Cake Bake Shop at the BoardWalk opening in 2024

Pretty absurd statement not knowing the opposing costs and terms.
Plain old common sense. You don’t let a tenant do what has been done to that building without lots of financial assurances.

Do you have any sources for this information? Seems entirely unlikely that Chapek would be involved in such a small transaction.
Many outlets reported he/inner circle took all budgeting power down to small details they should have had nothing to do with. It was an idiotic decision. While I think the odds this lease was constructed without an operational date, it is not 💯 impossible due to that idiotic decision as the desire to pay less Tenant Improvement money/get a higher rent could have led to an operational date being left out…

Plain old common sense.

Many outlets reported he/inner circle took all budgeting power down to small details they should have had nothing to do with. It was an idiotic decision. While I think the odds this lease was constructed without an operational date, it is not 💯 impossible due to that idiotic decision as the desire to pay less Tenant Improvement money/get a higher rent could have led to an operational date being left out…
Lots of assuming with no basis. The fact remains that any financial transaction that looks beneficial at one moment can change unfavorably if economic and environmental factors change.

Lots of assuming with no basis…
That’s LITERALLY what we’re doing here! Speculating as to why this could possibly be going so slow! We’re merging that with rumors like this outfit is getting cold feet and SPECULATING on why. Nobody here knows jack. That’s the fun of it!

My current bet is Disney had a structural situation that took a very long time/is still being resolved. Others are betting the Cake shop is purposely constructing slow as they’re having doubts about their financial operating ability. We’re all placing our bets, will most likely never find out who wins, and ultimately wondering if paying $20 for a slice of one of their cakes is gonna be a regret when they do open in 2030? Although with inflation I guess that should be $25 by then…

That’s LITERALLY what we’re doing here! Speculating as to why this could possibly be going so slow! We’re merging that with rumors like this outfit is getting cold feet and SPECULATING on why. Nobody here knows jack. That’s the fun of it!

My current bet is Disney had a structural situation that took a very long time/is still being resolved. Others are betting the Cake shop is purposely constructing slow as they’re having doubts about their financial operating ability. We’re all placing our bets, will most likely never find out who wins, and ultimately wondering if paying $20 for a slice of one of their cakes is gonna be a regret when they do open in 2030? Although with inflation I guess that should be $25 by then…
Agreed. And within this is the concept that it may not be financially beneficial for them to follow through on their lease obligation.

There are plenty of people looking forward to this opening. The menus from other locations are different from all the standard Disney fare. My 30 something DIL is looking forward to it as much as I am. The construction delays are annoying for sure. But not sure why people are so determined no one will want to go there. There’s plenty of restaurants on Disney property. If this one’s not for you, that’s fine. But that doesn’t mean other people won’t enjoy it or it won’t be successful.

There are plenty of people looking forward to this opening. The menus from other locations are different from all the standard Disney fare. My 30 something DIL is looking forward to it as much as I am. The construction delays are annoying for sure. But not sure why people are so determined no one will want to go there. There’s plenty of restaurants on Disney property. If this one’s not for you, that’s fine. But that doesn’t mean other people won’t enjoy it or it won’t be successful.
I get it and understand but ESPN was aimed at a limited base and couldn’t make it. Having a less targeted clientele will be more of a challenge. I’m certainly not opposing it just wondering if there was a better option.

I get it and understand but ESPN was aimed at a limited base and couldn’t make it. Having a less targeted clientele will be more of a challenge. I’m certainly not opposing it just wondering if there was a better option.
I agree with this. It's not for us (although we might try it at some point), but I certainly hope it's successful. The BW area can use a success story right now. I'm also wondering it there might have been a better option to replace ESPN, but also thinking the perhaps there might have been a better option on the location of the Cake Bake Shop.... Seems more Grand Floridian to me! But I truly do hope it's a place people go to....

Really hope DVC dues aren’t being affected by this,
I just wanted to assure you that DVC dues can't be affected by this. That space (which isn't even part of the DVC side of the BW Resort building) is commercial space, which even when an integral part of a DVC building (examples: Topolino's, Sanaa, Top of the World Lounge) is legally carved out of the DVC condominium association. The DVC owners don't share in any of the expenses or the profits from commercial space.

I think most are underestimating how popular this place will be. It's not just a bakery, it is a restaurant and with the over the top decor an experience. Disney is a perfect place for over the top theming and as time goes on they are offering less and less of it.

I never had any reason to go to the Boardwalk area above and beyond the horrible parking situation. NO interest in the clubs, no interest in very expensive fish when I can get it for less and fresher at the beach and there are sports bars everywhere where I live so ESPN held zero interest. I will be finding my way to the Cake Shop and I think there will be LOTS of guests who will make it a priority.

It will be popular for the bachelorette parties that are popular at Disney, especially at EPCOT. With the teas they offer I see it as a destination for Moms and Daughters of all ages. They do special things for all the holidays having just completed their Mardi Gras specials. I think they will be a big destination for locals and their parties and small events (hope they fix the parking problem). I see them being a part of conventions that are booked at BW and BC. Would not be surprised if they offer cake delivery to the resorts for those celebrating something. They do private events so I won't be surprised if they build it to host small weddings.

I think this might have been one of the better restaurants Disney has brought in years. Now to get it open.

EDIT TO ADD as I just looked at their website. LOTS of signature drinks, mimosas and even souvenir swan cups that any little (and big) girl might want as a souvenir. They also have a gift shop where they sell lots of "lovely" things like beautiful cake toppers and ornaments and kitchenware. Whimsical toys, food items and clothes. It is something completely different from what is offered at Disney now.

1708293212534.png

Last edited:

Most ESPN restaurants closed in 2010, DL’s restaurant closed in 2018. The one at BW was the last one & stayed open til the pandemic closing in 2020. So it did make it longer than the rest of the franchise. There wasn’t really a franchise left to reopen it. If Cake Bake shop will be a less targeted clientele seems to be personal opinion. I don’t necessarily think it is.

hope they fix the parking problem
OMG I do too. I’m afraid it will take an hourly parking charge or a high flat fee, such as Swan/Dolphin have, higher than theme park parking, with limited comping for ADRs and convention attendees (not for “I just want to shop and look around” - people can walk from Epcot IG or take Disney transportation for that). BW Resort guests exempt, of course.

but also thinking the perhaps there might have been a better option on the location of the Cake Bake Shop.... Seems more Grand Floridian to me!

Would have been great at the Grand Floridian but I also think it fits Boardwalk perfectly! Grew up going to the Jersey Shore and it's giving vibes of the boutique bed-and-breakfast hotels with brunch spots in historic downtown Cape May. Sounds very niche but I think you'll see the vision if this place ever opens!

I would have preferred an actual quick service location, but I think some others are right and this place will be extremely popular. My family will definitely be dining here and likely getting to go cake on our stays at the Boardwalk. I’m disappointed it won’t be open for our April stay.

I guess time will tell. I’m still betting on the down side. Not because I want to see it but just skeptical of the prospects

I cannot wait to try it. We usually stay at BWI twice a year and there was never anyone at ESPN unless there was some sort of big game. Happy to see this space be used for something else instead of sitting empty 6 days a week. I also never felt like it was a great fit for the area.

I can’t wait to try the menu, desserts, afternoon tea, and the champagne bar!

Maybe this has been mentioned but the Carmel,IN location (the 2nd location and the only one I’ve been to so far) has both a sit down side and a “quick service” side where you can get slices of cake, cookies, espresso drinks and purchase merchandise without a reservation. Hopefully this operates similarly so lots of people can enjoy. I have done both sit down & on the go purchases at this location and both experiences have been wonderful! Excited to have a familiar place from home when we visit our home away from home!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm really looking forward to this. I think the fact that they have more than just cake and you can actually get a meal there, is appealing. I'm also very excited for the tea service especially since the GF one is gone. As PP mentioned, I think this will be very popular for birthdays, Mother's Day, bachelorettes, etc. Yes, completely different demographic than ESPN (which we also loved), but I think it will be very popular. Heck, B&C had to expand because of the popularity of their sundaes and guests are always celebrating something in WDW. I'm also hopeful BWI might expand their QS options - I know it's wishful thinking, but if they turned the Big River Grille space into a real QS, it would be a game-changer for the whole EP resort area.

I'm looking forward to it too. The Champagne Bar is what caught my eye/interest. 🍾🥂 I think it's great that they'll have both a table service side and a combo quick service/retail side. Like others I have some concerns about the parking situation but hopefully they have a plan for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter