Cake Bake Shop at the BoardWalk opening in 2024

Whatever the reasons, it's gotten pretty ridiculous at this point. Cake Bake, Ample Hills, other restaurant closures, quick service lacking, and no easy refill station etc makes me doubt anyone really wants to improve the guest experience here.

With all this, we still love the BWI and stay there every year including part of our split stay this summer. The vibe and location just feel right, but I feel that they just don't want to put any more work into it than they have to.

We stayed for a quick Christmas visit at YC and had such an easier time getting dinner to go and quick service BF items. We already have plans to walk over there this summer for those same items, but we shouldn't have to for the money spent.
Agreed. We're not BW people, as we tend to favor the BCV side of the lake. But we do walk over there and/or eat over there most trips, and we thought the past couple trips the area immediately on the BW is looking pretty sad. The mess of the ESPN/Cake restaurant, Big River closing, some of the stands being redone, the work being done around the BW resort - just not a good look right now.

I'm still puzzled as to why this cake shop will even exist, or survive for long.

Will they have things other than cake? Presumably so because this is a pretty big facility. I don't understand why it would need to be that big for people to eat just a piece of cake.

Yes, I know that there is a whole "restaurant" at DS that just does cookies. But this seems to be much more than a counter service place.

After the new wears off and the bloggers have all visited and posted their reviews, how popular will a place that features cake be? Maybe they can combine it with an ice cream place? Even then, what is the continuing attraction?

:rolleyes1
The other one appears to be a restaurant that serves cake as opposed to a strictly cake based establishment.

https://thecakebakeshop.com/pages/broad-ripple-village

I'm still puzzled as to why this cake shop will even exist, or survive for long.

Will they have things other than cake? Presumably so because this is a pretty big facility. I don't understand why it would need to be that big for people to eat just a piece of cake.

Yes, I know that there is a whole "restaurant" at DS that just does cookies. But this seems to be much more than a counter service place.

After the new wears off and the bloggers have all visited and posted their reviews, how popular will a place that features cake be? Maybe they can combine it with an ice cream place? Even then, what is the continuing attraction?

:rolleyes1
Don’t forget the tea

You don’t get to rethink projected profitability after signing on the dotted line. But, if Disney was too stupid to put a required operational date in the lease or link it to bad financial consequences, I guess the company could do the build out as slow as they think they can get by with while hoping their projections for $20/slice cakes look rosier next year. Could Cheapek really have signed such a bad lease? Anything is possible but that would have been SO stupid. Especially if the rumor that the tenant pushed Disney hard for the lease is true. If the tenant pushed hard for the lease it should have been written more in the landlords favor because the tenant is more likely to just sign to get their lease asap.

I wonder if the delay is actually Disney’s. Weren’t there rumors of pretty large infrastructure issues (I feel like it was with regards to water) causing delays in all the refurbing of BWI/BWV? If there are underlying issues with the build site Cake bake Shop might not be able to complete their build out on schedule.
Sure you do. If they missed on their projected revenue or underestimated and the cost of revenating the facility exceed the loss from walking away from the lease then that’s a wise choice

The other one appears to be a restaurant that serves cake as opposed to a strictly cake based establishment.

https://thecakebakeshop.com/pages/broad-ripple-village
I think they will pick up a lot of the business that used to go to the GF. It was difficult to get an ADR for tea at the GF, so I expect this restaurant to be booked. I have read that their other locations are booked well in advance. The people who will enjoy this experience are a different demographic than the ones who enjoyed ESPN.

These are a couple of screenshots from Google Earth, showing the bakery under construction and apparently near completion. From the signage outside the building, this entire structure will be used by Cake Bake Shop for producing their baked goods for the BW location and for mail order. I have had one of their cakes via mail order and it was one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.

IMG_1575.jpegIMG_1576.jpeg

I think they will pick up a lot of the business that used to go to the GF. It was difficult to get an ADR for tea at the GF, so I expect this restaurant to be booked. I have read that their other locations are booked well in advance. The people who will enjoy this experience are a different demographic than the ones who enjoyed ESPN.

These are a couple of screenshots from Google Earth, showing the bakery under construction and apparently near completion. From the signage outside the building, this entire structure will be used by Cake Bake Shop for producing their baked goods for the BW location and for mail order. I have had one of their cakes via mail order and it was one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.

View attachment 835012View attachment 835013
I’ll take that bet. I don’t know the term of the lease but it won’t get renewed

Yeah that menu isn't making me any more excited about this place. I can't see us heading there for overpriced sandwiches and cake.

But then my son works down the street from the Oakmont Bakery just outside of Pittsburgh (IYKYK). I can get some of the most decadent, delicious baked goods on the planet for a fraction of those prices.

Agreed. We're not BW people, as we tend to favor the BCV side of the lake. But we do walk over there and/or eat over there most trips, and we thought the past couple trips the area immediately on the BW is looking pretty sad. The mess of the ESPN/Cake restaurant, Big River closing, some of the stands being redone, the work being done around the BW resort - just not a good look right now.
I agree it is a little sad with all of the construction. Better than when they reopened after the pandemic but still sad. I hope they replace all of these closing spots soon. More options including quick service and a refill station would make it perfect!

Time is money. Who is absorbing the taxes and insurance as the months fly by? And somebody is losing out on the lease/rent cost. Either BW/WDW isn’t getting that monthly payment, or CakeBake is paying it without income yet. Really hope DVC dues aren’t being affected by this, or Grand Flo hasn’t removed the Tea Room returning due to potentially competing interests that may never come to fruition.

At first I questioned CBS but then after looking into the existing location saw how it could be a good fit. Could work. Tea rooms have increased in popularity, so have decadent desserts and fantastical restaurants. Seems a good match with typical WDW guests and I think the demand would be solid.

But boy oh boy at this rate seems risky that issues might crop up from long term exposure. It’s 2 years already since the announcement of Gwendolyn Rogers Cake Bake shop. Look what happened with Space220 in that last stretch, delay after delay. The longer this project takes could cause it take even longer.

View attachment 835012View attachment 835013
I wonder if Disney will never open the GF tea since the Cake Bake shop will have that option. I will say I will definitely stop in for a slice of cake to take with me and might do lunch depending on the menu but definitely won't do the tea. I always wanted to do the GF tea and still would but only for that specific experience.

Sure you do. If they missed on their projected revenue or underestimated and the cost of revenating the facility exceed the loss from walking away from the lease then that’s a wise choice
How would that be financially possible? The cost to walk away from a lease like this should be a mind blowing, bankrupting-level amount.

*shouldn’t have been

Alas he reportedly consolidated all financial decision making to him and his inner circle. One of the earlier things Iger reportedly undid on his return.
Do you have any sources for this information? Seems entirely unlikely that Chapek would be involved in such a small transaction.

This thread has been going since 2022 so the interest is definitely there. I've ordered their cakes before through Williams-Sonoma. They're delicious and beautiful. Hope they open this year.
Maybe she's doing very well in the high end frozen cake shipping biz. Running yet another storefront will add to her overhead.
Anyway, I'm curious about the place. I'll stay tuned to hear more about when it might open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter