Chase Disney cc is a joke

This is what I do, too. I never carry a balance.
I'm a DAY ONE Disney Visa card carrier. The benefits were GREAT way back when. I have not/will not upgrade to the card that charges a yearly$50. BUT, I do use my Disney Visa for almost every single purchase I make and pay off quickly. I don't go to WDW every year and by the time I do, I have anywhere between $500 and $700. I want to visit WDW and this another way to save for that. Getting the extra 10% off on purchases is nice too. I'm just not interested in other CC incentives.

I'm a DAY ONE Disney Visa card carrier. The benefits were GREAT way back when. I have not/will not upgrade to the card that charges a yearly$50. BUT, I do use my Disney Visa for almost every single purchase I make and pay off quickly. I don't go to WDW every year and by the time I do, I have anywhere between $500 and $700. I want to visit WDW and this another way to save for that. Getting the extra 10% off on purchases in nice too. I'm just not interested in other CC incentives.
Cards which earn Chase Ultimate Rewards has a "use points to pay" feature. This is a far better return on purchases (you can use your points for your Disney charges) than the small return the Disney Visa offers. It's worth a look if this is what you use your Disney Visa for.

It sounds like it works pretty well for people with DVC and who make a lot of Disney purchases. I only earned $30 this year not counting the $16 I will get from renewing my pass. It's really far more valuable for me to get flight points because I always fly down to Disneyland and many of those flights are free thanks to my card. But maybe it's time for me to explore other cards--I'm just dragging my heels at researching it. I'm a creature of habit and dislike figuring out the options. I don't ever pay interest on credit cards, so that's not a concern, and I hate the idea of paying an annual fee with the hope that it will be offset by my expenditure gains. I'm also not a financial wizard (or even apprentice) so I like transparent and simple.

gmi3804, I'll check out Chase Ultimate Rewards.

It sounds like it works pretty well for people with DVC and who make a lot of Disney purchases. I only earned $30 this year not counting the $16 I will get from renewing my pass. It's really far more valuable for me to get flight points because I always fly down to Disneyland and many of those flights are free thanks to my card. But maybe it's time for me to explore other cards--I'm just dragging my heels at researching it. I'm a creature of habit and dislike figuring out the options. I don't ever pay interest on credit cards, so that's not a concern, and I hate the idea of paying an annual fee with the hope that it will be offset by my expenditure gains. I'm also not a financial wizard (or even apprentice) so I like transparent and simple.

gmi3804, I'll check out Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Yes, do. It's still better to get Chase Ultimate Rewards; the Sapphire Reserve card gives 3x points on travel charges (DVC dues count as travel), and then you can pay with points, which usually isn't the best use of points, but if that's what you need, then it's the best!

I have the regular too only because it’s frustrating to me to spend money to get money
But I know I’d see more return on 2%

Uuugh
It's still really not worth it, you are better off paying (if you are going to pay a fee for a credit card) for a card that has a higher percentage cash back on more categories. The Disney Visa is good for the resort discounts and 0% financing on Disney vacation packages. Otherwise, it's really not worth it, especially the upgraded version. They have been trying for years to get me to change to the Platinum card, hard no. I'll keep the free one, use it for the resort discounts, and pay it all off.

It's not a great card. I have the free one but find myself barely using it. I use other cards for everyday purchases and I get way better cashback. Also the Disney card have foreign transaction fees which is not good for me since I am planning trips to Japan and maybe Canada next year.

I was thinking about it for the $100 credit on your first statement..
that would be like a free spirit jersey or dessert party! Does that really happen or is it some bait and switch thing? Like when I order expensive skin care items during Amazon Prime Days and suddenly…my package is lost! Please cancel your delivery for a full refund….🤣

I was thinking about it for the $100 credit on your first statement..
that would be like a free spirit jersey or dessert party! Does that really happen or is it some bait and switch thing? Like when I order expensive skin care items during Amazon Prime Days and suddenly…my package is lost! Please cancel your delivery for a full refund….🤣
Yes, it really happens. It’s the only reason we signed up for the card. But $100 is not a good offer, I’m pretty sure we got at least $250 (for the no annual fee card). I would wait for a better bonus.

I find the one with a fee to be a little bit better - 2% on Disney and Dining isn't bad.. There are some cards that are better.

It's also nice that when you buy DVC or DCL you can spread the payments over 6 months at 0% instead of 9.99% with Disney for DVC or 20% on a regular credit card.
To me - this is the primary use for this type of card - or to use it in merch or other discounts if you aren’t AP/DVC etc … otherwise it’s not comparable to other rewards cars in any real sense …

Only reason to have one of those cards is to get access to package discounts (or if you aren't an AP member dining discounts). I've thought about getting one but we keep renting DVC so it would be pointless other than dining (but I'm thinking about getting AP so probably not). We use a chase sapphire preferred ($95/yr) for all travel 2% and dining 3% (1:1 points transfers airlines, best travel insurance benefits of any credit card). amex blue cash preferred ($95/yr) for gas 3%, groceries 6%, digital subscriptions 6%. Everything else we use citibank double cash 2% (no fee). Discover (not sure which one, no fee) has 5% categories (up to $1500) that change quarterly. The last 2 years in a row they've done restaurants Q2 and we've used it on the first (what a sad qualifier, lol) $1500 in dining expenses on our big WDW both times. The citibank double cash is without a doubt the real MVP though.

Last edited:
Only reason to have one of those cards is to get access to package discounts (or if you aren't an AP member dining discounts). I've thought about getting one but we keep renting DVC so it would be pointless other than dining (but I'm thinking about getting AP so probably not). We use a chase sapphire preferred ($95/yr) for all travel 2% and dining 3% (1:1 points transfers airlines, best travel insurance benefits of any credit card). amex blue cash preferred ($95/yr) for gas 3%, groceries 6%, digital subscriptions 6%. Everything else we use citibank double cash 2% (no fee) on everything. Discover has 5% categories (up to $1500) that change quarterly. The last 2 years in a row they've done restaurants Q2 and we've used it on the first (what a sad qualifier, lol) $1500 in dining expenses on our big WDW both times. The citibank double cash is without a doubt the real MVP though.
Thank you!!! This is great info!!

We dropped our Disney Visa. Kept the plastic and it still gets us into the Disney Visa Meet & Greet at Epcot which has been very cool every time! It’s open 1pm-7pm and the door is up to the left passing Figment. Not sure if they have an equivalent M&G at Disneyland?

I honestly don't get the complaints here. The Disney Visa is free to have, so boosts your credit limit and helps your credit score, (assuming you don't carry a balance). On top of that, you get a bonus for signing up, 10% off dining at the parks, 10% off some shopping, and 0% APR for 6 months on any packages purchased through Disney.

The perks aren't awful for a free card AND if you're a Disney park goer. It's not meant to be your main rewards card, because yes, those are bad compared to other cards.

I honestly don't get the complaints here. The Disney Visa is free to have, so boosts your credit limit and helps your credit score, (assuming you don't carry a balance). On top of that, you get a bonus for signing up, 10% off dining at the parks, 10% off some shopping, and 0% APR for 6 months on any packages purchased through Disney.

Agree with this. I joined for the $200 bonus. I ended up upgrading for a year and the extra percent was worth it. When the $49 fee came up on my recent statement I downgraded back to the free version. I will definitely keep it for park perks, especially since we will never have annual passes/magic keys again. (We live in Phoenix and my son just turned 19, so we'll probably just go every year or so now). I'm going to phase over to use a better rewards card in the future but I'm still keeping and grateful for my Disney Chase Visa.

I NEVER pay interest on it
The trick is using it as much as possible but paying off balance before it’s due/accrues any interest
Wasn’t insinuating that the readers are paying the interest. I’m sure there are thousands that carry a balance and do pay it

I'm happy to hear that it works for others. There is nothing much it does for me that I can't get elsewhere for much better returns, but I'm not sure what to do. Do I keep it and just not use it? If I get another card that is better for me, how does it affect my credit score-- I mean is it better to keep the Disney card or cancel it? I have a stellar credit score and would like to keep it that way.

I'm happy to hear that it works for others. There is nothing much it does for me that I can't get elsewhere for much better returns, but I'm not sure what to do. Do I keep it and just not use it? If I get another card that is better for me, how does it affect my credit score-- I mean is it better to keep the Disney card or cancel it? I have a stellar credit score and would like to keep it that way.
Never get rid of your oldest line of credit. You can confirm which card/account that is on your credit report. Beyond that, getting new credit cards dings you for inquiries but it has little actual impact on your credit. Adding extra credit cards can actually help your credit as well because credit usage goes down when you have more available credit.

Keep the card since it contributes to your average age of accounts, number of open credit lines and allows you to keep overall low utilization. The time to get rid of the card is if you're applying for credit and they specifically site too much outstanding credit and/or too many open accounts as the reason for denial or giving you low credit limits.

For example, if your third, fourth and fifth credit card with Chase were all opened with over $10,000 credit limits but then your sixth Chase card got a $5,000 limit and your seventh Chase card only came with a $2,000 limit then you know Chase doesn't want to give you any more credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter