Check out the rate difference

tjmouse

DIS Veteran
OK, I went into the passholder site and played around. Here is what I found (you still can't book an arrival date past 11/26):

11/26 through 12/3 (7 nights)

Passholder rate - $624.89 AllStar Movies standard
Regular online rate - $783.09 AllStar Movies standard

Passholder rate - $850.78 PORiverside standard
Regular online rate - $1162.98 PORiverside standard

Passholder rate - $2138.37 Poly gardenview
Regular online rate - $2762.97 Poly gardenview

So, you are already saving $158 on values, $312 on mods and $624 on deluxe by booking online with the new program.

Plus, if steeper discounts are released, that could still drop further!

I think that is pretty darn good considering 11/26 is still regular season.

Just to add - I still don't like the restrictions, especially the nonrefundable deposit.

The last couple of trips, we've gotten a discount between $85-100/night at the deluxes. What you're showing is about $89/night deluxe discount. I was hoping that the discounts would be deeper for those willing to take the risk of the non refundable deposit. So far, it looks about the same.

Honestly, I think the rate, esp. for the Poly, isn't very good for booking 120 days in advance with a no-refund policy. That works out to be approx. $270.35 per night before taxes. I was quoted an AP rate of $254 in May, also regular season. I know we keep being told by some posters that we should be grateful for any discount, but I refuse to feel gratitude for such measly savings when I can't cancel for *any* reason this far in advance. JMO.

Yet it is still a discount so why complain about it it is a non refundable deposit I have non refundable race fees for my bike races and rooms that I need for the time I spend at the races it really isn't that big a deal. But they are right you should feel grateful that you get a discount at all Disney certainly doesn't have to offer any discounts. So if the difference in price between an old discount and the new one means you have to drop a category and go to a moderate be happy there is a discount at all.

Yes, but remember, these are quotes as of today and AP rates are only out through Oct. 4th. So, there is a good possibility that they may drop even more. Or am I dreaming? Well, I guess we'll find out and all of us going in the fall will be the guinea pigs!

jenjersnap said:
Honestly, I think the rate, esp. for the Poly, isn't very good for booking 120 days in advance with a no-refund policy. That works out to be approx. $270.35 per night before taxes. I was quoted an AP rate of $254 in May, also regular season. I know we keep being told by some posters that we should be grateful for any discount, but I refuse to feel gratitude for such measly savings when I can't cancel for *any* reason this far in advance. JMO.

if this does not work for you, then you don't have to use the program. It will work for some and obviously with some good discounts.

You can not compare this program and what it offers to what you were able to get in the past. That is like saying when I was a child I bought a Coke for a 50 cents.

Sammie very good point it is also like going grocery shopping and saying well last week the steaks were on sale so I want a discount on them this week. Same applys for a room just because you got a good discount or discount at all doesn't mean you will ever get it again.

CharlesTD said:
Yet it is still a discount so why complain about it it is a non refundable deposit I have non refundable race fees for my bike races and rooms that I need for the time I spend at the races it really isn't that big a deal. But they are right you should feel grateful that you get a discount at all Disney certainly doesn't have to offer any discounts. So if the difference in price between an old discount and the new one means you have to drop a category and go to a moderate be happy there is a discount at all.

Are you comparing non-refundable bike race fees to $300-plus hotel rooms? My DH used to compete in bike races. I can't remember his fees ever being more than $50, oh except for possibly some centuries. I think most of the posters to these threads do not feel any sort of discount entitlement, it is the combination of the non-refundability (I think I made up a word) with the gambling for discounts aspect that people object to.

Besides why should you care if we want to discuss or complain or WHATEVER on these threads? Haven't you mentioned 3508 times now that you are a DVC member and all of us are stupid for not joining too? Not sure why you are so concerned about it, but I would appreciate it if you would NOT tell me how to feel, grateful or otherwise.

Yes I am when each class I race is 150 dollars a race and I run 4 classes a weekend I also race motocycles not bicycles. So yes I can compare a 300 dollar hotel room to my racing. It just seems funny how people complain about a discount that they by the way they are posting seem to feel they are entitled to and expect like comments of well if Disney wants me to give a non refundable deposit I will go off site or elsewhere. no that is not word for word but you get the jist of it.

Sammie said:
You can not compare this program and what it offers to what you were able to get in the past. That is like saying when I was a child I bought a Coke for a 50 cents.

Look, that is not what I am saying AT ALL. This program is dangling "possibly larger discounts" in exchange for a non-refundable desposit. I am simply pointing out that I have done the math and, so far, this discount is not very good. What you are getting - non-refundable for a relatively small discount - is not a good value to *me*. I made it clear it was my OPINION. Sammie, are others allowed to have them in your universe? And yes it is my choice whether I want to use the program or not. Oh, thanks so much for pointing that out - it never occurred to me (sarcasm!)!

jenjersnap said:
Look, that is not what I am saying AT ALL. This program is dangling "possibly larger discounts" in exchange for a non-refundable desposit. I am simply pointing out that I have done the math and, so far, this discount is not very good. What you are getting - non-refundable for a relatively small discount - is not a good value to *me*. I made it clear it was my OPINION. Sammie, are others allowed to have them in your universe? And yes it is my choice whether I want to use the program or not. Oh, thanks so much for pointing that out - it never occurred to me (sarcasm!)!

No need to get hostile over it. Yes it's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But then others are entitled to disagree or state theirs.

Obviously and I don't see it this program is really making some angry.

What we are saying is this, this program offers to the guest willing to pay rack rate when they book; a discount better than what anyone not using the program will get. Why would they not be pleased with that? To some the refund situation will be worth it. To others it will not be worth it.

I have a friend that does not like the new program either. She has been staying at deluxe resorts for the last couple of years because of discounts. Now with this new program she might have to stay at a moderate or value or even off property. She does however understand why Disney wants to book rooms at the highest possible rate and is not angry over the situation. She is just going to adjust as many others will have to do.

My intent was never to upset you, only trying to explain how the program works and why some like it. :flower:

Sammie said:
My intent was never to upset you, only trying to explain how the program works and why some like it. :flower:
---------------

And I think what others are trying to point out to you is that the program doesn't work for them - not because of rack rates or who can afford what - but rather many, many people simply can NOT plan their vacations 120 days ahead of time.. What kind of work do you do? Are you retired? Does your firm always give you the exact same time frame for your vacation every year? :confused3

C.Ann,

I can see what your saying and for some, being able to put in a vacation request 120+ days out isn't possible. However, there are some who can request vacation time 1 year and sometimes 2 years in advance. For example, where I work you can put your vacation request in the system for the current year and make a written request for days off for the following year. If there are no other written requests for those same days then there yours. It's basically first come first service.

MagicKingdom05 said:
C.Ann,

I can see what your saying and for some, being able to put in a vacation request 120+ days out isn't possible. However, there are some who can request vacation time 1 year and sometimes 2 years in advance. For example, where I work you can put your vacation request in the system for the current year and make a written request for days off for the following year. If there are no other written requests for those same days then there yours. It's basically first come first service.
----------------

That's awesome! However, I don't know anyone who can coordinate their vacation dates that far in advance - especially in two-working parent families.. :flower:

C.Ann,

I know what your saying and obviously this promotion isn't for everyone, just like the dinning plan doesn't work for everyone.

You do see much more single people putting requests in that far in advance than married people with families. When you have other issues to try and plan vacations around (school, 2 parents getting time off at the same time, etc) it's much harder to plan in advance. Obviously Disney knows ahead of time that this promotion isn't going to work for everyone and they are targeting those who can plan way in advance and might reward those who do with a little better rate.

Agree. This plan does not work for all. I am not sure any plan would work for everyone.
Dh use to have to hand in his vacations for the year the first week of every January. And the only possible change was to cancel (not reschedule).
So we use to plan our Disney vacations several months in advance.
I don't think it is that uncommon. But obviously not everyone can do it. So they need to stay with the phone lines.
We never cancelled a Disney vacation. But it would have been our luck to have a non refundable deposit and then have to cancel. ;)

CharlesTD,

I think the group we are in (ones who can put in vacation requests for a year ahead or years ahead) is somewhat small compaired to the ones who can't. The fact that Disney seems to be creating a promotion geared toward those who know there vacation time 4, 6 or even 12 months ahead, could be what is causing some people not to like this promotion.

C.Ann said:
---------------

And I think what others are trying to point out to you is that the program doesn't work for them - not because of rack rates or who can afford what - but rather many, many people simply can NOT plan their vacations 120 days ahead of time.. What kind of work do you do? Are you retired? Does your firm always give you the exact same time frame for your vacation every year? :confused3

We are allowed to book all our vacations a year in advance.

I understand completely the program will not work for everyone. I don't understand why some, possibly not you, feel because it won't work for everyone Disney should not even offer it or upset with Disney that they did. That is the part I do not understand. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter