~*~Cassie LIVE~*~ Day Three ~ Noel vs. The Hulk

>>^..^<<

Flat Cat
Welcome to Day 3 ~ Monday August 18th

I am writing our trip report a little early today as there is currently a torrential downpour and flashes of lightning that sent us running for our lives from the pool deck.

~~~

Our wakeup call today was music from "Men at Work" I forgot to mention that besides characters you can also choose music as your wake up.. such as Aerosmith, Beatles, etc...

The lounge was better this morning, not as mobbed as yesterday but we were there a wee bit later so maybe everyone was already off to the parks. There were no tables available so we took our food back to the room to have.

A quick walk to the water taxi and we were off to Islands of Adventure... our first stop "The Hulk" Noel was not tall enough to ride last year and this year she was still an inch under the height requirement line but I decided to give it a go... no one said a word to us but of course it all happened so fast - with FOTL there is no time for second thoughts - you are on so quick and then it's too late :) What a great ride... we screamed our heads off and loved the part where you fly through the foggy mist.

Noel (and I) were thrilled to conquer it and high fived each other! I was also very proud of Noel, she took it all in stride and didn't even bat an eye... it was like she just walked off of cinderella's carousel.

Next stop was the ride next to it... Storm Force? I think... very tame after Hulk.. next was Spiderman. I love the preshow area for this attraction but again with FOTL there is barely a second to stop and look at anything. Spiderman is a first rate 3D attraction - people who haven't tried Universal are really missing out.

Next was the Bilge Water Barges... I was soaked on this last year and refused to go so I waited in the baby swap area for Noel to ride and get soaked... when we left I noticed the Rip Saw Falls sign.. this was not running last time we were here so I thought I would give it a go... duh.. it's a WET ride too... but I figured it could't be as wet as Bilge Water... WRONG.. I was totally soaked... I also don't like the single file straddling way you have to sit on that ride - I will pass on it next time.

Next stop was Jurassic Park River Adventure - this is Noel's favourite ride and she enjoyed it twice.. once with me and once while I waited in baby swap. FOTL is so awesome we passed such a line up you would not believe... and then Noel went on again walking right by the same people STILL waiting for their first ride.

Next was our first disappointment of the parks - The DINO Discovery area is closed for refurbishment. There is a wall around what used to be the open staircase inside Burger Digs and the elevator is blocked off... I asked a CM (can you call these people CMs? maybe UM's?) and they said it should open mid November. Noel loved this area of hatching dinosaur eggs and finding fossils in the wall.. oh well

Next was the Flying Unicorn.. I love the area theming right down to the unicorn hoove prints in the pavement and the announcement "Secure all your charms and trinkets and keep your manes and tails inside car" :)

Boy it was Hot today... relentless sun, no clouds, a real fry an egg on the pavement kinda heat... I was starting to feel it so we bought 2 cokes and went to the Voyage of Sinbad Show .. we had a 20 minute wait till the show started but that was okay as we had our drinks and enjoyed the cool darkness of the theatre. We missed this show last year and did Posiedon's fury instead which was very lame... Sinbad is corny but has some good stunts and effects so we enjoyed it.

Next was Ice of the Duelling Dragons - again Noel was kicked off last year. After we were sitting on ICE - the guy came with the big stick, made her come off to be measure and then made us leave :( Today, however was no problem and we had a good laugh riding this roller coaster... definately not as dramatic or exciting as the hulk.

After this Noel wanted to have her fortune told at the tarot card tent but the wait was too long so we decided to leave it for another day.

We decided to have lunch at Mythos and I was not disappointed - this is a beautiful restaurant which is themed like the inside of limestone caves and caverns..a really neat place to dine. They say every one has a twin somewhere well our waiter's twin is Matt Damon.. he was the spitting image of him and when I asked he said people tell him that all the time.

Noel hated her lunch.. she ordered the Neutronic Chicken Fingers and they came with a coating that resembled deep fried skittles..bright red, yellow and blue dots all over them - she tried to eat them but just could not get passed the appearance so she just ate some fries.

I had the Balsamic Chicken which was served on a smoked cheddar & potato tart (hey, I'm not making this stuff up) it's says so on the menu. It was very good dish and I enjoyed it.

As Noel did not eat her lunch Matt Damon brought her rice krispie sushi which was really cute and tasty (the dessert - not the waiter) it looked just like sushi & california rolls but was made of rice krispies, candies, gummi worms (I think) and chocolate & strawberry sauce - Noel happily ate it all.

By now it was coming up for 2pm - we were hot and tired and full from our lunch... we decided it was time to head back for swimming but we heard the music from "One Fish Two Fish' and couldn't resist this ride! It is fun.. like Dumbo or Aladdin and MK with fish that spit water at you... the song is cute and catchy.

No tacky souveniers today (however, it is only 7:00pm - the night is young) Noel only bought a jurassic park pin at a cart in the Port of Entry - it will be interesting to see if she will trade it away when she has it on her Disney Lanyard.

What a hot walk to City Walk... man oh man - it was brutal and I kept casting a wary glance to the black storm clouds on the horizon - I had a feeling we were in for it - so we headed straight to the pool and our half day Cabana - # 5. I did not like this cabana as much... the TV did not get CNN, where the other 2 cabanas did. There were not as many channels for some reason and also the sun was beating in the front because of the direction it faces...

I heard the first rumblings of thunder in the distance and headed for the water. Fortunately we had a good 90 minutes to swim before the first flash and crack arrived - the whistles blew and the pool was closed just like that.

On the bright side - we were tired and ready for a rest... we took some soda from the cabana fridge and came to the room. Noel went to the lounge to borrow a DVD and I started my trip report for the day. Noel returned with Fantasia 2000 *gasp* a Disney Flick at Universal?! and she reported seeing hotdogs in the lounge. I was not hungry but Noel thought she might like to have one so she went back. I guess rice krispie sushi is not that filling :)

I went to the lounge for a cup and ice and am happy to report the lounge only had a few people in it, there was chardony and a rose' blush wine, there was beer in the bottle on ice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate (mix) three types of cheese, large soft pretzels in a warmer, dip and veggies and hot dogs and buns. The food looked good and was well presented.

This morning I asked a lounge staff member to make a reservation for me at Mythos and she said
"Oh - you can just walk in, no reservation needed for lunch" WRONG - we had a 20 minute wait today at Mythos - and this was only because I had my resort card.. others were being told 30-40 minutes... it was a pretty busy place.

Tonight I told the housekeeper to forget turndown as she was out in the hall when I went for ice... she looked sad about it LOL... I have been leaving tips for the housekeeper and turndown keeper... if they are one in the same person they will be able to retire soon :)

Noel just finished watching Fantasia - and is off to see what else they have and if there are any cookies out yet in the lounge... I don't know where she puts the food. It is still pouring outside - if you have seen the movie "The Perfect storm" it is something like that but replace George Clooney with Matt Damon and Mary Steenburgen with me :)

Well, heres to a quiet evening at Universal's Hard Rock, a good nights sleep and tomorrow we are off to Sea World for a reserved Adventure Express Tour - I am told we get to touch a penguin.. awwwwww..

Goodnight from the Hard Rock ;)

Except for the rain. I have been waiting for your report all day. I checked in at work and saw yesterday's report and thought of you and Noel today. Glad to hear you are having a wonderful time!!! Keep the reports coming!

Someone reported that there were Tornado Warnings, any truth to this?

Or was it just you on the HULK Ride!LOL

Scratch
:smooth:

A couple other things I wanted to mention while it is fresh in my mind.

No other park but Islands of Adventure gives me such a good feeling when I enter it. The theming of the port of entry with the shops and cobblestone streets, turrets and walls, it is such a nice area. :)

I have noticed at least 5 Universal Employees who are disabled, either using the motorized scooters or wheelchairs. Also a gate agent with the oxygen tank.. it is really nice to see these people with real jobs and they are great ambassadors to us guests, capable, efficient and friendly representatives of Universal.

About the hotel.. now that we are settled in I am noticing more and more cool and fun things.. like the beatles photos above my bed, Elvis above Noel's and little things like when I asked for the Sea World shuttle time the UM wrote it on some stationary that says "walk this way" Aerosmith concierge directions :)

Also around the pool there is a nice sandy area for little ones to play, the kiddie pool has a mosaic of turtles on the bottom and 3 water spray areas.... around the pool deck there are several, at least 4 areas with that soft padded non slip flooring and fountains spraying for the kids to play in... a really fun hotel.

You have to get a pool wrist band every day and it changes colour each day. They constantly check - and i have seen them aproach people on chairs to ask for ID then make go get bands.

Tornado warnings? Nothing that I have heard but I would not be surprised - the sky was black and the lightning incredible... we have a great view of mother natures fireworks from our room here on the 7th floor.

>>^..^<<

It sounds like you are having a blast!!:D I still can't wait to get there!:D :Pinkbounc

wdwfan... you will be here before you know it... make sure you have lots of sunscreen.

>>^..^<<

Hi! You are so generous to share your vacation time!!

Very interesting about the pool wristbands. In July this did not seem to be the case - maybe something new. My DD befriended a little girl and boy at the pool one afternoon while we were there and when it was time for us to go back to the room I spoke to the little girl's father briefly and it turned out he "lived about 45 min. away" - he'd just come for the afternoon to use the pool! I was so shocked and just couldn't believe someone would do that...sounds like he wasn't the only one!:rolleyes:

Enjoy!
Liz

P.S. check out the Hard Rock pins in the hotel shop if you haven't already. DD got a really cute surf board pin w/ Hard Rock Hotel Orlando on it-yellow stripes...:cool:

Hats off to you guys! You are a couple of daredevils. My BIL who loves coasters, reportedly got a little green on Dueling Dragons. I am quite impressed.

While I have been sure that a detour to Universal was bound to happen - your descriptions have really sparked my interest.

So now the challenge - BVC + AKL concierge, BCV + Poly concierge OR BCV + Onsite Universal?
Oh how I love these decisions....
Thanks Cass.
Keep having fun, with this much still ahead of you, you can pretend like it is never going to end.
Tammy
P.S.
When you get closer to BC time I have a restaurant you should try!

They were for the northwestern part of Osceola which is in the Disney area, but thank GOD nothing happened. Just really bad rain, lightening, and some hail.

but all is well now!

Cassie ~

Thanx for such a great trip report.

Glad that you and Noel enjoyed the Hulk. It's a shame that you missed DD perhaps next year. I am not too impressed with the single seating on Dudley, similar to Space Mountain although you get much wetter!! In was sitting in the front seat with a poncho on and I still got soaked.

Mythos is such a wonderful restaurant # glad you both enjoyed it.

Have a great time in Sea World.

Cassie,
Sounds like you and Noel are having a great time! We will be staying onsite (first time) at PBH in Dec. Your report is now making me rethink our choice. My DD is 13 and the Hard Rock sounds cool! We haven't been on the Hulk or Dueling Dragon yet! DD wants to but I'm the chicken! I'm going to do it though! I'm glad to hear you and Noel enjoyed those two nice coasters ;) Keep having fun! Enjoy Sea World!

Muffy

Hey Cassie, first I just want to say that I enjoy your trip reports so much that I actually look forward to them and am happy that you are staying for such a long time! lol

You and Noel sound like two peas in a pod and a couple of daredevils. I am trying to talk the dh into staying at HRH for a night or two when we get there in October but he's hell bent on sticking with just Disney this time. I am probably going to venture to the IOA for one day, I have never been there and I really want to go especially after reading you and Noel's adventure.

PS, is there any site that has pictures of those cabana's?? I would LOVE to see them!

THANKS!

Keep the reports coming Cassie...I'm enjoying them so much. Glad to hear you & Noel are having such a great time. :)

WOW, great report. How long are ya'll staying? We have reservation for sept 14-20 and we cant wait. Our son just started kindergarden and they have a fall break then, so we cant wait. Glad ya'll are having a good time.

I am really enjoying reading your trip reports! I know what you mean about the Neutronic Chicken Fingers at Mythos. My DS ordered those when we were there a few weeks ago. He didn't eat much. He kept saying how he didn't like sprinkles on his ice cream so why would they think he would like sprinkles on his chicken! LOL I think they should have a picture on the menu or warn people somehow of the presentation of this dish. Kids are picky about the way their food looks.

We stayed at RPR and pool hopped over to HRH one day. The kids loved the slide there. They gave us the wrist bands also and we were told that they do that because alot of people who aren't staying on property try to hang out at their pool. Funny thing was that as he was telling us this, he never checked to see if we were Universal hotel guests! I guess he assumed if we had the nerve to go ask for towels, then we were legal. LOL

Enjoy the rest of your trip! I can't wait to read more about it.

Thanks Cassie for you trip reports. The HRH is sounding better and better. We will be at Club Level in November and your first day report scared me. Now it sounds much calmer. I didn't realize that they sell pins in Universal also. I spent a fortune last week in Disney. Do they also sell those squished penny things too? My kids are going to love those rides!

Maryann:cool:

I am enjoying reading your trip reports. We always just do Disney on our vacation because we enjoy it so much. We are thinking about adding 2 additional nights to our Nov/Dec trip and since there may not be AP rates, we may just give Universal a try. It sounds like it is as much fun as the mouse!:D

I thought about you guys the other day and knew you must be there. Sounds like a blast so far!!!

Glad you are having a great time. I did Jurrasic Park with my 6 yr old son last November and he screamed the whole way thru it. Especially at the end. I felt like we were dropping forever before we hit the water. I just loved it, and I'm not a ride person!
Keep your reports coming! I love reading them!:D :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

ILUVTOGO - yes Universal has all the same crap for us to buy LOL, pressed pennies.. pins, lanyards, autograph books etc...

sherry - you would have a good time here onsite - FOTL rules!

themepark - I felt sorry for Noel, those chicken fingers looked nasty!

connab - 6 nights at Universal, 10 nights at Disney. :)

tammydel - you done all your laundry yet? LOL

>>^..^<<

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter