Calling all experienced annual pass holders

travelbug

DIS Veteran
I've read everything I could find about annual passes, but still have some questions I'm hoping you all can answer.

1. Expiration - If a person first activates an AP on August 1, is the last day they can use it July 31 or August 1 of the following year?

2. Are they non-transferable? Could I have an AP that several different traveling companions of mine would use one at a time on different trips? Or do they put the user's name on it and ask for ID? Not wanting to do anything against the rules, just not sure exactly what those rules are.

3. Do APs provide a Disney hotel discount all year round? What is the percentage of discount, or isn't it that cut and dried? How do I find out what AP rates apply for when I'm considering?

4. Can an AP holder reserve and pay for a hotel room at the AP discount rate without actually staying in the room? (reserving it for somebody else) Or if the AP holder reserved 2 rooms, one for self and one for others, would AP rates apply to both rooms or only the one for self?

5. Where can I find all the details surrounding an AP? Mousesavers.com was helpful, but I didn't find answers to my questions there. Is there anything in writing or on a website?

Thanks in advance for your patience in answering my many questions. These boards are SOOO helpful, thanks to all of you! :)

I can answer some :D

1. In your example August 1st, you actually get an extra day.

2. non-transferable. Biometric finger scans are used. The passes do have your name on them and if the scan doesn't match they do ask for ID.

3. I haven't gotten a discount wiht AP....so I'm not sure. I know the discounts only come out a couple of months in advance, so you have to check on them in that time frame for your trip. There are only so many of them and the rates vary by the resort.

5. Try this site and see if it helps you anymore.
http://wdwig.com/apass.htm

1. Expiration - If a person first activates an AP on August 1, is the last day they can use it July 31 or August 1 of the following year?

I think the AP's only go from Aug. 1 to July 31st of the next year. We had our AP's from June 27, 2001 until June 26, 2002. We would have had to purchase another AP to be activated on June 27th.

2. Are they non-transferable? Could I have an AP that several different traveling companions of mine would use one at a time on different trips? Or do they put the user's name on it and ask for ID? Not wanting to do anything against the rules, just not sure exactly what those rules are.

Only one person may use the AP.

3. Do APs provide a Disney hotel discount all year round? What is the percentage of discount, or isn't it that cut and dried? How do I find out what AP rates apply for when I'm considering?

The discounts seem to come out every few months. There are usually NO discounts during Christmas/New Years or Easter. However, last Christmas (2001) there were AP rates available through check in on Dec. 25th. We checked in to the GF on 12/25 and got the AP rate of $199.00 a night (without tax) for the duration of our stay. So as long as you check in on the last day of the applicable discount, you get that rate for your whole stay.

4. Can an AP holder reserve and pay for a hotel room at the AP discount rate without actually staying in the room? (reserving it for somebody else) Or if the AP holder reserved 2 rooms, one for self and one for others, would AP rates apply to both rooms or only the one for self?

You can reserve up to two (maybe three) rooms with the AP rate, however, the actual passholder must be present with his/her pass and ID when checking in. So you wouldn't be able to book the room with the AP rate for a friend but not go with.

5. Where can I find all the details surrounding an AP? Mousesavers.com was helpful, but I didn't find answers to my questions there. Is there anything in writing or on a website?

Try www.themeparks.com www.passporter.com and www.wdwig.com for more info. I don't think there is an AP webpage from Disney itself. That would be great if there was!

Thanks, Meriweather and Scanne, for your helpful responses! I did go on wdwig and found all kinds of detail on APs, so I appreciate both of you steering me in that direction.

Have a great day, and thanks again! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter