• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't do it anymore: Studio for 3

CarnotaurDad

DIS Veteran
We came back recently from a great five night stay at VWL. Our DD is 7 and we were able to snag a studio using our points. Many of our other trips were in 1 BR but we thought "Ehhh, we will be fine."

How silly we were. Some of the things we missed:

* Light packing. Yeah, I know there are laundry machines we can use in the resorts, but there's something great about having the washer and dryer right there.

* The tub. Huge difference having that jacuzzi tub at the end of the day.

* More room. Our daughter can sleep on the pullout in a 1 BR and my DW and I can stay up and chat in our room. Also, more space for all the new souveniers we purchase each visit.

* Did I mentione more room?

Anyways, it will probably be 1 BR for all three of us from now on. That's what points are for anyways, right?

Yep...... after our very first stay, which was in a 1 BR, we discovered that true luxury for us is SPACE. Space for DH and I to nap and watch whatever we want on TV and get up whenever we want or stay up as late as we want without disturbing the other; space for the blessed W/D, so we definitely pack less and never worry about what we wear; space for the wonderful balcony; space for a couch/comfy chair for each of us; space for a regular refrig to make our own ice cubes; space for a separate room for the jacuzzi.

When DH agreed to buying AKV is came with one rule. No more studios EVER. I used the developer's points to change half of our June trip to a one bedroom, but the first four nights we spent in a studio at VWL. DH says we have to go back to VWL because right now it is his least favorite but that he doesn't think it got a fair shot. We are definitely one bedroom snobs.

I would have loved to have a one bedroom when my DS's were growing up in the '80s. Finally we did "find" the FW trailers and that became my favorite accomodations. As empty nesters now, studios are fine for us, for me, it's all about having a balcony!:goodvibes I wouldn't ever "put" our family members with children into studios, they're luckier than we were when they were growing up!

I'm glad you have the points to vacation like you want to!!!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Well now I'm worried. We have a 1 bedroom for the first 6 nights of our trip and then we switch to a studio. Our April trip we only have a studio...........will we really miss the 1 bedroom?

~Amanda

I totally agree. There are three of us, and we bought in with the intention of staying at studios. THEN we tried a 1-bedroom. There is no going back. :lmao: So we bought another hundred points and now we only have to borrow a little bit each year to stay in a 1-bedroom. Even though the three of us do fit in a studio, having the laundry in the room, the jacuzzi and all that space is worth any price. Having to do laundry at 2:00am in the laundry room last July sealed it for me. :laundy:

Well now I'm worried. We have a 1 bedroom for the first 6 nights of our trip and then we switch to a studio. Our April trip we only have a studio...........will we really miss the 1 bedroom?

~Amanda

Yes you will miss the 1br.

Oh no!! We just jointed DVC and said, when we bought in, that we'd be fine with staying in a studio while the boys are young. And a SSR studio in May was fine for us and we actually enjoyed the little bit of extra room that the studio offered over a non-DVC room. This October we are staying one night in a studio at OKW and then five nights in a one bedroom at VWL and I'm now fearing that we'll be forever spoiled. Ack!! I hope we don't get a case of 'addonitis' so that we can start staying in the one bedrooms from now on.

We are so spoiled by the 1BR that I want one even when I travel alone! I love the washer/dryer, I use it almost every day and I actually use the kitchen, which is unbelievable :lmao:

The studios really aren't bad, they are roomier than the standard hotel room but I love my 1BR!!

We always stayed in studios when our 2 kids were little. Since we bought sight-unseen, we had never even seen a 1-bedroom. We became creative microwave cooks and even made it through a 12-night stay once in a studio at the BWV. The studios are better than regular hotel rooms, so we were fine (we were at WDW after all, so what's to complain about?).

Then, we tried a one-bedroom. Since then it's hard to return to a studio. We love the space, the full kitchen, the washer/dryer. It's all very comfortable. We added on, figuring that since my DH and I almost never get away together, having more space at WDW with the kids would make it more of a vacation for us. We used to switch to a studio for the weekend to save points, but now we go every other year so we can do the 7 nights in a 1-bedroom (we also appreciate not switching rooms). I think the larger room makes for a more relaxing trip - we tend to spend more time in our room than we used to, which is actually a good thing on a vacation. At this point, we would rather go less often and stay in better accommodations. As our kids get older (they are teens now) this plan fits their schedules better, too, and the extra space is even more appreciated.

By the way, our contract is split with other family members. Four families bought 220 points (or 55 points per year each). After five years, we added on 55, so now we have 110 annually, or 220 to use if we go every other year.

Be warned - this is a progressive disease!

We stayed in a studio for our first DVC stay, then progressed to a one-bedroom for the next several visits.

Our last two stays have been in 2 bedrooms - the most recent one with just the 4 of us....it was heaven! Now my teen dd's think we should always make sure they each get their own bed! :lmao:

Unfortunately, trying a 1 BR does get you an immediate case of "add-on-itis". Trying different DVC resorts will get you an immediate case, too.

For all the negative posts going on around us on Disboards about DVC, the fact remains that there is no better way to stay at WDW.

As mentioned above, the studios are better than any normal hotel room on property and better than most of the hotel rooms off property. Don't be worried about staying in a Studio, but do know that once you go to a 1 BR it is really, really, REALLY hard to go back to a studio.

We haven't stayed in a DVC studio for a long time, but we do take at least one non-Disney vacation (in addition to our Disney vacation) every year. So we do stay in studio/single room accomodations pretty often at those times. More space is great, can't beat it, but it's important to remember that the majority of vacationers do quite well without multi-bedroom suites. As do we when we are roughing it in NYC or Las Vegas or San Francisco or where ever...

We've stayed in 1BRs, 2 BRs, and studios. Our studio stays have mostly been at OKW, and if it's just the three of us (DW, DD5, and me), we're fine with an OKW studio because of the two queen beds. Sometimes we do studios to save points, sometimes we go 1 BR.

We stayed recently in a BCV studio, and really did not like the new sofabeds. Yeah, I know they're better than the old ones, but I don't think I would ever do a studio again except at OKW. I can skimp a little on space, but not on sleepability...even if it's not a word.

Yes. Condo style vs. hotel room. There is no comparison.

~Amanda

I'm obviously in the minority, but I'm much more interested in the resort than the room size. I'd rather stay in a studio at BCV than a 1BR at a resort that I like less.

Just me! :)

We like the 1 bedroom also for the KING size bed. We are tall and a Queen bed just doesn't work. We might have been tempted with a studio if it had a King size bed (especially when it's just the two of us) but because we want a KING rather than Queen, we stay in 1 BR. Also, L-O-V-E the washer/dryer and full size refrigerator.

We are so used to villas, that when we stayed at a Universal resort to get the "front of the line" privileges, we felt cramped in "a hotel room" and my DH asked when DVC was going to build at Universal :rotfl2:. Needless to say, we now don't do hotels at all unless it's an emergency, but I'm very glad the studio is an option for anyone who wants/needs it.

I'm trying to picture all 9 of us in a studio...:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
Even the new 2-bedrooms at AKV feel a little bit cramped! :lmao:

Hey, if we have 3 of us going, we get a 2 bedroom! The one bedroom is for us as a couple.

~Amanda

Well... Not necessarily. If it is just you, DH, and your cute infant... then you can be ok if you understand that you will need to travel to the laundry room. You won't be preparing in-home meals (maybe that's a plus for you). The 1 bdrm simply offers you the opportunity to live like you do at home, but if you are comfortable living restaurant style and taking your laundry up to or down to the laundry room... then you will be ok. Many people love camping outdoors (as opposed to indoors) and they wouldn't even consider rooming it.

All things considered... you will probably enjoy the 1bdrm and after staying in a studio, understand why you enjoyed the 1bdrm, but you can certainly enjoy the studio. Sometimes it is a compromise. Sometimes, like at VB, in the Inn room, you just want that ocean view. Don't make any changes at this point. Just experience the situation so you will have the experience to make decisions for your next 100 vacations.

:beach: Truly... Experience it....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter