Canada to announce new travel restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, they dangle the carrot so it's not a shock and then take forever to announce what they plan to do. Just rip the band-aid off and get on with things.

"In the next several days, mandatory PCR and rapid testing will be set up at Pearson International Airport, as well as other airports accepting foreign flights, which would include Ottawa and Hamilton, as well as traditional land border crossings, the government source said."

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-t...s-on-all-incoming-travellers-source-1.5287399

Finally, they dangle the carrot so it's not a shock and then take forever to announce what they plan to do. Just rip the band-aid off and get on with things.
It’s definitely purposeful. It’s getting pretty easy to predict though, if you see a news item with something they are “considering“ you are generally only about a week out from its coming to fruition.

I dread Friday announcements because those are the ones they know we will be really mad about. They come on Friday’s so we can stew all weekend and be over it by Monday. :rolleyes:

As for this particular issue, in my opinion it should have been done from day one so I’m with you .. just get on with it already .

Got the news on in the background. And they are saying that they are hearing that the announcement will include mandatory hotel quarantine and some kind of additional testing.

Also that major airlines are cancelling all flight leaving Canada to places like Mexico and the Caribbean.

Got the news on in the background. And they are saying that they are hearing that the announcement will include mandatory hotel quarantine and some kind of additional testing.

Also that major airlines are cancelling all flight leaving Canada to places like Mexico and the Caribbean.

He's on live now... so I guess we'll know soon. I do hope they provide some sort of assistance for the airlines and support workers (thinking air traffic controllers and airport workers, those types) so they are able to recover eventually.

Ontario did announce earlier mandatory testing in Toronto for international arrivals. I didn't see but hopefully that means Ottawa too?

He's on live now... so I guess we'll know soon. I do hope they provide some sort of assistance for the airlines and support workers (thinking air traffic controllers and airport workers, those types) so they are able to recover eventually.

Ontario did announce earlier mandatory testing in Toronto for international arrivals. I didn't see but hopefully that means Ottawa too?

the only airports that will be allowed international arrivals are Toronto and Vancouver and Calgary and Montreal.

All flights to sun destinations cancelled starting Sunday to the end of April

International flights only allowed to land at 4 airports - Vancouver Calgary Toronto and Montreal

All arriving international travelers required to be tested upon arrival and there is now a quarantine at a hotel at their own cost... until their test results come back - estimated cost using a three day turn around will be approximately $2000 - travelers warned to be prepared.

Also mentioned - a delay now in receiving the Moderna vaccine - now looking at getting 78% of what was ordered...

edited to clarify and update

Last edited:
I'm assuming the cost of that turn around includes the cost of the test. $2000 for 3 nights in a hotel ($600/night plus $200 for Covid test). That's a nice hotel. Unless they add in costs for the security they will have to have to make sure everyone stays in place. Does that include food and drinks?:P Sorry trying to make light of a bad situation. It should be a deterrent though.

I'm assuming the cost of that turn around includes the cost of the test. $2000 for 3 nights in a hotel ($600/night plus $200 for Covid test). That's a nice hotel. Unless they add in costs for the security they will have to have to make sure everyone stays in place. Does that include food and drinks?:P Sorry trying to make light of a bad situation. It should be a deterrent though.
[

I think that would include food.

A negative test results in being able to quarantine at home for the rest of the time but a positive test will require quarantining at a government facility.

Also, testing required for non-essential travel at all land borders.

I think part of the problem with assistance payments to airlines was that the government felt the airlines had not provided reimbursements to those who had flights suddenly cancelled. Since travellers did not receive a refund from the airline, any assistance, which comes from taxpayers pockets, meant those people were paying twice. Something will have to be done at some point though or these airlines will be gone.

Edited to add that no mention was made about Ottawa’s airport for testing as it will not be an airport that travellers can fly into.

I think part of the problem with assistance payments to airlines was that the government felt the airlines had not provided reimbursements to those who had flights suddenly cancelled. Since travellers did not receive a refund from the airline, any assistance, which comes from taxpayers pockets, meant those people were paying twice. Something will have to be done at some point though or these airlines will be gone.

Edited to add that no mention was made about Ottawa’s airport for testing as it will not be an airport that travellers can fly into.

That's true. The airlines have not really been playing fair with the money they do have from those cancelled flights. I don't know how the airports get paid in order to pay their staff but I would hope something can be done to save them. It's more than just the pilots and attendants on the planes, it's all the other people too. From the people in airports to the call centres, which I imagine are still really busy, and even travel agents. I hope things can recover eventually.

I saw that news that Ottawa won't be getting international flights, which is fine (for now). I do hope they return when this is over as we like direct flights. I am sure a lot of places will feel the same. Not that I have any trips planned until December and that is still up in the air.

That's true. The airlines have not really been playing fair with the money they do have from those cancelled flights. I don't know how the airports get paid in order to pay their staff but I would hope something can be done to save them. It's more than just the pilots and attendants on the planes, it's all the other people too. From the people in airports to the call centres, which I imagine are still really busy, and even travel agents. I hope things can recover eventually.

I saw that news that Ottawa won't be getting international flights, which is fine (for now). I do hope they return when this is over as we like direct flights. I am sure a lot of places will feel the same. Not that I have any trips planned until December and that is still up in the air.
I guess I consider myself lucky living in Niagara that I have many options for air travel. I have never used Canadian airlines. I usually just cross the border and fly out of Buffalo. Much cheaper

They didn’t mention food but said the cost includes the test as well as all of the additional costs necessary such as security, enhanced cleaning, ppe, etc.
I would assume food costs because you are not allowed to leave your room and they probably don't want food delivery people going in and out, so you'll probably have to order expensive hotel room service.
If I had travel booked I'd be cancelling them ASAP.

I’m really hoping with this news, Disney will extend our expiry date from sept 2021 to a later date. I realize they don’t have to, but man it sure would be nice to just have that to not be stressed about it,
I can't see Disney extending any expiry dates unless their resorts/parks close down again.

The $2000 includes transportation to the hotel from the airport, keeping the staff in the hotel safe with ppe, additional security etc. The government will load on all costs associated with keeping people safe in those hotels. They don't want Canadian taxpayers on the hook for costs incurred by people who have chosen to travel.

I can't see Disney extending any expiry dates unless their resorts/parks close down again.
That’s what I’m thinking 😭 I will just have to swallow the excess bill then I guess. We bought with cdn discount so will have to extend at a much higher rate. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter