WDW at a time when I could experience the deluxe resorts at a price that fit my vacation budget.

But I also feel Disney has made out well, too. That first trip to WDW has become a regular event, due in large part to having purchased an AP and wanting to make the most of it. We went back the following year (a week before DH's first AP was due to expire). This January DH bought another AP and we have made two trips so far this year. We don't rent a car while at WDW, so Disney gets all of our vacation dollars (except what we spend on airfare) because we never leave Disney property: we stay there, eat there (almost exclusively table service), and play there (parks, tours, surrey bikes, Mai Tais at the pool) and buy all of our vacation souvenirs there. So by extending us a good room discount, they got pretty much every dollar we spent during our time in Florida.

I was even contemplating a third trip this year in late Nov/early Dec because I would love to see WDW decorated for the holidays. But when this new program was announced, I felt like somebody stuck a pin in my balloon and now I'm not sure whether we'll go back or not. If I see a very attractive room rate on the Best Rates web site while we're still at least 120 days out and there are decent airfares available at the same time, and DH can firm up the vacation days in the midst of what's looking like a hectic month of December for him, maybe we'll do it. I just don't know if I can get all the planets in alignment at 120+ days out...

srfrgrl07 said:
just curious...why don't you just go ahead and make your plans offsite now? You've mentioned in numerous threads that you don't feel that the wdw resorts are worth the going rate, so instead of monitoring discounts, etc. wouldn't it be better to just go ahead and book your offsite accomodations now and be done with it? This is not meant to be a slam against you, but just thought i would suggest it since you seem to be turned off by wdw in general at this point. enjoy your time in fl...it sure beats the snow!!
------------------------

That's easy enough to answer.. Because this will be a family trip and I think my DD and granddaughter would really enjoy staying at Pop Century.. :) But if I'm flipping the bill for the rooms (and I will be) I have to to take into consideration what I feel is the best value.. We have stayed off-site in the past and will undoubtedly do so again in the future, but I thought this might be fun for my granddaughter while she's at an age where she's still easily impressed by the whimiscal themes at Pop.. :flower:

Once I get to Florida for the winter and have my AP, I'll be within 50 minutes or less driving time to WDW so rooms will no longer be an issue..:)

I have booked a trip as close as 2 weeks out. I wait for a low airfare then call for an AP rate. If I can get both I'll book right away. If I'm booking 4 months out I'll use my DVC points but I also like to be spontaneous. To me this new policy ruins my spontaneity.

C.Ann said:
------------------------

That's easy enough to answer.. Because this will be a family trip and I think my DD and granddaughter would really enjoy staying at Pop Century.. :) But if I'm flipping the bill for the rooms (and I will be) I have to to take into consideration what I feel is the best value.. We have stayed off-site in the past and will undoubtedly do so again in the future, but I thought this might be fun for my granddaughter while she's at an age where she's still easily impressed by the whimiscal themes at Pop.. :flower:

Once I get to Florida for the winter and have my AP, I'll be within 50 minutes or less driving time to WDW so rooms will no longer be an issue..:)

you should get a ct job at wdw while you're here! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter