BWV Refurb Progress

Now I'm regretting not just staying at a value or a moderate. :( This will be my kids first visit and there is nothing whimsy about the refurb. :(

In my opinion, none of the DVC villas offer anything close to the whimsical aspects found in some of the value or moderate rooms. If you want whimsical elements in your room, then the rooms at the Art of Animation Resort, the Pirate themed rooms at Caribbean Beach Resort, or the Princess rooms at Port Orleans Riverside are much better choices than DVC villas.

I won't dispute that the refurb may not bring a whimsical touch to the BWV villas. However, I don't think there was hardly anything whimsical in the old design. Here is a photo of a one bedroom at BWV circa 2010. Several descriptive words come to mind when I look at the photo, but whimsy is not one of them.

DSCN3577.jpg

In my opinion, none of the DVC villas offer anything close to the whimsical aspects found in some of the value or moderate rooms. If you want whimsical elements in your room, then the rooms at the Art of Animation Resort, the Pirate themed rooms at Caribbean Beach Resort, or the Princess rooms at Port Orleans Riverside are much better choices than DVC villas.

I won't dispute that the refurb may not bring a whimsical touch to the BWV villas. However, I don't think there was hardly anything whimsical in the old design. Here is a photo of a one bedroom at BWV circa 2010. Several descriptive words come to mind when I look at the photo, but whimsy is not one of them.

DSCN3577.jpg

For our family, patterns, color, Disney related pictures on the walls, themed fabrics, anything found only at Disney is what brings us to Disney.

Gray industrial carpet, laminate flooring, canvas feeling solid color furniture fabric isn't very homey feeling and can be found at almost any hotel room anywhere.

:earsboy: Bill

I actually like the new rooms! I don't need 'whimsy' in my room. I get plenty of that everywhere else! That's one of the reasons I enjoy the Dolphin on occasion.
I much prefer a clean look. Love the colors.....very similar to what I have in my own house.

The one thing I will always miss is the old hallway carpet.....just loved those little footprints.

I actually like the new rooms! I don't need 'whimsy' in my room. I get plenty of that everywhere else! That's one of the reasons I enjoy the Dolphin on occasion.
I much prefer a clean look. Love the colors.....very similar to what I have in my own house.

The one thing I will always miss is the old hallway carpet.....just loved those little footprints.

I agree. I'm really not big on decor but if the room looked like All Star, I don't think I would stay there. I'm not an 8 year old and don't have one with me.

I'm with you, I love it! Much better than before. Starting to regret switching from BWV to VGF for my trip this year.

The only thing "whimsical" in the BoardWalk rooms were the photos on the walls and the style of the cabinets (reminds me of a shore rental house). None of the furnishings really made me think of being down the shore. Although I was a big fan of the tea cup lamp, it really had nothing to do with being at the shore. Sorry....BoardWalk in NJ. I love the bathroom mirror....looks like bubbles. I am sure the refurb is utilizing products that will hold up better to the wear and tear. I sure hope so....don't want my dues to go up again for another refurb. I just wish people would be a little more careful. I've used those flimsy coasters and have not had a problem. Everything everywhere is getting smaller and/or cheaper.

I think the "BoardWalk" theme is accomplished when you go outside.

WDRL....I don't remember that bedspread....I remember a yellow one with green pillows. I don't understand why people are upset about the nice, clean, fresh look when you compare it to that picture! And I've been to Pop and All Star Music.....the rooms were functional, but I didn't find anything whimsical about them. I especially hated the big glass window in the room that people would walk past and look into your room. I was paranoid about keeping the curtain closed and would go outside and make sure it was closed properly. So glad we have added on points and contracts over the years so we can stay at DVC. Yes....I am spoiled. But it is the only extravagant thing we do for ourselves.

I am very excited about the refurb. Clean is good! Can't wait to go back dec 2016!!

Thank you for the pics!!!

(studio wise) The updates here look exactly along the same lines as what they did over in VWL.

Likes: The wood linoleum in the entrance feels and looks cleaner than the carpeting that was there, and the murphy bed is very nice for those traveling with a need for a third bed

Dislikes: The loss of the stand alone table is a transition for those of us who will be using that Murphy (and keep it open) and are used to setting up a home base on that table as I do with my computer. As a personal preference, I also dislike beige in general. Almost any color other than that and I'd probably like the new couch. The room lacks energy.

Curious if they also replaced the small fridge with the one they used over at VWL: stainless with no freezer compartment. If so, add that to my dislikes. All in all, it's okay, it's just a temporary situation, which will again be updated in 15 years. ;)

(studio wise) The updates here look exactly along the same lines as what they did over in VWL.

Likes: The wood linoleum in the entrance feels and looks cleaner than the carpeting that was there, and the murphy bed is very nice for those traveling with a need for a third bed

Dislikes: The loss of the stand alone table is a transition for those of us who will be using that Murphy (and keep it open) and are used to setting up a home base on that table as I do with my computer. As a personal preference, I also dislike beige in general. Almost any color other than that and I'd probably like the new couch. The room lacks energy.

Curious if they also replaced the small fridge with the one they used over at VWL: stainless with no freezer compartment. If so, add that to my dislikes. All in all, it's okay, it's just a temporary situation, which will again be updated in 15 years. ;)

New fridge DOES have a freezer. Photo here: A few new photos of rehabbed BWV studio

What about packing a few plastic trays to eat off of ?
We mostly do breakfast in the room.
Could the pull down murphy bed fit a person who is 5' 3" and weighs 105 pounds?

Loved the pictures !

Room looks nice but nothing to do with the New Jersey Boardwalk from times past.

:-(

Great pictures and nice new room, but I agree with Bill, they seem to be losing the theme when they are refurbishing the rooms. And this isn't just with Boardwalk.

:guilty::guilty:Sigh. I agree with Bill. I don't see why they couldn't refurbish it and keep the '30s Boardwalk theme. Now it looks like any hotel in the U.S., not like my "home away from home" anymore. :guilty:

I had the same thoughts when I first saw photos of the rooms a few week back, and I agree that it is not a "Boardwalk Theme" but I'm trying to think what looks "Boardwalk" in the non-refurbed rooms? Personally when I think of BW resort, its is the approach, the lights at night, the lobby, the music, the pool, and of course the Boardwalk. Personally I'm not a fan of the White dresser next to the dark wood fold down bed, nor the fold away table. But The TV cabinets I think were dark or a cream and didn't really go with the some of the other furniture.

Now I'm regretting not just staying at a value or a moderate. :( This will be my kids first visit and there is nothing whimsy about the refurb. :(

As my post above mentions the rest of the resort is what I like. Personally I would not do a value over a studio. Of course if you are looking strictly at theme inside room (not sure what values look like in the room, for a standard room) you could say it might be better being at a resort with 2000 rooms. I prefer walking or boating to 2 resorts have multiple dinner options, and enjoy the boardwalk. I doubt the kids will care that the room doesn't have that 1930's feel.

Sad isn't it.

Looks like a typical off-site hotel room.

Location Location Location. Off-site for us, isn't even close no matter what the accommodations are.

Loved the pictures !

Not sure what you mean by plastic trays, but the studios all come with paper plates & bowls, plastic spoons/knives/forks and real drink ware.

The Murphy bed at VWL (this is the same style) fit my son who is 5'10" and about 150# without a problem (they're quite long and very stable.) In fact he said it was more comfortable than the pull out couch.

Loved the pictures !
I'm not sure why everyone has this idea of the pull down beds only fitting short/small people. I'm 6'5" 215lbs and I've slept on one of them at VGF and tried out the one in the living room of the Poly Bungalows. It's not something I'd do EVERY night, but it wasn't even bad or uncomfortable. If I was a few inches shorter, I'd even be able to stretch all the way out. In fact, I was laying on one with my four year old son, so there were actually two of us who fell asleep on one.

The plastic trays I mean are like lap trays - about 16" to 12" rectangular - all are old in my house from when my DS & DD were little children.

We could pack them in our suitcase - use them for snacks, food, whatever to eat sitting on the beds - without leaving crumbs on the bed - and then throw out the trays before we go home.

Just an idea.

The plastic trays I mean are like lap trays - about 16" to 12" rectangular - all are old in my house from when my DS & DD were little children.

We could pack them in our suitcase - use them for snacks, food, whatever to eat sitting on the beds - without leaving crumbs on the bed - and then throw out the trays before we go home.

Just an idea.

Ah... what I would do is simply bring some food back from the quick service and borrow those trays for the duration of the stay. Housekeeping deals with trays on a daily basis and will get them back where they belong. I'll usually leave the tip on it ;) That said, does the bakery still use trays? I know as of 2 summers back the pizza counter did.

I just saw pix of the DVC BW model villa on a CM friend's phone the other day and it looks wonderful! And I've never been a BW fan before. Looks very nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter