• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Burning Question about photo package.

Yeah. It could also be a bit of confusion, like the way things are said leave points open to interpretation. Or the CM not fully understanding what it is they are trying to describe because they don’t have the actual experience themselves.
Your second sentence - literally what I thought after I talk to her. I wanted to ask in in hindsight - have you gone on one yourself or buy one yourself? Because I can't for the life of me believe that everyone on this forum would just lie.

We’ve never bought a photo package, but we do buy individual photos. We can see any pictures taken that include any member of our stateroom. Then on the last day we select a couple to purchase. I believe the phone CM is mistaken and doesn’t quite understand the system.
Your last sentence. See. I would like to believe that. I also told the rep, I want to hear it from you guys because you guys are the "expert". LOL.

I mean, I clearly am not the expert. I don't know the system.

I wonder if it's a privacy issue? If you took a photo with me, a random stranger but I was wearing a cool outfit, and then you ended up putting it on Facebook, maybe I didn't WANT to be on Facebook? I do think facial recognition is coming fast and furious. For good and bad.

Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes. I brought up that scenario about taking a picture with a stranger I befriended on the ship as an example to know if I would still get the picture - as long as "I" scanned my band. Obviously, I would have asked the other person for permission. I wouldn't just say look! smile! lol XD come on. no no no :D

Again whatever room you give the photographer that’s your photos I buy it every time there’s no facial recognition

Can you call them and tell them that? lol! Sigh.

We cruised in October in 2 adjoining staterooms and purchased one photo package. All of the photos from both rooms showed up in the downloads. Our DD went on her own many times with friends and got photos which all showed up in the downloads. I agree with poster who said to purchase multiple packages just in case and then cancel them once on board when you get correct current information. I certainly hope they have not changed this, what you were told sounds crazy.

Okay, if you allow me a follow up question: are your rooms linked in anyway? like by dining time or whatever?

So, I was told that perhaps you got the photos with the other people too is because your rooms are "linked".

I have an update for those who are following this thread:

I called and spoke with another very kind (no sarcasm, please. She was very nice. I was very passionate) rep. I just want to type down what I recall from the phone call before I forget. Here are the highlights

• I explained my scenarios for how the photos are to be taken. I explained that I called yesterday and got such and such response. I explained that I have read online and been told by other rep months ago of a different, more favorable experience with the photo package.
  • This rep confirmed what yesterday's rep said. My family in the second room has to buy the photo package, or else, even if I am in the photo with my family from the other room - I wouldn't have access to them.
  • Lol. I was on the phone and I was reading verbatim what PAGA2003 wrote, and she was like, really? Okay, Like, she was not buying it.
    • She said maybe the other room bought the photo package at the end......................
We sailed in August 2023 with my family in one room having the package and my cousin's family in another room not having the package. It was always based on the room they scanned as mentioned above. We did family photos one night with both of our families together, some of just the children, and then photos of our individual families. We scanned my band and I received all of the photos including of ones with only my cousin's family. We did the Royal Gathering at two separate times so I received the photos for my daughter but not the ones of her daughter.

The same always happened in the dining room as well when we scanned my band. I was not anticipating getting their photos when we were not in them but even there I received photos that only had the three of them with no one in my family in the picture.

I am going to think the CM that said if you took photos with someone without the package and did not receive the photos at first it would be in an instance where they scanned their band/card. If it did not show up for you it is not lost. Since you purchased the package you can still have it linked to your account later and get it.

• I read her an excerpt from this blog: https://www.everythingmouse.com/disney-cruise-photo-package
    • in short: two rooms, grandparents in one room with no photo package. As long as a person in the room with photo package is in the photo with the grandparents, it is available to download.
    • The rep said, this is peculiar. LOL. This cannot be.
    • The rep said, at the end of the trip, the photos with the grand parents would be charged at 50%. What? Really?
  • She advised me to be sure, on the day of embarkation, I should talk to a cast member to link my photos. I told her this seems like a bad idea. What's that word to describe someone who doesn't trust people or believe bad things. Anyway, I say no because that's like putting a target on my back. I don't want to be the person who thinks it a good idea to talk to an official and end up being the person to make it worse for everyone else.
  • She said I can write to customer service via email after the trip to see if my experience vindicates what I have known to be true. I said no, because what if Disney then makes it truly harder for everyone else? I don't want people to hate me. lol
  • I told her it's would be so odd that that these people's response to my forum question would be lying to me just for the sake of lying. These people have had real experience. I asked her, are you saying they didn't get the photos then?

It seems like whatever response they're giving is in their knowledge base like that. But. I just don't see how that could possibly be true.

So according to these reps, if I were sailing with my friend's family, and we took group photos, and I bought the package but my friends didn't, I wouldn't get any of my photos that had them in it? So they're basically holding my photos hostage unless my friend shells out for the package? That just seems ridiculous, even for Disney.

This PlanDisney answer describes things as I think we all understand them to work: https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...tion-purchase-unlimited-photo-package-543226/

The key line: "If you have a large family traveling across multiple staterooms, your children who are under the age of 21 will be included. If you have, for example, grandparents in another stateroom, these pictures will not be included unless it’s a group shot that includes individuals from your stateroom."

So according to these reps, if I were sailing with my friend's family, and we took group photos, and I bought the package but my friends didn't, I wouldn't get any of my photos that had them in it? So they're basically holding my photos hostage unless my friend shells out for the package? That just seems ridiculous, even for Disney.

That's exactly what's they are saying. And I scratching my head. I made sure I asked again and again. They say, basically, no! You wouldn't get the pictures.

This PlanDisney answer describes things as I think we all understand them to work: https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...tion-purchase-unlimited-photo-package-543226/

The key line: "If you have a large family traveling across multiple staterooms, your children who are under the age of 21 will be included. If you have, for example, grandparents in another stateroom, these pictures will not be included unless it’s a group shot that includes individuals from your stateroom."

Omg. This is it! This is what I have always understood it to be. But you know what I was given? This: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/photos/link-multiple-staterooms-under-one-photo-package/?

Edit:

The link you provided. There is a statement that said this:

"
On Jun 25, 2023
Lisa from TX Asked
Please note that experiences, policies, pricing and other offerings are subject to change and may have changed since the date of this answer."

This is why I am eager to know if anyone has traveled in 2024 on DCL. Anyone who travel in Jan, Feb, Mar, April? Anybody?

Last edited:
"If the second room doesn’t accept paying for the 50% off package, they won’t get any individual pics of themselves."
Yes, I am 100% OK with this. Because the goal is to take mostly group photos. the family in the connecting stateroom would be informed about the plan.

And I'd like to also share that, like everyone these days, we all will have our smart phones with us. I will also take pictures with my iPhone. I just want professional photos of my family at dining and nice backgrounds - and I am willing to pay the price... for ONE package.
If it were me I would just purchase the package for your room and make sure you always present your band/card to scan. Don't ever have someone in the second room offer theirs. I really feel like there is a 99.9% chance you will get all of the photos and based on my experience likely theirs as well if they are with you and you scan your band.

So unrelated but I think an interesting data point-if you are 'friends' with someone in MDE that has a Disney annual pass with PhotoPass downloads they can see your photos and download them when you are in the parks. My family and I took a quick 3 night trip and had photos taken at MNSSHP and Hoop Dee Doo with no Memory Maker since it was so short. My friend, that was at home in Maryland and obviously had no way possible to be in our photos, saw all of them pop up and then downloaded them for us! This wasn't a freak incident either. I've heard from several friends with APs that this is the case. I really don't believe for a second that just because someone without a photo package is in your pictures you won't recieve them on the ship. Unfortunately, more often than not CMs just aren't in the know about the product they are selling.

Your last sentence. See. I would like to believe that. I also told the rep, I want to hear it from you guys because you guys are the "expert". LOL.

I mean, I clearly am not the expert. I don't know the system.

Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes. I brought up that scenario about taking a picture with a stranger I befriended on the ship as an example to know if I would still get the picture - as long as "I" scanned my band. Obviously, I would have asked the other person for permission. I wouldn't just say look! smile! lol XD come on. no no no :D

Can you call them and tell them that? lol! Sigh.

Okay, if you allow me a follow up question: are your rooms linked in anyway? like by dining time or whatever?

So, I was told that perhaps you got the photos with the other people too is because your rooms are "linked".
Yes, but with the facial recognition that does not always work, pictures of any in your stateroom should show up.

I haven't read the entire 2 pages of comments here but here's my experience in February 2024. My stateroom had a package, but my mother's didnt (it wasn't worth it to her). Usually at dinner they put all the photos on my room's account, but one night they put the ones with my kids and my mom and step dad on their account. I went to Shutters and had them moved to my account. I think they even moved the pictures of my mom and step dad to mine.

We went on a cruise on the Wonder in April 2024. While we didn't have a photo package, we were seated at a table with three unrelated couples (total of six people). We asked the photographer if he could take a picture of all six of us so we could have a group photo. He said sure and he asked for all three of our stateroom numbers. So all three of our parties had the picture in our account. Not quite the same thing and I don't know if any of the other parties had a package (one may have).

I went in late December 2023 with my family. We had three staterooms but only I had the photo package. Whenever we were together as a group for a photo op, we scanned my band. All the pictures showed up in my account, regardless of who else was in them. Once I had them to download I could distribute as I pleased. Needless to say, if I was not present, their pictures did NOT show up in my account.

Having said that, there are no guarantees. I find that if you push a representative to give you an answer they will default to what is already said in the corporate web site. They certainly will NOT confirm anything from a forum.

In your case, I would be 95% sure it works as you think it does. For that nagging 5% doubt (and really, 2024 doesn't matter they could change it right before your cruise, or at least thats my kind of luck) Get the boarding group shot with everyone in it. And then go to the photo center (probably next day) and see if it's in your account. Trust but verify.

There could also be a couple of other options here. I know you explained it, BUT family is different for alot of people. 2 rooms with mom and dad in one and kids in another - all photos link. 2 rooms with 2 sets of adults don't link. Yes it is a money gab, but also yes you are 2 separate travel parties that are "cheating" with a single package by putting someone in each photo. I know it is not that simple, but on paper it is. It also does not meant he pictures don't exist, they just don't automatically show up in your account. You can still go in and search all the spare photos and tag them I believe. You would have to do a little work, but SHOULD get more photos.

We bought pictures at the end of our cruise. We were linked with my son and his girlfriend in the next room. We could not buy pictures of them alone due to privacy.

That said we could buy any family picture of them with us. We used our room card , went to look at pictures them alone taken the same time were not there.

I just wanted a nice picture of the 2 of them. They bought one for me…lol

This was in December.

We sailed in Jan as a party of 4 in 2 rooms (mom/dad then kid/grandma) without thinking we gave mom/dads room card/number- none of the pictures of kid were visible and while they eventually linked us to her (but not grandma) we had to switch and give HER room number/card so we’d get the group pictures and her alone.

I haven't read the entire 2 pages of comments here but here's my experience in February 2024. My stateroom had a package, but my mother's didnt (it wasn't worth it to her). Usually at dinner they put all the photos on my room's account, but one night they put the ones with my kids and my mom and step dad on their account. I went to Shutters and had them moved to my account. I think they even moved the pictures of my mom and step dad to mine.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much because of how recent your sailing was (Feb 2024). Ok, so one of the representative that I talked told me to the effect of, "let's say what you're telling me is right, if you don't see your pictures of people in the other room in your account, you can always go and talk to Shutters and have them linked" - something like that. I was frank with her and told her I was hesitant because I would become worried that I might be "caught" if you know what I mean. It sounds so dumb and sad, but there I said it. But, hey, it worked for you! That gives me confidence.

One more thing, that rep also said, it could be that because your rooms are linked, say, in the respect of having the same dining time. If they have a record of that in their system, the chances are you should receive those photos. May I ask if you have your two rooms linked (and not necessarily physically linked)?
We went on a cruise on the Wonder in April 2024. While we didn't have a photo package, we were seated at a table with three unrelated couples (total of six people). We asked the photographer if he could take a picture of all six of us so we could have a group photo. He said sure and he asked for all three of our stateroom numbers. So all three of our parties had the picture in our account. Not quite the same thing and I don't know if any of the other parties had a package (one may have).
Thank you for your response. While your testimony might actually be the most relevant because it happened this month, it would be more telling if you had a photo package. :) Thank you so much. <3

I went in late December 2023 with my family. We had three staterooms but only I had the photo package. Whenever we were together as a group for a photo op, we scanned my band. All the pictures showed up in my account, regardless of who else was in them. Once I had them to download I could distribute as I pleased. Needless to say, if I was not present, their pictures did NOT show up in my account.

Having said that, there are no guarantees. I find that if you push a representative to give you an answer they will default to what is already said in the corporate web site. They certainly will NOT confirm anything from a forum.

In your case, I would be 95% sure it works as you think it does. For that nagging 5% doubt (and really, 2024 doesn't matter they could change it right before your cruise, or at least thats my kind of luck) Get the boarding group shot with everyone in it. And then go to the photo center (probably next day) and see if it's in your account. Trust but verify.
Thank you so much for your reply. Your sailing is indeed recent and insightful. Once again, this is exactly how I have come to understand this photo package for such a long time.

Can I ask you a few follow up questions?
Were your rooms linked in any fashion? Dining Time?
Did they charge you extra for pictures of people not on your photo package? The one rep said they would charge you extra. Yeah... extra.

"Once I had them to download I could distribute as I pleased" <--Right. And when I told her this, I had this unwarranted guilty feeling. I shouldn't have felt guilty. This is the most rational thing. Like sorry Disney, of course, I would share it with my family.... of course. And no, it makes no sense to have the other party just to have access... to the same photos.

"In your case, I would be 95% sure it works as you think it does. For that nagging 5% doubt (and really, 2024 doesn't matter they could change it right before your cruise, or at least thats my kind of luck) Get the boarding group shot with everyone in it. And then go to the photo center (probably next day) and see if it's in your account. Trust but verify."

Exactly this. Trust but verify.

There could also be a couple of other options here. I know you explained it, BUT family is different for alot of people. 2 rooms with mom and dad in one and kids in another - all photos link. 2 rooms with 2 sets of adults don't link. Yes it is a money gab, but also yes you are 2 separate travel parties that are "cheating" with a single package by putting someone in each photo. I know it is not that simple, but on paper it is. It also does not meant he pictures don't exist, they just don't automatically show up in your account. You can still go in and search all the spare photos and tag them I believe. You would have to do a little work, but SHOULD get more photos.

Thank you Luke for speak so plainly. I agree with you. Often time when I spoke with the rep, there's no nice way say it. I think I used to wording like "cheating the system" or "finding a loop hole". I'm not denying any of it because of said terms and conditions. But the contradicting and clearly more lenient reality people have experienced told me, well, why pay more? Clearly I don't have to.

We bought pictures at the end of our cruise. We were linked with my son and his girlfriend in the next room. We could not buy pictures of them alone due to privacy.

That said we could buy any family picture of them with us. We used our room card , went to look at pictures them alone taken the same time were not there.

I just wanted a nice picture of the 2 of them. They bought one for me…lol

This was in December.

Your response makes perfect sense. Thank you for your reply. And that's so sweet they bought one for you. Disney must be thrilled! Cha-ching!

We sailed in Jan as a party of 4 in 2 rooms (mom/dad then kid/grandma) without thinking we gave mom/dads room card/number- none of the pictures of kid were visible and while they eventually linked us to her (but not grandma) we had to switch and give HER room number/card so we’d get the group pictures and her alone.
Thank you for your response.

Yor situation will be similar to mine. I am traveling with my sister's family. Some of her kids will be in my room. She and her husband and her son will be in the connecting room. Let's face it, if there was an affordable room that fits 7 people, I'd choose that and buy photo package and this whole photo package terms and conditions and restriction talk wouldn't need to happen.

Thank you for your response.

Yor situation will be similar to mine. I am traveling with my sister's family. Some of her kids will be in my room. She and her husband and her son will be in the connecting room. Let's face it, if there was an affordable room that fits 7 people, I'd choose that and buy photo package and this whole photo package terms and conditions and restriction talk wouldn't need to happen.

It sounds as though the bulk of the party is your sister's family. In this situation, she should buy the unlimited photo package through her stateroom. Minor children in your stateroom would be included in her package. Then it's up to you to decide if you want to buy a package or simply buy a few extra pictures that are just you+DH.

Thank you Luke for speak so plainly. I agree with you. Often time when I spoke with the rep, there's no nice way say it. I think I used to wording like "cheating the system" or "finding a loop hole". I'm not denying any of it because of said terms and conditions. But the contradicting and clearly more lenient reality people have experienced told me, well, why pay more? Clearly I don't have to.
Based on a later post about your party, you are trying to find a loophole. Your stateroom should NOT be receiving pictures of the other stateroom. Only pictures that include all of you. Why? Because it's the rules and you are trying to skirt around the rules to save money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter