Candy Apples, Monsters, Haunted Houses, Scare Zones, Strange Things an Exorcist and more. Is there a Doctor in the House? HHN 32 trip.

There seems to be an overall difference of experiences folks are sharing on the TM’s rushing people through the houses. It varies from folks being upset at being required to walk through quickly and those that said they were not rushed.

I remember when I went through “Stanger Things“ house for the last time the TM at the door was telling people to stay close to the person in front of you. I don‘t walk that fast so it was never really a problem for me overall.
I am very much a "follow the rules" gal - I always try to be courteous and respect all guidelines a venue or company sets. But this year I made an exception for the first time: I intentionally hung back a few feet in each house, so there was a bit of a gap between the party in front and us - nothing that would seriously delay the line behind us - I just let them maintain enough of a lead, so that they were occasionally out of sight or several feet ahead by the time we turned the corner or entered a new scene.

This allowed the SAs a few seconds to reset and reappear as we walked by. I got sooo many more scares and far better experiences this year vs all the past years when I constantly rushed to keep pace with the folks in front of me just because the TMS demanded it.

I just let the SAs wave their flashlights and arms as they pleased, never making direct eye contact. Not a single one yelled or seemed annoyed at all. I think they understood. As long as I kept moving, they were ok with it.

(If you don't see the jiffy pop at your local WM, look on their website. That's where I found it.)

This allowed the SAs a few seconds to reset and reappear as we walked by. I got sooo many more scares and far better experiences this year vs all the past years when I constantly rushed to keep pace with the folks in front of me just because the TMS demanded it.
Glad to hear you were able to enjoy the houses at your pace.

Last years HHN was busy, but this year by far was the busiest in all the years I have attended.

Not sure if it was the IP’s that were popular or if it is that HHN is just growing.

September 13th continued

After I left the Blue Man Group theatre I had a walk back into the park to look at the merch in the big Universal Store.

I had noticed these Luna Lovegood small stuffed dolls on this trip. I have Harry, Hermione and Ron under my WWOHP Tree at home so I was pondering adding more characters.

IMG_6860.jpeg

There are so many good options for merch at Universal.

The Owl Post delivery Owl was a cute backpack as was Hogwarts Castle one. They do a nice job of making the matching wallets with their backpacks.
IMG_6862.jpeg

IMG_6863.jpeg

I had my eye on a few T-shirts, but did not want to decide yet. For sure a Stanger Things shirt was coming home with me. I liked this one because it had Vecna, the Upside Down, Demobats, The Creel House, Grandfather Clock and more.
IMG_6865.jpeg

The waist packs seemed to be pretty popular as folks were buying them up.
IMG_6866.jpeg

I was pretty tired after the Tour and perusing the store so I headed for the Water Taxi. Thankfully there was one waiting. It was about 3:30 pm and I was ready to get back to the room have a nice shower and rest.

When I got back to the room the air conditioning felt wonderful. My sister K had been to CityWalk and the Villa Pool while I was on the Tour and there was a nice surprise waiting for us.

Some wine, fruit and cheese snacks. It was a nice surprise. Portofino is a beautiful Resort and they do take care of their guests.
IMG_6868.jpeg

I was ready for a shower and a little nap. It had been a long fun day and I was ready for a rest.

After a good snooze I woke up and it was almost 6 pm. My sister K and I went to the club lounge to see what was for dinner.

There was a couple salad selections baked chicken, steamed veggies, rolls, soup, fruit, cold meat selection and cheeses and fruit. There was plenty of things to choose from for a meal.
IMG_6871.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

After dinner we went back the room and watched a little TV and we both called our hubby’s to let them know about the days events.

Before we new it was 11:30 pm and it was time to go to sleep.

To be continued

IMG_2642.gif

Last edited:
Glad to hear you were able to enjoy the houses at your pace.

Last years HHN was busy, but this year by far was the busiest in all the years I have attended.

Not sure if it was the IP’s that were popular or if it is that HHN is just growing.
i actually have to say oct wasn't that bad - of course it was very busy, but not "out of control" busy like I was reading people experienced in september. i think it's a far better time to visit - I never go in sept. Oct has nicer weather, less rain chance and all the Rush With Fear folks/premium AP free nights are not eligible to attend those evenings: I think it helped reduce guest volume quite a bit.

She let me know that people who are camping in tents are primitive camping. Meaning they do not have running water or electricity or a bathroom. This scene made me think of that.
We were of that ilk, thankfully, it’s been a long time. Ground gets harder as you age

loving the pics, my middle DS said it reminded him of our camping days. His vision isn’t that great, he will really enjoy those pics, thank you :)
I can remember buying Jiffy Pop many years ago. I will have to see if our local Walmart carries it.
Haha we have it in ours. I’ve morphed over to jolly time MW version which is full of that bad for you but, as a splurge, delightfully “butter” tasting.

i actually have to say oct wasn't that bad - of course it was very busy, but not "out of control" busy like I was reading people experienced in september. i think it's a far better time to visit - I never go in sept. Oct has nicer weather, less rain chance and all the Rush With Fear folks/premium AP free nights are not eligible to attend those evenings: I think it helped reduce guest volume quite a bit.
I used to go the end of September into October and that time was busy for me. I started going earlier in September as that time worked better. I have been an AP holder for years and do enjoy the ROF with EP.

I just think there are more people going to HHN and the Stranger Things house and The Last of Us house were very big draws as both have a big fan base.

We were of that ilk, thankfully, it’s been a long time. Ground gets harder as you age
I bet it does get harder as you get older. I bet your children loved it.

loving the pics, my middle DS said it reminded him of our camping days. His vision isn’t that great, he will really enjoy those pics, thank you :)
So glad you and your son enjoyed the pics. Hope he is doing well.

Haha we have it in ours. I’ve morphed over to jolly time MW version which is full of that bad for you but, as a splurge, delightfully “butter” tasting.
Popcorn is just one of those fun snack foods. Those Jiffy Popcorn tins were interesting to watch. The foil dome expanded as you know when the popcorn kernels popped and wala popcorn.

Robbie
Totally loving your trip report and the pictures!
Thank you Mac so glad you are enjoying the trip report and the photos.

They are so clear and the best
Thank you, The Apple phone cameras do a great job with the photos.

Thursday, September 14th

Woke up this morning and sun was shining. That was a good sign as today the plans were to be pool Divas for the first part of the day. My sister K and I went down to the Club lounge for a lite breakfast. I needed a little coffee to get the day started.

After breakfast we went back up and got into our swimsuits and pulled together are needed pool supplies, books, sunscreen, sunglasses, phones etc..then it was time to go and enjoy some pool time.

We were going to The Villa Pool. I like the fact that it is a more quiet and laid back there. I also like the fact that if no one is in the pool yet I can get in and swim a few laps.

I had to think about the shortest way to the pool from where our room was located. It was easy.

IMG_6881.jpeg

When you enter the pool area from the front gate you have plenty of lounge chair covers for and towels to pick up. There is also fruit ice water for you to enjoy.

You do need your room Key to enter any of the pool areas.

IMG_6874.jpeg

After getting our chairs set up I decided to have a swim. There was no one in the pool.
IMG_6873.jpeg

The Villa Pool area is very nice. This is a more quiet pool area compared to the beach pool.

IMG_6876.jpeg

They do have outdoor rinse off shower available.
IMG_6878.jpeg

There is also a locker/dressing room with restroom.
IMG_6879.jpeg

There is a hot tub and cold plunge pool also near the Dressing Room building. These areas are starting to look a little dated.

IMG_6880.jpeg

After my swim I decided to have a walk over to the Beach Pool. When I would travel with my grandchildren when they were younger they liked the Beach Pool better. They have lots of nice activities for the young ones.

To get to the Beach Pool from the Villa Pool you just walk out the front gate of the Villa Pool and walk a few steps across the walkway and you are at the a beach Pool.
IMG_6882.jpeg

The Beach Pool is a lot bigger then the Villa Pool. There is Splendido Pool side restaurant you can go and order food. There are tables in the outdoor area of the restaurant or you can sit pool side and the Pool waiters and waitresses will take your your food and drink orders from you at your lounger and deliver you food and drink to you.

You can also order drinks and food poolside at the Villa Pool. There is a 18% gratuity that will be applied to all food and drinks ordered pools side or at the restaurant.
IMG_6884.jpeg

You can see there are some sandy areas at this pool also.
IMG_6885.jpeg

Last edited:
When you enter the Beach Pool you also have access to lounger covers and towels as well as fruited ice water and sunscreen.
IMG_6902.jpeg

This is a photo of Splendido
IMG_6901.jpeg

This is a shallow area for the little ones to play in.
IMG_6886.jpeg

IMG_6898.jpeg

These is a slide at this pool.
IMG_6889.jpeg

There is also a nice splash pad area for the little ones to play at.
IMG_6887.jpeg

IMG_6888.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg

The pool and the Hot tub at both the Villa and Beach Pool are handicapped accessible.

IMG_6894.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

There is a nice inclined area that leads to the Cabanas for wheel chairs or scooters.

Last edited:
I did have a nice soak in the hot tube while at the beach pool. I do like the hot tub better at the beach pool.

After a rest at the hot tub I headed back to beach pool.

There are Cabanas for rent at the Beach Pool and the Villa Pool.

The beach pool Cabanas rent for $ 250.00 per day. You have loungers outside your Cabana. There is a table and chairs in your Cabana as well as a small sofa type lounger. There is a TV, phone, safe and small refrigerator stocked with 6 non-alcoholic drinks. Also with your Cabana rental you area assigned someone from the wait staff to look after you. A fruit tray is included in your rental as well.
IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpeg

IMG_6893.jpeg

IMG_6900.jpeg

There are Cabanas for rent at the Villa Pool also. The rental fee for those is $150.00. It comes with table and chairs inside as well as TV. There are two loungers located outside the Cabana. There is not a phone, safe or refrigerator. Six none alcoholic drinks are still included as well as the fruit tray.
IMG_6877.jpeg

It was time to head back to the Villa Pool. You do pass by the Mandara Spa on the way to the Villa Pool.
IMG_6903.jpeg

To be continued

IMG_2659.gif

Last edited:
Nice overview on the cabana types. As the rentals go, their rates strike me as among the more reasonable.
You’re right the Cabanas are a good value. I have rented the ones at the beach pool and have had a wonderful time there with the grandchildren over the years.

Sapphire Falls Cabanas in the past were a good value also. They have a lot more Cabanas to rent there. You get the same set up with 6 nonalcoholic drinks and fruit tray. I think they gave a discount percentage on food too. Not sure if that is still the case.

I often see people setting up for obvious BD parties.

Have wondered if they permit locals to rent them (if not registered guest)

Thursday, September 14th continued

I forgot to add on the Cabana rentals. Have a look around at the Beach Pool and Villa Pool at Portofino and the pool at Sapphire Falls and decided which Cabana you are interested in renting and let them know. They will try and accommodate your request.

Also if it starts storming and raining and there is lightening with in a 3 mile radius of the resort you have to leave the pool deck. The life guards will let you know when to leave the area ahead of time.

As far as the Cabanas are concerned in the event of a storm if you have been at your Cabana enjoying the sun and fun before the storm starts. You can return to your Cabana if there is an all clear by the life guards later in the day.

If the day has been a wash out and you were only able to enjoy a couple of hours at your Cabana talk to the them and they will work with you on a solution.

If you have rented a Cabana for the day and it is storming in the morning and you are not able to check in and take possession of the Cabana you can talk to them about rescheduling your Cabana rental to another day if available or get a refund.

Portofino is wonderful at taking care of their guests. I have never had an issue when renting one of their Cabanas.

After getting back to the Villa Pool it was time for a drink. I had seen the larger drink containers last year when we were there. They are not on the menu, but we asked and they still had them.
IMG_6904.jpeg
It is 32 ounces of the cocktail and is $ 30.00. A regular size cocktail is 16 ounces and is $ 16.00 dollars. We both chose the RIvera-Bacardi Superior Rum, Mango, Pina Colada with Strawberry Lava Flow. It is frozen and it was very good.

We enjoyed the pool and talking away the afternoon.

The Villa Pool has mostly adults there lounging and reading books or just visiting with family. I do see children there occasionally, but not very often.

We stayed until about 2:00 pm and decided to head back to the room.

We took the back gate walkway. You come out of the back gate then turn right and go past the Laundry room then right and then left up the steps and it will bring you to the Courtyard with the fountain. This is located by the Guest Services and the Lobby.

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

This was a more direct route for us to where are room was located.

We took our turns getting a nice hot shower. We decided to go and see what was on offer for an afternoon snack at the Club Lounge.

There was a nice selection of fruit and veggies as well as chips and salsa and warm pretzels.

The Salsa was really good and the chips were crispy. It was a nice little snack.

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

After the snack we headed back up to the room. I took a nice nap because we were going to HHN this evening.

After a nice nap It was about 5:30 pm so we decided to go down and see what was for dinner in Club Lounge. The menu for the evening is actually up by the check in desk in the morning, but neither one of us looked at it.

There was a nice salad selection, cold meats and cheeses, rolls, Italian roast beef, Tortellini, mixed streamed veggies, soup and fruit.
IMG_6922.jpeg

IMG_6923.jpeg

IMG_6924.jpeg
The food was good. We did not need a lot as we were going to be doing a lot of walking this evening at HHN.

The lounge was not busy at all. We always enjoyed sitting by the window areas so we could see out on the Bay.

IMG_6869.jpeg

As we were having dinner it started to rain lightly.

By the time we were done with dinner I had heard thunder in the distance. We went up to the room to get ready to leave and I noticed the boat had returned, but was not leaving again. There must have been lightening in the area.

To be continued

IMG_2621.gif

Last edited:
I often see people setting up for obvious BD parties.

Have wondered if they permit locals to rent them (if not registered guest)
When you rent them they want your room number and information. So I would guess only onsite resort guests can rent them.

A few years ago I was walking down the Hallway to go to the Beach Pool and a group of moms were coming out of a few rooms with party decorations and they had rented Cabanas at the beach pool for a party. Sounded like they had rented the rooms for Friday and Saturday Night.

That one time was the only time I have ever seen a Birthday Party at the Cabanas.

Last edited:
Thursday, September 14th continued

Before we left the room I looked out across the Bay and the Water Taxi was still not moving. We decided to take the bus over to CityWalk. At Portofino Bay you catch the bus not in front of the checkin driveway. When you come out the door you follow The sidewalk to the left like you are going to the parking elevator. You stay on sidewalk passing the elevator continuing on until you reach another area where the bus runs.

We waited for about 20 minutes and a number of other folks started to show up to take the bus also.

Finally the bus arrived and we left. The bus stopped at the HardRock and no one was there to get on the bus.

We arrived to the CityWalk bus drop off and took the escalator to the top floor. This is were people are coming in from the connecting bridge from the parking lot. They had what would have been a direct walk to security screening gated off.

We had to walk way out of the way and then back around to get to security for our check in to continue onto the CityWalk were the two moving walkways are. It was a way for them to help crowd control I guess, but it was a massive amount of unnecessary additional walking and people were grumbling loudly.

Finally all the extra walking aside we were here for our first night of HHN and I was so looking forward to it. IMG_6925.jpeg

IMG_6926.jpeg

As soon as we entered my sister seen the maps. So we did pick up a map. Last year there were no maps. You had to use the App on your phone and you could still do that this year, but I always like having a paper map to look at to locate the houses and Scare Zones and they are nice little keepsake from the event.

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_6927.jpeg

Our plan was to do all the houses at the front of the Park first.

We had EP so we were thinking this won’t be to bad. Our first house of the night was BloodMoon Dark Offerings.

We both commented on how even though it was hot and humid there was just a hint of a breeze. That was until you had hiked to the back lot leading to the house and there is no air moving between the buildings.

The wait time was 60 minutes on this house. After we had hiked back to the house we were in the house in 15 minutes.

I was so glad I had seen the house on the UMH Tour. It really made me appreciate the house much more. It was a good house.

Next house was The Exorcist. I just did not get this house. There were not many scares when we walked through. As I have said before you really have to walk through a house more then once to appreciate it and this was one of those houses for me. This house was a 15 minute wait with EP.

Next house was Stranger Things. I was looking forward to seeing this house in the dark. It was a good house on the UMH Tour. This house had a longer wait time and with EP we were able to get in the house in 20 minutes. The house was great and I did enjoy all the scares.

We did notice that it was busy for a Thursday. Last year I had noticed what we long time attendees called the non busy nights on Wednesday and Thursday were now busier then in years past. This was to be the case the remainder of our visit.

Next House was Dueling Dragons: Choose thy Fate. I had really liked this house in the dark. I chose Ice and at the end I saw Merlyn. My favorite wizard was alive and intact. With EP this house was only 15 minutes wait.

Wow we were doing great buzzing through the houses.

Next house was YETI: Campground Kills. Not sure why, but the hike back to this house seemed longer. I think the heat and humidity was starting to take its toll. With EP our wait was only about 15 minutes.
IMG_6931.jpeg

IMG_6929.jpeg

After hiking back out of the YETI house we needed to take a rest and hydrate.
We were hot and tired. It was like the heat had finally zapped our energy. Good thing by sister had stuck her Mickey fan in her purse. It was a way to get a little air while we were enjoying our beverages.

After a little rest we walked over to the Tribute Store.

The Tribute Store was busy so I took a few photos were I could. I knew I would be back again.

I always marvel at the talent that goes into creating the Tribute Store. It was like walking into a Horror comic.

IMG_6934.jpeg

IMG_6935.jpeg

IMG_6936.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6941.jpeg

IMG_6942.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

IMG_6944.jpeg

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_6947.jpeg

This year you could pay to have your photo put on one of the Comics as you entered the Tribute Store.
IMG_6948.jpeg

IMG_6949.jpeg

It is always so clever of the Chef‘s to make desserts that go with the house themes.

IMG_6950.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg

IMG_6952.jpeg

IMG_6953.jpeg

IMG_6954.jpeg

IMG_6955.jpeg

IMG_6957.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter