Chase Disney cc is a joke

I love the castle picture on it. I thought it would provide me, as a frequent guest, with some payback. Huh!

I just used it to pay for my Inspire key renewal. I normally use my Southwest card for everything, but since it was a Disney purchase, I thought I might add some Disney dollars for my trip. Joke's on me! My $1649 purchase earned me....wait for it...16 Disney dollars. Holy crap! That enormous 1% reward would buy me 2 Mickey gingerbread cookies. If I'd used my SW card, I'd have earned enough points for a roundtrip flight from Sacramento to Orange County.

Whaaaaat??? That pretty castle picture now seems to be mocking me for not paying more attention.
You can get roundtrip airline ticket for 1649 points?

That pretty castle picture now seems to be mocking me for not paying more attention...
Yup, shoulda paid attention. Take some time before the holidays hit to look up the earnings rates for any cc's you have and decide which currency/cash back you want so you don't make this mistake again.

This card only has a place for people who want to: use the vacation financing feature, feel they need to guarantee their reward dollars are saved for Disney trips, just want a bonus. There is literally no other reason to put spend on a Disney card over a no annual fee 2% cashback card (WF and Citi offer those off the top of my head).

I'm not a magic key or direct DVC member, so I use it for discounts.

I use other cards for hotels and tickets.

You can in WDW, but it's never a good idea to use a debit card since they will put all kinds of holds on it throughout your stay. You cannot in DL.
And you have to be staying in a Disney resort (WDW). And @tlovesdis is right, you don't want to link a debit card. Use a credit card then the night before you leave (or sooner if you have a lot of charges), go to the front desk and use your debit card to pay.

You can get roundtrip airline ticket for 1649 points?
OMG. Ok, I'm an idiot lol. No, you're right, you can't get a RT flight for that. The return is actually fairly comparable for me to what the Disney card earns if you look at the average points-to-dollars ratio, so that comment of mine was dumb.

What I DO get with my expenditures is enough points for a companion pass, so DH and I can buy one ticket and get one free, every (SW) flight for a year. We went to Mexico and Hawaii plus several flights in the States using the companion pass and just earned it for another year. Couple that with flight sales and it's pretty great.

There are probably smarter strategies and better values in the credit card works, but as you can see, math is not my strong suit ha ha.

Yup, shoulda paid attention. Take some time before the holidays hit to look up the earnings rates for any cc's you have and decide which currency/cash back you want so you don't make this mistake again.

This card only has a place for people who want to: use the vacation financing feature, feel they need to guarantee their reward dollars are saved for Disney trips, just want a bonus. There is literally no other reason to put spend on a Disney card over a no annual fee 2% cashback card (WF and Citi offer those off the top of my head).

10% discount at select Disney locations and Chase offers are reasons to put spend on the Disney card over 2% cashback cards. The Disney card is currently my only card offering 5% back on Amazon through a Chase offer.

The other main use is for access to the photo opportunities and cardholder merchandise.

But a lot of people definitely fall into the trap of using his card for things where it's not ideal, likely because a lot of cardholders are Disney enthusiasts who don't really take time to think about credit card strategy.

10% discount at select Disney locations and Chase offers are reasons to put spend on the Disney card over 2% cashback cards. The Disney card is currently my only card offering 5% back on Amazon through a Chase offer.

The other main use is for access to the photo opportunities and cardholder merchandise.

But a lot of people definitely fall into the trap of using his card for things where it's not ideal, likely because a lot of cardholders are Disney enthusiasts who don't really take time to think about credit card strategy.
Or they believe that $10 to spend at Disney is better than $20 cash back.

Generally, cards that tie you to one particular company for rewards are a poor use of credit card spend, unless you’re going to do a hit-and-run promo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter