Car recall help

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
My car was recalled for a faulty airbag about two months ago. It's been at the dealership since then. Everything I've read is the replacement parts won't be available until spring of next year. Well I get a call today and they are claiming my car is ready.

I called the manufacture directly, and they found my account. They stated there are no recalled parts available and gave me the same spring 2018 line.

Due to some issues with the dealership, I do not trust them. I know if they didn't properly replace the items, its a huge liability, but it just doesn't sit right.

How can I confirm both the passenger and drivers side airbag have been properly replaced?

Update: safecar website still showing recall incomplete. I’ve also contacted another local dealer and they’ve yet to receive parts. They also checked my vin and it’s say not completed. I’ve left a message for the dealership with 3/4 other places saying it’s not done. Safecar/ other dealer saying parts not available/ them checking my vin with Nissan/ and calling nissan directly.

Last edited:
My car was recalled for a faulty airbag about two months ago. It's been at the dealership since then. Everything I've read is the replacement parts won't be available until spring of next year. Well I get a call today and they are claiming my car is ready.

I called the manufacture directly, and they found my account. They stated there are no recalled parts available and gave me the same spring 2018 line.

Due to some issues with the dealership, I do not trust them. I know if they didn't properly replace the items, its a huge liability, but it just doesn't sit right.

How can I confirm both the passenger and drivers side airbag have been properly replaced?

I'd straight up tell them that you spoke to the manufacturer and that they said the parts wouldn't be ready until 2018 to see what their response is.

I did. The guy said he wasn’t sure why because nissan had sent them a few parts but couldn’t explain their answer. Said he’d have to have my service tech call me tomorrow. I also can’t stand my service tech. He’s lied to my face multiple times. Strange I got told it’s fixed a day after I posted on their Facebook page a review about the poor service they give and how I received a rental in bad shape.

Be assertive! It’s your car and you want it fixed properly. Make them show you some proof that it was fixed..ask what the part number was that they used and then call the manufacturer while you’re still at the dealership.

Yup. That's what I'd suggest too. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can play it from the angle of "gosh! I hope the manufacturer didn't make a mistake! We better call and straighten this out!"

Nissan is paying. I will call nissan next week while I’m there to show my end.

The dealership is making so much off the recall. They own the rental car place and make $1200 a month!

Be assertive! It’s your car and you want it fixed properly. Make them show you some proof that it was fixed..ask what the part number was that they used and then call the manufacturer while you’re still at the dealership.

Don't just ask for the part number, it doesn't need to be in your car for them to know what that is.
If you don't trust them then take it to another Nissan dealer and have them verify that it has been done.

Nissan is paying. I will call nissan next week while I’m there to show my end.

The dealership is making so much off the recall. They own the rental car place and make $1200 a month!
How are they making money? Is Nissan paying them?

Personally, I'd find another dealership.

Why take it there at all if you don't trust them?
Not OP, but for me, I live in the biggest city around and would have to travel 3 hours to get to another dealership that serviced my vehicle make. I do not trust my local dealership and when I have to have warranty work done, I dread it.

When I have work done at the dealership, they always show me the used/bad parts that were replaced. But I am in agreement with most others, call the manufacturer while sitting at the dealership. You talk to them and make the dealership talk to them. If you aren't happy, or suspect the recall wasn't done right, take it to another dealership and have them check it. Good luck!

How are they making money? Is Nissan paying them?

Personally, I'd find another dealership.
Yes, dealerships make A LOT of money doing warranty and recall work for the auto maker. Lots.

The Takata airbag recall impacts 40 million cars, and the goal is to have all the airbags replaced by 2019. It is going to take a long time to complete. Cars dating back to 2002 are in the recall.

Something certainly is fishy with your dealer. They are suppose to report to the auto maker when the airbags are replaced. The automaker then reports (using your cars VIN) that the car was fixed to the NHTSA.. So they certainly need to explain why Nissan doesn't know about the repair. Or find another Nissan dealer as suggested.

Here is the website to check your VIN to see if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been notified if your air bags have been fixed.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Here is background information on the recall.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...now-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

We had this recall with our Versa. The dealership had us take the car home, but we signed something stating we wouldn't drive it, and they gave us a rental, which they changed out once. The lady at the dealership said it was costing Nissan $900 a month for the rentals (they were using newish cars with less than 5,000 miles on them).

We got our car done a couple of weeks ago (Chicagoland) -- the drivers and passengers airbags needed replaced, and the parts arrived. Originally they said it would be spring as well. We were fine with the rental and were a little disappointed it didn't take nearly as long as it was supposed to.

Hope yours gets taken care of quickly.

ETA: They did try to get us to have a front axle boot replaced, but we took it to our mechanic. He did agree with their assessment, but charged only 1/3 of the price quoted by the dealership.

Last edited:
Not OP, but for me, I live in the biggest city around and would have to travel 3 hours to get to another dealership that serviced my vehicle make. I do not trust my local dealership and when I have to have warranty work done, I dread it.
I wouldn't take my car somewhere I didn't trust. warranty or no warranty. That just to me just seems to be asking for problems.

As tvguy touched on, this is not a Nissan recall, nor do the parts come from Nissan. This is from their supplier, Takata. It's a massive recall, effecting millions upon millions of cars from all kinds of manufacturers. Yes, I've heard of cars sitting for 4, 5, 6+ months or longer. It's killing dealers too, because if they take an effected car in on trade, they're not supposed to put it on their lot for sale until the airbag is replaced. That leaves the dealer sitting on the car, so they don't like it any more than any of us do.

OP, it's possible the Nissan dealer had a supply of airbags from Takata. I would ask for the invoices and/or part numbers for what they put in the car.

Just my own $.02, I would NEVER go to a dealer shop for repairs, unless it was specifically required by recall. I can tell you they are horrid, you are far better off at a good independent shop.

Your car has been at the dealer for 2 months? :scratchin
My Equinox was sitting at the dealership for a month while they tracked down a mystery moving random misfire. Turned out to be a actuator solenoid needing replaced. It was really frustrating.

Fortunately, the got us a free loaner and didn't charge us for the repair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter