• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car recall help

As tvguy touched on, this is not a Nissan recall, nor do the parts come from Nissan. This is from their supplier, Takata. It's a massive recall, effecting millions upon millions of cars from all kinds of manufacturers. Yes, I've heard of cars sitting for 4, 5, 6+ months or longer. It's killing dealers too, because if they take an effected car in on trade, they're not supposed to put it on their lot for sale until the airbag is replaced. That leaves the dealer sitting on the car, so they don't like it any more than any of us do.

OP, it's possible the Nissan dealer had a supply of airbags from Takata. I would ask for the invoices and/or part numbers for what they put in the car.

Just my own $.02, I would NEVER go to a dealer shop for repairs, unless it was specifically required by recall. I can tell you they are horrid, you are far better off at a good independent shop.

Exactly. My neighbor could not find a dealer that would take his 2008 Lexus in as trade because in his case, the parts are not available yet. Funny thing is, if you have CarMax in your area, they link their cars to the recall page, and I haven't found one yet that has had the recall done on airbags.
Of course with a recall, your only option for a free repair is a dealer.

For everyone getting their airbag fixed like I did (passenger), ask the dealer the maker of your "NEW" airbag. My dealership said - surprise surprise, Takata!

I looked on the safecar website. It is saying recall incomplete so per that website it’s not done. I will check next week before I pick up the car.

Well yeah? They are replacing them with non-defective bags.
Well, no, Takata went bankrupt. That's why it's taking so long to get the recalls done. They're trying to find replacements that will work.

I keep getting notices from Ford about my car's air bag recall telling me to contact my dealer to schedule the work. However, calling the dealer doesn't work - there are no parts. And I live in an area that the defect is not as likely to manifest itself (not a ocean-side location) so my dealer isn't even at the top of the list to get the parts (whenever they become available).

So, yes, we're still driving the death-trap.

Last edited:
Our car needed the Takata airbag replacement. We took it to the dealership in August 2016, after deciding we didn't want it taking up space in our driveway and they gave us a rental car.....FOR NINE MONTHS!!!! We were high on the priority list and it still took nine months.

Last edited:
We have a 2011 Nissan versa sitting in our driveway not being used for a few months, because of the recall. They said parts are not gonna be ready until Spring 2018. They gave us a "loaner" car- a sweet 2017 Nissan Altima to use while we wait. We had to sign contracts and they took pics of the odometer and all to show proof we weren't driving it.

We have a 2011 Nissan versa sitting in our driveway not being used for a few months, because of the recall. They said parts are not gonna be ready until Spring 2018. They gave us a "loaner" car- a sweet 2017 Nissan Altima to use while we wait. We had to sign contracts and they took pics of the odometer and all to show proof we weren't driving it.
Sounds like Nissan dealerships are taking better care of their customers. We have a Ford, and they just keep telling us, "we don't have parts. We'll contact you when we do." No rental car. No warning about driving a dangerous car. Sure, we live in an area that doesn't have a high a risk of the airbags exploding, but the risk is still there. Especially if I have to drive it another 2 years before they get around to fixing it.

I'd pull my phone/camera out and inform them that I am recording for archival and legalistic purposes. Then the door will shut or you'll be given a straight answer. I suspect that the first will be employed.

Sounds like Nissan dealerships are taking better care of their customers. We have a Ford, and they just keep telling us, "we don't have parts. We'll contact you when we do." No rental car. No warning about driving a dangerous car. Sure, we live in an area that doesn't have a high a risk of the airbags exploding, but the risk is still there. Especially if I have to drive it another 2 years before they get around to fixing it.
Yeah, they are definitely taking care of us with it. We had never heard of having a "loaner" for that long before either, but they really don't want us driving it apparently. I'll take it, it puts less miles on both our vehicles.

Ours was a Toyota and they covered a rental for 9 months. Brand new car too.

I looked on the safecar website. It is saying recall incomplete so per that website it’s not done. I will check next week before I pick up the car.
I totally get your mistrust in the dealership. As of proof is the safecar website updated realtime or is there a delay in updating that information?

Well yeah? They are replacing them with non-defective bags.

Yes they are replacing them with same for same BUT will replace those “new” ones down the track,

From Australian Choice - https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/general/articles/takata-airbags-what-you-need-to-know-in-australia-230717#like for like

Could my airbag be replaced with a new version of the recalled airbag?
Defective Takata airbags have been replaced with identical defective Takata airbags, in some cases. This is being used as a temporary fix, swapping older airbags that have likely degraded with fresh iterations, in a move to lower the risk of a defective deployment. These airbags too will have to be recalled again.

Car manufacturers including Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, Mazda, BMW and Honda have confirmed they made like-for-like replacements in a fraction of cars. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles confirms Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep cars will not need to be recalled again. Most other car companies chose not to share this information when we asked.

Well, no, Takata went bankrupt. That's why it's taking so long to get the recalls done. They're trying to find replacements that will work.

Thats for maintenance work, not warranty or recall work. The manufacturer can dictate who is authorized to do warranty and recall work.
Correct. They usually require one of their dealers to do all the warranty and recall repairs. However I know Nissan has been sending some of their cars with bad transmissions to independent transmission shops because there is such a backlog the dealers are swamped.

Guys see my first post. Safecar still not saying done a week later and another local dealer saying it’s showing not done and they haven’t received any parts

My answer would still be the same. Ask the dealer for proof the work was complete. They should have invoices and/or part serial numbers. It's possible the dealer hasn't put it into their system, or hasn't pushed the data out yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter